Last month, Southern Lord Recordings confirmed the collaboration between Ulver and Sunn O))) on a three-track release called Terrestrials. Today you get to hear how these two bands merge in the audio sample of the track "Eternal Return" streaming right now over here, where you will also be able to pre-order the release. Bear in mind that it is only an excerpt of the song. This release is dropping on February 4th.

Oslo, Norway, August 10th, 2008. Following their 200th gig, playing before 2000 people at the Øya festival, Sunn O))) teamed up with Norwegian legends Ulver at their Oslo studio, Crystal Canyon. They recorded three "live in improvisation" pieces, starting that evening and ending at dawn.

Ulver vocalist Kristoffer Rygg explains: "We were sitting in the console room, early in the morning, listening to the takes. Someone said, 'ah, sunrise over Crystal Canyon,' as if the night had been a dark one. We all laughed and Greg proposed it as a title. In that setting it sounded perfect. The boys had mentioned wanting the music to orient towards the light, like some lost pilgrim stretching before the sun. We kept that mental picture for the processing."

After the session, Ulver spent a fortnight enhancing the dynamics of the original recordings, adding their own distinctive sheen to the mix, while never losing sight of the Sunn O))).

O'Malley would join Ulver once in a blue moon to develop and sculpt the production more closely with Rygg overseeing additional recordings of trumpet, viola and violin and attempting to illuminate, and preserve, the unique atmosphere of the collaboration. Over the course of several of these short visits, now some years since the original recording session took place, things slowly grew to become Terrestrials.

Sunn O))) guitarist Stephen O'Malley: "I remember the vibe in the room back then was more rāga than it was rock. And despite the fact that the walls were literally shaking from volume, it was actually quite a blissed out, psychedelic session. I wanted to preserve that vibe in the final mix."

Terrestrials tracklist:

01. Let There Be Light
02. Western Horn
03. Eternal Return

Source: facebook.com
Band profile: Ulver

Posted: 10.12.2013 by BloodTears

Comments

BlueMobius - 11.12.2013 at 01:46
I like how they had to put it for $100.

From the sample, I don't really think this will be something I listen to. I find both of these bands rather boring and pretentious.
Unhealer - 11.12.2013 at 04:41
Sounds like I will use this as background music only... we'll see!
undi - 11.12.2013 at 12:27
Shadows of the Sun had the perfect amount and quality of ambient music.

This is more like incidental music or overly bland ambient music. There's no reason to listen to this when we have SotS.
!J.O.O.E.! - 11.12.2013 at 12:37
Written by undi on 11.12.2013 at 12:27

Shadows of the Sun had the perfect amount and quality of ambient music.

Well you've only heard a 4 minute sample so I don't see how one can declare there to be no reason to listen to this. Besides, what's the point in having only 1 ambient album worth listening to? I personally found SotS to be quite uninteresting myself, but I'm putting stock in Sunn O))) bringing something worthwhile to the table, which they generally manage to do.
undi - 14.12.2013 at 13:33
Written by !J.O.O.E.! on 11.12.2013 at 12:37

Written by undi on 11.12.2013 at 12:27

Shadows of the Sun had the perfect amount and quality of ambient music.

With "this" I meant everything I listned to here.
!J.O.O.E.! - 14.12.2013 at 13:38
Written by undi on 14.12.2013 at 13:33

With "this" I meant everything I listned to here.

Everything you could have listened to here totals 3 and a half minutes

News Ulver & Sunn O))) Collaboration - Streaming Online 9 04.02.2014 by ArcesseEum
News Ulver - Collaboration With Sunn O))) Due In February 9 18.11.2013 by Cynic Metalhead
News Alkerdeel - Collaboration With Gnaw Their Tongues Streaming Online 5.5 19.11.2013 by !J.O.O.E.!
News Sunn O))) - Collaboration With Scott Walker Announced 5.5 03.07.2014 by Ilham
News Spiritual Beggars - Part Ways With Vocalist, Replacement Announced & New Song Sample Online 5.5 07.06.2010 by Jan