Metallica are hoping to finally start working on their next album after a busy couple of weeks ahead, including guitarist Kirk Hammett's inaugural Fear FestEviL in San Francisco, a Grammy's performance with classical pianist Lang Lang and the DVD/Blu-ray release of Metallica Through The Never.

Hammett tells Billboard that the quartet will start working on the follow-up to 2008's Death Magnetic "in a couple of weeks. When we start, that's going to be our main priority, and we're pretty excited about it because we've been saying we need to start working on this album, but we've been procrastinating greatly with it. We've pretty much come up with every sort of excuse we can not to start work on the album, but we've run out of excuses, so we pretty much have to start work on it now."

Hammett adds: "We're a band that never has a shortage of ideas. You hear about these bands that are sitting in the studio and they don't have any songs, what are they gonna do? That's not Metallica. Metallica's problem is the total opposite. We have too many ideas. James (Hetfield) has, like, 800 ideas. I have 400. Those number alone are just crazy. That's formidable."

Hammett is also preparing for Metallica's Grammy appearance, during which the group will perform its 1988 single "One" with Lang Lang on January 26th: "That's going to be really interesting. It's going to be an arrangement that highlights some of Lang Lang's playing, but we're not lightening up the song just for him. We're still hanging onto all the heavy parts. He's just an amazing pianist; at one point he's going to be, like, weaving in and out of my guitar solo and playing parts of my guitar solo with me. I've never, ever experienced that before with anyone we've ever played with, so I'm going to be pretty psyched to be playing with him, to say the least. It's gonna be amazing."

Source: billboard.com
Band profile: Metallica

Posted: 17.01.2014 by deadone

Comments

Cynic Metalhead - 17.01.2014 at 13:17
Seriously, musicians' with 40 to 50 ideas makes up an awesome record. Stop chirping.

Make a decent album.
BynersA7X - 17.01.2014 at 13:21
"...we need to start working on this album, but we've been procrastinating greatly with it. We've pretty much come up with every sort of excuse we can not to start work on the album, but we've run out of excuses, so we pretty much have to start work on it now."

I was excited until I read this. Oh well... Let's just wait.
ManiacBlasphemer - 17.01.2014 at 13:46
They've been procrastinating ever since 1991... look at the time gaps between albums. They realized that releasing albums is no longer profitable, and the fact that they released bad ones since then confirms the rule. Why waste time to release new songs oftenly when for more than 20 years you played the same old classics in a venue that all people got familiarized with?
Nemo Atkins - 17.01.2014 at 13:59
They've been saying they were getting ready to start work on this album since 2011! I was a huge Metallica fan back in 2011, but now I've moved on because I got sick of waiting for this after all the constant "We're getting ready to start recording the next album" crap (although, admittedly, Lulu did not help: it was the first studio recording Metallica put out since I became a metal fan)!

*sigh* Well, at least they're finally getting started. As long as Rick Rubin isn't producing it, I reckon this could still turn out to be good. It's only because of the production that I don't listen to Death Magnetic: I thought the actual material itself was surprisingly good. Not their best material by any measure, but it was a solid return to metal that maybe could have done with a bit more trimming down (some songs had some very unnecessary passages that dragged the songs down).
LeKiwi - 17.01.2014 at 16:38
Written by Nemo Atkins on 17.01.2014 at 13:59

Who cares about when they release the next record. It comes when it comes...you don't have to stop being a fan just because it takes so long
Hellcult - 17.01.2014 at 22:10
It doesn't change the fact that it is gonna be another rubish album by rubishllica i do love the old albums even black album, load and reload and those are not trash metal albums but rest of them is just for money just so the fans can hear another lazy boring album. i will listen to it but i don't think it will be worth another listening. Metallica is not Trash metal anymore so for me it's not worth listening!
caimanjosh - 17.01.2014 at 22:46
Written by Hellcult on 17.01.2014 at 22:10

Metallica is not Trash metal anymore so for me it's not worth listening!

Actually, that's just the problem -- Metallica IS "trash metal" these days, alas. Of course, back in the old days, they were "thrash metal" and damn good at it.
Hellcult - 17.01.2014 at 23:38
Hehe - lost an 'h' lol
true man, true! thx
Hatebeard - 18.01.2014 at 00:32
I liked Death Magnetic and Beyond Magnetic. I thought that material was a big step in the right direction after the abortion St. Anger was.

I have a feeling that the next album is going to be no holds barred old school thrash metal...

...and it is going to shock everyone that has been hating on them for the last 20 years.

Naturally this statement here: "We've pretty much come up with every sort of excuse we can not to start work on the album, but we've run out of excuses, so we pretty much have to start work on it now." concerns me, but I believe they are still capable of it as musicians. Of course, I could be wrong and it might end up being a massive, steaming pile of shit...we shall see.
Mattybu - 18.01.2014 at 07:55
T - H - R - A - S - H metal. seems to be hard for people to grasp the name of that genre...

anyways, couldn't be less promising when Kirk himself says he's putting it off, I read that like "yeah, we don't really want to write another album but we have to for one reason or another and are putting it off and it will be shitty, probably"
Matus Dust - 18.01.2014 at 13:27
Yeah, almost like "don't expect too much, because we don't even want to start recording..". Meh, I was still a fan even after Death Magnetic, but this is getting ridicolous - it just seem like they're doing everything wrong.
qlacs - 18.01.2014 at 13:45
Written by Cynic Metalhead on 17.01.2014 at 13:17

Make a decent album.

About right!
theFIST - 18.01.2014 at 16:55
Written by Guest on 18.01.2014 at 00:32

the abortion St. Anger was.

I don"t consider it more than an average album, but i think it was a major step up from the previous albums (metallica and the loads) as it, just like the name suggests, did sound more angry and brought some energy back
In Bone Factory - 18.01.2014 at 19:49
I'm a fan with big hopes... for old times sake...
Nemo Atkins - 18.01.2014 at 20:20
Written by LeKiwi on 17.01.2014 at 16:38

Written by Nemo Atkins on 17.01.2014 at 13:59

My issue was more the fact that they'd said they'd been working on it for the last three years (they even mentioned working on it after doing their 30th anniversary shows in So What?). Lulu being the first album they released since I became a metal fan got me thinking they'd get started pretty quickly after that (since there's not really a lot they could have done to tour it), but after a year and a bit, I just got so sick of waiting (and I'd heard so much other good stuff) that I just gave up waiting and moved on.

Didn't mean to say by that that I'm no longer a Metallica fan. Just that I'm a grumpy fan who's annoyed they've taken so long to actually do something resembling progress on it after Lulu came out.
LeKiwi - 18.01.2014 at 20:23
Written by Nemo Atkins on 18.01.2014 at 20:20

I hear you...they're not a very reliable band, so - despite how much I enjoy most of their material - "moving on" is the right choice
No One is There - 19.01.2014 at 00:09
Another LuLu is coming ....!!!!
JohnDoe - 19.01.2014 at 10:04
I imagine the creation process like this: James comes and says - I've got 800 ideas. Kirk says all giddy - I've got 400 ideas. Poor Robert says - I've got some ideas. James goes - Meh, who cares. Lars has got no ideas so he'll mess up everyone elses. New album out, yay!!!!!!!!!!!
head banger - 22.01.2014 at 03:36
Unforgiven 4 !!!!!!!!
deadone - 22.01.2014 at 03:49
If it's as good as the stuff on Death Magnetic/Beyond Magnetic and the production improved I'll be a happy camper.
Lord Dimitriy - 22.01.2014 at 09:39
Does someone expect something good from these guys? Will we receive another portion of endless "Unforgiven dynasty"? Besides I've been reading news about their new almost for almost two years. As for my person, I don't expect much from them.
Dentura - 03.02.2014 at 11:03
Whatever, not sure if I'll care much, obviously I will be curious to what it sounds like since it'll be their first album of new material (just by themselves, without Lou Reed) but I probably won't pick it up, since I've found better music since Death Magnetic came out and I don't really care much for Metallica these days anyway.
hisham80 - 04.02.2014 at 10:34
Never heard of any honestly,are they trying to show us they're bigger than anyone else even if they're truly are

News Metallica - Start Working On New Album Later This Year 9 01.02.2011 by necrovamp
News Metallica - Continue Work On New Album, To Release Live Albums On CD 9 17.09.2014 by Zaphod
News Metallica - New Album Special Edition Details 7.5 11.07.2008 by matthioso
News Metallica - New Album Title 7.5 15.06.2008 by MetalManic_Joel
News Between The Buried And Me - Start Work On New Album 7 10.09.2014 by Fallen Ghost