It appears like there will no longer be two Queensrÿches. Singer Geoff Tate and his former band mates have reached an agreement and the legal battle is over. After two different versions of Queensrÿche appeared following a split with the long-time singer, a lawsuit had resulted in a ruling that each side could use the same name until the case went to trial or was settled. Both sides now seem relieved with the outcome and are ready to move on. Queensrÿche, fronted by Todd La Torre, will continue touring and recording as Queensrÿche while Geoff Tate will pursue other endeavours and have exclusive rights to perform Operation: Mindcrime I and II in their entirety.

The following joint statement was released: "We wanted to let Queensrÿche fans around the world know that an amicable settlement has been reached between Eddie Jackson, Scott Rockenfield, Michael Wilton and Geoff Tate with regard to the future of the Queensrÿche name. According to the agreement, original Queensrÿche members Eddie Jackson, Scott Rockenfield and Michael Wilton along with recent members, Todd La Torre and Parker Lundgren, will now be the sole entity recording and touring as Queensrÿche, performing selections from their entire musical catalog that spans over 30 years of material. Original Queensrÿche lead singer Geoff Tate will continue to record, perform and pursue a variety of other creative endeavors and, as part of the agreement, will have the exclusive rights to perform Operation: Mindcrime I and II in their entirety as a unique performance. Both sides wish each other well and are excited about what the future holds. We want to thank the fans for standing beside us through this ordeal and look forward to sharing our music with you for years to come."

Tate is pleased that the dispute was settled outside of a courtroom and will do a brief Queensrÿche "farewell" tour this summer before launching a new chapter of his career.

He stated to The Seattle Times: "One thing that's really important for people to understand is that this never went to court. They (Wilton, Jackson and Rockenfield) bought the name from me. But I retain Operation Mindcrime. It's sort of similar to the Pink Floyd situation where Roger Waters retained The Wall. Mindcrime was my thing and my story, so it's appropriate that I keep that. So they will continue on as Queensrÿche, and I will continue on as me."

Guitarist Michael Wilton said: "It's the rebirth of Queensrÿche and the way it used to be. We're rebuilding the Queensrÿche name."

Source: facebook.com
Band profile: Queensrÿche

Posted: 28.04.2014 by BloodTears

Comments

Maco - 28.04.2014 at 19:08
I guess it's a happy ending.
Pokermask - 28.04.2014 at 19:23
And everything is happy honky dory. The end.
The Shape 1973 - 28.04.2014 at 23:17
Letting Mindcrime go? I would have rather they lost the Queensryche name than lost the rights to perform Mindcrime.
thehondo - 29.04.2014 at 00:37
Written by The Shape 1973 on 28.04.2014 at 23:17

It says Geoff has "exclusive rights", but QRyche can play "any of their 30 year catalog"... so, which is it?
Dentura - 29.04.2014 at 03:43
I'm sure the real band can still play stuff from the Mindcrime duo of albums, I'm assuming Tate just has the rights to play the Mindcrime albums in their entirety as a means of telling the story (albeit poorly, since he sucks now and his band is terrible). Anyway, not that I should really care about this anymore, but good riddance that it's finally over. Now we don't need to hear from Tate ever again.
Fat & Sassy! - 29.04.2014 at 04:01
Operation: Dramacrime
Timelord - 29.04.2014 at 05:48
Here is my 2btc on the subject.............who fucking cares!
slayerules - 30.04.2014 at 02:28
No Chris De Garmo, No Geoff Tate and now no mindcrime... What's the sense on this...? Sorry but I can't give a damn for this band, respect their decisions though. It's just I can't consider it another way, and also their most recent albums are mediocre.
Risto - 30.04.2014 at 11:30
Written by slayerules on 30.04.2014 at 02:28

No Chris De Garmo, No Geoff Tate and now no mindcrime...

They would never let go of rights to perform songs off Operation: Mindcrime, that would be ridiculous. It means Tate has exclusive rights to perform the whole thing from start to finish.
slayerules - 02.05.2014 at 00:55
Written by Risto on 30.04.2014 at 11:30

Written by slayerules on 30.04.2014 at 02:28

No Chris De Garmo, No Geoff Tate and now no mindcrime...

I'm not quite sure reading the statement, it's a little confusing... but I suppose you're right. Losing rights to play any track from mindcrime would mean the end of the band, more or less.
fandango68 - 02.05.2014 at 23:06

well, that's a heck of a lot of rebuilding to be done... 'Hear in the Now Frontier', while not a great album, really was the last thing they produced which had any quality about the song writing, and that was 1997... everything since has been bland mediocrity, not worth the name. And frankly, that includes Mindcrime II.

News Queensrÿche - Part Ways With Geoff Tate, Todd La Torre Takes His Place 9 21.06.2012 by Chidder
News Geoff Tate - Announces His 'New' Queensrÿche Line-Up 7.5 02.09.2012 by Mountain King
News Geoff Tate's Queensrÿche - Glen Drover Decides To Leave 6 25.11.2012 by The Shape 1973
News Queensrÿche - Sign With Century Media, New Album Release Date 6 04.03.2013 by The Shape 1973
News Queensrÿche - Sign With Roadrunner/Loud & Proud Records 6 27.08.2010 by The Shape 1973