Slipknot's frontman Corey Taylor has announced that their new album is almost done. Corey Taylor was recently talking to Loudwire's Nights With Full Metal Jackie regarding the completion of their new album, which will be their first studio album since 2008's All Hope Is Gone. You can read his update below.

Corey declared: "The album is done. Oh yes. I'd say 98 percent done. I'm in the process of heading to the studio to give a listen, see if there's anything we need to touch up. But yeah, it is very close. The next step is the mix, and we're going to try to get it out very soon. There will be big announcements soon. Big things to hear, soon. That's really all I can say about it. I know we're anything, if not diligent to our plan. The plan is to just slowly but surely get people to lose their minds for the next couple of months with just little stuff here and there leaked."

He also stated: "This one, it just feels, there's something weird about this one. Obviously this is the first album we're making without Paul. After everything we went through, there's a catharsis that comes with this, being able to throw all the emotion and aggression out that we've been holding onto. At the same time, getting to be creative again. Feeling that juice coming back into us. It's been a real positive experience just from an artistic standpoint, a lyrical standpoint. We're making an album that's not just a reflection. Let's just get new music out there. There's something very vital with what we're trying to do. There's something very visceral with the emotion we're playing with and trying to tell the story of a band that's gone through hell, and yet we're back. It's been really fulfilling."

Slipknot recently parted ways with drummer Joey Jordison and there is still no official word on who will be playing drums on the new album.

Source: loudwire.com
Band profile: Slipknot

Posted: 03.07.2014 by Sword_Chant

Comments

!J.O.O.E.! - 03.07.2014 at 21:39
INB4 "Y arz Shitslop on MetulzStørm!??"
Cynic Metalhead - 03.07.2014 at 21:42
Cool. Let it roll in.

Oh, hey, can anyone update me whether Slipknot's website and its Facebook timeline or display pic are still black? Are they still holding that shit up?
Ilham - 03.07.2014 at 21:54
Curious. I am.
Mr. Cheeky - 03.07.2014 at 22:29
Written by Cynic Metalhead on 03.07.2014 at 21:42

Cool. Let it roll in.

Yup still black.
Teravolt_Danny - 04.07.2014 at 02:47
Written by !J.O.O.E.! on 03.07.2014 at 21:39

INB4 "Y arz Shitslop on MetulzStørm!??"

They are a metal band, they deserve to be on metalstorm.

But they still suck ass as a band.
!J.O.O.E.! - 04.07.2014 at 02:48
Written by Teravolt_Danny on 04.07.2014 at 02:47

They are a metal band, they deserve to be on metalstorm.

But they still suck ass as a band.

Yep, they'e metal all right. Better than some people give them credit for though I think.
deadone - 04.07.2014 at 02:57
Written by Teravolt_Danny on 04.07.2014 at 02:47

But they still suck ass as a band.

They're definitely a fucked up bunch of dudes if they're giving blowjobs to donkeys.

But then is the donkey complaining?

On a serious note the last album was pretty decent. And then there is Iowa.
Teravolt_Danny - 04.07.2014 at 03:03
Written by !J.O.O.E.! on 04.07.2014 at 02:48

Written by Teravolt_Danny on 04.07.2014 at 02:47

They are a metal band, they deserve to be on metalstorm.

But they still suck ass as a band.

I just can't find anything of redeeming value in their music.

Do you like catchy melodies? They have none.

Do you like technicality? They are decent musicians, but 90% of other metal bands probably have more instrumental skill.

Do you like brutality? There are a thousand bands more heavy and brutal than this band.

Do you like originality? Yeah...

I just can't think of a single thing that this band does well, or even above average.
!J.O.O.E.! - 04.07.2014 at 03:06
Written by Teravolt_Danny on 04.07.2014 at 03:03

I just can't find anything of redeeming value in their music.

Do you like catchy melodies? They have none.

Do you like originality? Yeah...

I don't recall many, if any bands like them. Bands that mix rap, nu metal and alternative thrash. I find them to have plenty of catchy songs, a decent amount of aggression in their own conventional kind of way, and so on. If you don't like them you don't like them. I've always found them pretty fun bar their last record.
Rupert - 04.07.2014 at 03:15
Written by Teravolt_Danny on 04.07.2014 at 03:03

I just can't find anything of redeeming value in their music.

Do you like catchy melodies? They have none.

Do you like originality? Yeah...

I still find some of their more drawn out songs are some of the creepiest songs I've heard.
Mattybu - 04.07.2014 at 03:18
I'm with Danny on this one, their music ranges from decent listenable tunes to "would be deeply embarrassed to be caught listening to this" level stuff, but there isn't really one element of it that stands out to me as being something really special.
I_Die_Often - 04.07.2014 at 03:40
They're still better than Manowar IMO!
Rulatore - 04.07.2014 at 03:46
Written by !J.O.O.E.! on 03.07.2014 at 21:39

INB4 "Y arz Shitslop on MetulzStørm!??"

can't get enough of this comment
deadone - 04.07.2014 at 03:46
Written by Teravolt_Danny on 04.07.2014 at 03:03

I just can't find anything of redeeming value in their music.

Fair enough.

Disclaimer: I'm not a Slipknot fan by any stretch of the imagination. I like a few songs and that's it. Corey's voice grates with me a lot of the time too.

Quote:
Do you like catchy melodies? They have none.

- Catchy melodies - plenty! Wait and Bleed or Spit It Out comes into mind straight away. And they're very good at memorable and catchy more rythmic stuff ala Heretic Anthem, Surfacing, All Hope Is Gone etc.

Quote:

Technicality don't mean shit really. Surely song writing is more important.

I'd never deny a band like Psycroptic is technically skilled. But they suck at song writing.

Quote:

Again brutality for sake of brutality don't mean shit.

Slipknot do very good mosh music. They're certainly not a slam band or ultra brutal DM band, nor do they pretend they are.

Quote:
Do you like originality? Yeah...

Slipknot are very original. Not much sounded like them when they came out. And even today not a lot sounds like them.

Quote:

I've noticed you rate new Insomnium a 9.

I give it a 5 because I don't think there's a single thing that Insomnium does well, unless tedium is part of their goals.

It's all down to personal opinion.

But there is no denying Slipknot are original and do what they do quite well. Indeed they've managed to retain their status far better than a lot of bands of that period or the ones that came after. Part of that is due to their ability - they write albums that appeal to their fans. Meanwhile who still bothers with Shadows Fall or Spineshank or Chimaira or whatever.
Reaper_Redeamer - 04.07.2014 at 03:55
98,583757236573265723652365923 % yeah such an update
Darth Satanious - 04.07.2014 at 05:01
Written by deadone on 04.07.2014 at 03:46

Meanwhile who still bothers with Shadows Fall

The Art of Balance is one of the tightest Metal albums in history young boy.
deadone - 04.07.2014 at 05:04
Written by Darth Satanious on 04.07.2014 at 05:01

Written by deadone on 04.07.2014 at 03:46

Meanwhile who still bothers with Shadows Fall

The Art of Balance is one of the tightest Metal albums in history young boy.

Totally agree 100%. And what have they done since that's been even 20% as good as that one? They're relatively forgotten too in the mainstream press and their last album didn't get much attention anywhere I went in metaldom.

Slipknot on the other hand still gets a lot of attention and All Hope Is Lost got reasonable coverage and praise.

And I am a far bigger Shadows Fall fan than Slipknot, a band I'm not really a fan of at all bar a couple of songs.
Darth Satanious - 04.07.2014 at 05:34
Written by deadone on 04.07.2014 at 05:04

Written by Darth Satanious on 04.07.2014 at 05:01

Written by deadone on 04.07.2014 at 03:46

Meanwhile who still bothers with Shadows Fall

The Art of Balance is one of the tightest Metal albums in history young boy.

The problem here is that I can't get behind the argument that either praise, media attention, continued fan support is measurement for anything like music quality of a band.

If you ask me both bands have watered down with their latest releases.

You haven't read anything about latest Shadows Fall albums? I have barely seen any discussion about the band as a whole with the exception of the few convos here and there in the band's official thread in any forum, discussions that never go past a couple of posts before the thread goes silent and dies once again. Slipknot is and will always be more of a popular and heated topic because the band was one of the icons of the Nu Metal movement which saw huge popularity and as icon Slipknot became the easy target for detractors of that subgenre.

Shadows Fall has pretty much gone under the radar from any hate and their success wasn't anything to compare with Slipknot's if my memory doesn't fail me, speaking about album sales that is. When Shadows Fall came out people where very busy hammering Trivium as the Metalcore bastards to pay any attention to SF.
deadone - 04.07.2014 at 06:26
Written by Darth Satanious on 04.07.2014 at 05:34

Except other than personal opinion, numbers is all we have for measuring quality. Another topic though!

Quote:

You're right about Slipknot being bigger.

SF were quite big though especially with the IMO mediocre War Within. They got to 20 on Billboard Top 200 (and not the more alternative Billboard Heatseekers list but the mainstream one), got nominated for a Grammy (something reserved for popular bands) and signed to Atlantic and Roadrunner. They were very much flavour of the month at that time.

They then continued dropping the ball with uninteresting albums that got them nowhere and saw them fade away. They still do alright on charts sales volumes have plummeted (see below). The Metal press doesn't seem to care about them either anymore, even the commercial ones ala Metal Hammer.

edit: Checked SF first week sales:

- Fire From The Sky / #38 / 10,000
- Retribution / #35 / 13,000
- Threads of Life / #46 / 12,700
- The War Within / #20 / 39,250
- The Art of Balance / - / 4,500

Slipknot:

-All Hope Is Gone / #1/ 239,516
-Volume 3 / #2/ 242,683
-Iowa / #3/ 254,000

Shows difference in band popularity for Slipknot and Shadows Fall. Also shows how Shadows Fall had generated good will with Art Of Balance which resulted in massively increased sales of War Within. First week sales are often based around fan base made with previous album - it's why Pantera's FBD went number 1 for example.

In any case Slipknot have obviously maintained fan loyalty unlike SF whose fans aren't buying anymore. After all Slipknot lost a mere 6% in sales between Iowa and All Hope Is Gone (14,484) whereas Shadows Fall has lost 75% (29,250) of it's sales between War Within and Fire From The Sky.

And for comparatives, Metallica :

-Death Magnetic: 490,000 (bare in mind first week was truncated to 3 days only)
-St Anger: 418,000
-Reload: 436,000
-Load: 680,000 (best debut for Metallica since modern charts)
-Metallica: 650,000

So Metallica has lost 28% of sales since it's best debut Load (remember comment about first week sales often representing success of previous album - well Load came after the massive Black album so of course it was going to sell. And one can see impact of less popular predecessor on new release e.g. Reload and St Anger. Death Magnetic had massive marketing campaign to restore consumer confidence).

So Slipknot having lost only 6% indicates overall fan satisfaction with the band. Bear in mind we've had overall CD sales plummeting in this period.
Jtbmetal123 - 04.07.2014 at 07:33
It better be good and not another All Hope is Gone.
BlueMobius - 04.07.2014 at 08:37
I have to say I liked Volume 3 a lot. hopefully this is like that.
Machiavelli - 04.07.2014 at 09:25
Written by BlueMobius on 04.07.2014 at 08:37

I have to say I liked Volume 3 a lot. hopefully this is like that.

Yes! A voice of reason at the end of the noise!
Opethian - 04.07.2014 at 19:59
Fingers crossed. Thats all i can say
Cynic Metalhead - 04.07.2014 at 21:19
Written by Teravolt_Danny on 04.07.2014 at 02:47

Written by !J.O.O.E.! on 03.07.2014 at 21:39

INB4 "Y arz Shitslop on MetulzStørm!??"

But they still suck ass as a band.

They don't suck, they still kick some heavy ass with music. The only problem with 'Knot is they've downgraded their music and last album did reflect it. Otherwise, every metal fan somehwere deep down loves Slipknot for their sheer aggression and some heavy music. I really can't say about others but you can count me 'Knot fan though.

As for new record, as I said, let it roll in.
Mattybu - 04.07.2014 at 22:20
Written by Cynic Metalhead on 04.07.2014 at 21:19

I would think a lot of metalheads don't identify at all with the particular brand of aggression in their music, which seems to me to be either hot-topic teen angst at times or sort of a somewhat offbeat type at other times. Or trying to be offbeat. I'm not really an expert but they are one of those bands that doesn't seem all too similar to many others out there.
b0sse - 05.07.2014 at 07:36
I used to love Slipknot back in the day as a teenager when the self-titled and the Iowa album hit big, but since then I've kinda lost interest in them. Either cause their material after Iowa was worse, or because I grew up and my tastes changed. I have no idea.

Would still like to hear their new album though, if just to hear what they're sounding like now that Paul is dead and Joey has left.
slayerules - 06.07.2014 at 12:31
I still think Slipknot was one of the most groundbreaking bands in the beginning of the new millennium, and that their self-titled album is great, but after this I gradually lost a my interest in them. I listened to Iowa many times and it's not bad but can't be compared to the previous one, Volume 3 sounded too commercial and very nu metal oriented, and about All Hope Is Gone... I wasn't even able to finish the listening, one of the most boring albums I've listened to in the last decade.

I don't mind the sales, for me this band has lost almost all the freshness and intensity they surprised me with in the Slipknot album. Just a question of tastes, don't forget it...
deadone - 07.07.2014 at 01:40
Written by Mattybu on 04.07.2014 at 22:20

Written by Cynic Metalhead on 04.07.2014 at 21:19

Aren't most metalheads "angsty teens"?

Compared to a lot "proper" metal, Slipknot is extremely aggressive. Even a lot of DM bands lack aggression - they plod along without every getting aggressive. In terms of aggression I'd say Slipknot is closer to Slayer or Suicidal Tendencies or Kreator than say watered down melodic death metal, power "flower" metal, cut and paste thrash, goth metal, folk metal, pirate metal etc etc.

In fact a lot of modern metal comes across far more "emo" than in the past (e.g. we now have "depressive black metal" and melodic death has gone ploddy and miserable)
Mattybu - 07.07.2014 at 01:51
Written by deadone on 07.07.2014 at 01:40

Written by Mattybu on 04.07.2014 at 22:20

Aren't most metalheads "angsty teens"?

I didn't say anywhere that they weren't.

Nor did I say, "LOL slipknot is poser gay muziks not lyke the Real DEATH METAL: with hreal aggression not for poser wimpsss", although you seem to think I did.
deadone - 07.07.2014 at 02:02
Written by Mattybu on 07.07.2014 at 01:51

I didn't say anywhere that they weren't.

You did mention something about metal heads possibly not "caring for their brand of aggression."

I merely pointed out most people that listen to metal are angsty teens and then pointed out how a lot of metal genres no longer have any aggression unlike say in the 1980s (Thrash/Crossover) or the early 1990s (even if it was early macho aggression ala Groove or demented/brutal aggression ala some Death Metal in early 1990s).
Mattybu - 07.07.2014 at 02:12
Written by deadone on 07.07.2014 at 02:02

Well, yes, I did point out that some metal hands wouldn't like their particular brand of aggression, and even that brand I think changes at times. I've heard awful songs by them like People = Shit (angst teen) and then other better songs like Before I Forget which is sort of a different, offbeat type of aggression.

Whether or not "MOST" people do or do not like it isn't what I was commenting on, just that a "LOT" probably don't, including myself. Which isn't to say aggression is always the element I look for most in metal/music, either.
deadone - 07.07.2014 at 02:23
Written by Mattybu on 07.07.2014 at 02:12

I agree many metal heads didn't like Slipknot. A lot I knew IRL and online didn't like them because they were Nu and not officially endorsed "trve metal." These are the same types that liked melodic DM but then derided Metalcore as not trve metal. Some of them had previously liked Slipknot before discovering trve" metal at which point they dumped them in favour of whatever trve metal of the month/

I actually like People=Shit but then I'm not one for cereberal aural exercises, especially as part of the appeal of metal for me is it's juvenile nature.

Quote:

I like it, but not as aggression "coz I is mad" but rather as energy.

As for Sipknot, I wish they had a better "clean" vocalist. Corey does the shouts well but his clean voice can grate.

It had improved on All Hope Is Gone.
DreamingDesire - 13.08.2014 at 00:31
I'm not so into Slipknot now, but believe it or not they were the bands that brought me to the world of metal when I was a kid, along with Linkin Park, Korn and Static-X.

Will be interesting to see what they come up with without Paul and Joey.

News Wolvhammer - Complete New Album 6 15.08.2011 by !J.O.O.E.!
News Summoning - Complete Work On New Album, Tracklist Revealed 5.5 14.02.2013 by styGian714
News Ancient - To Record New Album After Almost 10 Years 5.5 24.12.2013 by M C Vice
News Krallice - Complete Work On New Album, New Song Online 5.5 09.09.2009 by S.K.Ø.M
News Fen - Complete Work On New Album 5.5 08.10.2012 by Dentura