Metal Storm logo
Wintersun - All Shows Canceled

Finland's extreme power metal outfit Wintersun have canceled all scheduled shows in 2009 due to further problems with the completion of their album "Time". The band's frontman Jari Mäenpää posted the following message on the band's official website:

"There has come again unexpected problems with technology, which will make finishing the "Time" album even more harder than it has been. Which will delay it even more. There's also some personal problems concerning my apartment.

Because of all the problems, I have fallen under a serious amounts of stress, which is sometimes causing me "writer's blocks". This album making is now turned into such a "risky business", that I have no [choice], but to cancel Summerbreeze and Bloodstock.

The thing is, the album has to be done first, before we can play any shows. Playing just old songs after many years isn't something we want to do and what probably no one wants to see.

After the album has been mixed, I need to mix again a "backuptrack livemix" (of the synths&orchestrations). Then we have to of course practise the new songs and arrange them into "live format" (especially mine and Teemu's guitar parts). We also need to update our humble live gear.

All these arrangements take time, so we don't want to risk it, that we might have to cancel the shows last minute. It must be done now and put finishing the album the number one priority. After the album is done, we will start booking shows again.

I know there's lots of disappointed people and I have to apologize. But I hope that you..ll understand my decision under these circumstances. I have to put the album first and finish it before we play any shows. Thanks for listening!

Jari"

Source: wintermadness.net
Band profile: Wintersun
Posted: 02.03.2009 by Sjuk

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 122   [ 1 ignored ]   Visited by: 669 users
02.03.2009 - 00:35
flamey
Epic.
02.03.2009 - 00:43
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
Thats it! Time is NEVER going to come out. ever.
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

Music was my life, music brought me to life and music is how I will be remembered long after I leave this life. When I die there will be a final waltz in my head that only I can hear.
02.03.2009 - 01:13
MeloDeathViking
Written by LeChron James on 02.03.2009 at 00:43

Thats it! Time is NEVER going to come out. ever.

hahahaha so true, I was totally looking forward to this album, now, I don't even know. Can you really look forward to an album if it's never actually going to be released?
----
"I am not superstitious, but I'm a little 'stitious." - Michael Scott
02.03.2009 - 01:23
Brandon
God fucking dammit. i highly doubt this will be out this year. i've been looking forward to this album so much. so much that i don't think i can look forward to it anymore. all my happiness for it has been drained by all the delays.
02.03.2009 - 01:29
Galar
Wicked Mung
LOL. IM CHANGING MY NAME RIGHT NOW. NO JOKE EITHER....
----
YOUR ARGUMENT IS INVALID, SUCK A DICK
02.03.2009 - 01:37
Warman
Erotic Stains
No surprise...
----
02.03.2009 - 01:51
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Sounds like we have hot candidate for Best Drama 2009
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

02.03.2009 - 01:51
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by Warman on 02.03.2009 at 01:37

No surprise...

Yeah, seriously.

How much you wanna bet he hasn't even started?
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
02.03.2009 - 01:56
Valaskjalf
Account deleted
Man....seriously, how can there be even MORE technical problems? Do these guys plug their pc's into a freekin swimming pool or something ridiculous thats causing all these problems or what? Do they let their dogs piss all over the hardware or what!?

But all in all Im glad the album is their priority, not that I would have been able to see any of their shows so no harm done in that sense...I just wish these stupid "technical issues" would clear up its becoming somewhat idiotic at the moment.
02.03.2009 - 02:00
corrupt
With a lowercase c
Admin
How can this album not disappoint? By now it's (Tales Of Ithiria)³. And that didn't go so well. I'm losing more and more interest in the band.
----
02.03.2009 - 02:03
I have no doubt that this will be a great album, at least the canceling of the concerts shows that he really is trying to get this thing done. I think what bugs me most is that this album was supposed to be out 2 years ago. We should be looking forward to the third Wintersun album by now. But oh well, if it compares with the debut it will be well worth the wait.
02.03.2009 - 02:07
Warman
Erotic Stains
Written by Doc G. on 02.03.2009 at 01:51

Yeah, seriously.

How much you wanna bet he hasn't even started?

Nah, he has probably written one or two intros already. Maybe he even has a chorus to some song in his head?
Damn, I can't imagine how furious Nuclear Blast must be at him? I'd love to hear one of probably several hundred converstations between Jari and NB about the delay.
----
02.03.2009 - 02:12
Warman
Erotic Stains
BTW Rock, how much do you wanna bet about Jari taking some time off during the recording? He must be under a lot of pressure and stress. "Time" being a pain in the ass and then something with his apartment. I bet his walls or floor are covered in mould due to damages from leaking water or something.
----
02.03.2009 - 02:20
Harlequin
I can foresee the future!
Yesterday I predicted the album will be renamed in "Later"! This will happen!
"Time" is kind of turning into the Duke Nukem of the metal scene.
----
00:40 - Doomface
Mikael Akerfeldt doesn't age like humans do.
02.03.2009 - 02:22
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by Warman on 02.03.2009 at 02:12

BTW Rock, how much do you wanna bet about Jari taking some time off during the recording? He must be under a lot of pressure and stress. "Time" being a pain in the ass and then something with his apartment. I bet his walls or floor are covered in mould due to damages from leaking water or something.

Lol. So? my house is falling apart, but I still manage to get up and go to work 45 hours a week.

And about the conversations with the record company, I'd give my soul just to sit in on some of their meetings. Have you ever not completed a school project you should have handed in weeks previous? But you keep making excuses to your teacher like "uhhh, my grandmother died and I had to go to the funeral", "my dog ate my homework", or "some loan sharks came and took my computer as collateral so I couldn't do any research". This is exactly what it sounds like to me.
----
- George Carlin
02.03.2009 - 02:24
elven
Time = Chinese Democracy
02.03.2009 - 02:30
Warman
Erotic Stains
Written by Doc G. on 02.03.2009 at 02:22

Lol. So? my house is falling apart, but I still manage to get up and go to work 45 hours a week.

And about the conversations with the record company, I'd give my soul just to sit in on some of their meetings. Have you ever not completed a school project you should have handed in weeks previous? But you keep making excuses to your teacher like "uhhh, my grandmother died and I had to go to the funeral", "my dog ate my homework", or "some loan sharks came and took my computer as collateral so I couldn't do any research". This is exactly what it sounds like to me.

Haha my house is or rather was a mess too. I took that example from my life a couple of years ago.

I know exactly what you mean about those excuses! At work I have used the "funeral" excuse two times, but I don't think that works anymore. So I've instead started with: "My dad's an alcoholic and he's a rehab, but he's coming home over the weekend and I wanna see him." It's the best! My dad is an alcoholic, but neither do I live with him or care about what he's doing. But yeah, I'd sell my soul to attend one of those meetings.
----
02.03.2009 - 02:44
Gobobbles
Account deleted
This really sux for Jari, because unless "Time" is one of the greatest metal albums of all time...it's not gonna live up to the way people are building hype in their minds. But I guess if it's at least as good as the first one...I for one won't be disappointed
02.03.2009 - 02:47
Number Juan
Oh for fuck's sake. I really hope this album doesn't become Wintersun's Chinese Democracy.
----
A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand. - Bertrand Russell
02.03.2009 - 02:57
-DC-002-
Mastercommander
I don't even care that much anymore. The album will come out when it does. My hopes aren't up, and I have no great anticipation for when it comes out. I'm sure it will be a good album. Jari might be digging his careers own grave.
----
Coldgrits
02.03.2009 - 03:18
Promonex
Cathemeral
Elite
Written by AMonitorDarkly on 02.03.2009 at 02:03

I have no doubt that this will be a great album, at least the canceling of the concerts shows that he really is trying to get this thing done.

No, it just means he can't take the pressure of knowing that he has a deadline for the album. However, this does not mean that he'll actually get started anytime soon. Procrastination is an asshole, take it from me.

On a positive note: no Wintersun at Summer Breeze means that I might get to see a good band instead
----
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu... This is the truth! This is my belief! ...At least for now.
- The Mystery of Life, Vol. 841 Ch. 26
02.03.2009 - 03:23
Glower
All shows for 2009?

Goddammit.
02.03.2009 - 03:39
Sy-Furr
Wow...well make the album right first...then worry about the rest of the BS.
Can't wait for TIME!
02.03.2009 - 03:47
Promonex
Cathemeral
Elite
Written by Glower on 02.03.2009 at 03:23

All shows for 2009?

Goddammit.

All scheduled shows. Who knows, maybe he will finally have it done in the course of the year, so he might give a little concert in December or so. But he's been canceling shows with the same old excuse for the past two or three years, so I wouldn't keep up my hopes.
----
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu... This is the truth! This is my belief! ...At least for now.
- The Mystery of Life, Vol. 841 Ch. 26
02.03.2009 - 04:04
warrior_of_ice
Hmm, i wonder which will be released first, Time(lessness) or Sins of the Past? both have been taking forfuckinever.
02.03.2009 - 04:06
soulintent
This makes absolutely no sense to me. At all. He HAS a record label. What the fuck are these technical issues that not even his record label can resolve? It's not like he's independent and if his computer crashes then he's screwed. Why hasn't the record label had him in the studio or something like that? It's even Nuclear Blast! It's not like some small label that can't back him. Will someone explain to me?
02.03.2009 - 04:32
Harmonic
Account deleted
Replace the technical in "technical issues" with health, personal, addiction, depression or something along those lines and you've probably got a story that's closer to the truth.

Jari's unwillingness (inability?) to play live shows likely has more to do with being in rehab or therapy, although I suppose "writer's block" is a good catch-all term for "I'm not producing anything worthwhile 'cause my life is fucked up, and I'm not ready to tell the world about it yet."

My prediction? His label will ditch his band before this album comes out, and then we'll hear the truth. Or, if the album somehow gets released, it's going to be as lame as all fuck. Nothing that takes this long could possibly sound any good. (Throw in too many orchestrations and Time could wind up sounding as uninspired as Priest's Nostradamus.)

Maybe Jari should have just stayed with Ensiferum.
02.03.2009 - 04:43
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by Promonex on 02.03.2009 at 03:18

On a positive note: no Wintersun at Summer Breeze means that I might get to see a good band instead

I see torches and pitchforks coming over the horizon.....
----
- George Carlin
02.03.2009 - 05:02
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
It's the new "Chinese Democracy"...
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
02.03.2009 - 05:04
green11420
Duke Nukem: Forever

Hits total: 9149 | This month: 20