Metal Storm logo
Early-Hours Metal / Music

11.07.2014 - 04:35
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Something I've noticed recently is how drastically my listening habits change after about 1am. Admittedly for me it's mostly ambient, downtempo, piano and classical stuff (preferably low key and understated), drone and the like, though a few metal stuff creeps in. Again, generally more neutral, non-energetic sort of things. I guess it makes sense that things would calm down a bit. Probably my favourite time to be listening to music really.

Some nice night-metal(ish):

Sunn O))): Link
Blut aus Nord: Link
Katatonia: Link
Menace Ruine: Link
Nadja: Link
Velvet Cacoon: Link
Earth: Link
Noekk: Link
Horseback: Link
In The Woods: Link
Junius: Link
Leviathan: Link
Moon: Link
Pulsefear (Pre-The Axis of Perdition): Link
Tenhornedbeast: Link
Xasthur: Link
Beherit: Link

I could post a bunch of non-metal stuff but probably not the place for it, but stuff I find perfect for these hours is the likes of Boards of Canada, Erik Satie, Sleep Research Facility, Depeche Mode, The Mount Fuji Doomjazz Corporation, Deaf Center and the like.

So yeah, what's yours, if any?

This post was brought to you at 2.35am
11.07.2014 - 04:43
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Written by [user id=4365] on 11.07.2014 at 04:35

2.35am

At that time I like to listen to this, honestly.

But if we're talking to songs for sleeping, I like psytrance and goatrance. *hides*
Stuff like Will O Wisp or Kobolds Instinct is great for sleeping.
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
11.07.2014 - 04:45
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Karlabos on 11.07.2014 at 04:43

At that time I like to listen to this, honestly.

But if we're talking to songs for sleeping, I like psytrance and goatrance. *hides*
Stuff like Will O Wisp or Kobolds Instinct is great for sleeping.

Man, now I know where BaN ripped off this track from.

I've not listened to much psytrance to be honest. Wouldn't that get you in the mood for dancing?

I don't even know what goatrance is, and not sure I want to.
11.07.2014 - 04:56
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Written by [user id=4365] on 11.07.2014 at 04:45

Man, now I know where BaN ripped off this track from.

I've not listened to much psytrance to be honest. Wouldn't that get you in the mood for dancing?

I don't even know what goatrance is, and not sure I want to.

The lyrics on that track bring tears to my eyes.

With the right trance choices the beats are so fast that they are undanceable and my brain starts to choose ignoring them and paying attention only on the background melodies, and I end up tripping until I feel asleep. Kinda works like an ambient, actually.

Hear a Will O Wisp track, for instance. =P
----
- Reimu Hakurei
11.07.2014 - 04:59
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Karlabos on 11.07.2014 at 04:56

The lyrics on that track bring tears to my eyes.

With the right trance choices the beats are so fast that they are undanceable and my brain starts to choose ignoring them and paying attention only on the background melodies, and I end up tripping until I feel asleep. Kinda works like an ambient, actually.

Nope nope nope. Skimming through that just makes me think of amphetamines and dirty night clubs. That would do the total opposite if making me sleepy =P
11.07.2014 - 05:42
wormdrink414
Elite
Same for me most of the time. Really the only time I can handle listening to ambient stuff and more melancholy stuff for extended periods is when I'm ready for bed. Always wondered if it's related to my finding stuff funnier when I'm tired too, sleepiness makes me more emotionally malleable i guess.
11.07.2014 - 05:46
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
If I push myself long enough I often get that drunk-tiredness thing, and I often find myself chuckling at inane things.
11.07.2014 - 05:53
Lit.
Account deleted
For lack of irony present:

11.07.2014 - 05:58
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
That actually sounds way more betterer than I remember stuff from that album sounding. Think I need to revisit it.
11.07.2014 - 06:24
MetalDoomMaster
Beherit - Drawing Down The Moon. Summerlands is probably the best pre-bed song ever.
11.07.2014 - 13:51
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by MetalDoomMaster on 11.07.2014 at 06:24

Beherit - Drawing Down The Moon. Summerlands is probably the best pre-bed song ever.

Actually Electric Doom Synthesis would also be a perfect album for late night listening. Amazing ritualistic ambient.
11.07.2014 - 14:06
ANGEL REAPER
Slowing down after 1 am...nah i just keep up with whatever i listened to before early hours or just stick with thrash/black-thrash....
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
11.07.2014 - 15:02
Ilham
Giant robot
Written by Karlabos on 11.07.2014 at 04:56

How can you..? I haven't even had my coffee and I'm already jumping up and down. Dude if this is the music you use to set up the mood before bed, you must be awesome to have at parties.

Oh and what the hell is goatrance?
11.07.2014 - 15:08
Ilham
Giant robot
I used to listen to two lullabies before bed each night, but it seems I don't need those anymore, I can go on with something extreme and quit it cold turkey when it's bedtime. But here are the two tracks I talked about:

11.07.2014 - 15:12
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
It would be so cool if Deathspell did a whole album of stuff like that. Orchestras, gospel vocals, really "religious" if you know what I mean.
11.07.2014 - 15:22
Ilham
Giant robot
Yeah I tried to look for something like that at some point. But I only found Gregorian choirs and other liturgical music that didn't have that particular atmosphere that makes DsO's Prayers so unique.
11.07.2014 - 17:22
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Written by Ilham on 11.07.2014 at 15:02

How can you..? I haven't even had my coffee and I'm already jumping up and down. Dude if this is the music you use to set up the mood before bed, you must be awesome to have at parties.

Yeah, I never understood why they play lullabies at parties...
Jokes aside, I guess you just get used to it. A person new to death metal for instance will never think on the possibility of sleeping along it. But you start listening, get used and then can do everything by the sound of it. Even sleep. Same goes for trance, I guess.
Written by Ilham on 11.07.2014 at 15:02

Oh and what the hell is goatrance?

This is trance. When the beats get far faster and the melodics get darker then it's goatrance. Like that Will O Wisp track.
----
- Reimu Hakurei
11.07.2014 - 17:44
Ilham
Giant robot
Written by Karlabos on 11.07.2014 at 17:22

Yeah, I never understood why they play lullabies at parties...
Jokes aside, I guess you just get used to it. A person new to death metal for instance will never think on the possibility of sleeping along it. But you start listening, get used and then can do everything by the sound of it. Even sleep. Same goes for trance, I guess.
This is trance. When the beats get far faster and the melodics get darker then it's goatrance. Like that Will O Wisp track.

Ok thank you for the clarification, of course I know trance. I just wasn't aware of that particular name for that kind of -what I just called- "faster trance".

I might like my metal to be extreme, I still can't sleep to DM or any other kind. During exceptional circumstances likes festivals, parties, drunkeness, I can. But never will I put music like that on and fall asleep to it haha.
11.07.2014 - 17:48
Alex F
Slick Dick Rick
Written by [user id=4365] on 11.07.2014 at 15:12

It would be so cool if Deathspell did a whole album of stuff like that. Orchestras, gospel vocals, really "religious" if you know what I mean.

Oh my god I would love that so much......
11.07.2014 - 17:49
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Alex F on 11.07.2014 at 17:48

Oh my god I would love that so much......

I'm surprised no one's done it to be honest. Just like I'm surprised more people haven't done proper BaN worship.
11.07.2014 - 17:52
Alex F
Slick Dick Rick
Written by [user id=4365] on 11.07.2014 at 17:49

I'm surprised no one's done it to be honest. Just like I'm surprised more people haven't done proper BaN worship.

That's because no one can match the genius of BaN, nor do them any proper justice.
Also, nice topic, here's my go-to late night/early morning album.
11.07.2014 - 17:54
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
I don't think I've ever actually listened to that album. Will give it a go after finishing this Sludgde album.
11.07.2014 - 18:33
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
I tend to have more... I dunno, fucked up music? By the end of each night. It can go from dark ambient a la Lustmord, or shapeless stuff like Sunn O))). Shit, a few nights ago I went through Neoandertals entire discography and the next night I went on a Elend marathon. Nights with only stuff made by Mories is also a recurring theme.

So basically: Usually dark/insane stuff.

PS: Trist has some of my favorite BM artworks.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
11.07.2014 - 18:34
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by X-Ray Rod on 11.07.2014 at 18:33

I tend to have more... I dunno, fucked up music? By the end of each night. It can go from dark ambient a la Lustmord, or shapeless stuff like Sunn O))). Shit, a few nights ago I went through Neoandertals entire discography and the next night I went on a Elend marathon. Nights with only stuff made by Mories is also a recurring theme.

So basically: Usually dark/insane stuff.

I knew you were dark, man...

That kind of thing is more my 9 - Midnight sort of thing I think.
11.07.2014 - 18:38
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by [user id=4365] on 11.07.2014 at 18:34
That kind of thing is more my 9 - Midnight sort of thing I think.

For me it's more like 9-to-sleeptime. Which can be around 6 hours judging by how I sleep during vacations. it's almost as if right after I eat dinner I end up in a "Ok, it's time to re-check if I can sleep after this" phase. So that stuff tends to be the main thing I guess.

I might need to try it with Whitehouse.
----
Rod, let me love you.
11.07.2014 - 18:46
Ilham
Giant robot
Written by [user id=4365] on 11.07.2014 at 18:34

I knew you were dark, man...

He's just trying to impress you. You should see him talking about how scared he is after watching horror movies. I almost had to rock him in my arms.

But yeah I don't mind some Elend-y stuff before going to bed.
11.07.2014 - 18:47
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by X-Ray Rod on 11.07.2014 at 18:38

For me it's more like 9-to-sleeptime. Which can be around 6 hours judging by how I sleep during vacations. it's almost as if right after I eat dinner I end up in a "Ok, it's time to re-check if I can sleep after this" phase. So that stuff tends to be the main thing I guess.

I might need to try it with Whitehouse.

Oh man, I love Whitehouse, but that video. Nope nope nope.
11.07.2014 - 18:48
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
I enjoy getting scared but I have a hard time getting the same from only audio. It's easier for me with visuals but I'm constantly searching for audio mediums to give me the creeps.

Ilham: Are you sure that I'm trying to impress Joe? Because it could be the other way around and I'm actually acting scared so you can rock me in your arms. I'm a crime mastermind. Stealing hugs and all.
----
Rod, let me love you.
11.07.2014 - 18:48
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Ilham on 11.07.2014 at 18:46

He's just trying to impress you. You should see him talking about how scared he is after watching horror movies. I almost had to rock him in my arms.

But yeah I don't mind some Elend-y stuff before going to bed.

It's just a ploy to appeal to the sensitive side of the ladies. In reality he's a double-hard bastard.

Elend. Yeah some of it I can manage, though some other stuff is a bit too intense for me in the early hours
11.07.2014 - 18:50
Mattybu
I always put some kind of music on before bed, but that's more to help fall asleep, to be honest if I am awake really late and just wasting time on the computer or playing games I tend to listen to the same stuff as during the day but just less attentively I guess.

The only metal sleepy times albums I've had heavy in the rotation are Watching From A Distance and Ghost Reveries.