Metal Storm logo
Traditional Doom Metal

Original post

Posted by Unknown user, 23.05.2006 - 11:16
IIRC Dr. X started a similar topic in the old forum. Anyway, I thought I just as well a start a new one here. With Traditional Doom Metal I mean Sabbath-based bluesy Doom with clean vocals. Thus the thread is meant for bands like for Saint Vitus, Trouble and Candlemass but not My Dying Bride or Katatonia.

Anyway, my favourite Doom Metal bands are the following:
Black Sabbath
Blood Thirsty Demons
Candlemass
Dantesco
Doomsword
Internal Void
Orodruin
Pagan Altar
Pale Divine
Pentagram
Place Of Skulls
Reverend Bizarre
Saint Vitus
Solitude Aeturnus
Spirit Caravan
The Gates Of Slumber
Trouble
Witchcraft
Witchfinder General

Other good Doom bands I listen to are:
Abdullah
Acrimony
Against Nature
Begotten
Bigelf
Blood Farmers
Cathedral
Confessor
Count Raven
Doomshine
Earth Flight
Eight Hands For Kali
Electric Wizard
Forsaken (MLT)
Goatsnake
Grand Magus
Great Coven
Isole
Krux
Leather Nun
L'impero Delle Ombre
Merca
Minotauri
Mood
Penance
Sorcery
Spiritus Mortis
Starchild
The Hidden Hand
The Obsessed
Thunderstorm
Veni Domine
Voodooshock
Wall Of Sleep
Well Of Souls (US)
Witch Mountain
World Below

The list became quite extensive... Anyway, any more Trad. Doomsters around here (besides Dr. X)? And in case, yes, what are your favourites?
22.04.2010 - 20:21
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by [user id=5080] on 22.04.2010 at 20:16

Anybody likes the last album by Dawn Of Winter, "The Peacful Dead"? I think that band is brutally underrated even in the traditional doom circles... besides, the album contains which is probably the best doom metal hymn along with Rev Bizarre's "The Godess of Doom": "The Music of Despair", which opens the album greatly.

Dawn Of Winter have also some amazing old demos...

Sorry, but I find them very mediocre at best. I can't get into them. And let me assure I have tried many times. The vocals are weird and just put me off. Musically it is fine, but the vocals man. Same thing with this new German band called Wheel.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

22.04.2010 - 21:03
Hellish Star
About KEEP IT TRUE FESTIVAL - GERMANY
23/24 APRIL

CANDLEMASS have cancelled!! They fear they will not make it in time home for their daily jobs on monday. Their flights are still on, but they do not want to use them. They also declined to drive by van, because one of them said he has back problems. Rob Lowe is already in Lauda and we try to get him on stage for a song or so with another band. Thsi really sucks big time, but we tried everything we could. You have to blame the band.
For CANDLEMASS now OMEN will headline the friday. Also ROXXCALIBUR will play a set on friday and also EMERALD (NL), cause THOR seems not to come too. On Saturday we will have WARRANT (GER) playing instead of HADES and MORTICIAN (AUT) will open the saturday. This is the running order we try to have now. But please remember, this is only a work in progress running order. There might be changes, cause we still try to bring over Alan Tecchio who is still stuck in Newark, the rest of WATCHTOWER is already in Germany...

Friday:

OMEN 22:25 - 00:00
SAVAGE GRACE 20:50- 22:05
WATCHTOWER 19:30 -20:30
ANACRUSIS 17:55 - 19:10
OBSESSION 16:35 - 17:35
EMERALD (HOL) 15:15 - 16:15
CRYSTAL VIPER 14:10 - 14:55
ROXXCALIBUR 13:05 - 13:50
STEELWING 12:00 - 12:45

Saturday

FIFTH ANGEL 22:45 - 00:15
SURPRISE ACT 21:55 - 22:25
DEMON 20:25- 21:40
TYGERS OF PAN TANG 19:05 -20:05
SATANS HOST 18:00 - 18:45
WARRANT 16:55 - 17:40
KALAPACS 15:50 - 16:35
ADX 14:45 - 15:30
RAM 13:40 - 14:25
HEART OF CYGNUS 12:35 - 13:20
MORTICIAN 11:30 - 12:15
----
www.myspace.com/hellishstar

Metal To Infiity Webzine: http://users.telenet.be/metaltoinfinity/MTIindex.htm
24.04.2010 - 17:27
Southern Wind
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 22.04.2010 at 20:21

Written by [user id=5080] on 22.04.2010 at 20:16

Anybody likes the last album by Dawn Of Winter, "The Peacful Dead"? I think that band is brutally underrated even in the traditional doom circles... besides, the album contains which is probably the best doom metal hymn along with Rev Bizarre's "The Godess of Doom": "The Music of Despair", which opens the album greatly.

Dawn Of Winter have also some amazing old demos...

Sorry, but I find them very mediocre at best. I can't get into them. And let me assure I have tried many times. The vocals are weird and just put me off. Musically it is fine, but the vocals man. Same thing with this new German band called Wheel.

haha the vocals are among the things I most like by them... it's true but there are some fillers in the last album but a lot of great songs also
01.05.2010 - 13:40
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Spirit Descent - new trad doom band from Germany
http://www.myspace.com/spiritdescent
band realised demo in 2010
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - "Speak English or Die"

I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
04.05.2010 - 02:40
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
Written by Bad English on 01.05.2010 at 13:40

Great suggestion! Make sure you check out Arkham Witch too!

http://www.myspace.com/rourkesdriftyorkshire
----
The force will be with you, always.
04.05.2010 - 15:02
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Clintagräm on 04.05.2010 at 02:40

That one has Simon and Emma from The Lamp Of Thoth in it, I still need to check it out though
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

04.05.2010 - 15:07
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Clintagräm on 04.05.2010 at 02:40

Written by Bad English on 01.05.2010 at 13:40

Only now do I see there is a connection between Spirit Descent and Arkham Witch.
As I said Simon and Emma play in The Lamp Of Thoth, which also features Randy, who is part of Spirit Descent
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

11.05.2010 - 01:15
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 04.05.2010 at 15:07

Only now do I see there is a connection between Spirit Descent and Arkham Witch.
As I said Simon and Emma play in The Lamp Of Thoth, which also features Randy, who is part of Spirit Descent

That was more than enough to get me looking. Great crew all around; and heavily influenced by one of my favorite writers too.

In other news I just found Briton Rites featuring Phil Swanson and Cauldron Born's Howie Bently! It sounds awesome and the lyrical content is right up my ally. Anyone?
----
11.05.2010 - 01:22
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Clintagräm on 11.05.2010 at 01:15

In other news I just found Briton Rites featuring Phil Swanson and Cauldron Born's Howie Bently! It sounds awesome and the lyrical content is right up my ally. Anyone?

Jan put me on to it. So I immediately ordered the album. Btw, right at this moment listening to Vestal Claret, Seamount, Atlantean Kodex with Phil on vocals, Hour Of 13 (both albums)
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

11.05.2010 - 01:28
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 11.05.2010 at 01:22

Jan put me on to it. So I immediately ordered the album. Btw, right at this moment listening to Vestal Claret, Seamount, Atlantean Kodex with Phil on vocals, Hour Of 13 (both albums)

I know. The guy's been going nuts lately. I had never heard of him until a few years ago when Hour of 13 made their appearance and now he's on all kinds of fantastic, high quality recordings. I don't know if he's just the hot Heavy/Doom item right now like Rob Lowe seemed to be for a little while or if the guy really does kick that much ass. Regardless he's doing well for himself (and the respective bands) right now.
----
18.05.2010 - 19:24
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
----

28.05.2010 - 18:55
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by [user id=5080] on 24.04.2010 at 17:27

And now it sems to have finally clicked with me. Been playing The Peaceful Dead for horus today. And yes The Music Of Despair is a great doom metal hymn.
Gotta love the lyrics to it. I wonder if anyone can find ALL the bands mentioned in it. And the bolded part is so true:

In the loneliness of winter
When I seek penance for my sins
I call upon my fate for mercy
Oh let the king of diamonds win

When the lords of light are with me
I climb the stairs up to Ungol
When the angel witch she soothes me
I'm her witchfinder general
Yeah

Doom is the soul of metal
Primordial and pure
Doom is the true essence of living
Immortal
My cure

When my heart is filled with sorrow
And I wonder who I am
I put on some ancient Trouble
Some old Vitus
Pentagram

When my soul walks in the darkness
Or life's hopelessness again
Then I find solace
I find comfort
And I learn and understand
Yeah

At the blessed pagan altar
He kneels the reverend bizarre
And he calls me and I follow
Into the doomed world of my heart

There is beauty in the mourning
So much truth and tenderness
Let me celebrate the sabbath so black
The rites of candlemass

There is wisdom in the slowness
In the rhythm is the magic
In the air
And I know I've found salvation
In the music of despair
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

28.05.2010 - 19:57
Mikyz
Lately, I've been listening to Pale Divine, mainly the album Cemetery Earth, they successfully convey diverse feelings.
----
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone.
29.05.2010 - 03:30
Got Mayhem?
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 28.05.2010 at 18:55

Written by [user id=5080] on 24.04.2010 at 17:27

And now it sems to have finally clicked with me. Been playing The Peaceful Dead for horus today. And yes The Music Of Despair is a great doom metal hymn.
Gotta love the lyrics to it. I wonder if anyone can find ALL the bands mentioned in it. And the bolded part is so true:

Those are some good lyrics...I doubt I could find all of the bands mentioned but I think I found quite a few.
----
29.05.2010 - 04:31
Culty
I think i found most of the bands Marcel haha. Though, im not totally sure.
----
Gfnttlr
17.06.2010 - 00:30
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
Just listening to a band called Mortalicum anyone heard of them? Click the name for a listen. They play a Doom Metal/Rock with a sound heavily inspired by 70s and 80s HR and HM bands. They only have a couple of songs up but they sound pretty good on first listen. Any opinions?
----
05.07.2010 - 08:52
R3DCORN
You guys should really give Acid Bath a listen. Coolest doom/sludge/death metal band I know. Half of it's singing and the other half of it is pig squeeling and screams. Really cool band. Dax Riggs's voice is amazing.
----
- P 0 S S 3 S S 3 D -
05.07.2010 - 15:22
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by R3DCORN on 05.07.2010 at 08:52

You guys should really give Acid Bath a listen. Coolest doom/sludge/death metal band I know. Half of it's singing and the other half of it is pig squeeling and screams. Really cool band. Dax Riggs's voice is amazing.

There is a thread on Acid Bath, so we do know about them
But why do you mention them here in the "traditional doom metal" thread? They are pure sludge. Btw nothing death metal about them either. but a great band indeed.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

09.07.2010 - 22:25
HugeTheConqeror
Anyone have any opinion on the band Witchsorrow? I have seen their debut listed on the Rise Above web site, and have heard some samples, but have not yet heard the whole album. Worth getting?
----
Pardon me while I wreak my vengeance.
11.07.2010 - 11:16
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Void Moon new trad doom band from Sweden http://www.myspace.com/voidmoonmetal
----

27.07.2010 - 12:26
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Heavy/doom metal band from Canada lyrics in french!!!!! Cauchemar http://www.myspace.com/cauchemarmetal
----

23.12.2010 - 19:58
Southern Wind
Account deleted
Anyone into Briton Rites? they are the best newvomers of the year... some pretty stunning doom metal with a NWOBHM vibe (although they are from the US, their doom sounds very British). Absolutely recommended stuff.
23.12.2010 - 20:00
Southern Wind
Account deleted
Written by HugeTheConqeror on 09.07.2010 at 22:25

Anyone have any opinion on the band Witchsorrow? I have seen their debut listed on the Rise Above web site, and have heard some samples, but have not yet heard the whole album. Worth getting?

Witchsorrow are a killer band, their debut album is one of the jewels released this year.
23.12.2010 - 20:23
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
I found that Briton Rites to be ok but nothing spectacular and the vocals got on my nerves pretty quickly. If I was to go for a heavy metal record this year I'd opt for the recent Atlantean Kodex I would think, as different as it sounds to Briton Rites. I still need to listen to the new Slough Feg a bit more to see if it grows on me.
23.12.2010 - 21:14
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Though I am a big Swanson fan I find Briton Rites to be the least of the projects he is involved in For Mircella gets quite boring halfway through.
slough Feg disappointed me.
AK was a grea doomish heavy metal album.
But the best traditional/epic doom album this year by far is Procession - Destroyers Of The Faith. Even best album of the year for all metal to me.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

24.12.2010 - 17:32
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
When I get back to proper internet land the first thing I'll be doing is checking out Procession and Place of Skulls. Lot of hype though!

What exactly does Procession sound like? I've heard comparison to early Candlemass. Is that true both vocally and musically?
24.12.2010 - 23:16
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Procession does play epic doom metak but can"t really be compared to early Candlemass due to Felipë's vocals being less dramatic. There is also some Reverend Bizarre in there musically especially when it concerns the song Road To The Gravegarden.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

25.12.2010 - 00:07
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Fair enough, sounds interesting anyway. Looking forward to hearing it.
25.12.2010 - 19:00
ForeverDarkWoods
Anyone here into Realmbuilder? I find Summon The Stone Throwers to be a really nice listen.
----
Free nations are peaceful nations. Free nations don't attack each other. Free nations don't develop weapons of mass destruction!
- George W. Bush, ex-president of the United States of America
26.12.2010 - 16:32
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by ForeverDarkWoods on 25.12.2010 at 19:00

Anyone here into Realmbuilder? I find Summon The Stone Throwers to be a really nice listen.

Somehow it grates on mmy nerves every time I listen to it so not enjoyable at alll of rme. And nothing doomy either more orless thrid rate nwobhm with some epic touches to my ears.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996