Metal Storm logo
Wintersun - All Shows Canceled

Finland's extreme power metal outfit Wintersun have canceled all scheduled shows in 2009 due to further problems with the completion of their album "Time". The band's frontman Jari Mäenpää posted the following message on the band's official website:

"There has come again unexpected problems with technology, which will make finishing the "Time" album even more harder than it has been. Which will delay it even more. There's also some personal problems concerning my apartment.

Because of all the problems, I have fallen under a serious amounts of stress, which is sometimes causing me "writer's blocks". This album making is now turned into such a "risky business", that I have no [choice], but to cancel Summerbreeze and Bloodstock.

The thing is, the album has to be done first, before we can play any shows. Playing just old songs after many years isn't something we want to do and what probably no one wants to see.

After the album has been mixed, I need to mix again a "backuptrack livemix" (of the synths&orchestrations). Then we have to of course practise the new songs and arrange them into "live format" (especially mine and Teemu's guitar parts). We also need to update our humble live gear.

All these arrangements take time, so we don't want to risk it, that we might have to cancel the shows last minute. It must be done now and put finishing the album the number one priority. After the album is done, we will start booking shows again.

I know there's lots of disappointed people and I have to apologize. But I hope that you..ll understand my decision under these circumstances. I have to put the album first and finish it before we play any shows. Thanks for listening!

Jari"

Source: wintermadness.net
Band profile: Wintersun
Posted: 02.03.2009 by Sjuk

Comments page 3 / 5

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 122   [ 1 ignored ]   Visited by: 669 users
02.03.2009 - 16:53
necrovamp
Uh the one band i wanted to see at bloodstock and they cancel. maybey cus they called it time its gonna take time to come out. im ready to give up
----
'I'd rather die than go to heaven' - Murderface
02.03.2009 - 17:26
Smurfkiller
Account deleted
Time is going to disapoint millions of people.
02.03.2009 - 17:28
BornOfWilderness
Account deleted
I'm not surprised, and I'm laughing too
02.03.2009 - 18:02
Wantti
Account deleted
*Facepalm*
02.03.2009 - 18:11
Elegy
He's going to far, what will the next thing be? 'Wintersun Call It A Day' ? Now that one will piss off people i think :')
02.03.2009 - 18:32
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by [user id=33061] on 02.03.2009 at 17:26

I actually don't think millions of people are waiting for Wintersun to release anything, probably about 100.000 - 200.000 downloaders max. Don't overestimate the drawing power of that band
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

02.03.2009 - 18:43
Bas
Retired Staff
Elite
Rather amusing news
what would amuse me more is if it does come out and sucks majorly and has thousands of people disappointed

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 02.03.2009 at 18:32

I actually don't think millions of people are waiting for Wintersun to release anything, probably about 100.000 - 200.000 downloaders max. Don't overestimate the drawing power of that band

and Marcel i just figured we should drink something together at hellfest in the honour of that there is actually a band we have the same opinion about
(Wintersun sucking balls that is)
----
BAS - Beautifully Accented Sexiness
02.03.2009 - 19:08
bard
What the hell are they engineering with, a game boy?!
----
02.03.2009 - 19:18
MetalManic

Written by [user id=33061] on 02.03.2009 at 17:26

I actually don't think millions of people are waiting for Wintersun to release anything, probably about 100.000 - 200.000 downloaders max.

That goes along with my previous point nicely
02.03.2009 - 20:58
Ahahhahahahahhahhhahahahaha nothing else...i mean WTF?
02.03.2009 - 21:24
Silent Creeper
Senile Veteran
It looks like they use some really ancient recording devices to have so many "technical" problems with it... Or maybe is Jari confusing terms "technical" with "inspirational" problems...
02.03.2009 - 21:38
Ragana
Rawrcat
Written by Silent Creeper on 02.03.2009 at 21:24

It looks like they use some really ancient recording devices to have so many "technical" problems with it... Or maybe is Jari confusing terms "technical" with "inspirational" problems...

Or maybe he's just a big fat liar.
For myself, I actually don't care about Wintersun. Sure, I'll probably check out this album when they think it's the right "time" to release it... but their (good) reputation is quickly turning into a bad reputation, although the popularity is rising (oh, come on - I think everyone by now knows what's Wintersun and what is the name of this historical album).
02.03.2009 - 21:57
Silent Creeper
Senile Veteran
Written by Ragana on 02.03.2009 at 21:38

That's an option too, but I do not want to believe that because I like Wintersun quite a bit... But things will change if they are going to release this album when I will be deaf already or something... :
02.03.2009 - 22:15
Ragana
Rawrcat
Written by Silent Creeper on 02.03.2009 at 21:57

Written by Ragana on 02.03.2009 at 21:38

That's an option too, but I do not want to believe that because I like Wintersun quite a bit... But things will change if they are going to release this album when I will be deaf already or something... :

Muahah, yeah - you still will be able to look at the artwork of the album, if not to hear it.
I mean, I wish luck for those people who will wait for this album. It may take some patience.
02.03.2009 - 23:24
Stalker
Lone wanderer
LOL, someone should make a soap opera about this...
----
02.03.2009 - 23:27
BlackWaterSorrow
Account deleted
Think he shoulda waited till things were a wrap before he titled the album lol
03.03.2009 - 00:02
schwanderen
Written by [user id=18238] on 02.03.2009 at 15:13

Oh comon man ... what the fuck is that ..... waiting for the new shit looooooooong time ... and now u come out with that shit..... 5 fucken years for an album witch have less then 9 or 8 tracks..... the fact is, that u and the band are just tooooooooo lazy....

Jesus christ i truly hope your a practising musician yourself, since you dare throw out such a provocative statement. I truly hope you posses the insigt and depth it takes to create music and then communicate it satisfactly to a cd. By god i hope youve been through the process and know what HELL your talking about. I believe no ones more frustrated of this than Jari.
I understand people are dissapointed, if they've even bhought a ticket to the show..? But making a statement like this, even for the internet, is just retarded.
03.03.2009 - 01:23
TopGun
Maybe what wintersun should do is just end itself. That way ppl will be like "o baby i loved their shit" and ppl will be like omg whats on time and then itll become a cult and theyll prolly make more money once band diparted sorta like tupac
03.03.2009 - 01:44
Fat & Sassy!
Elite
Written by bard on 02.03.2009 at 19:08

What the hell are they engineering with, a game boy?!

Hahahahahaha! You sir, are a gentleman and a scholar.
03.03.2009 - 02:18
Glower
Written by Promonex on 02.03.2009 at 03:47

Written by Glower on 02.03.2009 at 03:23

All shows for 2009?

Goddammit.

All scheduled shows. Who knows, maybe he will finally have it done in the course of the year, so he might give a little concert in December or so. But he's been canceling shows with the same old excuse for the past two or three years, so I wouldn't keep up my hopes.

Oh, I see.
Well, yep.
My hopes won't be up then either.
03.03.2009 - 02:28
kaos666
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 02.03.2009 at 14:10

Written by kaos666 on 02.03.2009 at 14:00

Written by Harlequin on 02.03.2009 at 11:45

Jari has decided to make an a capella album. Thus, he is practicing hard to get this freaky "guitar sound" with his voice..

He's probably slightly pissed that Van Canto beat him to the punch.

I'm sure in the next year or so Warrior Soul will release an album called 'Time' in honor of all the delays.

PLease help me out, but what does Warrior Soul have to do with all this Wintersun stuff?

Warrior Soul released an album called 'Chinese Democracy' before Guns 'n' Roses did just as a pisstake for how long the world had to wait for it, so maybe they will do the same with 'Time'? xD
03.03.2009 - 05:34
Symmachus
This is some pretty bad news. Either Jari is lazy and he's making excuses to do this, or he is really stressed out and is doing what is respectful to sort things out properly. I certainly hope it's the latter. Anyways, I certainly hope this album is great, considering that people have waited a long time for its release date.
03.03.2009 - 06:17
bluemobiusx
Account deleted
Written by Bas on 02.03.2009 at 18:43

Rather amusing news
what would amuse me more is if it does come out and sucks majorly and has thousands of people disappointed

and Marcel i just figured we should drink something together at hellfest in the honour of that there is actually a band we have the same opinion about
(Wintersun sucking balls that is)

And What would be even more amusing...if it comes out and you two end up liking it and having to admit it. But hey, we all have bands we don't like, like Celtic Frost for example...worst load of crap I've ever heard and for some reason, people get down on their knees for that band.
03.03.2009 - 06:45
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Actually, Marcel hates them too.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
03.03.2009 - 09:10
Ernotar
Cookie Mistress
Heh... It had better be the best album in the world after all the waiting and questionable excuses...and yet I doubt it will be.
----
You'll never walk alone.
03.03.2009 - 09:41
ItalktotheWind
Wood Troll
Honestly this has happened with bands before. I think it's quite amusing how ignorant some people are of the whole recording process and how a band like Wintersun has extremely technical and intricate music that does take a lot of effort to create in the studio. I guess many people here don't know this but most bands that only take a few months to record an album didn't put enough effort into it (many exceptions of course). Unfortunately the music communities are too hung up on getting what they want as soon as possible regardless of what the artist goes through. Any musician will tell you that recording in the studio is a BITCH and takes a long time to get everything the way you want. Plus the album will come out sooner if they do not play these shows.
----
"A witty saying proves nothing."
-Voltaire
03.03.2009 - 10:11
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by ItalktotheWind on 03.03.2009 at 09:41

Honestly this has happened with bands before. I think it's quite amusing how ignorant some people are of the whole recording process and how a band like Wintersun has extremely technical and intricate music that does take a lot of effort to create in the studio. I guess many people here don't know this but most bands that only take a few months to record an album didn't put enough effort into it (many exceptions of course). Unfortunately the music communities are too hung up on getting what they want as soon as possible regardless of what the artist goes through. Any musician will tell you that recording in the studio is a BITCH and takes a long time to get everything the way you want. Plus the album will come out sooner if they do not play these shows.

Actually I was watching an interview with Ronnie James Dio and he was talking about a certain album of his (the specific one escapes me now), and he was talking about how it took 5 months to record, and that no album should take that long. In fact, I could probably name more great albums that were recorded in a few months than great ones that took more than 5 or 6. Unless your including the writing process.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
03.03.2009 - 12:48
corrupt
With a lowercase c
Admin
Written by Doc G. on 03.03.2009 at 10:11

Written by ItalktotheWind on 03.03.2009 at 09:41

Actually I was watching an interview with Ronnie James Dio and he was talking about a certain album of his (the specific one escapes me now), and he was talking about how it took 5 months to record, and that no album should take that long. In fact, I could probably name more great albums that were recorded in a few months than great ones that took more than 5 or 6. Unless your including the writing process.

I think Mercenarys 11 Dreams took something between 11 and 13 months to record. And compared to their later releases which were all done in a matter of three months, recording-time can seem to be an indicator of a quality.
----
03.03.2009 - 15:36
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by [user id=20536] on 03.03.2009 at 06:17

...we all have bands we don't like, like Celtic Frost for example...worst load of crap I've ever heard and for some reason, people get down on their knees for that band.

Like BitterCOld said, I actually think they are a load of crap as well, although do slightly enjoy their last album.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

03.03.2009 - 16:04
MeloDeathViking
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 03.03.2009 at 15:36

Written by [user id=20536] on 03.03.2009 at 06:17

...we all have bands we don't like, like Celtic Frost for example...worst load of crap I've ever heard and for some reason, people get down on their knees for that band.

Like BitterCOld said, I actually think they are a load of crap as well, although do slightly enjoy their last album.

See, I knew Marcel was a Wintersun fan, he's just been trying to hide it. He "slightly enjoys" the last album? We all know what that really means, he just loves it but can't admit it.
----
"I am not superstitious, but I'm a little 'stitious." - Michael Scott

Hits total: 9150 | This month: 21