Metal Storm logo
Epica vs After Forever

Original post

Posted by DarkMistress, 24.07.2006 - 21:13
i find these bands in the same line, they have wonderful female front voices, grunts, good musical composition, great chorus

i´ll stay with After Forever, found them before Epica and they´re just After Forever

Poll

which one do you think is the best?

epica
after forever

Total votes: 129
24.02.2008 - 20:49
guire
Account deleted
Written by [user id=26940] on 06.02.2008 at 07:10

I'm sooooo confused why the hell are people putting more votes for epica than after forever well this is just fucked up!
If people are voting for Simone cause of "her looks" That is just pathetic she isn't even that pretty
First of all After forever overall better music,more originality,way better female;e vocalist(WAY BETTER) BETTER LYRICS AND fLOOR SINGS AMAZING LIVE! Simone just sounds like another singer more like a pop singer so It's obvious for me after forever and someone said they can't stand Floor's voice YOU SUCK!;D

I totally agree with you!!!

For me the best is After Forever, no doubt!!!
24.02.2008 - 23:49
Elodie Artour
Slania
As for the lyrics,I don't really agree with you,Pale Enchantress.Because,honestly,most of Epica's lyrics are extremely good.But AF's ones are very good,too.And if it comes to whether one likes a singer or not-it's their own decision.
----
Speak up dear 'cause I cannot hear you...
27.02.2008 - 09:21
Pale Enchantress
Account deleted
YAY! Af got 3 more votes whoever did those votes I LOVE YOU@
27.02.2008 - 22:44
Elodie Artour
Slania
I would like to add a comment to kind of critcise Epica a bit. (Although I do like them very much.)

"The Divine Conspiracy" is a good album,with its plus sides and minus ones,but Epica have gone a bit commercial.Also,as far as I've heard,their live shows have become boring,and I heard that Simone didn't sing so good on them,too.Of course,I've watched some videos,and I think she sounds quiet bad at some of the songs.Simone doesn't sing the Latin parts,either.Plus,Mark's vocals no longer sound the same,as they used to in After Forever.

And as it comes to AF (especially Floor)-they sound much better live.
----
28.02.2008 - 03:00
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Epica have gone commercial? yes, a slight bit, but when Mark legt AF, After Forever REALLY went commercial. Epica nowadays is less commercial sounding than After Forver on its last couple of albums with commercial interludes in crappy English and their general sound.

As for Simone not sounding so good live lately well that has to do with her health problems.

And as for the best vocalist After Forever ever had live that surely is George Oosthoek without a doubt, he just blows Sander off the stage had Sander been there at that moment.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

29.02.2008 - 15:37
Pale Enchantress
Account deleted
AF are better live by far Simone is medicore live and I really fail to see how AF last albums are commercial?
01.03.2008 - 01:54
Elodie Artour
Slania
Yeah,I am wondering the same,too. :
@Marcel H.:What kind of health problems is she having nowadays?
----
01.03.2008 - 09:53
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Elodie Artour on 01.03.2008 at 01:54

Us I remeber site news was once about thay atkin break, go to news archive and take a reaserche
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
01.03.2008 - 09:54
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Elodie Artour on 01.03.2008 at 01:54

Like K7 said it was in the news section, but as I remember it had to do with a bacterial infection she got in hospital or something like that.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

01.03.2008 - 10:01
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
01.03.2008 - 20:40
Elodie Artour
Slania
Oh,I see.Thanks for the info.
----
01.03.2008 - 20:57
VPeter
I decied to give After Forever an other chance and I have to say the latest album is so much better then their previous stuff.
01.03.2008 - 22:17
Elodie Artour
Slania
@Tír na nog:What,please?!
It is a good one,indeed,but not better than their previous work.Not at all.
----
02.03.2008 - 00:36
VPeter
Well I think it is, Floor's vocals are actually good on their last one!
02.03.2008 - 08:50
Pale Enchantress
Account deleted
They are always good! I have a question can you sing like Floor or as good as her? Because If you are going to insult or devalue her singing I hope you can at least be a good singer yourself! Her voice sounds the best on Decipher and their new one! plus New one is MUCH better than Invisible circles because Vocals are better lyrics are better everything is better!
03.03.2008 - 01:43
Elodie Artour
Slania
This is a very deeply and honest statement of mine:

I would like to apologize to Simone Simons for criticising her about her singing on Epica's latest shows.Indeed,I didn't know about her illness.But now,I know,and I feel really sorry I had criticised her so much.Once again-I'm so sorry...
----
26.03.2008 - 14:58
Enissa
I think that After Forever and Epica are in the same line
and they're both great bands
and Floor and Simone very TAlented and suprematic singers
26.03.2008 - 16:21
VPeter
Written by [user id=26940] on 02.03.2008 at 08:50

They are always good! I have a question can you sing like Floor or as good as her? Because If you are going to insult or devalue her singing I hope you can at least be a good singer yourself! Her voice sounds the best on Decipher and their new one! plus New one is MUCH better than Invisible circles because Vocals are better lyrics are better everything is better!

there is no logic in the "try better for your self" argument, not mention it is not relevant since I am guy with a voice simliair to Peter Steele and not a woman with a symphonic voice.
27.03.2008 - 07:20
moonton
Account deleted
I'm voting for After Forever. Floor's voice is simply powerful, and they have managed to switch styles with ease.
Simone's voice is also powerful, but Floor's voice is much better.
18.06.2008 - 17:22
floydiac
I like Epica better...I have found After Forever to be quite mediocre.

The Divine Conspiracy isn't that commercial an album...save for a couple of the songs on it...although, admittedly, I would like a little more operaticness in there.
----
!WARNING! May talk shit !WARNING!
03.09.2008 - 21:34
5.T.4.L.k.E.R
EPICA

I love the symphonic sounds in the orchestral and choir environment. Favorite album: The Divine Conspiracy

I do enjoy After Forever
----
...enter by the Mystical Gates of Reincarnation
04.09.2008 - 00:10
Dark Blood
The Avenger
Can I vote for Mark? I'll explain why.. When he was in After Forever, they were my favourite gothic metal band, when he left and founded Epica, After Forever died for me, and Epica took their place. I think Epica are somehow a better band.. more versatile, and maybe also because of Simone's voice (which I love), so I voted Epica.
Btw.. I don't think Epica had gone commercial.. maybe the song Never Enough is commercial, but I don't think the rest is.
----
It is humanity who must pay homage to the greatness of the Universe... not the Universe to the human narcissism.
05.09.2008 - 17:38
juanopereira
I prefer the music of Epica. For me, Afer Forever is too boring.
05.09.2008 - 20:37
-Soulreaper-
I chose Epica mainly for The Phantom Agony. I love that album. After Forever is a really good band though too. Just not AS good.
11.09.2008 - 17:52
After Forever by far. They've envolved during the years. Now, they have originality, a personal sound, a lot of great songs and one of the best female vocalists. Floor is not human.... how she sings in studio and LIVE... it's simply incredible . Simmone Simons is a normal vocalist, without nothing special and with no identity. She does a lot of mistakes when she sings live...
Moreover, in concerts she pays more attention to the photographers than singing.

About the music, Epica have done the same music during three albums, without changes, using the same elements a lot of time . Their albums became very boring, without surprises. In addition, their concerts are 70% playback because choirs and orchestra.
After Forever uses these elements too and in concerts they also use some playbacks but Epica has a lot of elements recorded.
24.11.2008 - 21:03
MétalNoir
Fils du Lys
Very similar bands, but After Forever have the best vocalist. Epica's singer is hardly better than Nightwish's Anette Olzon (yes, that's a very mean thing to say). AF also include progressive elements that make their music sound more complex AND complete.
----
Notre destinée n'est pas encore tracée....
10.03.2009 - 14:19
bayern
Eipca is much better.
10.03.2009 - 16:05
Ernis
狼獾
I go for the Epica option....I used to listen to After Forever years ago, their "Prison Of Desire" was an experience for me when I so far had been listening to Slipknot and Evanescence and had really poor knowledge about metal in general....After Forever then in some way opened my senses....But afterwards I didn't find the time to follow their work any longer, therefore what comes after "Prison Of Desire" is mostly dark terrain for me, although I have heard their last effort which was really strong....
Nevertheless, the work which Mark Jansen made with Epica is wonderful in my opinion....yes, Floor is a distinguished vocalist, a talented one and that is true that Simone is more of a beginner compared to her, but the overall music, the composition, the melodies, the lyrics, the choral structures sound more appealing to me than the approach of After Forever....that is why I prefer Epica (not because Simone is my favourite woman in metal....)....
Epica sounds more classical, After Forever has a more powery, pump-up and "poppier" sound...that is when it comes to music itself...not that "poppy" is bad...
On the other hand, when speaking of vocals, that is true that here Floor has a more classical and serious voice whereas Simone's vocals are more average and resemble Amy Lee (my schoolmate heard "Never Enough" and mistook it for a song by Evanescence)...I quickly point out that I personally like Amy Lee, she's a great singer, Evanescence is a fine group I have always liked....

As a sum I still prefer Epica....I am sad I have never seen After Forever live tho....but I have seen Epica, and this gig was wonderful and the power of the music and the beauty of Simone left me a good memory and hope to see them again....
09.05.2009 - 20:33
Land Of Doom
Both band are wonderful

For me i prefer Epica

i am very sad for after forever
----
We Only Fear What Comes
And Smell Death Every Day
Search For The Answers That Lie Beyond
09.05.2009 - 20:48
TheOwl
I like both bands! IMO Epica are bit more sophisticated.... tripy-ier too!