Metal Storm logo
Favourite Metal Subgenre

Original post

Posted by Daru Jericho, 17.05.2006 - 23:37
So what's your favourite metal subgenre? Mine is progressive metal; love it's creativity and with lengthy songs it gives the artists enough time to produce a lot of diversity within a track. Most of the time the musicians are highly skilled as well as being able to combine emotion into their music. Additionally, I find that this genre of music can be very experimental at times.

Btw, if your favourite genre is not on the poll it's because I didn't have enough space to put it on. So click other and say what your favourite genre is.

Poll

What is yoir favourite metal subgenre?

Death Metal
Black Metal
Thrash Metal
Power Metal
Other (please specify)
Progressive Metal
Folk/Viking Metal
Heavy Metal
Gothic Metal

Total votes: 535
29.05.2006 - 00:49
Sebek
Account deleted
Death Metal rapes all. About 98% of my cd's are death metal albums ranging from Melodic (In Flames, Dark Tranquility, Amon Amarth) to Brutal (Nile, Behemoth, Vader, Morbid Angel). The other two percent is Children of Bodom, Finntroll, Sinergy.
29.05.2006 - 20:20
Reborn Nemesis
definitely Black Metal... both raw and melodic...
----
... For blood I hunger, possessed by the dark...

... No remorse, I'll tear your flesh apart...
02.06.2006 - 20:02
_HIV_
i like death metal the most! becouse of its simplicity!
03.06.2006 - 03:47
Immortal Plague
Bloodshedder
I love Black Metal and Death Metal equally so ill just have to say my favorite sub genre is Black/Death Metal, or Thrash/Death Metal, like Vader or Possessed. But Black/Death Metal is my favorite.
03.06.2006 - 17:56
Warman
Erotic Stains
I wont vote ... to choose a favorite genre is just like choosing your favorite band, it feels like I am letting the others down.
----
04.06.2006 - 00:31
Revenant
Account deleted
Surely symphonic or folk

I don't know why most people like death metal. It seems too much of a 'one trick pony' to me. Sure it's brutal, but so is hammering your head against a hard surface. I do love Nile though as they add something mroe deep than simply anger.
04.06.2006 - 00:36
Revenant
Account deleted
Written by Damnated on 26.05.2006 at 16:56

Written by [user id=2801] on 26.05.2006 at 16:41

I dont understand how people can like Power Metal vocals.

I'm actually corious for this answer, cuz I can't stand them, and I wonder how can others like it.

I think you're thinking of emo. Bands like Kamelot, Blind Guaridan, nightwish etc have great singers, power and gothic metal surely have the msot talented singers in metal. The real shit singers in metal are bands like meshuggah, thats not singing or growling, it's jsut some idiot shouting. Death metal vocals are often pretty awfull too (though not always).
04.06.2006 - 07:32
Linak
I Own You Bitch
I voted other, because my favorite metal subgenre right now is something I'm quite sure most of you would hate lol and it's a bit like tecnho metal, yeah yeah I know that sounds god-awful but it really isn't bad at all and I'm beginning to REALLY like it, bands like DyNAbyte and Genghis Tron being examples of it, basically it's just metal... with electronic arrangements, like beat tracks on the background or stuff like that, the great thing about these bands is the vocals, at first I used to really hate to even think about tecnho being mixed up with sacred metal, but turns out the combination works for me. I love it.
----
Stick this up your fucking pee-aitch-dee.
04.06.2006 - 08:14
Trifixion
Account deleted
Written by [user id=5431] on 04.06.2006 at 00:36

I'm actually corious for this answer, cuz I can't stand them, and I wonder how can others like it.

I think you're thinking of emo. Bands like Kamelot, Blind Guaridan, nightwish etc have great singers, power and gothic metal surely have the msot talented singers in metal. The real shit singers in metal are bands like meshuggah, thats not singing or growling, it's jsut some idiot shouting. Death metal vocals are often pretty awfull too (though not always).

Eh I'm pretty sure they meant Power Metal, I too can't stand the vocals. Actually it's one of the main reasons I don't listen to Power Metal, it annoys the hell out of me. The best example for me is DragonForce...I've listened to them a few times and thought they were a great band but the SINGER got on my nerves like you wouldn't believe. Argh I don't get how anyone likes it either.
04.06.2006 - 15:20
Damnated
Churchburner
Written by [user id=8232] on 04.06.2006 at 08:14

Eh I'm pretty sure they meant Power Metal, I too can't stand the vocals. Actually it's one of the main reasons I don't listen to Power Metal, it annoys the hell out of me. The best example for me is DragonForce...I've listened to them a few times and thought they were a great band but the SINGER got on my nerves like you wouldn't believe. Argh I don't get how anyone likes it either.

Yup, I ment power metal, as you can see in the post I quoted...
----
Blessed is he that murders Christ in himself and in his fellow men.

Written by TheBigRossowski on 10.02.2009 at 16:01

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
04.06.2006 - 20:57
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
ugh...power metal

My favorite is Death Metal because I love the low, burpy vocals, the violent drums, and the crazy riffs. However, Thrash is a close second. I actually voted for Thrash at first, but then changed it to Death Metal.
04.06.2006 - 21:43
Stigmatized
Written by Damnated on 04.06.2006 at 15:20

I with you guys. I think Power Metal vocals are awful....the most annoying vocal style. Band's like Dragonforce show how lame the singers can be.
04.06.2006 - 22:13
Damnated
Churchburner
Written by Stigmatized on 04.06.2006 at 21:43

I with you guys. I think Power Metal vocals are awful....the most annoying vocal style. Band's like Dragonforce show how lame the singers can be.

I never listened to Dragonforce, infact, I heard a very few power metal bands, before deciding that it's not my stuff.
----

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
04.06.2006 - 22:18
Stigmatized
Written by Damnated on 04.06.2006 at 22:13

I never listened to Dragonforce, infact, I heard a very few power metal bands, before deciding that it's not my stuff.

Their singer is at the top of the "Lame vocalists" list. Seriously wimpy, very high pitched and just annoying in every way.
04.06.2006 - 22:22
Damnated
Churchburner
Written by Stigmatized on 04.06.2006 at 22:18

Written by Damnated on 04.06.2006 at 22:13

Their singer is at the top of the "Lame vocalists" list. Seriously wimpy, very high pitched and just annoying in every way.

Gotta check them out then, so I can trash him
----

04.06.2006 - 22:38
Zeleznk

Written by Damnated on 04.06.2006 at 15:20

I don't think power metal is lame. I like the vocals and the atmosphere in the music, but that doesn't mean I don't like death or black (I just listen to anything).
----
()...()
:0,,0:
04.06.2006 - 23:21
Draklar
Account deleted
Am I the only one who finds the irony of this discussion simply hilarious? xD
I mean - people who listen to bands, which use growls, ask about how others can listen to certain type of vocals? If anything, I'd expect black/death/whatever metal fans to be among the first to understand different people have different tastes.
I love growls myself, but I'm really glad my hearing isn't distorted so much to find vocalists like Khan or Hansi annoying to listen to xD

But no, go ahead. The whole "Cookie Monster Crap" vs "Gay Singing" fight is always fun to watch.
05.06.2006 - 04:18
Endoftherainbow
My favorite subgenre without a doubt is Thrash Metal because I love the aggression in the vocals and the way the songs are written. The faster the more solos the better Also thrash metal contains the majority of my favorite bands. I do appreciate all other metal genres though with the exception of Glam, Nu, Gothic, and most Doom but some of it is like Katatonia but the majority of it is shit IMO.
About the vocals I do not understand how you can find Hansi Kursch's vocals annoying he is by far one of the most talented vocals in metal today and you cannot deny that fact even if you do not like Power Metal.
05.06.2006 - 09:39
Damnated
Churchburner
Written by [user id=1868] on 04.06.2006 at 23:21

I mean - people who listen to bands, which use growls, ask about how others can listen to certain type of vocals? If anything, I'd expect black/death/whatever metal fans to be among the first to understand different people have different tastes.
I love growls myself, but I'm really glad my hearing isn't distorted so much to find vocalists like Khan or Hansi annoying to listen to xD

But no, go ahead. The whole "Cookie Monster Crap" vs "Gay Singing" fight is always fun to watch.

You are right, although I don't find any atmosphere and joy in power metal, and that is mostly cuz of the horrible vocals. They all sound like lil' girls, singing in the music show. If they are such a talented vocalists, then they should visit the opera, and perform there. I'm serious.
----

05.06.2006 - 11:41
Draklar
Account deleted
Why the hell should they? I mean, Roy Khan has opera singing studies behind him, but if he prefers singing in a metal band then why shouldn't he? Especially when he's so damn good in it.
05.06.2006 - 14:55
Freezer
i voted power metal, yes, it's not the most original genre, but man, bands like Blind Guardian, Angra and so on, deserve to be heared.
----
We fly through this godless endeavor, we try to explain the black forever
05.06.2006 - 23:59
priit
I think it's very hard to choose: I started with power, then gothic, then came folk, viking and now I'm more into black... And I have favourites from each genre,
06.06.2006 - 18:24
Damnated
Churchburner
Written by [user id=1868] on 05.06.2006 at 11:41

Why the hell should they? I mean, Roy Khan has opera singing studies behind him, but if he prefers singing in a metal band then why shouldn't he? Especially when he's so damn good in it.

Well, metal is not about opera singing.
----

06.06.2006 - 21:43
Taktsekte
Your Ad Here!
Written by Damnated on 06.06.2006 at 18:24

Why the hell not? Metal is one of the most experimental and varied genres. You have a wide range from raw simplicity (traditional Black Metal) to melodic Prog Metal, including folklore instruments (Folk Metal), insanely speedy solos (Thrash Metal)... Metal is always improving and metal musicians are developping new sounds and experimenting with new genres (Space Metal, Nu-Metal, Symphonic Metal and more). There's nothing negative in giving fresh air to the music, especially when it is about bringing more professionality!
06.06.2006 - 22:33
Eagleheart92
Account deleted
Taksekte wins, Damnated loses.

anyway, I went with black metal because it represents everything that metal should still be. It's musically honest, totally trendkilling, oblivious to the lures of money (for most bands), and it's the most unique of the genres.
07.06.2006 - 04:48
bangladesh
I don´t think prog is a subgenre but it´s here and so, i chose it.
Progressive metal can be from the death, to stoner, power, trash...etc..
And a band that plays a style of music but progressive is awsome.
Opeth, Isis, Pelican, Cult of Luna play their style but in a progressive way
07.06.2006 - 17:23
Damnated
Churchburner
Written by Taktsekte on 06.06.2006 at 21:43

Why the hell not? Metal is one of the most experimental and varied genres. You have a wide range from raw simplicity (traditional Black Metal) to melodic Prog Metal, including folklore instruments (Folk Metal), insanely speedy solos (Thrash Metal)... Metal is always improving and metal musicians are developping new sounds and experimenting with new genres (Space Metal, Nu-Metal, Symphonic Metal and more). There's nothing negative in giving fresh air to the music, especially when it is about bringing more professionality!

I really like to believe, that metal's most important thing isn't the vocals but the music itself. That's why I'm saying, that a band based almost entirely on the vocals is just a waste.
----

07.06.2006 - 17:27
Vunts
Written by [user id=1868] on 04.06.2006 at 23:21

Post of the day! (positively speaking)
I myself am rather similar. Some genres require different voices. I myself like how metal singers actually have the possibility to sing. Like Khan (Kamelot) and Hansi (Blind Guardian). They aint the only good power singers of course, but more like the ones people would stumble upon most often. So in conclusion, i totally hate the excuse "but he sings gay" towards power bands. For fucks sake, singing high has never been a form of gayety :S

After power, i also listen to a fair share of death metal. The two genres form the main circle. I also listen to some forms of black metal and a lot of doom metal. Of the grownling, i concider black metal the weakest. Sure they have talent and stuff, not saying they don't. I just think that it should be either clean or growl, not screeching. My favourite death metal band is Vader, followed by Yyrkoon and Kataklysm. Of black, i like Summoning. Of doom, i listen to My Dying Bride, Shape of Despair, Draconian and Thergothon. There are others also and i don't hate traditional doom. I just haven't gotten around to it yet.

I feel bothered by the fact that gothic metal has so little votes...why is that? The genre is great. Though yea, the term IS used rather loosely, often naming a band with female vocals or keyboards under gothic...Anyways, Tiamat and Crematory are the gothic bands i most enjoy.

Industrial metal and music in general is cool also. But bad industrial songs tend to get on my nerves a lot. I would think that the genre that has the potential to suck most is...well, i don't even know. Crappy black metal is probably the worst thing i could hear.

Anyways, i'm starting to lose track of what i have said, so i'll pull the ends together and say this: there is no metal genre that i truly hate or totally ignore.

I added a new part to the end

Written by Damnated on 07.06.2006 at 17:23

Written by Taktsekte on 06.06.2006 at 21:43

I really like to believe, that metal's most important thing isn't the vocals but the music itself. That's why I'm saying, that a band based almost entirely on the vocals is just a waste.

Reading this message after familiarizing myself with what you wrote a little up on this page
Quote:
You are right, although I don't find any atmosphere and joy in power metal, and that is mostly cuz of the horrible vocals. They all sound like lil' girls, singing in the music show. If they are such a talented vocalists, then they should visit the opera, and perform there. I'm serious.
I found that comment absolutely hilarious
07.06.2006 - 21:20
Nightmare^
my favourite subgenre is BLACK METAL.....its evil-dark sound and lyrics are really nice....Although my black metal CDs are only 25% of my whole collection, they are my favourite ones
----
07.06.2006 - 21:48
Revenant
Account deleted
Metal vocals are dramatic vocals. Thus opera style fit in as well as growls, personaly I find there is alot more power, atmosphere and emotion in Therion's vocals than any growls. Shouting though should stick to hardcore.

Dragonforce's singer is far mroe talented than most extreme metal vocalists but I can see why people don't like him, they're a pretty average band but their solos are great.

The most childish and irritating vocals I have heard in metal are for sure any metalcore vocals. It sounds like Blink 182 with screaming.