Metal Storm logo
Downloading

Original post

Posted by Valentin B, 26.08.2008 - 22:05
new thread, this time with more specific options(guess these options pretty much cover it all). please explain why you chose one of them. i do download, but i am exempt from all you purist's accusations, because (unlike people in wealthier countries!) i really cannot afford any cd most of the times, and i'm short of money usually, i'd be broke all the time if i wanted to buy all the downloaded stuff i have. so (yes, it's true, that's the only album i own) the one album in my collection is really the only metal album i have in my house(apart maybe for my dad's Queen vinyls but that's another story), it's a remastered edition which i got for a small price relative to the rest of the albums' prices, about 10$. but the rest of Priest's catalogue are either the same price or higher, so it would cost me around 150-200$ to get their entire discography. that's about half the normal salary...

Poll

Do you download albums illegaly?

Only to try, if i like it i'll buy it
Yes, I can't afford the cd's
Yes, I usually can't find cd's here
No, I must support the artist

Total votes: 174
27.04.2009 - 20:05
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Frankly, i don't get upset at those of you living in horribly oppressive areas downloading their tunes. i stand in admiration of those who risk imprisonment for listening to music.

as for Marcel, you are insane. no way in hell i'd buy multiple copies of the same disk to listen to one disk for one track. think of the pain in the ass factor of trying to enjoy, say, Napalm Death's "Scum" - you'd have to own 28 copies, and just the sequence of opening the tray, removing the prior disk, inserting the next disk, hitting play, and punching in the appropriate track number would take longer than some of the songs themselves!
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
27.04.2009 - 20:32
totaliteraliter
Written by Doc G. on 22.04.2009 at 22:13
Well, theres no official press release for it, and yeah it would be a direct result of download, less sales=less revenue=less payroll. This was before the economy started bombing, though economy doesnt help much either. Though realistically I think the downloading problems have actually plateaued since legal downloading is becoming more and more popular.

There are other ways to lose sales, you know. I understand that this anecdote supports your position and all, but do you have any evidence other than wishful thinking?
27.04.2009 - 20:51
jupitreas
hi-fi / lo-life
Staff
First of all, sound quality of downloading is exactly the same as a CD if you download in FLAC... So that is not an issue anymore, particularly since most good mp3 players out there play FLAC with no problem (except for iPods, Creative and Sony devices, which is no surprise).

Now onto the topic at hand. Downloading music in principle in the grand scheme of things is wrong since it is stealing, plain and simple. Nevertheless, in my opinion, downloading music is right NOW the right thing to do. Piracy is wrong but at this particular moment the infrastructure of distributing music is completely out of date and unable to cope with the expectations and needs of modern consumers. People no longer want to or care to go searching for a physical 'original' copy of an album they want to hear, they want this music RIGHT NOW, immediately and without hassle. They dont want thousands of pieces of plastic littering their homes and they similarly dont want to travel with a bag full of delicate physical mediums. There is nothing wrong with this, its a natural change in how people listen to music caused by a leap in technology, not that much different than the previous leaps in technology (vinyl, cassettes, CDs, MDs, DVD-As etc.).

Partaking in piracy today is a reactionary action, which shows that old distribution channels are not prepared to cope with the changing requirements of their consumers. Why do you think so many online music stores were launched in the last few years? Yep, piracy is the reason for it. The solution is not yet perfect in any way but at least some artists and labels are going in the right direction (most notably, NIN). When record labels finally realize they are trying to force people to buy music on mediums that are outdated and inconvenient to use, there will finally be a change in the infrastructure of music distribution and piracy once again will be nothing more than a common crime.

Personally, I think Napster and Rhapsody seem to be the way to go; however, they do not yet offer a nearly enough comprehensive archive of music to be seen as a good solution to the problem at hand. Nevertheless, the more people download music illegally, the higher the need will be to create an infrastructure that will make piracy no longer a more CONVENIENT way of getting music, and thus will be nothing more than a crime.

And for those sentimental sods who cant imagine living without their beloved physical mediums - don't worry, once the ether becomes the primary source of music distribution, plenty of small labels aimed at enthusiasts pressing custom CDs and vinyls will crop up...
28.04.2009 - 10:42
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Written by jupitreas on 27.04.2009 at 20:51

People no longer want to or care to go searching for a physical 'original' copy of an album they want to hear, they want this music RIGHT NOW, immediately and without hassle. They dont want thousands of pieces of plastic littering their homes and they similarly dont want to travel with a bag full of delicate physical mediums. There is nothing wrong with this, its a natural change in how people listen to music caused by a leap in technology, not that much different than the previous leaps in technology (vinyl, cassettes, CDs, MDs, DVD-As etc.).

ok, I have a question, this ppl you talked about, they preffer to pay the same money and just buy the eletronical album with the internet? I dont think so, they want the physical cds man. they just want to not pay and this way the modern society which you are talkin about will hear a lot of meaningless and useless albums, cause they have to be fast, cause someone would leak their music!

modern ppl can buy plastic things and leave them in shelves and download the same music for their portable players! I myself, if was a musician I woudlnt be happy to see ppl who steel my music when they could buy my music. Musicians are the victims of Technology? so fuck this technology! I prefer to buy tapes and destroy such funny thechnology! I have a lot of plastic cds but I dont use them! I downloaded the mp3's before I buy them you know! Im not againts download, but how many cds are you into? how many of them have meaning for you? just buy those cd's! you dont have to buy every useless music! its as you go to a music store and listen to music then if you like it you will buy it and if dont, wont buy it.
28.04.2009 - 12:21
jupitreas
hi-fi / lo-life
Staff
Written by [user id=31891] on 28.04.2009 at 10:42

People no longer want to or care to go searching for a physical 'original' copy of an album they want to hear, they want this music RIGHT NOW, immediately and without hassle. They dont want thousands of pieces of plastic littering their homes and they similarly dont want to travel with a bag full of delicate physical mediums. There is nothing wrong with this, its a natural change in how people listen to music caused by a leap in technology, not that much different than the previous leaps in technology (vinyl, cassettes, CDs, MDs, DVD-As etc.).

ok, I have a question, this ppl you talked about, they preffer to pay the same money and just buy the eletronical album with the internet? I dont think so, they want the physical cds man. they just want to not pay and this way the modern society which you are talkin about will hear a lot of meaningless and useless albums, cause they have to be fast, cause someone would leak their music!

modern ppl can buy plastic things and leave them in shelves and download the same music for their portable players! I myself, if was a musician I woudlnt be happy to see ppl who steel my music when they could buy my music. Musicians are the victims of Technology? so fuck this technology! I prefer to buy tapes and destroy such funny thechnology! I have a lot of plastic cds but I dont use them! I downloaded the mp3's before I buy them you know! Im not againts download, but how many cds are you into? how many of them have meaning for you? just buy those cd's! you dont have to buy every useless music! its as you go to a music store and listen to music then if you like it you will buy it and if dont, wont buy it.

No, not the same money, since distributing music online is much cheaper (no need to press CDs, print inlays, pay for transport of CDs, taxes etc.)
Musicians need not be victims of technology, they just need to adapt to it, like NIN did.
Finally, this has nothing to do with me personally, I was talking about how listening habits of the general music listener are changing. This is not a judgement of value - it does not matter if you or I think people do not in fact 'need' to hear all of this 'useless' music, but it is a fact that this is how a lot of people listen these days and the infrastructure needs to change to accomodate that, otherwise labels will lose more money and more people will download illegally.
28.04.2009 - 12:29
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Written by jupitreas on 28.04.2009 at 12:21

No, not the same money, since distributing music online is much cheaper (no need to press CDs, print inlays, pay for transport of CDs, taxes etc.)
Musicians need not be victims of technology, they just need to adapt to it, like NIN did.
Finally, this has nothing to do with me personally, I was talking about how listening habits of the general music listener are changing. This is not a judgement of value - it does not matter if you or I think people do not in fact 'need' to hear all of this 'useless' music, but it is a fact that this is how a lot of people listen these days and the infrastructure needs to change to accomodate that, otherwise labels will lose more money and more people will download illegally.

and arent you sorry for such ppl?
28.04.2009 - 13:27
jupitreas
hi-fi / lo-life
Staff
Written by [user id=31891] on 28.04.2009 at 12:29

Written by jupitreas on 28.04.2009 at 12:21

and arent you sorry for such ppl?

no, why should i care about them? i find it far more interesting to deliberate how things are changing than feeling sorry for people who are causing said change...
28.04.2009 - 18:15
TheBigRossowski
There is still something nice about OWNING a CD, but over the past year my views on downloading have definitely changed a bit. There isn't as much joy in buying an album any more. I have to ask myself now, what is really happening when I buy an album and when I download it?

I mean downloading it, I can put it directly into my Music files and onto my iPod. Whereas, if I buy that CD then I will just do the same thing and it will sit on my shelf now until I drive the car sometime. Lyrics? Can find them almost any where on the internet.

Do the bands receive a profit? Of course, but how much? Am I really helping them...

Times are changing. Jupitreas mixes one HELLUVA Caucasian.
----
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?
28.04.2009 - 19:18
Ernis
狼獾
Written by [user id=31891] on 27.04.2009 at 19:29

its somthin like "Korsan CD's" in turkey, and alot of them in china or malesya and pakistan, these are not originals, these are underground copies.

China is piracy paradise in terms of fake CDs and DVDs....some of them are cheap as hell and look decent altho they have the logotypes that assure that these have been released by Chinese distributors....I don't know whether Chinese distributors have made any contracts with the original labels or bands...

Sometimes you get funny moments....

I bought a Fields Of The Nephilim album and the CD label was of an album by Offspring...the music, thank God, was original....

Anette Olzon as the covergirl of Evanescence's "Fallen"....

Nightwish's "Angle Fall First" (sic!) for a really large sum of money (with clerk assuring it's "don't worry, originawr copy"...)
29.04.2009 - 15:42
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Well today Ive got Forest of Shadows - Six Waves of Woe. I like to share Niclas Frohagen's words here casue its about this thread:

thank you sanna w f, harry, micce a, rami h and firebox/firedomm, minerva p and finnvox, adamt, my colleagues at avalanche studios, stephane p, bodgan r, martin c and all other pas members, duncan d and rage of achilles (r.i.p.) , torsten and northern silence, family and friends, supportive bands and zines and specially the ones that manifest this by buying this (or any other) album and by that support the idea that music is, or at least can be, more than just random tracks, ripped out of their context and reduced to a number of megabytes to increase the size of some faceless, greedy collection.
29.04.2009 - 18:51
jupitreas
hi-fi / lo-life
Staff
Written by [user id=31891] on 29.04.2009 at 15:42

and specially the ones that manifest this by buying this (or any other) album and by that support the idea that music is, or at least can be, more than just random tracks, ripped out of their context and reduced to a number of megabytes to increase the size of some faceless, greedy collection.

They sound a bit defensive, no? If their music was any good, it would not be a random collection of tracks, even if as a part of a big collection. Quality music would be able to speak for itself regardless of medium. Mind you, I never heard the album so I have no idea if the music is any good or not, but come on, buying the album or downloading the music should have no influence on how much we enjoy their stuff. Should spending money on an album guilt you into liking it more??

BTW: music on a CD is also stored in megabytes.
29.04.2009 - 18:59
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Written by jupitreas on 29.04.2009 at 18:51

Written by [user id=31891] on 29.04.2009 at 15:42

and specially the ones that manifest this by buying this (or any other) album and by that support the idea that music is, or at least can be, more than just random tracks, ripped out of their context and reduced to a number of megabytes to increase the size of some faceless, greedy collection.

They sound a bit defensive, no? If their music was any good, it would not be a random collection of tracks, even if as a part of a big collection. Quality music would be able to speak for itself regardless of medium. Mind you, I never heard the album so I have no idea if the music is any good or not, but come on, buying the album or downloading the music should have no influence on how much we enjoy their stuff. Should spending money on an album guilt you into liking it more??

BTW: music on a CD is also stored in megabytes.

to be honest I cant understand you ok? , Forest of Shadows has big fans and at least 99% of them dont buy his stuff! I think! cause he is not such Britney Spears or whatever. I bought his album from Iran can you understand what the hell I mean? no you cant cause as it seems, you are against paying money to a band and its supporters! cause I really cant understand how can you say that you have to pay less in internet (and no one knows who sell them and who take advantage of them) but ppl like me who are loyal have to pay the exact money and then share it on net. so funny Idea, and the most funny thing is that I as a Musician have to release an electronic album! hmmm what are you tryin to say man?

Edit: if you havent listen to this album, download it with one click then listen to songs for one time then start to right a review about it!
29.04.2009 - 19:37
jupitreas
hi-fi / lo-life
Staff
Written by [user id=31891] on 29.04.2009 at 18:59

to be honest I cant understand you ok? , Forest of Shadows has big fans and at least 99% of them dont buy his stuff! I think! cause he is not such Britney Spears or whatever. I bought his album from Iran can you understand what the hell I mean? no you cant cause as it seems, you are against paying money to a band and its supporters! cause I really cant understand how can you say that you have to pay less in internet (and no one knows who sell them and who take advantage of them) but ppl like me who are loyal have to pay the exact money and then share it on net. so funny Idea, and the most funny thing is that I as a Musician have to release an electronic album! hmmm what are you tryin to say man?

Edit: if you havent listen to this album, download it with one click then listen to songs for one time then start to right a review about it!

I'm not against paying money to the band, on the contrary, if the album is available from a store like eMusic or something, I'd gladly pay for it. What I am against is paying for a piece of plastic when all I really want is the MUSIC.

PS: If I were to review this album, I'd need to listen to it many more times than just once, lol.
30.04.2009 - 10:20
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
@jupitreas, so you dont like plastics! so artwork which is very important for a lot o us is nothing for you?

you dont own any plastic album?
30.04.2009 - 14:05
jupitreas
hi-fi / lo-life
Staff
Written by [user id=31891] on 30.04.2009 at 10:20

@jupitreas, so you dont like plastics! so artwork which is very important for a lot o us is nothing for you?

Sure I do. Ive been listening to music for many years, well before downloading became widespread... But I dont want plastic anymore. It takes space, costs extra money to be produced and is completely useless once I rip its contents onto my hard disc. Try moving from one country to another with thousands of CDs. Its hell, believe me.

As for artwork, what stops artists from releasing artwork with a download of their album? NIN releases PDF files with all of their digital releases, which feature artwork of much higher resolution and larger size than what you get on a CD, or even on vinyl... They even add different artwork to every song so that players like Winamp display it while the album is playing...

So what is the problem? I fail to see how a downloadable album is inferior to a CD in any way except for the sentimental/nostalgic idea of holding something physical in your hands...
30.04.2009 - 17:52
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Written by jupitreas on 30.04.2009 at 14:05

Written by [user id=31891] on 30.04.2009 at 10:20

Sure I do. Ive been listening to music for many years, well before downloading became widespread... But I dont want plastic anymore. It takes space, costs extra money to be produced and is completely useless once I rip its contents onto my hard disc. Try moving from one country to another with thousands of CDs. Its hell, believe me.

As for artwork, what stops artists from releasing artwork with a download of their album? NIN releases PDF files with all of their digital releases, which feature artwork of much higher resolution and larger size than what you get on a CD, or even on vinyl... They even add different artwork to every song so that players like Winamp display it while the album is playing...

So what is the problem? I fail to see how a downloadable album is inferior to a CD in any way except for the sentimental/nostalgic idea of holding something physical in your hands...

so you are a postmoden or modern man! but Im not I like to have it physicaly, cause its important to me. I dont know if a hard disc fails what would a person like you do? download it illegaly? cuase you bought it once? spend a lot of time to download gigs?

anyway, I like to buy books not pdf's and I cant take it if one day a digital book device comes to shops!
30.04.2009 - 17:57
jupitreas
hi-fi / lo-life
Staff
Written by [user id=31891] on 30.04.2009 at 17:52

so you are a postmoden or modern man! but Im not I like to have it physicaly, cause its important to me. I dont know if a hard disc fails what would a person like you do? download it illegaly? cuase you bought it once? spend a lot of time to download gigs?

anyway, I like to buy books not pdf's and I cant take it if one day a digital book device comes to shops!

i have an extra hard disc that I use as backup...

and you know, you shouldn't fear change... change is interesting, it is what brings inspiration to our human minds. i really believe people should be less sentimental about things.
30.04.2009 - 18:06
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Written by jupitreas on 30.04.2009 at 17:57

Written by [user id=31891] on 30.04.2009 at 17:52

i have an extra hard disc that I use as backup...

and you know, you shouldn't fear change... change is interesting, it is what brings inspiration to our human minds. i really believe people should be less sentimental about things.

I like to change, but not to the end of the hell. have you heard of "The Road to Hell" by Chris Rea?

"this is not upwardwardly mobile free way, this is the road to hell"
30.04.2009 - 18:15
jupitreas
hi-fi / lo-life
Staff
Well, hell is far more interesting than heaven, you know..
dunno about you but i'd much rather spend eternity with hookers, prostitutes and rock stars than with ghandi, mother theresa and jesus!
30.04.2009 - 18:20
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Written by jupitreas on 30.04.2009 at 18:15

dunno about you but i'd much rather spend eternity with hookers, prostitutes and rock stars than with ghandi, mother theresa and jesus!

hell not hell. there is a different btw hell and hell. ok? I cant open a new vocabulary here! so I have to use same words as chris rea did. Im not religionist and dont believe in your hell or heaven
30.04.2009 - 18:25
jupitreas
hi-fi / lo-life
Staff
Written by [user id=31891] on 30.04.2009 at 18:20

Written by jupitreas on 30.04.2009 at 18:15

hell not hell. there is a different btw hell and hell. ok? I cant open a new vocabulary here! so I have to use same words as chris rea did. Im not religionist and dont believe in your hell or heaven

you take everything so seriously dont you? obviously i was joking. but if i am to be more clear - change leads to conflict, for sure. but conflict is creative.

dont get so defensive about religion, man. someone who doesnt give a shit about religion should be able make jokes about it, no?
30.04.2009 - 18:39
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
@jupitreas, I like to talk searious , but in the end I knew that I was wrong about you, I thought that you are against to pay but when someone pays it doesnt care if it is physicaly or electronic. you have this idea and its nice cause it saves nature from polution but I like this way cause its old and classic but Im not against nature for sure.
30.04.2009 - 18:43
jupitreas
hi-fi / lo-life
Staff
Written by [user id=31891] on 30.04.2009 at 18:39

@jupitreas, I like to talk searious , but in the end I knew that I was wrong about you, I thought that you are against to pay but when someone pays it doesnt care if it is physicaly or electronic. you have this idea and its nice cause it saves nature from polution but I like this way cause its old and classic but Im not against nature for sure.

exactly, im happy to pay the artist for their work but only if they make it available in a way that is suitable for me and more importantly, compatible with the changing times... this is why i am PRO downloading, because it will bring about the change in distribution faster...
02.05.2009 - 22:04
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by metalhead3 on 02.05.2009 at 21:55

I download all music,i don't know why spend money on cd,i know with that i support band but it is stupid to buy if you can free download.

Spoken like a true child. Because the recording industry is a business, and business doesn't run on adrenaline and hugs. Studios cost money.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
02.05.2009 - 22:15
TheOwl
Written by Doc G. on 02.05.2009 at 22:04

I download all music,i don't know why spend money on cd,i know with that i support band but it is stupid to buy if you can free download.

Spoken like a true child. Because the recording industry is a business, and business doesn't run on adrenaline and hugs. Studios cost money.

I buy loads of CDs and vinyls cause I am a collector and want to have the physical product in my hand. I love to be able to touch it, feel it, even smell it! I buy all the stuff I love to have. I only download just a few tracks a month just to get the ideas
03.05.2009 - 07:30
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by TheOwl on 02.05.2009 at 22:15

Written by Doc G. on 02.05.2009 at 22:04

I buy loads of CDs and vinyls cause I am a collector and want to have the physical product in my hand. I love to be able to touch it, feel it, even smell it! I buy all the stuff I love to have. I only download just a few tracks a month just to get the ideas

Don't get me wrong, it wasn't an attack on people who do purchase and do a little bit of downloading, although I dont do it myself I guess I can understand. Its these people with the really childish short-sighted attitude of...well, just look at the post I quoted to see the exact typical attitude I'm speaking of.
----
- George Carlin
03.05.2009 - 19:19
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
The whole issue of downloading is an interesting debate, but this topic has a desperate lack of figures in my opinion. It'd really help the debate if we'd know what portion of your hard-earned 15 bucks go to the bands and how much is for the record companies. And how much of a profit record companies make, cause it's retarted to think that the business is 'the enemy'. Fuck that. They still fulfill a very important job in the process of recording - releasing. Perhaps some labels receive disproportionate profits, but still, they have their value.

Also, what the hell is this 'supporting' of a band? If you buy your music from the label or some distro, first hand, you are supporting a band. But if you buy your stuff second-hand, from e-bay for example, you're not. Why not? You're not creating extra demand, not a single penny of your money goes to the band (or even the label that supports the band, for that matter). So all you who buy your albums cheap from second-hand stores, isn't it smarter to buy them first-hand, but with the knowledge that you're actually supporting your favourite band now? Food for thought, I'd say.

I'm not saying I don't buy second-hand, hell, I'm currently buying a lot of second-hand stuff. But it's really your only option when you're buying stuff that's out of print for ten years already.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
03.05.2009 - 22:52
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by Lucas on 03.05.2009 at 19:19

Also, what the hell is this 'supporting' of a band? If you buy your music from the label or some distro, first hand, you are supporting a band. But if you buy your stuff second-hand, from e-bay for example, you're not. Why not? You're not creating extra demand, not a single penny of your money goes to the band (or even the label that supports the band, for that matter). So all you who buy your albums cheap from second-hand stores, isn't it smarter to buy them first-hand, but with the knowledge that you're actually supporting your favourite band now? Food for thought, I'd say.

It was actually paid to the company/band already, and was not mass-distributed from a small handful of copies. I work at a used CD store so this is something that has come across my mind multiple times. My boss explained it to me simply as, "Its not necessarily directly supporting any artists or companies, but rather that its stimulating the market for it" he then explained in greater detail, which I can't remember, but the sum up really made a lot of sense to me. It also helps because it gives a lot of careful people the motivation to take a risk on an album they might not like.
----
- George Carlin
03.05.2009 - 23:02
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Stimulating the market? Doubt so. Yeah, if other people see it go on e-bay and think "hmm, apparently it's selling so I might check it", but that's pretty far-fetched. Though if you want a cheap album to check a band out and then buy the rest of their disco... I'd be interested in the greater detail though, but alas...
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
04.05.2009 - 04:49
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by Lucas on 03.05.2009 at 23:02

Stimulating the market? Doubt so. Yeah, if other people see it go on e-bay and think "hmm, apparently it's selling so I might check it", but that's pretty far-fetched. Though if you want a cheap album to check a band out and then buy the rest of their disco... I'd be interested in the greater detail though, but alas...

Its not so cut and dry, and its a very indirect chain he described. A number of reasons came up, yes, buying a cheap album will make people inclined to buy more new albums of the same artist. But also keep in mind the used CDs are coming from somewhere, people aren't as afraid to buy new albums if they know they can get a bit of their money back at my store, or perhaps trade it in for another album. Its got nothing to do with any big business investment levels. Its not a perfect form of support for the music industry, and I'll never claim it is, but its better than nothing.
----
- George Carlin