Metal Storm logo
What makes you listen to black metal?

Original post

Posted by Unknown user, 24.06.2006 - 23:58
Hey, I'm curious to know what makes you people listen to black metal? how did you started listening to it?
1st black metal song you listened? Is there any band that as finished that you wish them to come back?
What do you think about the future of black metal?

I love all in black metal, the ideas, the atmosphere, the vocals, drums etc... I started listening to black metal when a friend of mine gave me gorgoroth - pentagram to listen. I loved it and i went right over to a store here and bought the album, since then I have bought many Black metal albums from bands like immortal, nokturnal mortum, darkthrone, carpathian forest and many more. the 1st song i listened was "under the pagan megalith" (awsome track from pentagram).
I am really excited about the idea of immortal re-union, they are one of my favorite bands, I love all their albums (but specialy pure holocaust )
About the future, i think the good bands will always remain but new bands are needed and i don't see excelent new bands.
Here in Portugal we have bands like Lux Ferre, In Thy Flesh, Opus Draconis, Corpus Christii and more, in my opinion they are great but they don't have support to go on and this is happening all over the world.

Please post your opinions and stories

Cheers!
27.08.2006 - 03:18
Jesus_Puncher
Account deleted
I only Like oldschool black Metal for The Rawness...and to laugh at the image...which btw bands and The scene nowadays seem to only focus on the image and take themselves too seriously
27.08.2006 - 11:42
Throne of Rats
^^ Yeah agree except fot the laughing part.
I think new bands today look too much at their image, but hey lets face it Eyronumous was a bit like that. Bands like Ragnarok which I personally can't stand is because of their attitude towards BM with their big "scary" image when their music lacks in quality and being able to be listenable.
----
Burning Crosses, Invoke the Powers, Rape the Crown, Hell Awaits!!
27.08.2006 - 19:22
Basso
Account deleted
Written by Bad English on 06.07.2006 at 20:13

Emperor I dunno why people rate them so much, maybe because people are diferent and moust of who say I liek BM knows only Dimmu Borgir, Emmperor, Mayhem and Immortal, maybe thats why

K7 I almost got offended there I love Emperor because I can directly relate everything I love in music to their sound, and believe me I know quite many "underground" bands so it doesnt have anything to do with me not knowing "better" bands, we all have different taste right?

Anyway I was wondering if you know where I can buy Bishop of Hexen cds? Having a hard time finding them in sweden, and I have heard samples that sound very promising, so i dont want to download it ^^
27.08.2006 - 19:34
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by [user id=5394] on 27.08.2006 at 19:22

Written by Bad English on 06.07.2006 at 20:13

Emperor I dunno why people rate them so much, maybe because people are diferent and moust of who say I liek BM knows only Dimmu Borgir, Emmperor, Mayhem and Immortal, maybe thats why

K7 I almost got offended there I love Emperor because I can directly relate everything I love in music to their sound, and believe me I know quite many "underground" bands so it doesnt have anything to do with me not knowing "better" bands, we all have different taste right?

Anyway I was wondering if you know where I can buy Bishop of Hexen cds? Having a hard time finding them in sweden, and I have heard samples that sound very promising, so i dont want to download it ^^

I hawe nothing against Emperor, bur Í agee thay had specifical sound and thay are great, but problem are to many people listern them and thay dont sounds like pure black, thay leithetr change them to lil avangarde, but not so bad how some other bands

BoH why you dont want dounloud?
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - "Speak English or Die"

I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
27.08.2006 - 19:38
Basso
Account deleted
Written by Bad English on 27.08.2006 at 19:34

Simple : I want to support the band by buying their material
27.08.2006 - 19:41
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by [user id=5394] on 27.08.2006 at 19:38

Written by Bad English on 27.08.2006 at 19:34

Simple : I want to support the band by buying their material

O I see you can send them 10 dolars and dounloud and I dunno where you can by send them email and ask
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - "Speak English or Die"

I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
27.08.2006 - 21:29
Basso
Account deleted
Written by Bad English on 27.08.2006 at 19:41

O I see you can send them 10 dolars and dounloud and I dunno where you can by send them email and ask

thats just lame sending them 10 dollars. Ok you won Im downloading it right now xD I wont debatte this anymore. Screw support.
27.08.2006 - 23:05
Bitter Dawn
Ave Sathanas!
I actually do not remember who I heard first, it was either "Metal Heart" or "Freezing Moon," and I can how ever recall thinking how terrible and poor quality Mayhem sounded yet I thought it was great, so I picked up De Mysterris Dom Sathanas. But the Dimmu song left a differant impression, I thought there stuff was pretty good right off the bat, I like bm a lot but I for some reason don't think Dimmu is looked upon highly by those whom consider themselves "true" black metallers, but they are a talented band. Aside from Dimmu, my favourite bm band has got to be Darkthrone because their stuff is simple yet very strong, gritty and holds a true sound, and I personally like how they record their music so it's as if it has a grain texture to it.
I don't know about future bm though, I only really pay attention to artists on Moonfog it seems or at least those who started there but that's not to say I don't have an interest in less known acts, I simply don't know who to check out.

The bm as a whole is very dominating with it's "personality," with the exception of the trivial devil worshipping (not satanism per se,) the ideals behind bm are empowering and that's an admirable quality. Despite having mixed thoughts about Varg I think what he started held some merit to it, primarily how he wanted to (or so he claims) revive Norse mythology and spirituality and if that meant destroying Christian establishments then so be it, an eye for an eye and that's what the Christians are or were all about to, "Do unto others, has you'd have them do unto you." The thing I don't understand is bm carries a varying dose of fascist ideals too, so why are people that are not European/caucasian listening to this music, in reality they may get fucked up by self-proclaimed pureists. Hellhammer even stated that bm is white people music and that they don't like blacks.
28.08.2006 - 07:07
ironman2002
What i like in BM? The sound, atmosphere, lyrics...
The first BM song that I heard was Dunkelheit by Burzum. I didin't know a thing about this kind of music and about Burzum then. Now I hate this band and in my opinion fags like Varg are the dirty spots on other great BM scene!
28.08.2006 - 16:37
Basso
Account deleted
Written by ironman2002 on 28.08.2006 at 07:07

The first BM song that I heard was Dunkelheit by Burzum. I didin't know a thing about this kind of music and about Burzum then. Now I hate this band and in my opinion fags like Varg are the dirty spots on other great BM scene!

Pffff... Burzum owns you all, no matter his PERSONAL ideology.
28.08.2006 - 20:20
ironman2002
Written by [user id=5394] on 28.08.2006 at 16:37

Really?? His ideology influenced most of the nazi BM bands (especially slavic).
28.08.2006 - 20:27
Basso
Account deleted
My friend, I understand that you are from Israel and might get offended by his personal beliefs and also the silly NSBM scene. But his MUSIC doesnt involve any feelings of hate towards any of us not you nor me, since they are rather philosofical. The fact that he himself is a moron doesnt really matter in the long run.

I mean I like Megadeth no matter how retarded Mustain is.
28.08.2006 - 20:36
ironman2002
Written by [user id=5394] on 28.08.2006 at 20:27

I mean I like Megadeth no matter how retarded Mustain is.

Yeah, I see.
28.08.2006 - 20:40
-tom-
Mr FancyPants
Written by ironman2002 on 28.08.2006 at 20:20

these bands used to be left-wing but then decided to become nazis straight after hearing burzum, right?
----
"This rudderless world is not shaped my metaphysical forces. It is not God who kills the children. Not fate that butchers them or destiny that feeds them to the dogs. It's us. Only us"

Read Watchmen.
28.08.2006 - 21:17
Basso
Account deleted
Written by -tom- on 28.08.2006 at 20:40

Written by ironman2002 on 28.08.2006 at 20:20

these bands used to be left-wing but then decided to become nazis straight after hearing burzum, right?

@ Tee : lol rather funny way to look at it ^^

@ ironman2002 : I am not to sure if that is sarcasm flowing through your post ^^?
28.08.2006 - 21:18
-tom-
Mr FancyPants
i believe its called sarcasm
----
"This rudderless world is not shaped my metaphysical forces. It is not God who kills the children. Not fate that butchers them or destiny that feeds them to the dogs. It's us. Only us"

Read Watchmen.
28.08.2006 - 21:39
ironman2002
Hey, it's not a fucking sarcasm. I believe Basso is really interested in music only.
28.08.2006 - 21:51
Damnated
Churchburner

Now I hate this band and in my opinion fags like Varg are the dirty spots on other great BM scene!

And I hate ignorant ppl like you, taking every word personal. Varg is a man and music is another thing. His music isn't full of NS stuff btw, Varg is. So you can listen to his music with a clean concience. And what if he sang about NS stuff? It wont make you a nazi! just like music with lyrics about worshiping satan wont make you become one.
----
Blessed is he that murders Christ in himself and in his fellow men.

Written by TheBigRossowski on 10.02.2009 at 16:01

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
28.08.2006 - 21:54
Damnated
Churchburner
Written by Throne of Rats on 27.08.2006 at 11:42

I think new bands today look too much at their image,

And wich are these bands? Could you name a few?
----

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
28.08.2006 - 22:02
-tom-
Mr FancyPants
Written by ironman2002 on 28.08.2006 at 21:39

Hey, it's not a fucking sarcasm. I believe Basso is really interested in music only.

no, i meant my post was sarcastic.

sorry.
----

Read Watchmen.
28.08.2006 - 23:15
Basso
Account deleted
sarcasm isnt as easy to discover on the net as in a covnversation ^^
06.09.2006 - 01:47
DoomLordDTR
Account deleted
I like the atmosphere some bands can generate, great compositions that are created, the emotion and the thought inducing lyrics which some bands come up with
07.09.2006 - 15:47
Vintervarg
Account deleted
What makes me listen to black metal? Well, I admit... it was Satan. See? I told you.

No, really. I don't know what made me listen to black metal? I quess it's the obscure atmosphere that black metal has it.
21.09.2006 - 16:49
misskeets
Account deleted
In all honesty, as horrible as it sounds, I started listening to black metal cos I thought it was funny. I know that'll outrage you diehard black metal fans, but that's the honest truth to it.

I had a somewhat misguided induction.

I obviously understand now that there's a lot more behind EVERY genre of metal - ambience, philosophy, craftmanship and musicianship. No matter the message behind the song, it's the overall compostion that makes it great. I agree that the corporeal being behind the music isn't important.
10.10.2006 - 12:08
butcher-bob
Account deleted
Black Metal is more interesting than other sorts of metal, the drumming is much better, gitarr riffs are awesome and the vocals are demonic. It creates an atmosphere that takes you along for a ride in the darker side of life.
10.10.2006 - 17:27
Warman
Erotic Stains
I said before that I listen to Black metal because of the musics evil atmosphere, which I love. Maybe I should add that Black metal seemed to be an very interesting and original genre which made me listen to it ... and a lot of die hard Black metal fans will be furious with me when I say that Cradle of Filth also was one of the reasons that I started listening to it
----
10.10.2006 - 18:02
Damnated
Churchburner
to an 'outsider' everything with harsh/screamed vocals is considered black/death metal, so I'll forgive you
----

10.10.2006 - 22:45
Basso
Account deleted
Written by Warman on 10.10.2006 at 17:27

I said before that I listen to Black metal because of the musics evil atmosphere, which I love. Maybe I should add that Black metal seemed to be an very interesting and original genre which made me listen to it ... and a lot of die hard Black metal fans will be furious with me when I say that Cradle of Filth also was one of the reasons that I started listening to it

I myself had my first contact with "black metal" with Cradle of Filth , didnt like it at all though. Then I heard Dimmu Borgir, Enthrone Darkness Triumphant, and I totally fell in love. Downloaded all their albums and started listening to Dimmu Borgir like a nerd. At a later time I heard CoF again and I was able to enjoy it, but I was never able to fully enjoy CoF.

Btw: I went from Slipknot to Dimmu Borgir, does that make me a bad person ? lol
11.10.2006 - 08:33
X-pert74
Account deleted
I listen to Black Metal because I like the atmosphere, attitude, and some of the philosophy present in some bands' lyrics. And also because of the music :p I especially like the sort of dark, hidden evil atmosphere present in bands like Von and Beherit.
14.10.2006 - 21:36
Natural Disaster
Account deleted
Written by [user id=5394] on 28.08.2006 at 16:37

The only reason why burzum is so good known is because he fucked euro, no one gives a shit about his music