Metal Storm logo
80s Thrash Metal

Original post

Posted by Mega-Slayer, 27.09.2006 - 04:39
This thread is dedicated to the 80's Thrash metal scene,primarily underdog groups.This thread isn't meant to decide who the greatest thrash group was or is. Just to talk about bands you are interested in,what albums you consider to be classics, and so forth.A very unnapreciated group with one of THE greatest thrash albums ever released is Dark Angel,"Darkness Descends" was an instant favorite when I heard the opening riff for the first song.One other group I really enjoy is from the late 80's,went by the name of Evildead,they were among the few that had originality in their music at the time,they weren't just another Thrash group.I have only heard their debut "Annihilation Of Civilization",but "Underworld" is also a classic from what i've heard.Viking,Sacred Reich, Whiplash,and Exciter also kick ass.
04.12.2007 - 21:26
Demonmayonnaise
Yeah uh... I think it was Black Sabbath... Have you ever even listened to the song Symptom of the Universe?
04.12.2007 - 21:33
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Demonmayonnaise on 04.12.2007 at 21:26

Yeah uh... I think it was Black Sabbath... Have you ever even listened to the song Symptom of the Universe?

and you ask it to me ....
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - "Speak English or Die"

I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
04.12.2007 - 21:34
Demonmayonnaise
I do believe that was a yes or no question...
04.12.2007 - 21:45
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Demonmayonnaise on 04.12.2007 at 21:34

I do believe that was a yes or no question...

Of corse yes
----

04.12.2007 - 21:46
Demonmayonnaise
Now tell me you dont hear any influence from that song on thrash?
04.12.2007 - 21:56
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Demonmayonnaise on 04.12.2007 at 21:46

Now tell me you dont hear any influence from that song on thrash?

No and yes, no because its not thrash, ye sbecause how many notes and acords are not many
----

07.12.2007 - 10:38
Paradox0
Unasuming Madnes
actually if you want an earlier song which influenced thrash, try Queens "Stone Cold Crazy", off of "Sheer Heart Attack". Probably the heaviest damn thing at the time (1974). Actually metallica covered it (but the power chord sections drive me crazy in a bad way)
12.12.2007 - 00:54
Zemby
Account deleted
Every Thrash fan ought to know this bands:

Morbid Saint
Slaughter
Slayer
Dark Angel
Vio-Lence
Exhorder
... and many more

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGx_lkJsCZI - Morbid Saint 'Lock Up Your Children'

Have you tried Terrorizer - World Downfall? I know it's grind but I as a true thrash Maniac recently felt in love with it. Pure headbang, very brutal and raw. I think it is a must to try for every extreme metal music fan.
Faster and heavier than 'Reign In Blood' itself, check the sample below or I'll piss on your grave:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2KgenV8drw - Terrorizer 'Corporation Pull-in'

Besides that if you are interested with Old Thrash, the best source for you is:
www.metal-archives.com this site contains everything about rare and Forbidden Old School bands.

Every one's know that Venom started the Thrash movement.

If you listen to old thrash I like you a lot people!
12.12.2007 - 08:00
Hembrom
Diabolic Priest
^ Nice post there , first post including Morbid Saint .... killer.
12.12.2007 - 09:45
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
YEAH

yestedray when I arrived home after work at 2 pm I found in the mail...

Exodus - Double Dynamo Live dvd.

a killer dvd which can only be ordered through the band's website featuring two concerts in Eindhoven, The Netherlands with Paul balloff on vocals.

the first concert is the only headlining show (they were on tour with Venom then) Exodus did in October 1985 at the Dynamo Club which couold only hold up to 200 people at the time but at that concerts they squeezed more than 300 in I think. This show is flimed by one camera only from the balcony part of the venue where the lgihtmen oparted the lights at the time. SOund is pretty good considering and also the footage itself ain't half bad. At this gig they play the entire Bonded By Blood album, PLUS Hell's Breath, Deathrow, Pleasures Of The Flesh, and IMPALER, plus two guitar solo spots by Hunolt and Holt, also included is the soundcheck of earlier that day.
The second concert is the 1997 gig at Dynamo Open Air in front of 88,000 people line-up wise the only difference with the 1985 gig is that Rob McKillop is out and Jack Gibson is on bass. Here they play the Bonded By Blood album minus Metal Command but with Pleasure Of The Flesh (with the tribal intro) the crowd goes completely crazy here and the sound is fucking heavy in the bottom end, though Balloff is off quite a bit and not up to scratch this doesn't bothe rme for one sec since it was an AWESOME gig nonetheless.

and coming Friday will see me sprint home from the record store to watch the Toxik live dvd which will be relased that day and feature Toxik's 1988 Dynamo Open Air live gig.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

12.12.2007 - 09:57
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
@Marcel why there are no more Dinamo Open Air festivals and why it aclls Dinamo
HS tell me but i forgot
----

12.12.2007 - 10:29
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Bad English on 12.12.2007 at 09:57

@Marcel why there are no more Dinamo Open Air festivals and why it aclls Dinamo
HS tell me but i forgot

It was called Dynamo Open Air because it is named after the Dynamo Club in Eindhoven, the first Dynamo Open in 1986 was organized as celebration for the Dynamo Club existing five years. that first DOA had about 5,000 people attending and after that it grew very very quickly to the 120,000+ at its peak. Dynamo Open Air started as a free of charge festival and only cost about 0.5 euro for a couple of years and then cost more and more.
DOA isn't around anymore because the venues they used (first an ice skating rink and later and abandoned airport, all got torn down and they had a couple of different festival sites as well, but those weren't as good. Aother reason is that its popularity also meant its downfall. 120,000 is way way way too many people to handle safely in an festival environment which is run by able amateurs and not by professionals.
If Wacken doesn't want to die it should learn from the Dynamo Open Air experiences.
When Dynamo Open Air started it actually was THE FIRST underground metal festival in the world only later to be joined by other open air underground metal festivals liek graspop & Wacken etc. (Donnington though metal didn't feature solely underground bands) and nwo one can attend loads and loads of metal festivals in summer.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

12.12.2007 - 11:19
DrunkenFuck
Thrasher!
Wow 120.000.. It would be awesome to perform in front of 120.000 people.

Hope Wacken dosent end that way. This year there were about 70-80.000, and you could tell that it was almost a bit too many. I hope they don't raise it.
----
THRASH!!!
11.02.2008 - 00:46
SlaytallicA
Lycanthropy
I miss the 80's sound! It was all so pure and but at the same time it was insane! All the great band came from that, such as Slayer, Testament, Exodus, MetallicA... Now are a bunch of kids singing rap or scream to the micro... That Sucks!
----
One Pound Of Flesh, No More No Less, No Cartilage, No Bones, But Only Flesh...
11.02.2008 - 06:42
m3t4lh34d
Written by Demonmayonnaise on 03.12.2007 at 21:15

Ive been listening to some thrash lately.. im really likin megadeth. The song Symptom of the Universe by Black Sabbath is the first thrash riff i think.. great fucking song...

Various Sabbath songs were hugely influential to the thrash sound. The one you listed is probably the biggest. If it were played faster, and with different vocals, it would seem perfectly at home in any early 80s thrash album.

To go even further back, listen to the opening riff of Children Of The Grave, also by Sabbath... and that's in 1971!!
11.02.2008 - 06:53
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
Written by m3t4lh34d on 11.02.2008 at 06:42

Written by Demonmayonnaise on 03.12.2007 at 21:15

Ive been listening to some thrash lately.. im really likin megadeth. The song Symptom of the Universe by Black Sabbath is the first thrash riff i think.. great fucking song...

Various Sabbath songs were hugely influential to the thrash sound. The one you listed is probably the biggest. If it were played faster, and with different vocals, it would seem perfectly at home in any early 80s thrash album.

To go even further back, listen to the opening riff of Children Of The Grave, also by Sabbath... and that's in 1971!!

You could make a case for "Paranoid" too, which came out the year before.
----
The force will be with you, always.
11.02.2008 - 07:02
m3t4lh34d
Yeah, Paranoid is another one. They have songs with thrashy riffs throughout their early discography.

Mix a little bit of Sabbath, some Misfits, some NWOBHM, and some Mercyful Fate with American style and you've planted the seeds of Bay Area thrash. Those of course aren't the only influences, there are far too many to mention, but they are major ones.
11.02.2008 - 18:57
stigma77
Account deleted
I also think Dark Angel's Darkness Descents are a little forgotten in the Thrashes best of lists!

Killer album and monster drummer!!

Other 80s thrash bands that I dig: Whiplash, Vio-lence (not really sure if they aren't early 90s), Exhorder,Nuclear Assault.
12.02.2008 - 04:38
Gregorasaurus
Account deleted
Darkness Descends is great 80s thrash.
20.02.2008 - 02:03
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
I'm currently eating up anything having to do with '80s Thrash. Kind of makes me sad I was born at the end of this great decade in Metal. Everything from it's NWOBHM and Punk beginnings to the defining albums to the end of the decade. Good thing some bands carried over some great music into the '90s too. Great music. Currently listening to Heathen's debut 'Breaking the Silence.' Fucking classic!
----
20.02.2008 - 19:58
Inlé
Good old Heathen, I have high hopes for the upcoming LP, their littl demo/EP (not sure which) of "Recovered" was pretty good, hearing songs such as "Hypnotized" with the new production was great.

Been in a more technical thrash mood lately, been listening to a lot of Powermad, Whiplashes "Insult To Injury", Forced Entry, Watchtower, Xentrix etc recently. Great stuff!
03.04.2008 - 23:49
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
So if we're all in agreement that California was the best area for Thrash, then where would we point to for the second best? Germany? New York? Brazil?
----
03.04.2008 - 23:50
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Secend best Germany and around but not in 80tie sbut 90ties
----

03.04.2008 - 23:54
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
Written by Bad English on 03.04.2008 at 23:50

Why the '90s?
----
03.04.2008 - 23:55
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Clintagräm on 03.04.2008 at 23:54

Written by Bad English on 03.04.2008 at 23:50

Why the '90s?

Sodom, Destructio, Holy Mosess ar eoverated and bad quality, aks Marcel he can explai better how i, but in 90ties in Ger was good but not so know bands
----

05.04.2008 - 07:22
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
@K7: I'm sorry dude but Sodom and Holy Moses both kick ass, and are far from overated when compared to certain other thrash bands, though there are more underground than them....
----
"For the Coward there is no Life
For the hero there is No Death"
-Kakita Toshimoko

"The Philosopher, you know so much about nothing at all." _Chuck Schuldiner.
05.04.2008 - 18:18
kackbratze
Does anyone know Gothic Slam? If not, check them out here:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=F2jeQ9F8RoI

They have released two albums "Killer Instinct" and "Just a Face in the Crowd". I only know the latter which is quite good thrash metal, though not overwhelming. It's more on the slow/groovy side.
05.04.2008 - 22:19
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Arian Totalis on 05.04.2008 at 07:22

@K7: I'm sorry dude but Sodom and Holy Moses both kick ass, and are far from overated when compared to certain other thrash bands, though there are more underground than them....

ask Marcel he can explain more and in better english why thay sucks
----

06.04.2008 - 09:20
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
Written by Bad English on 05.04.2008 at 22:19

I think it's more a matter of opinion, obviously. Marcel can explain maybe why he and you alike think they suck, but that doesn't really mean much. I consider Teutonic Thrash Metal of the 80s to be very good. "I AM POSSESSED BY FIRE!"
----
06.04.2008 - 15:42
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Clintagräm on 06.04.2008 at 09:20

Written by Bad English on 05.04.2008 at 22:19

I think it's more a matter of opinion, obviously. Marcel can explain maybe why he and you alike think they suck, but that doesn't really mean much.

Exactly. But for Holy Moses they only got and still get all the attention because they are fronted by a female. None of their albums and songs have ever been memorable or classic. Jeez, I saw them live last December and they were really crap tbh. I even preferred Sodom at the same festival and that means something from someone who hates Sodom with all his guts. But Sodomare your proverbial arrogant Germans though. That concert was in Arnhem (The Netherlands) and they just kept on perservering in speaking in German in between songs. I hate it when a foreign band plays the Netherlands and they don't speak English or Dutch (okay cannot blame them for not speaking Dutch :-) As if we in the Netehrlands ALL speak German or French or whatever... NO WE DON'T, and a lot of Dutch people are also crap at English although they think they are brilliant at it.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996