Metal Storm logo
What makes you listen to black metal?

Original post

Posted by Unknown user, 24.06.2006 - 23:58
Hey, I'm curious to know what makes you people listen to black metal? how did you started listening to it?
1st black metal song you listened? Is there any band that as finished that you wish them to come back?
What do you think about the future of black metal?

I love all in black metal, the ideas, the atmosphere, the vocals, drums etc... I started listening to black metal when a friend of mine gave me gorgoroth - pentagram to listen. I loved it and i went right over to a store here and bought the album, since then I have bought many Black metal albums from bands like immortal, nokturnal mortum, darkthrone, carpathian forest and many more. the 1st song i listened was "under the pagan megalith" (awsome track from pentagram).
I am really excited about the idea of immortal re-union, they are one of my favorite bands, I love all their albums (but specialy pure holocaust )
About the future, i think the good bands will always remain but new bands are needed and i don't see excelent new bands.
Here in Portugal we have bands like Lux Ferre, In Thy Flesh, Opus Draconis, Corpus Christii and more, in my opinion they are great but they don't have support to go on and this is happening all over the world.

Please post your opinions and stories

Cheers!
14.10.2006 - 22:39
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Well, guess what, some people do.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
14.10.2006 - 22:57
Fucked Upstairs!
Account deleted
Don't take it too serious.
I know people do, lol.
But belive me. If the music, if the atmosphere would be the biggest reason, more people would listen to more other bands, you know? The Euro-Murder-Story is in my opinion 70% of why people listen to Burzum. End of Story
14.10.2006 - 23:14
Unholy_Emperor
Well, I assure you I listened to him for his music and atmosphera (which includes lyrics and message).

Black Metal for me is just that, an atmosphera that you can't find in any other music, I refer obviously to the so-called True Norvegian black Metal bands, Black Metal nowadays is just not the same.

Burzum Rules.
14.10.2006 - 23:21
Fucked Upstairs!
Account deleted
There are two black metal bands on earth I do like.

VON, reason why I like it: It's fast, it's poor & brutal.

Drudkh, reason why I like it: All I say is Autumn Aurora...
15.10.2006 - 01:03
Basso
Account deleted
Written by [user id=14220] on 14.10.2006 at 23:21

There are two black metal bands on earth I do like.

VON, reason why I like it: It's fast, it's poor & brutal.

I get your point mate, and I do agree that Burzum would ofc never be as famous as it got without the killing of Euronymous. That however mean nothing to me. I like the music of Burzum, especially Hvis Lyset Tar oss, wich is a rather unique album. I do realise that there is a fucking scary amount of Burzum clones nowadays, some really really good. But imo none of them is "better" than Burzum, this does ofc. all comes down to personal taste, and my taste obviously prefer Burzum's music over *insert random clone*.

With that said I can garantee you that I only listen to Burzum because I love the music, the lyrics and the atmosphere.

On a sidenote I would like to add that Autumn Aurora is a fucking masterpiece, and I agree to 100 %.
15.10.2006 - 01:05
AntaeusM
Elite

bad reason

Oh well, why I listen to black metal..because I enjoy it? A lot of the black metal bands sound mediocre to me(or it is just because I have listened too much to them haha), but there are a few bands that I really like. Not because of some deeper meaning or anything, I just enjoy them. I can give deeper explanations for seperate bands, but for black metal in general. I just enjoy that kind of music.

My music taste did involve in this genre. I used to be able to bear more bands than I do now. Maybe because black metal is a genre that is only fun for a few years. After that you are kinda forced to try other genres, since black metal just become boring. Trying the same thing over and over again does get annoying after a while.
15.10.2006 - 01:19
Basso
Account deleted
@ Blackgir:

Don't you find Autumn Aurora enjoyable at all?
15.10.2006 - 01:39
AntaeusM
Elite
Written by [user id=5394] on 15.10.2006 at 01:19

@ Blackgir:

not really. The album is atmospheric, but not in an impressive way. It is too repetitive, the songs are too similar. The album is fun for a month or so, but after that I got really bored with it. Drudkh aren't that great as so many people claim they are. Maybe it is just not my type of black metal.
15.10.2006 - 01:52
Fucked Upstairs!
Account deleted
@Blackgir. That's just the way I think, about any other black metal release I heard so far.
Though I must admit, I once heard a Demotape by Misanthropy, and it was, impressive.
15.10.2006 - 11:52
Basso
Account deleted
Written by AntaeusM on 15.10.2006 at 01:39

Written by [user id=5394] on 15.10.2006 at 01:19

@ Blackgir:

not really. The album is atmospheric, but not in an impressive way. It is too repetitive, the songs are too similar. The album is fun for a month or so, but after that I got really bored with it. Drudkh aren't that great as so many people claim they are. Maybe it is just not my type of black metal.

Sounds fair enough, everyone has their personal opinion. Cheers.
14.11.2006 - 21:57
Erosive Offals
Account deleted
I listen to black metal because it makes me want to sacrifice a goat to the wintermoon and then hide in the woods while screaming the lyrics to Funeral Fog... seriously.
14.11.2006 - 22:55
-tom-
Mr FancyPants

so you hate burzum but love burzum wannabe's?

WOOH
----
"This rudderless world is not shaped my metaphysical forces. It is not God who kills the children. Not fate that butchers them or destiny that feeds them to the dogs. It's us. Only us"

Read Watchmen.
15.11.2006 - 17:35
Damnated
Churchburner
Written by -tom- on 14.11.2006 at 22:55

so you hate burzum but love burzum wannabe's?

so you consider Drudkh a Burzum wanabe?
----
Blessed is he that murders Christ in himself and in his fellow men.

Written by TheBigRossowski on 10.02.2009 at 16:01

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
15.11.2006 - 18:05
-tom-
Mr FancyPants
i believe that was what i was suggesting, yes
----
"This rudderless world is not shaped my metaphysical forces. It is not God who kills the children. Not fate that butchers them or destiny that feeds them to the dogs. It's us. Only us"

Read Watchmen.
15.11.2006 - 18:07
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
doesn't really make sense, imo.

Drudkh and Burzum sound nothing alike.
----

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
15.11.2006 - 18:19
Damnated
Churchburner
Tommy tee could you expand this opinion of yours? because I fail to see how does drudkh want to sound like burzum. shure, both bands play atmospheric bm but does that mean that every band that plays this style of bm is a burzum wanabe now?
----
Blessed is he that murders Christ in himself and in his fellow men.

Written by TheBigRossowski on 10.02.2009 at 16:01

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
18.11.2006 - 13:43
Ulven i Manden
Account deleted
Nattens Madrigal was the first Black Metal album that I heard and Ulver was the first Black Metal band. Later, I also felt in love in sounds of Darkthrone, Burzum, Immortal and many more...
I love Black Metal, its magic, passion, feelings... I can not describe it exactly by using words... I can only say that For me, I can called something art (in this forum - Black Metal), if that was born in dark, misty, melancholic place by using REAL humans pasions and desires... not nessesary evil ones... But evil, dark aspects of human live, for me are in the best way to describes our nature! Why? Because light borns in the DARK!
05.01.2007 - 00:51
Gefahr
I don't know I just like it
----
METAL UP YOUR ASS!!!!!!
05.01.2007 - 03:57
spirit_inblack
harshhead
I listen to black metal because of the almost chilling atmosphere of some of the songs. Of course, I listen to well I'm falling asleep, and I can sure say, it does put you in a trance-like state.

Every so often you get a headbangable riff and some BM drummers have good styles, but mostly I listen for the atmosphere.

The lyrics are another reason why I listen to BM. Black Metal lyrics actually have meaning, which is something that some bands in other genres lack.

Overall, I'd have to say that Black Metal is my second favorite genre, next to death metal.
05.01.2007 - 07:29
Priest Of Hex
Account deleted
I listen to black metal because of the 'Black Circle'.
05.01.2007 - 16:44
stealthassassin
Account deleted
The first black metal band i ever heard was immortal, to be more especific At the heart of winter
06.01.2007 - 01:07
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by [user id=1082] on 05.01.2007 at 07:29

I listen to black metal because of the 'Black Circle'.

You mean Norvegian Black metal circle
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - "Speak English or Die"

I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
06.01.2007 - 08:04
Priest Of Hex
Account deleted
Quote:

Well yes. There was only one 'Black Circle'.
06.01.2007 - 20:53
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Quote:
Written by [user id=1082] on 06.01.2007 at 08:04

Well yes. There was only one 'Black Circle'.

I know but still why it makes you listen it
----

06.01.2007 - 20:59
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
And there is the French 'Black Circle', though it is not called that way.
----

06.01.2007 - 21:36
Basso
Account deleted
Written by Bad English on 06.01.2007 at 20:53

He was probably joking.
06.01.2007 - 21:39
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Lucas on 06.01.2007 at 20:59

les legions noire

In Argentina was soem circle too but only fiew bands IMO 5, but dont ask names, forgot
----

06.01.2007 - 21:51
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Written by Bad English on 06.01.2007 at 21:39

Written by Lucas on 06.01.2007 at 20:59

les legions noire

In Argentina was soem circle too but only fiew bands IMO 5, but dont ask names, forgot

Yeah, I know.
----

07.01.2007 - 04:15
HellRaiz0r
Account deleted
Written by [user id=5394] on 06.01.2007 at 21:36

Written by Bad English on 06.01.2007 at 20:53

He was probably joking.

He could only be joking cause it makes no sense lol, listen to black metal just cause black circle its cool? lol what a nonsense (but i dont ignore most people listen to black metal or other metal style just cause its cool and they think its fashion and they will be BAD cause of listening to it muahahuahauah... sad...)
07.01.2007 - 05:04
HellRaiz0r
Account deleted
agreed james, norsk arysk black metal its unique and sounds different somehow.
But there are great bands from other countrys of course =).