Posted by Stigmatized, 09.06.2006 - 18:52
Formed in 1992

Label-Roadrunner

Lineup-

Robb Flynn- Guitar/vocals
Phil Demmel- Guitar
Adam Duce- Bass
Dave McClain- Drums

Machine Head is a Groove/Thrash band from Oakland, California. The reason I put them in the Alternative Metal Forum is due to their various style changes. Their first album "Burn My Eyes", was a groove/thrash album released in 1994. Their next 3 albums are considered Nu-Metal/Mallcore. In 2004, they released "Through the Ashes of Empires", which was a return to their original groove/thrash sound. Lead singer and guitar player Robb Flynn has what seems to be an unresolved feud with Kerry King of Slayer. You can read the details here- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robb_Flynn

Let me know what you think of them and which albums you like. I myself only listen to Burn My Eyes and Through the Ashes of Empires, great albums...both.
21.10.2006 - 20:40
Baz Anderson
Staff
wow, ive not been in here yet..
i have known Machine Head for a long time but i havent shown much interest in them in a long time
the first album is rather good indeed, the second is good also - but then things went a bit downhill really didnt they..
their last album was quite impressive, or at least it was when i last heard it and that was years ago. i dont know what i would make of it now

looking forward to hearing what this new album is going to sound like anyway
31.01.2007 - 13:00
lenesu
Burn my eyes is their onlyth good album. Even more than that, it's a classical one.
03.02.2007 - 16:15
baldur
machine head is a fucking awesome band!!!!!!

their new album the blackening is pretty good not as good as through the ashes of empires but very close...

halo is a veery good song imo
14.02.2007 - 01:20
LethargyMan
I used to like this band alot... but my interest waned over the years. They're alright, but I sold the albums I owned. However, I will always assert that Supercharger was not a very bad album (... though lyrically it was pretty awful).
----
Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem.
By the sword we seek peace, but peace only under liberty.
15.02.2007 - 17:22
baldur
Written by Guest on 15.02.2007 at 05:16

Written by LethargyMan on 14.02.2007 at 01:20

I used to like this band alot... but my interest waned over the years. They're alright, but I sold the albums I owned. However, I will always assert that Supercharger was not a very bad album (... though lyrically it was pretty awful).

Same with me and like you got over them and sold all thier cd's. I should have kept Supercharger though cause unlike everyone else I loved that album cause I could relate so well to the lyrics in it especially White Knuckle Blackout, Kick You When Your Down, All In Your Head, Trephination and Deafening Silence. That album helped me alot when I was dealing with some very serious issues and problems in my life and it made me realize I am not the only one who suffers in the same way.

I will most likely buy The Blackening when it comes out to, what I have heard of it is killer eh here is the tracklisting for it and the cover art to:

March 27th 2007

Produced by Robert Flynn
Mixed by Colin Richardson

1 Clenching the Fists of Dissent 10:35
2 Beautiful Mourning 04:49
3 Aesthetics of Hate 06:34
4 Now I Lay Thee Down 05:34
5 Slanderous 05:17
6 Halo 09:03
7 Wolves 09:04
8 A Farewell to Arms 10:12

Total playing time 01:01:08

Cover art:
http://www.machinehead1.com/ms/cover.jpg

already listened to the firts track of the new album??? imo the best one
15.02.2007 - 21:15
Cut-Throat
machine head seem to go with whatever the trend is at the time! think about it!

Burn My Eyes & The More Things Change: Even though Burn My Eyes ss their best album i believe they where copying Pantera and goin with this 90's type of thrash that was at the time!

The Burning Red & Supercharger: now that nu-metal was in full force at this time machine head decided to copy it and head towards that trend instead. the riffs where very nu-metal and rob flynn even did a few raping in a few songs! there music was obviously aimed at fans of korn and such! they even got hair cuts with bleached hair and totaly baggy jeans!

Through The Ashes Of Empires and The Blackening : After Hanging about with trivium and other roadrunner bum mates the trend the now seems to be make sure your main influences are Metallica and Maiden and then claim to the press your the next big metal band to make it huge! i watched a sounds of the underground tour video on their website and i had to laugh! rob flynn was wearing a t shirt with the sleeves cut of to look like a vest and had the tight jeans for that "80's" metal looks and was playing the guitar with his legs totaly wide apart! this totaly reminded me of trivium! and as for the music there is more singing compare to the likes of burn my eyes and there is alot more "traditional" metal riffs and alot of leads and melody!

and i believe machine head would of stayed to their old skool style through out their whole career if only they had been on a record label that actually wants them to be who they are unlike roadrunner who just want to push all their bands to the sound that go with the trend at the time!
03.03.2007 - 13:04
kackbratze
Well, has someone of you heard The Blackening already? I gave it a short listen and I don't really like it... it's different and not spectacular at all. The production is weird, too... Burn My Eyes and TTAOE were cool, but well... other than that I am not really interested in MH (anymore)...
05.03.2007 - 22:44
Slottet av Take
Account deleted
Nah....I was the biggest MH fan long long looong ago at the start of my metal "career" lol when "Burn my Eyes" and "The More Things Change" ruled my world....then they spilled the beans with "The Burning Red", which I actually really liked for quite some time because at that time I suppose i went through a phase where i didnt care too much about heaviness. The real slump came with "Supercharger" and was where I gave up on my 7year love-affair with the band cozz i was ashamed to be associated with a band that can create such an abomination.

So whatever happened afterwards, the fortunate departure of Arue Luster and inclusion of Phil Demmel, I ddidnt really give 2 shits about them anymore as I wandered over to black/folk/viking/melodic death.....I still checked out their stuff, sort of the way I still check out In Flames eventho they pretty much went up in flames after "Clayman".

I was relatively impressed with TTAOE, mostly because it was nice to see them sort of going back to their heavier ways but by that time it was already YEARS since i listened or gave a crap about them so yeah. Last week I managewd to get hold of "The Blackening" and its kinda in the same heavy vein as TTAOE apart from a really gaping eyesore and nauseating couple of hardcore elements and breakdowns thrown into the mix - i was like "wtf is going on with you Robb" and yeah didnt pay much attention to really trying to get into it cozz to be honest....been there done that.
17.05.2007 - 10:18
__Az__
The new album, 'The Blackening' is by far the best thing Machine head have ever recorded, taken into account that I wasnt a fan of their older stuff, in comparison, this album is amazing....

Standout tracks = Aesthetics Of Hate + Slanderous.
18.05.2007 - 13:03
Milutin
Account deleted
I am just getting to know Machine Head and I must say that they are prety awesome. I listened to the latest album The Blackening and it really kicks ass. I hope that the other older albums are as good as this.
18.05.2007 - 13:13
__Az__
Written by Guest on 18.05.2007 at 13:03

I am just getting to know Machine Head and I must say that they are prety awesome. I listened to the latest album The Blackening and it really kicks ass. I hope that the other older albums are as good as this.

each to their own of course, But I really didnt like the previous albums half as much as I do 'The Blackening'. Then again, Its been a while since I heard them properly...
18.05.2007 - 13:39
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by __Az__ on 17.05.2007 at 10:18

The new album, 'The Blackening' is by far the best thing Machine head have ever recorded, taken into account that I wasnt a fan of their older stuff, in comparison, this album is amazing....

Standout tracks = Aesthetics Of Hate + Slanderous.

Okay, The Blackening is way better than their three previous albums but doesn't even come close to Burn My Eyes and is about the same as The More Things Change...
If Machine Head had stopped after Burn My Eyes they would have become a true legend but alas they tainted their own legacy after The More Things Change and have only started redeeming themselves slightly with The Blackening.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

11.07.2007 - 13:42
Mindheist
No Longer Human
France's Radio Metal has posted an audio interview with MACHINE HEAD guitarist Phil Demmel, conducted at this year's Hellfest, which took place late last month in Clisson, France. Listen to it at this location.
12.07.2007 - 01:16
Remus
I used to listen to Machine Head back in my nu-metal days but now i stopped. The other day i listened to "The Blackening" 'cause i read some good reviews that said they were thrash metal now. Well, i didn't like it(k, i only listened to it once), it's not THAT thrashy and i find they repeat the guitar-work quite a lot in the songs. I think Trivium have more "true" riffs on "The Crussade" - and that's sayng something!

Still, i think "Descend the Shades of Night" remains an excellent song.

P.S

Has someone listened to their cover of Metallica's "Battery"? Is it any good? I've been trying to get my grubby paws on it but that damn Shareza sucks!
----
Procrastinate, NOW!
17.09.2007 - 22:28
White Winter Sun
Laboratory's Rat
Elite
A 10-minute video interview with Robb Flynn conducted by VidDREAM during the band's spring 2007 tour with Heaven And Hell can be viewed at this location.
14.10.2007 - 02:13
Olli
Machine Head are pretty good, I've got "Burn My Eyes" and "The Blackening". Both are excellent albums. I'm gonna get another album by them soon.
A friend of mine went to see them live and he said they were incredible, so I really wanna see them now
----
When one door of happiness closes, another opens; but often we look so long at the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened for us."
14.10.2007 - 02:22
Templar_Knight
Account deleted
Great band, they also have great lyrics, what is often not the case with that sort of bands.
18.10.2007 - 12:11
White Winter Sun
Laboratory's Rat
Elite
A long version of "Now I Lay Thee Down" video clip is now available on the band's website at this location.
17.11.2007 - 17:13
IllNiñoSweden
Machine Head is very good band. And Machine head best album is the blackening.
17.11.2007 - 23:31
Smurfophagist
Machine Head is a very good band, when I first listened to it I could not recognize it's full value, but now I love the band. In my opinion, the best albums would be Burn My Eyes, The Blackening and Through The Ashes Of Empires
----
Having a signature is an absolute must.
18.11.2007 - 06:36
ThrashMetal_Rulz
Account deleted
Pretty good band, I really like their first album. The only thing that I don't really like about them is their vocals because I don't really like clean vocals in Thrash, but i figure it's only a matter of time untill the vocals grow on me.
12.12.2007 - 14:28
IllNiñoSweden
Machine Head was best on The Black Crusade in Stockholm!!!
12.12.2007 - 23:38
Written by Cut-Throat on 15.02.2007 at 21:15

machine head seem to go with whatever the trend is at the time! think about it!

Burn My Eyes & The More Things Change: Even though Burn My Eyes ss their best album i believe they where copying Pantera and goin with this 90's type of thrash that was at the time!

The Burning Red & Supercharger: now that nu-metal was in full force at this time machine head decided to copy it and head towards that trend instead. the riffs where very nu-metal and rob flynn even did a few raping in a few songs! there music was obviously aimed at fans of korn and such! they even got hair cuts with bleached hair and totaly baggy jeans!

Through The Ashes Of Empires and The Blackening : After Hanging about with trivium and other roadrunner bum mates the trend the now seems to be make sure your main influences are Metallica and Maiden and then claim to the press your the next big metal band to make it huge! i watched a sounds of the underground tour video on their website and i had to laugh! rob flynn was wearing a t shirt with the sleeves cut of to look like a vest and had the tight jeans for that "80's" metal looks and was playing the guitar with his legs totaly wide apart! this totaly reminded me of trivium! and as for the music there is more singing compare to the likes of burn my eyes and there is alot more "traditional" metal riffs and alot of leads and melody!

and i believe machine head would of stayed to their old skool style through out their whole career if only they had been on a record label that actually wants them to be who they are unlike roadrunner who just want to push all their bands to the sound that go with the trend at the time!

Fuck man is totally true!!
I love MH's burn my eyes and the more things change and the new ones but ...coinsidentially or not the facts hapenned exactly you related.
13.12.2007 - 02:58
mankvill
Aesthetics of Hate is up for an American Grammy, along with Slayer and King Diamond! Also: 2 crappy bands, Shadows Fall and As I Lay Dying.
13.12.2007 - 21:45
Smurfophagist
Written by mankvill on 13.12.2007 at 02:58

Aesthetics of Hate is up for an American Grammy, along with Slayer and King Diamond! Also: 2 crappy bands, Shadows Fall and As I Lay Dying.

The fact that they're up for a Grammy means nothing to me. For example, Slayer's 'Eyes Of The Insane' won a grammy too (if I'm not mistaken) and that song is kinda' crappy. And there's a greater chance that one of these crappy bands is going to win a grammy.
But don't get me wrong, 'Aesthetics Of Hate' is my favorite Machine Head song.
----
Having a signature is an absolute must.
07.01.2008 - 18:45
IllNiñoSweden
Written by Olli on 14.10.2007 at 02:13

Machine Head are pretty good, I've got "Burn My Eyes" and "The Blackening". Both are excellent albums. I'm gonna get another album by them soon.
A friend of mine went to see them live and he said they were incredible, so I really wanna see them now

I have too "Burn My Eyes" and "The Blackening". But they are not only excellent albums! they are amazing albums! And Machine Head is a amazing band.
09.01.2008 - 22:27
Purple.Penguin
Account deleted
I've only recently got into Machine Head but i love them.
They're so amazing.
The Blackening is an AMAZING album, the songs on it are legendary!!

I was seriously gutted when i missed them on The Black Crusade tour.
12.01.2008 - 14:24
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
I'm gona get their "The blackening" album since its being so praised and especially by people that enjoyed "Burn my eyes" like I did. Actually "burn my eyes" is the only album I have from them.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
08.06.2008 - 23:55
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
Watch this guys: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5MLY1mzNuE

Machine Head playing Hallowed be thy name in Lisbon. Great.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
16.06.2008 - 01:10
TheVonBraun
Account deleted
Yeah great band- I love their unique sound and think "groove thrash" is a good description; although they occasionally have some industrial elements.

Fav albums: everything except "Burning Red." Sorry. lol