Metal Storm logo
High On Fire

10.06.2006 - 20:52
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
High on Fire was born after the unfortunate break-up of the legendary Sleep. While Al Cisneros and Chris Hakius went on to form the Stoner/Doom band Om, Matt Pike went on to form the fury that is High on Fire. Make no mistake, I made this topic in the Extreme Metal Forum for a reason, because above all else, that is what they are; extreme. I have read a description of the band as "a modern day incarnate of Dante's Inferno" and I think that is rightfully so. The music the band creates is so brutal it's amazing. At times this band is heavier, faster, and more devastating than most Death and Thrash acts that I have heard. I think it would be safe to say that High on Fire is in a league of their own, and have almost created an exclusive genre for themselves. I don't even want to try and label them, because it seems like it would be an attempt to contain them, and by listening to their music, that's not possible. If anything though, they are some type of Extreme Doom Metal. I am much more familiar with 'Blessed Black Wings' than I am their first two albums, but I really enjoy everything I have had the chance to hear from this band.

Any fans?

(By the way, I love how Matt Pike sounds like an even more extreme version of Lemmy when he wails. Wicked shit. )
----
The force will be with you, always.
10.06.2006 - 22:17
Darth Satanious
Post Destroyer
Are there any fans? Of course there are! In fact, I created a thread for them previously. I own two of their albums: "Surrounded by Thieves" and "Blessed Black Wings" (which came with a bonus DVD). I don't have their debut full-length yet just because it hasn't crossed my path yet. They are indeed hard to put in a single label; you can even say that there is Stoner Metal in them. Their vocalist, Matt Pike, assures that the band has several influences, including Beethoven among them; it would be great if he could explain it better though lol (outside of the fact that all music of these days is influenced by him). They are one of a kind for sure. If you want some hints from their albums I would mention: "Speedwolf", "Razor Hoof" and "Devilution". By the way, if anyone can provide a link for download (I meant download not just to watch it) for the video of the song "Devilution" I will be eternally grateful.
----
Christless
16.11.2006 - 09:03
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
holy crap, why did no one tell me that there was a high on fire thread.
I bought the album 'blessed black wings' and I really enjoyed it. It almost sounds Motorhead-esque in a way (early motorhead) just the raw charging power that cuts through the crap, really good band.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
18.03.2007 - 00:16
hanna of steel
Poison Girl
I've just discovered this band through a friend .

I've got two albums "The Art of Self Defense" and "Blessed Black Wings"

As C-Dub says it is hard to put them in any one genre.
A very powerful band.
----
Hell is other people - Jean-Paul Sartre
26.09.2007 - 08:48
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
"death is this communions" is a great album. i've only given it about five spins since picking it up last week, but find myself liking it a little more each time through. i dig the dirty intensity of the band.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
26.09.2007 - 20:52
Damnated
Churchburner
i haven't listened to their latest album, but until now i enjoyed this band. not as much as Om, though. Om is way better imo.
----
Blessed is he that murders Christ in himself and in his fellow men.

Written by TheBigRossowski on 10.02.2009 at 16:01

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
04.12.2007 - 10:08
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
I just got "Death Is This Communion"....holy mother of god this is amazing! its played through about 4 times since i got it and it isnt stopping soon, theyve incorperated so many different styles in this one and lumped into one raw heavy charging album. Definitly the best Ive heard from them, and is up there in my favorite albums this year, which is a good thing considering alot of albums that were released this year I enjoyed.

Btw- The cover art (for the new album) is probably my favorite cover art out of my entire collection.
----
- George Carlin
07.12.2007 - 16:31
High on fire is like a tank that cames to you with a 100mph to crash your body! All the albums of this banb is fuckig great but my favourite is surrounded by thieves! Today is their concert in athens and i have allready the ticket for the battlefield! I'll bang my head once more for everyone of you that wish to be in their concert today!!! HAIL TO YOU METAL BROTHERS!!! METAL RULEZ!
07.12.2007 - 16:39
Sleep In Sorrow
Ghost Of The Sun
I heard a few songs off of "Surrounded by Thieves", but didn't like it very much. What I heard of "Blessed Black Wings" was better, imo. Devilution is one hell of a song! (there's a video of it on YouTube, btw).
I've heard good things about their last album, think I should give it a shot.
----
"It's not funny, my ass is on fire..."
07.12.2007 - 23:09
mankvill
This band is coming in town. I've only heard a little bit, but I like it. Should I go?
07.12.2007 - 23:30
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Written by mankvill on 07.12.2007 at 23:09

This band is coming in town. I've only heard a little bit, but I like it. Should I go?

if you like what you've heard, and you have the coin, yes.
----

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
08.12.2007 - 00:21
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by mankvill on 07.12.2007 at 23:09

I definitly would, but thats coming from a guy whos already into there stuff. There extremely heavy on disc, I cant imagine how nuts theyd be live.
----
- George Carlin
08.12.2007 - 01:56
mankvill
I think I might go. It seems it'd be a good concert.
19.12.2007 - 08:23
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
My review for 'Death Is This Communion' just got posted.
----
- George Carlin
19.12.2007 - 09:11
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
Written by Doc G. on 19.12.2007 at 08:23

I haven't heard the album yet, but I read your review and am very interested in what you mean by "folk" within it and relating to the band and the new album.
----
19.12.2007 - 09:14
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by Clintagräm on 19.12.2007 at 09:11

I haven't heard the album yet, but I read your review and am very interested in what you mean by "folk" within it and relating to the band and the new album.

Like I said, its not prominent, but intro to songs like 'Waste Of Tiamat' has what sounds like a mandolin or sitar or something (maybe just guitar effects?) and the instrumental 'Dii' which has keys in the backround. Dont expect a folk metal album. Except the song 'Khanrads Wall', its straight up folk.
----
- George Carlin
19.12.2007 - 09:20
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
Written by Doc G. on 19.12.2007 at 09:14

Like I said, its not prominent, but intro to songs like 'Waste Of Tiamat' has what sounds like a mandolin or sitar or something (maybe just guitar effects?) and the instrumental 'Dii' which has keys in the backround. Dont expect a folk metal album. Except the song 'Khanrads Wall', its straight up folk.

Very interesting. This is something I'll have to try and check out.
----
19.12.2007 - 09:22
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by Clintagräm on 19.12.2007 at 09:20

Written by Doc G. on 19.12.2007 at 09:14

Very interesting. This is something I'll have to try and check out.

Its definitely one of my best purchases this year, especially since it was only 14.99 here (which is cheap considering most good metal cds cost between $25-$32 here.), How can you go wrong?
----
- George Carlin
20.12.2007 - 00:31
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
yeah, the 'folk-y' bit is subtle and works within the context of the music.

good review, great album.
----

23.12.2007 - 08:19
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by BitterCOld on 20.12.2007 at 00:31

yeah, the 'folk-y' bit is subtle and works within the context of the music.

good review, great album.

Thanks! it means a lot coming from one of the most cynical people on MS (meant in the most positive way ), Yeah I'm actually really proud of how that review turned out.
----
- George Carlin
16.01.2008 - 07:33
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
So I found out Gigantour 2008 is coming to my city, Im finding myself more excited about seeing HoF than any other band on the bill, I hate JFAC and In Flames, Ive already seen Megadeth and CoB dont interest me as much as they once did. And I figure the chances of seeing these guys again is going to be slimmer.
----
- George Carlin
16.01.2008 - 20:43
Lord TJ
I remember checking out the samples at a music store of "Death Is This Communication", it sounded ok but I don't know how the rest of the song is, because at that music store the samples tend to hide out the best parts sometimes.
----
Visit the "Black Metal Page" on facebook, my page delivers everything black metal - Memes - Music - Humor - Interviews - Discussion.

https://www.facebook.com/TheBMPage
16.01.2008 - 21:24
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Written by Lord TJ on 16.01.2008 at 20:43

I remember checking out the samples at a music store of "Death Is This Communication", it sounded ok but I don't know how the rest of the song is, because at that music store the samples tend to hide out the best parts sometimes.

The album made my 2007 "Top 10" list, so consider it endorsed by me.

Turns out they are coming to my neck of the woods this week, playing at an rather unexpected small lounge venue... not on the list of bars i would expect to host a metal gig. cannot wait to see them.
----

18.01.2008 - 06:52
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by BitterCOld on 16.01.2008 at 21:24

Written by Lord TJ on 16.01.2008 at 20:43

The album made my 2007 "Top 10" list, so consider it endorsed by me.

Turns out they are coming to my neck of the woods this week, playing at an rather unexpected small lounge venue... not on the list of bars i would expect to host a metal gig. cannot wait to see them.

Its at #2 for me. And bands playing at small clubs/bars is sweet, the chances of actually getting to sit and have a beer and shoot the shit with the artists are greatly increased, im actually pretty jealous, though I will get to see them in may with Gigantour.
----
- George Carlin
21.01.2008 - 10:57
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
just saw them in Tucson. stood close enough to the stage to have to risk getting brained by the stock/head of Matt Pike's 10 string during his stage antics.

great view for the gig, but the downside is I am now half-deaf in my right ear.

hopefully should have a review hammered out and posted in the next couple days.

(and if the crowd surfing/stage hopping photog who was there happens to visit this thread for some reason, please PM me!)
----

21.01.2008 - 23:19
mankvill
Written by BitterCOld on 21.01.2008 at 10:57

just saw them in Tucson. stood close enough to the stage to have to risk getting brained by the stock/head of Matt Pike's 10 string during his stage antics.

great view for the gig, but the downside is I am now half-deaf in my right ear.

hopefully should have a review hammered out and posted in the next couple days.

(and if the crowd surfing/stage hopping photog who was there happens to visit this thread for some reason, please PM me!)

Do you have a setlist?
21.01.2008 - 23:29
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
sadly, no. someone else beat me to grabbing it.

they played, that i recall, "Rumors of War", "Zion", "Blessed Black Wings", "Hessian", "Death is this Communion", "Razor Hoof", "Waste of Tiamat", "Fury Whip" and ended with "Devilution."

i might be missing a track or two from that list.
----

17.03.2008 - 10:23
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Just got 'Surrounded By Thieves' today. So, so far my favorite HoF albums in order would go like this:
Death Is This Communion
Surrounded By Thieves
Blessed Black Wings

For some reason, I see a bigger connection between "Surrounded By Thieves" and "Death Is This Communion" than I do between "Blessed Black Wings" and "Death Is This Communion", am I the only one that notices this?

And whoa! I just noticed something totally kick ass! "Blessed Black Wings" starts on the exact same drum solo "Surrounded By Thieves" ends on....fade-out....fade-in.
----
- George Carlin
17.03.2008 - 19:00
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
I can see the connection from "SBT" to "Death" with "BBW" being a slight step to the side.

hadn't noticed the drum solo bit - i've never listened to the two albums in a linear/chronological back to back setting before. that's pretty cool!
----

17.03.2008 - 22:35
mankvill
"Rumors of War" is fantastic live.