Metal Storm logo
Industrial/EBM/Electro/Noize

Original post

Posted by Account deleted, 26.01.2008 - 04:39
Heyy. Msers, who here is into Techno/Industrial music? To me normal techno is too pop-like, but the Gothic version ov techno is the way electro dance music is supposed to sound . I love it!

Mortiis had a good release, but even deeper into the scene, i like Terrorfakt, Tactical Sekt, Grendel and God Module has some good track too.

who else likes Techno/Industrial?
02.01.2012 - 21:14
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by jupitreas on 02.01.2012 at 13:44

Oh I knew you have, since you reviewed one of their albums here a few years ago. (That's how I cam across the band and suggested it to Joe.)
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
02.01.2012 - 21:16
jupitreas
hi-fi / lo-life
Staff
Written by Troy Killjoy on 02.01.2012 at 21:14

Oh I knew you have, since you reviewed one of their albums here a few years ago. (That's how I cam across the band and suggested it to Joe.)

Oh, no, all I meant was to say that this is IMO his coolest song.
02.01.2012 - 21:20
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by jupitreas on 02.01.2012 at 21:16

Ah, fair enough. I only listened to 2 songs on YouTube... didn't really enjoy them, but that's definitely not a matter of objectivity. I just can't seem to get into industrial.

Rammstein and Fear Factory are the closest I've ever been able to get.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
02.01.2012 - 21:33
jupitreas
hi-fi / lo-life
Staff
Written by Troy Killjoy on 02.01.2012 at 21:20

Written by jupitreas on 02.01.2012 at 21:16

Ah, fair enough. I only listened to 2 songs on YouTube... didn't really enjoy them, but that's definitely not a matter of objectivity. I just can't seem to get into industrial.

Rammstein and Fear Factory are the closest I've ever been able to get.

hmm perhaps I might have some interesting suggestions for you.
what is it that you'd be interested in hearing, if you can describe it? what quality do you usually find appealing in music?
02.01.2012 - 21:35
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by jupitreas on 02.01.2012 at 21:33
what quality do you usually find appealing in music?

Atmosphere, depressive mood (if possible)...

Bonuses include suicidal, occult, or Pagan themes.

(Hence the love for black metal.)
----
02.01.2012 - 22:07
jupitreas
hi-fi / lo-life
Staff
Written by Troy Killjoy on 02.01.2012 at 21:35

The most obvious recommendation that immediately springs to mind is (old) Skinny Puppy.

Albums worth checking out are VIVISectVI, Rabies, Too Dark Park and Last Rights. All immensely depressive, dark stuff. Some of the best at it, actually, IMO.
I'll continue thinking and add some more recommendations later.
05.01.2012 - 23:44
Promonex
Cathemeral
Elite
Written by Troy Killjoy on 02.01.2012 at 21:35

To me this sounds more like martial industrial. It's closer to dark ambient, neoclassical and neofolk than to industrial and for that matter probably doesn't belong in this thread, but anyway, give it a shot. And avoid the goose-steppers. There's an awful lot of those in this subgenre.

----
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu... This is the truth! This is my belief! ...At least for now.
- The Mystery of Life, Vol. 841 Ch. 26
05.01.2012 - 23:53
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Promonex on 05.01.2012 at 23:44
Cold Fusion song

WAY better than the other video you linked to. The first one felt a little too cheesy for me, but this one is seriously good stuff.

Mind name-dropping a few similar artists?
----
06.01.2012 - 00:59
Promonex
Cathemeral
Elite
Written by Troy Killjoy on 05.01.2012 at 23:53

Written by Promonex on 05.01.2012 at 23:44
Cold Fusion song

WAY better than the other video you linked to. The first one felt a little too cheesy for me, but this one is seriously good stuff.

Mind name-dropping a few similar artists?

What other video? o.O

And I have to admit, I'm far from familiar with martial industrial, but your request just sounded a lot like it. I know only a handful of bands and I'm hesitant to promote most of them. Too many bands out there that celebrate warfaring and nationalist sentiments and too few bands that deal with the hopelessness and despair of war. I'm not even sure if Cold Fusion are clean. Should have thought of Marco Kehren's Nihil Novi Sub Sole earlier. Other than that I prefer bands on the apocalyptic/neofolk and industrial sides over those on the military middleground. Apocalyptic folk artist Rome is highly recommendable and often associated with the martial industrial tag. And I believe Storm of Capricorn are safe. On the industrial side Laibach seem to have been quite seminal for martial industrial, but I'm sure jupitreas will be able to tell you far more about them than I am.
----
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu... This is the truth! This is my belief! ...At least for now.
06.01.2012 - 01:02
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Promonex on 06.01.2012 at 00:59
What other video? o.O

Uh... I may or may not have thought you were jup suggesting another song.

I'll take those bands into mind and ask both jup and Joe if they can elaborate on that as a foundation.
----
06.01.2012 - 01:10
Promonex
Cathemeral
Elite
Please do so and tell me about your findings. And perhaps you might want to revive this thread and/or this thread?
----
06.01.2012 - 02:56
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Troy Killjoy on 06.01.2012 at 01:02

Written by Promonex on 06.01.2012 at 00:59
What other video? o.O

Uh... I may or may not have thought you were jup suggesting another song.

I'll take those bands into mind and ask both jup and Joe if they can elaborate on that as a foundation.

Some quick scouring of Last.fm crossing with Youtube (see: wildly stabbing in the dark):

To me these all seem like interesting variations of dark ambient and what have you with nationalistic speeches and martial drumming. I might have a good old rummage of this kind of thing as it's quite enjoyable.
06.01.2012 - 03:11
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Guest on 06.01.2012 at 02:56

Will be checking that post out later for sure. Kudos for the help - even if only a shot in the dark.
----
06.01.2012 - 03:12
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Troy Killjoy on 06.01.2012 at 03:11

Will be checking that post out later for sure. Kudos for the help - even if only a shot in the dark.

Coolios, well if you find one decent band out of that lot then it was worth it!
06.01.2012 - 09:56
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Guest on 06.01.2012 at 02:56
To me these all seem like interesting variations of dark ambient and what have you with nationalistic speeches and martial drumming. I might have a good old rummage of this kind of thing as it's quite enjoyable.

First four tracks were fucking awesome. Then the two long ones felt incredibly tedious, and the last two just felt flat.

But I'll definitely spend time getting familiar with more bands in this style. RYM and last.fm will hopefully be able to help out with that. Across the Rubicon and Spreu & Weizen had a great "epic" feel to them, similar at times to some interlude-ish background music during some adventure/RPG. Something much darker than Final Fantasy but not necessarily as oriental-themed as God of War.

This is nothing like what I was looking for but I'm actually more satisfied with having you suggest this genre than with what I was asking for previously. To be honest I might cut out a lot of metal this year to focus on this stuff. Very interesting, incredibly atmospheric, dark... fuck it, this might be even more metal than most of the metal I listen to.
----
07.01.2012 - 05:23
jupitreas
hi-fi / lo-life
Staff
Unfortunately I generally hate most martial industrial things... They tend to be boring and the military/fascist imagery is so old by now. Not to mention how many of these bands are NS.
07.01.2012 - 05:53
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
I imagine I'll stumble across more than enough boring outfits (much like you would with any genre) but I still like some of the songs Joe posted, enough to delve into the scene more. I don't mind the imagery either... which is probably a result of being a black metal fan. The traditional corpsepaint-wearing church-burning bands and depressive bands with all the self-mutilation and whatnot... I suppose it's hard for me to grow tired of something where image is concerned.

And I enjoy a lot of NSBM because of the sound. The lyrical content doesn't bother me so I don't take offense to martial industrial's strong NS imagery.
----
07.01.2012 - 16:03
Vombatus
Potorro
Nightsatan do some kind of nice "laser metal" (part starting around 3 min is very cool):

14.01.2012 - 18:22
Slayer666
Written by jupitreas on 02.01.2012 at 22:07

Worlock

Hell yeah, my favorite SP track. It's catchy and sexy enough to be played at a strip joint, while remaining shattering and desperate when the chorus kicks in, specially during the last minute or so. Too bad the rest of Rabies is the only SP album I consider downright boring.
29.01.2012 - 14:14
Slayer666
Been blasting a lot of this shizz lately (apparently, good ol' Mexico has some nice music to offer):

15.02.2012 - 22:29
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Slayer666 on 29.01.2012 at 14:14

Been blasting a lot of this shizz lately (apparently, good ol' Mexico has some nice music to offer):

Hocico are nice but I generally prefer one of the member's side project called Dulce Liquido:

16.02.2012 - 21:22
Slayer666
Written by Guest on 15.02.2012 at 22:29

Hocico are nice but I generally prefer one of the member's side project called Dulce Liquido:

Yeah, I know about this project as well. It's funny what you can dig up whilst randomly browsing music vids on YouTube, provided you don't stumble (by some ungodly way) into vids like "BIGGEST ZIT ON THE PLANET OMG!!!".

On a side note, I'm only just now beginning to truly appreciate Skinny Puppy. I mean, I've liked them a lot for quite a while, but I started seeing them in a much brighter light only recently, specially the slower songs.
09.03.2012 - 05:06
Edmund Fogg
Great Dark ambient noise music. Don't know if it's the right place to post it thought

----
You cannot sedate all the things you hate - MM
The Observer is the source of reality - Bloom
God damn it!! What did Diddy didn't do? - Satan
24.03.2012 - 18:50
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
New Mind.In.A.Box album out. Joyous times.

On Spotify. Listening to it now.
25.03.2012 - 19:41
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Guest on 24.03.2012 at 18:50

Their song "change" totally ruined anything else I've heard from them, dammit.
I just can't get an erection out of their music unless they are using those high-pitch, female-like voices (yeah they aren't female, but you know which ones I'm talking about).

So yeah... The track was nice... but I started to love it only at 4:37.

EDIT: Just realised that it's a teaser and not a song, lolz.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
05.05.2012 - 02:04
Vombatus
Potorro
I've just came upon this badass electro music instrument called Reactable.It was developed a couple of years ago in Barcelona.
Here's a vid that shows well how it works:

It's pretty fucking interesting (independently of music being bad or not), the concept just opens a whole new dimension...
06.05.2012 - 15:44
Promonex
Cathemeral
Elite
Written by Vombatus on 05.05.2012 at 02:04

It's pretty fucking interesting (independently of music being bad or not), the concept just opens a whole new dimension...

The concept is interesting, but I don't think it adds anything at all to the composing process. It's just a matter of handling, instead of moving bars on a screen, you move cubes on a plate. It does however add a tangible and visible aspect, and therefore this would give live performances a boost.
----
06.05.2012 - 20:28
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Contributor
Written by Edmund Fogg on 09.03.2012 at 05:06

Great Dark ambient noise music. Don't know if it's the right place to post it thought

Hmmm, I find this boring...give me another rec Ed
----
rekt
06.05.2012 - 21:31
Olli
Written by Guest on 24.03.2012 at 18:50

On Spotify. Listening to it now.

Great band

Also If anyone on here likes the EBM / Electro side of Industrial check out the new Grendel album Timewave: Zero. I may be a bit biased as they're one of my favorite bands but I'm loving this album

Edit: here's a vid for anyone intrested, not the best video tbh but a nice song http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-V-xqf3LGs
----
When one door of happiness closes, another opens; but often we look so long at the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened for us."
06.05.2012 - 22:08
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Olli on 06.05.2012 at 21:31

Also If anyone on here likes the EBM / Electro side of Industrial check out the new Grendel album Timewave: Zero. I may be a bit biased as they're one of my favorite bands but I'm loving this album

Grendel are a great band. I've been wondering when this would be released. Cheers for the heads up.

I see it's on Spotify too. Good times.