Metal Storm logo
Heard any good albums from 2008 so far?

Original post

Posted by Damnated, 25.02.2008 - 09:33
Already 2 months have passed and a lot of albums were released. Question is, have you heard anything good?

i have only 10-12 albums from this year, and i can't say i'm overwhelmed. The new Mars Volta was pretty dull and i was bored by the new Ayreon as well. The new Averse Sefira and new Nåstrond both turned out to be mediocre, but the new Behexen was surprisingly good. The new Celestia is also a good record. Didn't have the time or the mood to listen to the new Nortt but i'll get around it soon.

discuss.
23.09.2008 - 02:03
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Guest on 23.09.2008 at 01:57

Animus Mortis - Atrabilis (Residues From Verb & Flesh)

Awesome new black metal album from my homeland. Great songwriting, great production which makes it sound rotten as hell... good shot to listen loud in a dark room with a beer at hand.

Got a link to their myspace site & website?
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

23.09.2008 - 02:24
Southern Wind
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 23.09.2008 at 02:03

Written by Guest on 23.09.2008 at 01:57

Animus Mortis - Atrabilis (Residues From Verb & Flesh)

Awesome new black metal album from my homeland. Great songwriting, great production which makes it sound rotten as hell... good shot to listen loud in a dark room with a beer at hand.

Got a link to their myspace site & website?

http://www.myspace.com/animusmortis

here you have, you lazy ass
23.09.2008 - 02:36
totaliteraliter
Arghoslent isn't a band I would consider too similar to melodic death metal, they draw more from traditional metal than anything European I'd say. The Arghoslent/GBK style is much more riff based.

Written by Dangerboner on 23.09.2008 at 00:39

Written by totaliteraliter on 09.09.2008 at 20:48

3 Arghoslent - Hornets Of The Pogrom
What's it like? I'm assuming it doesn't sound much different from Incorrigible Bigotry...

The vocals and production have been slightly tweaked making it a bit less "dry" sounding to my ears, the riffing is a bit punchier and I think it averages a slightly higher tempo. But overall it's the logical follow-up to IB.
25.09.2008 - 02:59
Hamird
Lieutenant
Inflikted by Cavalera Conspiracy... I liked it when I see Igor and Max reunited again, and this time with Marc Rizzo who I think he is much more talented than Andreas Kisser (He was talented too (in late 80's and early 90's)).. So this record is the best one for me so far..
26.09.2008 - 04:16
BurbotsRevenge
Foetal Butchery
just uploaded a video of greatest death metal albums of the year so far...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlsYYWVPVAs

some really good albums in there

just been absolutely loving Krisiun's new album though... sooo good! Slaying Steel!!
----
Dark death metal from Sydney: https://www.facebook.com/GolgothanRemains
27.09.2008 - 16:21
VELVET (O)
Account deleted
New 'Withering' EP has leaked. Not sure I like it as much as 'Gospel Of Madness' but still pretty good for some melancholic melodic death.
19.10.2008 - 13:53
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
New Lustmord [OTHER] is downloading! Very much looking forward to this. Pretty much the best Dark Ambient you can get and pretty much assured to be a top album of 08.
20.10.2008 - 15:56
keyser_soze
My favourite albums of the year so far are (in no particular order):

Cult of Luna - Eternal Kingdom
Opeth - Watershed
Amon Amarth - Twilight of the Thunder God
Cynic - Traced in Air
Gojira - The Way of All Flesh
Ihsahn - Angl
meshuggah - obzen
nine inch nails - ghosts I-IV

Can anyone make any recommendations to me based on the bands i've listed?
I'm pretty new to metal in general to be honest.
20.10.2008 - 16:55
Valaskjalf
Account deleted
A couple, most of them unexpected - mostly the ones I hoped for turned out pretty lame....

heres a few good ones:

Falconer - Amongst Beggars & Thieves
Opeth - Watershed (no surprises there)
Equilibrium - Sagas
Cor Scorpii - Monument
Enslaved - Vertebrae
Meshuggah - Obzen
Kiuas - New Dark Age
Mercenary - Architect of Lies
Miseration - Your Demons - Their Angels
Ihsahn - angL

Shit list (or BIG disappointment rather):

Keep of Kalessin - Kolossus
Tyr - Land
Scar Symmetry - Holographic Universe
...theres more but they excape me at this second
20.10.2008 - 17:42
Gigginova
Account deleted
The cover album what HammerFall did is fantastic , I own it.

I want to get the new StormWarrior album so badly!
20.10.2008 - 19:17
GT
Coffee!!
Staff
Good albums from 2008 would be

Pyramaze - Immortal
Falconer - Among Beggars & Thieves

Both excellent power metal albums.
----

Dreams are made so we don't get bored when we sleep
21.10.2008 - 04:23
Dark Blood
The Avenger
I think this year's been good so far. Just to name a few, now I'm enjoying:
Communic - Payment of Existence
Kataklysm - Prevail
Moonspell - Night Eternal
Testament - Formation of the Damnation
----
It is humanity who must pay homage to the greatness of the Universe... not the Universe to the human narcissism.
22.10.2008 - 11:09
aven_d
Here are some great new albums from this year I've been listened to...
Witch - Paralyzed
Saviours - Into Abbadon
Mouth of the Architect - Quietly
Melvins - Nude with Boots
Meshuggah - obZen
Harvey Milk - Life.. The Best Game In Town
Grails - Doomsdayer's Holiday
Earth - The Bees Made Honey In The Lion's Skull
Dystopia - Dystopia
Coffins - Buried Death
Capricorns - River, Bear Your Bones
Amenra - Mass IV
----
Think for yourself, question authority. :dfire:
22.10.2008 - 15:29
Taktsekte
Your Ad Here!
Reincarnation by Galneryus is a very decent Power Metal release in my book. They have more than decent harmonies, their vocalist suits the style quite well, and they divert from nowadays Power Metal bands (e.g. Evergrey's new album was HORRIBLE in that context in my opinion) in that they still feel the need of an instrumental part in each song, instead of repeating choruses over and over (which they do, however, in some songs such as Wind of Change). The main problem is that these guys must take some serious English lessons - I bet their Japanese lyrics are amazing (Owari Naki, Konoshi and Shining Moments are good, and Stardust's chorus is beyond catchy), but as far as their English lyrics are concerned, you cannot just take an English-Japanese dictionary and hope these sentences will make sense. I'll leave this up to you so you can judge yourselves:

"Walk on the road to madness of fanatics / Take the lust for your life / Unify your mind / It's the period of meditation..."
"Time after time, you will see the nightmare / Rush is the last means left by you..."
"Do you know a sad fact of a victim? / Their life is wasted for our life / How is this comfortable system?..."
"The weight brought regret to us / When I saw the fact (...) The crowd of people are walking the road holding their brothers / Dearest people already lost their temperature"
"From the sea, I just feel the dirty lump / Nobody can prevent the pollution / Potential hatred will choke me to death / This relation is spoiled by this fact..."
"Rain falls down / But my dishonor isn't wiped out / All I need is miracle..."
22.10.2008 - 22:38
Alfurion
Account deleted
Written by Dark Blood on 21.10.2008 at 04:23

I think this year's been good so far. Just to name a few, now I'm enjoying:
Testament - Formation of the Damnation

Fuck yeah!
26.10.2008 - 09:54
annodomini
Catamenia - VIII - The Time Unchained

Well i was waiting for this so much, and so many hopes puted in it...
And after first listenings...Its nnot bad album, but i think now its time to say about Catamenia: Its the Begining of the End.
Few songs are with lots of Core influences, nothing special, while the clean vocal this time is not really in its place. The are no more keybords... WTF Catamenia without keybords is not Catamenia.
"Fallen" > WTF is that? Ill better listen to Korn than this one.
But all in all despite some bad songs, there a really good Catamenian compositions, and the album is good, but far from the best time of Catamenia. Location:Cold were mutch better.
----
the riddle wants to be...
28.10.2008 - 07:58
RockeRoy
Gojira - The Way of All Flesh
Textures - Silhouettes
Opeth - Watershed
Bloodbath - The fathomless mastery
Meshuggah - Obzen
Soulfly - Conquer

Is in my opinion the best so far!
----
You found god? If nobody claims him in thirty days, he's yours

Walk with me in hell
28.10.2008 - 20:33
LebRuins
Account deleted
Edited After Damnated's post:

The best Releases this year are in order:

Amon Amarth - Twilight of the thunder god

To put it simply the melody and lyrics are epic, and amon amarth is my favorite band so I listen to this album the most XD

Gojira- the way of all flesh

One of my favorites album of all time, I only discovered Gojira this year there ecological aimed lyrics and unique melody made me fall in love with the band with my favorite tune in the album 'Wolf down the earth'

Testament- The Formation of Damnation

Best Thrash metal release of the year so far, nothing special to say just a great release by a great band and a very enjoyable album for all thrash fans

Opeth-Watershed

For me it is progressive metal performed at a very high level, Porcelain heart is a Beautiful song by the swedish band that pushed me to get the album and experience progressive metal at its best level.

Eluveitie-Slania

My Favorite Folk metal release of the year and I personally like this band more than all the other folk metal bands because they mix folk with melodic death metal so it is a very enjoyable and special album like their previous album

Kalmah - For the revolution [updated]

(I forgot to put this album on the list) As usual a great release by Kalmah, power metal at its best This album doesnt have a single boring song so it is quite enjoyable XD

Many others albums deserve to appear but these are the ones that mean the most to me this year
28.10.2008 - 21:00
Until the End
My favourite album's of '08 so far, in no particular order;

Kalmah - For the Revolution <---- Excellent, only 1 or 2 songs I find a bit boring.
Zonaria - The Cancer Empire <---- A good effort, not sure whether I like it as much as their debut though.
Amon Amarth - Twilight of the Thunder God <---- A mix of excellent and average songs.
Forefather - Steadfast <---- A quality release from the Brits, most songs are great.
Diablo - Icaros <---- A solid album, possibly even as good as 'Eternium'.
Hypocrisy - Catch 22 v2.0.08 <---- So much better than the original.
Falchion - Chronicles of the Dead <---- Has some great instrumental tracks, think it's an above average album.
Oakenshield - Gylfaginning <---- Apart from the fairly poor production and programmed drums this really is fantastic and something to build on.
Demiurg - The Hate Chamber <---- Can't beat a good bit of death metal.
Unleashed - Hammer Battalion <---- Same as above!
Cor Scorpii - Monument <---- Almost as good as Windir, almost...
Omnium Gatherum - The Redshift <---- Has some really poor tracks but the ones that are great make up for it.
Equilibrium - Sagas <---- The Germans know how to make epic metal...
Eluveitie - Slania <---- A mixture of awesome and average tracks.
Tracedawn - Tracedawn <---- Would probably sound better without the clean vocals, some of the songs really suck but these are countered by some crackers.
Prey for Nothing - Violence Divine - Never knew Israel could do melodic death until I heard these.
28.10.2008 - 23:45
Damnated
Churchburner
People, please, write a couple of words about the albums you enlist. otherwise i'll start reporting. i don't want a boring list thread.
----
Blessed is he that murders Christ in himself and in his fellow men.

Written by TheBigRossowski on 10.02.2009 at 16:01

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
29.10.2008 - 00:37
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by annodomini on 26.10.2008 at 09:54

And after first listenings...Its nnot bad album, but i think now its time to say about Catamenia: Its the Begining of the End.
Few songs are with lots of Core influences, nothing special, while the clean vocal this time is not really in its place. The are no more keybords... WTF Catamenia without keybords is not Catamenia.
But all in all despite some bad songs, there a really good Catamenian compositions, and the album is good, but far from the best time of Catamenia. Location:Cold were mutch better.

No keyboards eh? I have to check this out, the overuse of keyboards is becoming pretty common in metal now, it would be interesting to hear a band that once had heavy keyboard usage totally cut it out, see what they can come up with.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
29.10.2008 - 01:22
Until the End
Written by Damnated on 28.10.2008 at 23:45

People, please, write a couple of words about the albums you enlist. otherwise i'll start reporting. i don't want a boring list thread.

Sorry about that, edited my post now.
29.10.2008 - 16:08
FOOCK Nam
Written by Doc G. on 29.10.2008 at 00:37

Written by annodomini on 26.10.2008 at 09:54

No keyboards eh? I have to check this out, the overuse of keyboards is becoming pretty common in metal now, it would be interesting to hear a band that once had heavy keyboard usage totally cut it out, see what they can come up with.

Same thing I think. But I checked their official myspace, no any samples from this new stuff have been up.
04.11.2008 - 19:59
Powerslavex
Alexskywalker
Amon Amarth - Twilight Of The Thunder God.
Ayreon - 01011001
Draconian - Turning Season Within
Iced Earth - The Crucible Of Man Something Wicked part2
21.11.2008 - 01:52
Demigodc
Written by owl on 19.09.2008 at 12:27

Amon Amarth's "Twilight of the Thunder God".

Gotta love "Where's your God?".

Yeah!! Definitely the best song from the best album so far.
24.12.2008 - 21:46
annodomini
I think its a time to make our own top of the 2008. So give us top 10-20 best albums from 2008 for you .
This thread is the best place for this.
----
the riddle wants to be...
25.12.2008 - 01:21
Gigginova
Account deleted
2008's almost over
25.12.2008 - 01:40
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
2008 has had some damn good releases. Gojira, Austrian Death Machine (as much as Marcel doesnt like 'em ), Amaseffer, Ayreon (even though i cant see the fanaticism behind them), and Testament (even though i feel that their TFOD album doesnt sound like them AT ALL). some of these releases fell short of previous albums (Gojira to a very small degree and Exodus to a bigger degree). 2008 was a good year, bring on 2009!
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

Music was my life, music brought me to life and music is how I will be remembered long after I leave this life. When I die there will be a final waltz in my head that only I can hear.
25.12.2008 - 02:01
-DC-002-
Mastercommander
The Monolith Deathcult's new album is killer. Elite's is also very good, even though they aren't on the site.
----
Coldgrits
25.12.2008 - 18:32
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by LeChron James on 25.12.2008 at 01:40

... (... and Exodus to a bigger degree).

what Exodus album? They only released re-recorded OLD songs (yes, Hell's Breath is as old as the other songs on this album)
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996