Metal Storm logo
What's your favourite style of painting?

Original post

Posted by belisarius, 27.02.2008 - 17:15
i haven't found a topic like this, but if you find one please tell me then i'll delete this one. Personally i'm quite an artfan, my favourite style is baroque because of it's realism. My favourite painters are Caravaggio (baroque) and Schwabe (Symbolism).

Poll

what's your favourite style of painting?

surrealism
other (please specify)
romanticism
impressionism
abstract
renaissance
Symbolism
baroque

Total votes: 78
02.09.2016 - 09:07
Angry Soul

Romanticism, the German and English movements to be more precise...

Personally am a big admirer of the Pre-Raphaelites...

Also a fan of the German philosophical movement connected to the German movement (i.e. the philosophy of people like Friedrich Schelling)...
----
"The valor that struggles is better than the weakness that endures." - Georg Wilhelm Friedrich Hegel

"Art is the Tree of Life. Science is the Tree of Death." - William Blake
11.09.2016 - 21:50
IronAngel

Based on my very limited exposure, I am an Italian Renaissance man. I really love the mystery and solemnity of some early, Byzantine-influenced works (which I can't name off the top of my head, but from the late 14th century on). They really show the transition from medieval conventions to modern techniques, capturing the best of both worlds.

More famous works like Botticelli's Primavera are wonderful, of course, but the one painter who really struck me with his delicate style and wonderful colors was Filippo Lippi. There was just something magical seeing shit like this in person:

I also dig later styles, of course. Had Rubens's Feast of Venus as my desktop image for a while, and I love me some of the dreamier impressionists and co. Magnus Enckell is a worthwhile Finnish painter in that tradition:
12.09.2016 - 01:10
Crimson Maiden

I love modern art and the works of Van Gogh and Monet as well...I love art that is very odd and unique....Peter Max is another that I love, his style is magnificent..I love paintings done in oil or watercolor the best...8-]]
25.09.2016 - 17:12
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Eventhough I really like Surrealism a lot I guess I prefer Renaissance, Romanticism and Baroque over it. Michealangelo and da Vinci are among the greatest artists in history. And Gustave Dore and Rembrandt were the masters in Romanticism and Baroque.
27.09.2016 - 14:48
IronAngel

For some great Baroque art, Rubens is a good bet. The Feast of Venus has a great atmosphere and earthy colors, contrasting with the milky skins.
28.09.2016 - 01:30
3rdWorld
China was a neat
^Kinda not what I was expecting. Rembrandt's style is quite different from that. He doesn't focus on too much milky shitty human skins. His lighting, coloring and sepia tones are outstanding.

This is my absolute favorite of his though. The lighting is phenomenal. Would be a perfect cover for an Opeth/Cobalt album too, that is in case any of them can really make music that lives up to this.

Seems I only like artists selectively and not styles/movements. But I voted Renaissance and that style undoubtedly I do love though.
16.11.2016 - 05:35
3rdWorld
China was a neat
John William Godward was a neo-classicist era british painter. His works are insanely hyper-realistic, ethereal and just flat-out gorgeous. Love this style. His life though is such a tragedy, he committed suicide after being estranged from his family who disapproved him becoming an artist and burned all of his papers as they were ashamed of his suicide and life. No photographs of him are known to exist now. Check out his full bio.

Just look at the indifferent look on her face, he has beautifully captured what such beautiful and idle women of that era would've been like. Also the marble on the background is fucking ethereal. Stunning piece.

23.11.2016 - 20:27
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Maybe this thread should be renamed into "3rdWorld Presents: The Best of classical paintings"

Found this another cool artist, painter and illustrator from Austria part of the Decadence movement.

More stuff here.
19.09.2017 - 19:22
darkthrone

Abstract and romantism i guess
27.12.2017 - 14:20
Become Death

I went with romanticism due to Theodor Kittelsen being my favorite artist and according to Wikipedia his style "could be classified between Neo-Romantic and naive painting." My second favorite artist is John Bauer, but the internet does not readily tell me what his style was considered. Perhaps some art-inclined poster here could inform me. Yes, I know of both artists due to their works being used as album artwork. I suppose that doesn't make me terribly original, but hey, that's what I like.
----
Fear is the path to the darkside. Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering. Once you start down the path to the darkside, forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will.
29.05.2022 - 23:37
IronAngel

I guess I've reached a certain threshold of middle-classness to have started collecting art in the past few years. Mostly from auctions. It's a humble collection, mostly prints (i.e. lithography etc.) because they're affordable. But I am ecstatic about the crown jewel we recently managed to get, an oil self-portrait of maybe my favorite Finnish artist, seriously underrated modernist woman Elga Sesemann. One of the only real expressionists in Finland, I think. She's been gaining traction in recent years, slowly, but the prices are nowhere near where they could well be based on the quality of her work. Her best period was in the 1940s, when she was in her 20s, and her self-portraits are her really good. See e.g.:

Ours is less realistic and foreshadows a more simplified style she'd develop in the 50s and 60s, though it's from the same period. Feels like I'm in a museum every time I walk past it, it's so good. (Looks a lot better in real life though, the paint's slapped on very thick with a palette knife)

10.05.2023 - 14:43
Zenzero
Zenzero
Easy, impressionism! I love it!
13.01.2024 - 18:41
Metal Rasputin

Younger me would have said Renaissance or Baroque, and I still love them. These days I prefer abstract art over them. I used to think abstract art was just a scam until I saw some awesome art films by Norman McLaren, for example "A Phantasy in Colors". Now that's a revelation. Another inspiration I got when I read about the use of abstract art to get some very alien emotions out of animated cartoons back in the early 90's, like Ren & Stimpy where they used all kinds of ink stains, weird color contrasts and shapes just for that purpose alone, it's super creative and wild when you think about it. There are scam artists for sure, but there's also lots of great and genuine people who produce high quality abstract art and know how to use it effectively.
----
You've got a lot of guts. Let's see what they look like!