Metal Storm logo
What's your favourite style of painting?

Original post

Posted by belisarius, 27.02.2008 - 17:15
i haven't found a topic like this, but if you find one please tell me then i'll delete this one. Personally i'm quite an artfan, my favourite style is baroque because of it's realism. My favourite painters are Caravaggio (baroque) and Schwabe (Symbolism).

Poll

what's your favourite style of painting?

surrealism
other (please specify)
romanticism
impressionism
abstract
renaissance
Symbolism
baroque

Total votes: 78
08.01.2012 - 16:51
Twilight
IntepridTraveler
Those styles aren't really 'painting' styles, more like art styles or genres.
Especially something like Romanticism had a huge ideology behind it and isn't limited to painting.

Personally, I like a lot of styles.
From the romanticism period I like Caspar David Friedrich a lot.
From the surrealism period I think I prefer Rene Magritte over Salvador Dali.

In the mids of the 20th century there was a short wave of something called 'Colorfield painting'.
Mark Rothko really is one who I think contributed very impressive works in this style, but I still have to see his work in real life.
I keep hearing people are deeply moved while looking at his works, and I have to say I already do like it when only seeing small images of them on the internet.

A painter of today that I really appreciate is Gerhard Richter, but I need to search more for painters and artists in general that are alive and active today.
11.01.2012 - 23:21
Cuca Beludo
Account deleted
I don't like painting at all. 90% of paintings appear to be nothing mixed with strange alien things.

But this one is amazing. What style is this?
11.01.2012 - 23:33
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by [user id=114505] on 11.01.2012 at 23:21

According to Wiki it's a dramatic motif.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
11.01.2012 - 23:38
Cuca Beludo
Account deleted
Written by Troy Killjoy on 11.01.2012 at 23:33

Written by [user id=114505] on 11.01.2012 at 23:21

According to Wiki it's a dramatic motif.

So my vote goes to (other) Dramatic Motif!
12.01.2012 - 05:12
Mattybu
I voted for other, my choice being realism. It's basically how my mind has wanted to express itself through art my whole life. Whatever is there, gets put on the paper. What isn't, isn't. Call it confined, but I find it to be comforting in a way, and I find it very rewarding to accurately portray subjects in paintings and drawings when I do them. The closer it is to looking real, the better I've done.
27.01.2012 - 21:42
AngelofDeth
Cyborg Raptor
Written by Twilight on 08.01.2012 at 16:51

I recently saw his Two Men Contemplating the Moon piece at the Met in NYC, and he is also one of my faorite painters!

Romanticism is my favorite because of the incredible fantasy-like landscapes and the atmostsphere they produce. My favorite hobby is hiking so you can understand why I would like Romantic painting.

I am a photographer and Romantic Paintings can be very inspiring when shooting Landscapes.
----
pewpew.. gotcha
27.01.2012 - 22:56
Twilight
IntepridTraveler
Written by AngelofDeth on 27.01.2012 at 21:42

Written by Twilight on 08.01.2012 at 16:51

I recently saw his Two Men Contemplating the Moon piece at the Met in NYC, and he is also one of my faorite painters!

Romanticism is my favorite because of the incredible fantasy-like landscapes and the atmostsphere they produce. My favorite hobby is hiking so you can understand why I would like Romantic painting.

I am a photographer and Romantic Paintings can be very inspiring when shooting Landscapes.

Nice. I like hiking too.
Only problem is, it isn't exactly close by for me. For big parks I need to go abroad, since 90% of this country is man-made (it's silly).
But this is a little bit off-topic I guess...
28.01.2012 - 20:12
Ernis
狼獾
Written by [user id=114505] on 11.01.2012 at 23:38

Facepalm...

It's like "Who is James Hetfield?" "According to google it's a table."

Dramatic motif isn't a style. It's the contents and background of that particular painting. The artist represents romanticism, tho. Therefore you could've given your vote to that style.

Dramatic motif, wtf?!

Sorry, nothing personal...
28.01.2012 - 22:40
Cuca Beludo
Account deleted
Written by Ernis on 28.01.2012 at 20:12

Written by [user id=114505] on 11.01.2012 at 23:38

Facepalm...

It's like "Who is James Hetfield?" "According to google it's a table."

Dramatic motif isn't a style. It's the contents and background of that particular painting. The artist represents romanticism, tho. Therefore you could've given your vote to that style.

Dramatic motif, wtf?!

Sorry, nothing personal...

Well, my knowledge in painting is zero, so my vote go to that painting!
But I liked your comment of James Hetfield... You know him...
29.01.2012 - 01:02
Cuca Beludo
Account deleted
Written by Ernis on 29.01.2012 at 00:56

The artist's name is Peter Nicolai Arbo. Here's some info bout him http://pt.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Nicolai_Arbo. You can google his name to look up more paintings by him.

I already know him, but I never searched any of his works rather than this "Assgaardeien" (something like this...). This painting is also cover for the Bathory's "Blood Fire Death". There's also another great painting that I enjoy:

Better than any weird abstract painting
29.01.2012 - 01:04
Cuca Beludo
Account deleted

Also, that one is great!
30.01.2012 - 22:54
vezzy
Stallmanite
The artist's name is Peter Nicolai Arbo. Here's some info bout him http://pt.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Nicolai_Arbo. You can google his name to look up more paintings by him.

Romanticism has lots of paintings that ooze the epic factor. They also feature boobs rather often...

"They feature boobs rather often."

What happens when your #1 comedy inspiration is Cracked.com.
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
30.01.2012 - 23:00
JohnDoe
Account deleted
I'm hardly knowledgeable when it comes to painting, but I've always liked Impressionism. So my vote goes there.
16.02.2012 - 08:14
byng
Account deleted
I like impressionism because I like to see brush strokes in a painting and bold colors too. They look unfinished up close but beautiful from afar.
06.03.2012 - 16:37
Edmund Fogg
Dali is Surrealism right?
----
You cannot sedate all the things you hate - MM
The Observer is the source of reality - Bloom
God damn it!! What did Diddy didn't do? - Satan
07.03.2012 - 18:25
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by Edmund Fogg on 06.03.2012 at 16:37

Dali is Surrealism right?

Yeah, absolutely.
----
07.03.2012 - 21:05
Edmund Fogg
Written by vezzy on 07.03.2012 at 18:25

Yeah, absolutely.

Then my vote goes to surrealism or him more precisely. Not only his paintings are beautifull and mind twisting, but the whole persona and mystery he created is just incredible. I.e.: A french parfume shop wanted him to paint the window for the launch of a new fragrance called Fracas (Crash in english). He just sowed up on the release day and threw a brick right at the glass window. I love the guy.
----
You cannot sedate all the things you hate - MM
The Observer is the source of reality - Bloom
God damn it!! What did Diddy didn't do? - Satan
15.04.2012 - 14:06
Dàibh
'Twas a major toss up between surrealism and abstract. Eventually chose the former, but my mind still wavers...

I like any art form that challenges perception (is 'challenges' the right word?)

...I like any art form that is that pulls on out of ones self; breaks down conceptual reality and messes with your head a bit. The more the better.
15.04.2012 - 19:03
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
When i opted paintings in class 12th i scored 92 out of 100 and I suppose i was good in painting still pictures like standing pot with a curtain in the background kinda stuff.
16.04.2012 - 22:26
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by Cynic Metalhead on 15.04.2012 at 19:03
still pictures like standing pot with a curtain in the background kinda stuff.

Ugh, so uncivilized. That is what we call nature morte or still life. How posh.
----
16.04.2012 - 22:29
Fritillaria
Account deleted
I voted for abstract
17.04.2012 - 08:07
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Written by vezzy on 16.04.2012 at 22:26

still pictures like standing pot with a curtain in the background kinda stuff.

Ugh, so uncivilized. That is what we call nature morte or still life. How posh.

as far as my marks have to be concerned, i don't give a fuck about what kinda that painting was. i drew that fuck up and gotta good marks. civilized? or uncivilized? >_> sincerely don't care.
17.04.2012 - 08:55
Fritillaria
Account deleted

When i opted paintings in class 12th i scored 92 out of 100 and I suppose i was good in painting still pictures like standing pot with a curtain in the background kinda stuff.

that's great, if you like it, go on with it. Seems you're good in painting.I had good marks in painting during high school too. I always painted the trees outside. The same recurring subject of my paints
17.04.2012 - 12:25
Reza
Account deleted
Written by [user id=130727] on 17.04.2012 at 08:55

I had good marks in painting during high school too.

Unlike you painting is not my cup of tea. I never got a good mark in art during the school years I remember that I prefered to study math instead of it !
17.04.2012 - 12:29
Fritillaria
Account deleted
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Unlike you painting is not my cup of tea. I never got a good mark in art during the school years I remember that I prefered to study math instead of it !

although I was definitely good at math too I HATED it and the math teacher HATED me too. I was alway a big fan of Literature at schools. It's off topic anyway.
17.04.2012 - 13:00
Reza
Account deleted
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Written by [user id=130727] on 17.04.2012 at 12:29

although I was definitely good at math too I HATED it and the math teacher HATED me too. I was alway a big fan of Literature at schools. It's off topic anyway.

Yep. anyway my mother is a good painter. WISH I had inherited the art gene
02.07.2012 - 01:59
axelx666
I like abstract paintings. like this one for example:

what do you see in this painting?
i see an teepee, a mans face, and a dinosaur.
----
"they can't stop us,let them try,for heavy metal we will die"
"on olemassa asioita karmivimmat yönä olen yksi heistä."
" we are the new bucolic,we are the pulse of the maggots"
"END"
02.07.2012 - 03:17
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by axelx666 on 02.07.2012 at 01:59
what do you see in this painting?
i see an teepee, a mans face, and a dinosaur.

My girlfriend sees a building on fire and a ladder.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
13.07.2012 - 02:20
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Troy Killjoy on 02.07.2012 at 03:17
My girlfriend sees a building on fire and a ladder.

I see those things too + The Dinosaur.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
23.10.2012 - 21:43
How can you guys not love this? The Baroque yielded some of the darkest works ever created. http://asylumeclectica.com/asylum/morbid/files/Judith-Slaying-Holofernes.jpg