04. Battle Against Time
05. Death And The Healing
06. Starchild
07. Beautiful Death
08. Sadness And Hate
09. Winter Madness [demo] [Japanese bonus]
10. Beyond The Dark Sun [demo] [Japanese bonus]
11. Death And The Healing [demo] [Japanese bonus]

Disc II [Live At Summer Breeze 2005 DVD] [2006 Special Tour Edition re-release bonus]
01. Beyond The Dark Sun
02. Battle Against Time
03. Sleeping Stars
04. Beautiful Death
05. Death And The Healing
06. Winter Madness

Those readers who are familiar with the history of folk/power-metallers Ensiferum will doubtless be familiar with the history of Wintersun (i.e. that after walking out on Ensiferum, main man Jari Maënpäa formed the latter as a solo project). Speculation was rife in melodic metal circles - expectations for 'Wintersun' were largely high, though some suspected that Wintersun would be little more than Ensiferum Pt.II. In spite of the various similarities between this release and those of Maënpäa's former band (and make no mistake- they do exist), 'Wintersun' is very much an exceptional album, and will be reviewed as such.

Along with writing all music and lyrics, Maënpäa has taken it upon himself to play all guitar parts, keys and unleashes the vocal powerhouse with which listeners were teased in Ensiferum. Maënpäa is joined in this sonic sublimation by Rotten Sound drummer Kai Hahto, who lends to the album a deservedly intense and passionate rhythmic backbone.

The combination of the two is nothing short of breath-taking. By bringing together the best elements of folk, power, prog and extreme metal, Wintersun takes the listener on a remarkable journey covering a huge musical spectrum while maintaining a distinctive and exciting sound. Opening track "Beyond the Dark Sun" acts as short, fast slap in the face - grabbing the listener by the balls and warning them to get ready for a soulful and aggressive 54 minutes. Songs such as "Winter Madness," "Battle Against Time," and "Starchild" perpetuate this sorrowful, though energetic vibe by mixing the expectedly flashy, impressive guitar-playing of Maënpäa with some truly astounding drumming from valuable recruit Hahto. As a guitarist myself, the guitar-playing on an album is of vital importance to me - if the pyrotechnics fizzle, my interest fades. With this in mind, let it be said that if Angus Young is TNT, then listening to 'Wintersun' is an apocalyptic barrage of H-bombs. Maënpäa's leads mix soul and shred in ways that the competition can only dream of, while his rhythm playing is aggressive, beautiful, immaculate. Time for the Starchild to take over from the Wildchild, if I may be so bold as to say so.

Such songs (the fast ones, that is) are complemented beautifully by the several majestic and emotive masterpieces that adorn "Wintersun." As "Death and the Healing" and the epic "Sadness and Hate" illustrate, Maënpäa manages to craft mind-blowing songs at practically any tempo - reflecting his undeniable songwriting expertise perfectly.

Production of the album is just as compelling as its musicianship. Everything is crystal-clear, with each instrument mixed masterfully. The engineering and production (no prizes for guessing who produced it) is invaluable in the creation of the album's strong and cold ("wintery" even) atmosphere.

The generally melancholic and introspective feel of the album (both lyrically and musically) is further augmented by the wonderful album art (courtesy of Kristian Wahlin). The snow that dominates the scene is oppressive and foreboding, though light breaks through ever-so-slightly, as it does in the music.

In summary, all aspects of this album (from the overlooked to the essential) complement each other and create a cohesive whole that provides the listener with an experience to be very much treasured. I feel privileged to have this album - it truly feels like a gift from Jari Maënpäa to the metal world. There is no way that I can give 'Wintersun' anything other than a perfect 10.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 10
Songwriting: 10
Originality: 10
Production: 10

Written by Hyvaarin | 16.06.2006

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Guest review by
Black_Handed
Rating:
Ok, just to make it clear right at the beginning, I absolutely love/adore/worship (choose preferred term) this album. And I'm not alone, just check the number of fans in "Featured bands" section. So reviewing this album comes with great responsibility.
Jari Mäenpää started as a part of Ensiferum. Great black folk metal band if you'd ask me. So why did he leave? He came up with some interesting not-so-Ensiferum-like ideas. So he started his own project with drummer Kai Hahto of Rotten Sound grinders. But where are the others? Where are synth, bass, second guitar players we can hear in there? Well by the time Wintersun was recorded Jari Mäenpää did everything except drums. Yes, everything except drums. Later on Jukka Koskinken of Norther and Teemu Mäntysaari joined to finish the lineup.

Read more ››
published 07.07.2006 | Comments (26)

Guest review by
Talvi
Rating:
Wintersun is the band Jari Mäenpää started after leaving Ensiferum. Some people dispise this band because they compare it to Ensiferum and say it's worse. Big mistake. This probably isn't as bombastic and catchy as Ensiferum, of course, but, what is Wintersun?

I've seen them labelled as Melodic Death Metal, as well as Extreme Power Metal. The first thing that comes to my mind though, is Children Of Bodom. But Children Of Bodom they are not. They play somewhat epic, almost progressive Melodic Death/Black Metal with Folk influences. You may see it as less Folk-like, as only some riffs have Folk qualities, but more aggressive and complex Ensiferum. It's far more than just that however.

Read more ››
published 29.12.2006 | Comments (6)

Guest review by
RhaegarTargaryen
Rating:
When in 2004 Jari Mäenpää left Ensiferum, few people could imagine what impact that would leave on the metal community. Ensiferum got on pretty we'll, but what Jari did with his new band Wintersun was something quite unexpected. There are only few albums that deserve this kind of praise and hype, but I think this one is one of them.

Read more ››
published 21.12.2007 | Comments (29)

Guest review by
Rating:
A most beautiful melancholic album cover, fast sweeping guitar solos, some fantastic melodies, and an epic, if slightly overproduced soundscape - Wintersun's debut album is clearly the result of a lot of passion and hard work and is obviously intended to be a monumental album. It is a shame then, that with so much going for it, Wintersun falls short of being the masterpiece that it is intended to be.

Read more ››
published 27.07.2014 | Comments (11)

Comments page 2 / 3

Comments: 80   Visited by: 459 users
26.06.2007 - 22:40
Rating: 7
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
I agree with Nervel & Basso up there. Great album, but very overrated, definitly an 8...it does have its dull forgettable moments here and there.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
18.09.2007 - 09:26
marts
Account deleted
Stuff 10/10, 11/10!!!

Some people that are saying it's overrated probably just don't get the feel and epicness of Jari... his voice (clean and harsh) is so captivating and epic and his songwriting is amazing.

BEST.ALBUM.EVER
18.09.2007 - 15:19
Rating: 10
Stalker
Lone wanderer
I dont think that Im wrong if I give 10 to this album. In fact, I would be wrong if I give it less than 10... I dont know why someones 1st album shouldnt be rated 10 But i guess its all matter of taste, anyway... But the time shall tell...
----
28.12.2007 - 21:32
Rating: 9
Piro
I also don't think this album should get a ten. Its a very good album, no doubt, but people have to realize that there is no such thing as perfection. I would give this album (actually, I did http://soundofmetal.se/index.php?page=wintersunwintersunreview) an 8.7 even though I very rarely give stuff above 8 unless its truly great. There are some flaws in this album, and people don't seem to get that for some reason.
----
<Philosophy>Insert Intelligent Sounding yet meaningless Philosophical Quote Here</Philosophy>
29.12.2007 - 04:46
Hyvaarin
Written by Piro on 28.12.2007 at 21:32

I also don't think this album should get a ten. Its a very good album, no doubt, but people have to realize that there is no such thing as perfection. I would give this album (actually, I did http://soundofmetal.se/index.php?page=wintersunwintersunreview) an 8.7 even though I very rarely give stuff above 8 unless its truly great. There are some flaws in this album, and people don't seem to get that for some reason.

At the time of writing, I couldn't find any flaws in the album. Of course, if I were to re-review it now I probably wouldn't give it a 10, but hey.
----
"Summoned By Words Never Spoken Before..."
22.01.2008 - 02:49
Urizen367
"let it be said that if Angus Young is TNT, then listening to 'Wintersun' is an apocalyptic barrage of H-bombs."

that is fucking classic.
----
I will not reason and compare, my business is to create.
23.02.2008 - 04:11
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
Written by Urizen367 on 22.01.2008 at 02:49

"let it be said that if Angus Young is TNT, then listening to 'Wintersun' is an apocalyptic barrage of H-bombs."

that is fucking classic.

Fuck me. Is this what the world's coming to? Wintersun over AC/DC? Fuck me, again.
----
The force will be with you, always.
23.02.2008 - 04:23
Rating: 8
ß
Problem?
very solid cd. But it's pretty overrated.
----
My music blog - Updated regularly.
To live is to think - Cicero
27.02.2008 - 05:43
Hyvaarin
Written by Clintagräm on 23.02.2008 at 04:11

that is fucking classic.

Fuck me. Is this what the world's coming to? Wintersun over AC/DC? Fuck me, again.

Hahahahahahahaah. Though I really don't like AC/DC, and though I admit that my review is quite hyperbolic, I stand by my belief that Maenpaa is way fucking better than Angus Young.
----
27.02.2008 - 05:58
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
Written by Hyvaarin on 27.02.2008 at 05:43

Written by Clintagräm on 23.02.2008 at 04:11

that is fucking classic.

Hahahahahahahaah. Though I really don't like AC/DC, and though I admit that my review is quite hyperbolic, I stand by my belief that Maenpaa is way fucking better than Angus Young.

Are you seriously going to claim that after one album (I know he was in Ensiferum) vs. years of classic albums, songwriting, skill, and influence? Are you kidding me? Is he better than Iommi and Page too?
----
02.03.2008 - 17:20
Hyvaarin
Written by Clintagräm on 27.02.2008 at 05:58

Are you seriously going to claim that after one album (I know he was in Ensiferum) vs. years of classic albums, songwriting, skill, and influence? Are you kidding me? Is he better than Iommi and Page too?

Yes I am, and I'll tell you why. Angus Young's playing bores me. Note that I said his "playing", and not his albums, "skill" (which, if you are referring to measurable technical ability, is an absolute joke compared to Maënpäa's anyway), influence, etc. AND you'll hopefully also note that my comment in the review concerned Angus Young's playing, and none of the other shit that you've brought up.
----
02.03.2008 - 17:22
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
Written by Hyvaarin on 02.03.2008 at 17:20

Yes I am, and I'll tell you why. Angus Young's playing bores me. Note that I said his "playing", and not his albums, "skill" (which, if you are referring to measurable technical ability, is an absolute joke compared to Maënpäa's anyway), influence, etc. AND you'll hopefully also note that my comment in the review concerned Angus Young's playing, and none of the other shit that you've brought up.

Wow. Alright man. By the way, skill doesn't involving playing fast or shredding, true guitar skill involves not only technical ability, but fluid and memorable songwriting. It's something like AC/DC's riffs that people remember, over Wintersun, which in my opinion is often very recycled sounding riffs that leave me right after they're played. Hmm...I might create a topic about this.
----
03.03.2008 - 14:53
Judas
The Amputator
Written by Clintagräm on 02.03.2008 at 17:22

Wow. Alright man. By the way, skill doesn't involving playing fast or shredding, true guitar skill involves not only technical ability, but fluid and memorable songwriting. It's something like AC/DC's riffs that people remember, over Wintersun, which in my opinion is often very recycled sounding riffs that leave me right after they're played. Hmm...I might create a topic about this.

Um, dude, 'playing with skill' and 'songwriting' are two very, very different things. Obviously, the reviewer isn't confusing the two, unlike you. By your definition, someone like Steve Harris would be a very talented guitarist, because he can write 'fluid and memorable' stuff, and can play what he writes without the technical virtuosity of a 'shredder' like Jari, right? But here's the thing: Steve Harris plays bass! Not all songwriters are guitarists, and not all guitarists are songwriters, so don't put 'guitar skill' and 'songwriting' under the same banner.
----
"Once the game is over, the king and the pawn both go back into the same box."
03.03.2008 - 19:08
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
Written by Judas on 03.03.2008 at 14:53

Um, dude, 'playing with skill' and 'songwriting' are two very, very different things. Obviously, the reviewer isn't confusing the two, unlike you. By your definition, someone like Steve Harris would be a very talented guitarist, because he can write 'fluid and memorable' stuff, and can play what he writes without the technical virtuosity of a 'shredder' like Jari, right? But here's the thing: Steve Harris plays bass! Not all songwriters are guitarists, and not all guitarists are songwriters, so don't put 'guitar skill' and 'songwriting' under the same banner.

Well, I'm not confusing the two. I understand what they are, and how they're different but to me, guitar skill involves both technical ability and "good" songwriting. I think we just have a difference in preference, and not in understanding. I agree when most people think of skill, they think of technical proficiency, but I also think of songwriting. Malmsteen fucking shreds like no other, but what makes someone like Petrucci (in my opinion) or Jason Becker a more skilled guitarist has to do with their songwriting skills, and not just virtuoso ability. Otherwise, we get to a point where a guitarists can play everything, but it depends on what they write that makes them skilled, in my opinion. I can see what you thought from my post though. Get me?
----
06.03.2008 - 02:44
Urizen367
Written by Clintagräm on 03.03.2008 at 19:08

Written by Judas on 03.03.2008 at 14:53

Well, I'm not confusing the two. I understand what they are, and how they're different but to me, guitar skill involves both technical ability and "good" songwriting. I think we just have a difference in preference, and not in understanding. I agree when most people think of skill, they think of technical proficiency, but I also think of songwriting. Malmsteen fucking shreds like no other, but what makes someone like Petrucci (in my opinion) or Jason Becker a more skilled guitarist has to do with their songwriting skills, and not just virtuoso ability. Otherwise, we get to a point where a guitarists can play everything, but it depends on what they write that makes them skilled, in my opinion. I can see what you thought from my post though. Get me?

in terms of skill. jari wins. yes he plays fast, but take it from me (a guitarist), his stuff is insanely difficult to emulate. he pulls off sweep arpeggios like nothing, his tapping sounds like he's gonna punch a hole in the fretboard, and not to mention his dexterity, speed, strength, and precision with his fingers. every note on that album is perfect. in terms of song-writing, the two are far different. Ac/Dc is more of a poppy style (yes, i said it), jari's is just your standard power-folk metal crazy off the wall style song writing. so there is no true winner there. maybe if one wrote more like the other, it'd be a different call.

now as mentioned in the last of the quotes, you consider guitar skill to be: technical ability and good songwriting. and i'm going to use one of the afore mentioned bands as an example: Iron Maiden's Dave Murray. Davey has been with the band since 76 and in that time has co-written about...15 songs? ish? he does not have one song solely of his own writing, in 32 years. he is and has been Iron Maiden's BEST guitarist. though i do prefer Adrian meself, i will not doubt that Dave far surpasses both Janick and Adrian in terms of technical ability. so, does it demean Dave's "guitar skill" knowing he's only written a handful of songs, but technically is a bomber of a guitarist?
----
06.03.2008 - 06:21
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
Written by Urizen367 on 06.03.2008 at 02:44

in terms of skill. jari wins. yes he plays fast, but take it from me (a guitarist), his stuff is insanely difficult to emulate. he pulls off sweep arpeggios like nothing, his tapping sounds like he's gonna punch a hole in the fretboard, and not to mention his dexterity, speed, strength, and precision with his fingers. every note on that album is perfect. in terms of song-writing, the two are far different. Ac/Dc is more of a poppy style (yes, i said it), jari's is just your standard power-folk metal crazy off the wall style song writing. so there is no true winner there. maybe if one wrote more like the other, it'd be a different call.

now as mentioned in the last of the quotes, you consider guitar skill to be: technical ability and good songwriting. and i'm going to use one of the afore mentioned bands as an example: Iron Maiden's Dave Murray. Davey has been with the band since 76 and in that time has co-written about...15 songs? ish? he does not have one song solely of his own writing, in 32 years. he is and has been Iron Maiden's BEST guitarist. though i do prefer Adrian meself, i will not doubt that Dave far surpasses both Janick and Adrian in terms of technical ability. so, does it demean Dave's "guitar skill" knowing he's only written a handful of songs, but technically is a bomber of a guitarist?

Well, just because Jari puts all of his ability into this songs doesn't make him the best. Once you get to certain limits, you can't go anywhere except songwriting. That's what makes, in my opinion, someone like Jason Becker way better than Malmsteen. They both could shred like fucking crazy, but Jason wrote way better songs, in my opinion. That's where I am coming from. Do you see? With Dave Murray it's the exact same, I think you have weigh both options, skill and songwriting. Sure, he (or anyone else) could be technically amazing, but (obviously) with Murray maybe aren't utilized with their songwriting skills because it isn't good or doesn't fit or you have someone better. I was comparing the two MAIN songwriters, so obviously with the little material Dave's name's tied to, it's up for debate, just like everything else.
----
07.03.2008 - 06:22
Urizen367
Written by Clintagräm on 06.03.2008 at 06:21

Written by Urizen367 on 06.03.2008 at 02:44

Well, just because Jari puts all of his ability into this songs doesn't make him the best. Once you get to certain limits, you can't go anywhere except songwriting. That's what makes, in my opinion, someone like Jason Becker way better than Malmsteen. They both could shred like fucking crazy, but Jason wrote way better songs, in my opinion. That's where I am coming from. Do you see? With Dave Murray it's the exact same, I think you have weigh both options, skill and songwriting. Sure, he (or anyone else) could be technically amazing, but (obviously) with Murray maybe aren't utilized with their songwriting skills because it isn't good or doesn't fit or you have someone better. I was comparing the two MAIN songwriters, so obviously with the little material Dave's name's tied to, it's up for debate, just like everything else.

i think i speak for a lot of people reading this, when i say, dude you are confusing the hell outta me.
----
07.03.2008 - 06:25
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
Written by Urizen367 on 07.03.2008 at 06:22

i think i speak for a lot of people reading this, when i say, dude you are confusing the hell outta me.

So you don't understand the difference between technical skills and songwriting skills?
----
11.03.2008 - 05:35
Evil Chip
Written by Clintagräm on 07.03.2008 at 06:25

So you don't understand the difference between technical skills and songwriting skills?

So you are saying that actually a guitar player most improve their composing skills (not songwriting skills). There is no thing in music such as called: songwriting skill, there's no such thing like the 10 rules to make the perfect song.... And if there would then it wouldn't be called music, it wouldn't be called an art. Everyone with some music theory knowledge can know that wintersun makes songs that are more well crafted and professional than AC/DC. But that make them better? .. No, just DIFFERENT.
11.03.2008 - 05:42
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
Written by Evil Chip on 11.03.2008 at 05:35

So you are saying that actually a guitar player most improve their composing skills (not songwriting skills). There is no thing in music such as called: songwriting skill, there's no such thing like the 10 rules to make the perfect song.... And if there would then it wouldn't be called music, it wouldn't be called an art. Everyone with some music theory knowledge can know that wintersun makes songs that are more well crafted and professional than AC/DC. But that make them better? .. No, just DIFFERENT.

Well, that is where our opinions part. I personally think someone can be a terrible songwriter, while someone else can be fantastic. Obviously they're different, but when music is uninspired, repetitive, and stale (among other attributes) that is what I call poor songwriting. Obviously, this is largely an opinion, but everyone has them, so I voice mine. I say this band is totally overrated and while songs are technically respectable, their lukewarm nature is not. To each their own.
----
11.03.2008 - 07:01
bluemobiusx
Account deleted
Written by Clintagräm on 11.03.2008 at 05:42

Written by Evil Chip on 11.03.2008 at 05:35

Well, that is where our opinions part. I personally think someone can be a terrible songwriter, while someone else can be fantastic. Obviously they're different, but when music is uninspired, repetitive, and stale (among other attributes) that is what I call poor songwriting. Obviously, this is largely an opinion, but everyone has them, so I voice mine. I say this band is totally overrated and while songs are technically respectable, their lukewarm nature is not. To each their own.

I don't see how this band is lukewarm in nature at all. I suppose that's your own opinion, but I have had this album for two years and still play it almost daily. If your not into it than that's cool, but there is nothing lukewarm about this band. Jari didn't leave Ensiferum to be lukewarm. He fucking recorded everything except for drums on here. He worked hard on this album, nothing at all about this album is lukewarm. Say it's not your cup of tea or you would rather listen to old Children of Bodom songs, songs that just rip off the classical composers, or if you are expecting some extreme folk metal album, this isn't, but don't say something that Jari worked on for about 10 years is lukewarm. That's a pretty dick move. I'm not trying to be a butt, but its not like a few "elite" metal wannabes like this album, a bunch of people do. Saying this album is lukewarm is like saying George Bush is a great president, The majority isn't going to agree with you. You don't have to like the album, but you can show some respect.
11.03.2008 - 09:36
Harmonic
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 11.03.2008 at 07:01

I don't see how this band is lukewarm in nature at all. I suppose that's your own opinion, but I have had this album for two years and still play it almost daily. If your not into it than that's cool, but there is nothing lukewarm about this band. Jari didn't leave Ensiferum to be lukewarm. He fucking recorded everything except for drums on here. He worked hard on this album, nothing at all about this album is lukewarm. Say it's not your cup of tea or you would rather listen to old Children of Bodom songs, songs that just rip off the classical composers, or if you are expecting some extreme folk metal album, this isn't, but don't say something that Jari worked on for about 10 years is lukewarm. That's a pretty dick move. I'm not trying to be an ass, but its not like a few "elite" metal wannabes like this album, a bunch of people do. Saying this album is lukewarm is like saying George Bush is a great president, The majority isn't going to agree with you. You don't have to like the album, but you can show some respect.

When I first heard this album, it blew me away. I found it to be very moving and emotional - not how I usually respond to metal music. For the longest time I had it listed as my favourite album, until I discovered Agalloch. I can hear the effort and time that Jari put into it whenever I listen. But when something is this good, many people will not be able to understand it. I am not surprised that a lot of people think that Wintersun is no big deal. That's alright, because the very best work always causes strong reactions in people - both positive and negative. The fact that people can both love Wintersun and despise Wintersun is proof that the album is a work of art.

And remember, the majority of Americans do think that George Bush is a great president. That's why he was elected twice. Don't wait for the majority to agree with you when you are perfectly capable of making up your own mind! Even if only a few people liked Wintersun, it wouldn't stop me from knowing that it was a fantastic album.
11.03.2008 - 10:07
FOOCK Nam
Totally killer album. I love all songs in this album
11.03.2008 - 19:35
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder

I don't see how this band is lukewarm in nature at all. I suppose that's your own opinion, but I have had this album for two years and still play it almost daily. If your not into it than that's cool, but there is nothing lukewarm about this band. Jari didn't leave Ensiferum to be lukewarm. He fucking recorded everything except for drums on here. He worked hard on this album, nothing at all about this album is lukewarm. Say it's not your cup of tea or you would rather listen to old Children of Bodom songs, songs that just rip off the classical composers, or if you are expecting some extreme folk metal album, this isn't, but don't say something that Jari worked on for about 10 years is lukewarm. That's a pretty dick move. I'm not trying to be an ass, but its not like a few "elite" metal wannabes like this album, a bunch of people do. Saying this album is lukewarm is like saying George Bush is a great president, The majority isn't going to agree with you. You don't have to like the album, but you can show some respect.

Well, it's of my personal opinion that everything I've heard from this genre (CoB, Norther, Kalmah) is all lukewarm. That's my descriptive opinion. I didn't say it was a "fucking disgrace to metal" or "a steaming hunk of shit." I said it seemed lukewarm, and to me, it's just that. I don't feel much direction in the music. I don't see a purpose to it. I don't enjoy it. I commented saying it was technically proficient, but that's not what makes an album or a song to me. I personally find more emotion or feeling in a Burzum song like "Lost Wisdom" than I do in anything I've ever heard from Wintersun. I am indifferent to this album and this band. It's nothing special to me, but I don't go out of my way to prove how shitty it is, like you seem to say I am. I respect him for being a great musician, but I don't enjoy the album that much. Hell, I love Blind Guardian but I found their latest to be "lukewarm" also. Does that mean I hate them or despise their music? No. I just felt the album was uninspiring. You're exactly the type of person that makes me dislike this album even more, because I get grilled for speaking my opinion about it being moderate and unenthusiastic. I'm not saying he didn't put hard work into it, and obviously it's emotional to him and you and others, but IN MY OPINION, it isn't. Get a grip and deal with it.

Written by Guest on 11.03.2008 at 09:36

The fact that people can both love Wintersun and despise Wintersun is proof that the album is a work of art.

Yeah, and obviously art is highly subjective, so there's often no "good or bad." I could take a shit on a piece of paper and call it art. I'm sure many people would hate it but I bet I could find one person out there who likes it. Does that make it a work of art? Yeah okay...
----
11.03.2008 - 20:13
Harmonic
Account deleted
Written by Clintagräm on 11.03.2008 at 19:35

Yeah, and obviously art is highly subjective, so there's often no "good or bad." I could take a shit on a piece of paper and call it art. I'm sure many people would hate it but I bet I could find one person out there who likes it. Does that make it a work of art? Yeah okay...

Now that's hardly a reasonable comparison! I wouldn't even draw that parallel with St. Anger. What did Jari ever do to you?

11.03.2008 - 20:30
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
Written by Guest on 11.03.2008 at 20:13

Now that's hardly a reasonable comparison! I wouldn't even draw that parallel with St. Anger. What did Jari ever do to you?

Haha, I'm not comparing Wintersun to that, but how widely "art" can be interpreted. I enjoy Wintersun and I think they're a talented band, even though people seem to think that I despise them. I just don't find them to be all they're made up to be, that's all.
----
11.03.2008 - 20:47
bluemobiusx
Account deleted

I don't see how this band is lukewarm in nature at all. I suppose that's your own opinion, but I have had this album for two years and still play it almost daily. If your not into it than that's cool, but there is nothing lukewarm about this band. Jari didn't leave Ensiferum to be lukewarm. He fucking recorded everything except for drums on here. He worked hard on this album, nothing at all about this album is lukewarm. Say it's not your cup of tea or you would rather listen to old Children of Bodom songs, songs that just rip off the classical composers, or if you are expecting some extreme folk metal album, this isn't, but don't say something that Jari worked on for about 10 years is lukewarm. That's a pretty dick move. I'm not trying to be a butt, but its not like a few "elite" metal wannabes like this album, a bunch of people do. Saying this album is lukewarm is like saying George Bush is a great president, The majority isn't going to agree with you. You don't have to like the album, but you can show some respect.

When I first heard this album, it blew me away. I found it to be very moving and emotional - not how I usually respond to metal music. For the longest time I had it listed as my favourite album, until I discovered Agalloch. I can hear the effort and time that Jari put into it whenever I listen. But when something is this good, many people will not be able to understand it. I am not surprised that a lot of people think that Wintersun is no big deal. That's alright, because the very best work always causes strong reactions in people - both positive and negative. The fact that people can both love Wintersun and despise Wintersun is proof that the album is a work of art.

And remember, the majority of Americans do think that George Bush is a great president. That's why he was elected twice. Don't wait for the majority to agree with you when you are perfectly capable of making up your own mind! Even if only a few people liked Wintersun, it wouldn't stop me from knowing that it was a fantastic album.

I was talking to wyatt in my comment and contrary to your beliefs, Bush won the first election without winning a majority vote. He won because of the electoral college. And Bush's current approval rating is 19%. I would say 19% is hardly a majority.
11.03.2008 - 20:57
bluemobiusx
Account deleted

I don't see how this band is lukewarm in nature at all. I suppose that's your own opinion, but I have had this album for two years and still play it almost daily. If your not into it than that's cool, but there is nothing lukewarm about this band. Jari didn't leave Ensiferum to be lukewarm. He fucking recorded everything except for drums on here. He worked hard on this album, nothing at all about this album is lukewarm. Say it's not your cup of tea or you would rather listen to old Children of Bodom songs, songs that just rip off the classical composers, or if you are expecting some extreme folk metal album, this isn't, but don't say something that Jari worked on for about 10 years is lukewarm. That's a pretty dick move. I'm not trying to be an butt, but its not like a few "elite" metal wannabes like this album, a bunch of people do. Saying this album is lukewarm is like saying George Bush is a great president, The majority isn't going to agree with you. You don't have to like the album, but you can show some respect.

Well, it's of my personal opinion that everything I've heard from this genre (CoB, Norther, Kalmah) is all lukewarm. That's my descriptive opinion. I didn't say it was a "fucking disgrace to metal" or "a steaming hunk of shit." I said it seemed lukewarm, and to me, it's just that. I don't feel much direction in the music. I don't see a purpose to it. I don't enjoy it. I commented saying it was technically proficient, but that's not what makes an album or a song to me. I personally find more emotion or feeling in a Burzum song like "Lost Wisdom" than I do in anything I've ever heard from Wintersun. I am indifferent to this album and this band. It's nothing special to me, but I don't go out of my way to prove how shitty it is, like you seem to say I am. I respect him for being a great musician, but I don't enjoy the album that much. Hell, I love Blind Guardian but I found their latest to be "lukewarm" also. Does that mean I hate them or despise their music? No. I just felt the album was uninspiring. You're exactly the type of person that makes me dislike this album even more, because I get grilled for speaking my opinion about it being moderate and unenthusiastic. I'm not saying he didn't put hard work into it, and obviously it's emotional to him and you and others, but IN MY OPINION, it isn't. Get a grip and deal with it.

The fact that people can both love Wintersun and despise Wintersun is proof that the album is a work of art.

I just don't think you are in any place to be judging the songwriting on this album as lukewarm, uninspired, stale, etc. If you don't like the genre then don't judge the music in it. When brewers bring their beers to compete against other brewers, the judges panel is not going to be made up of people who dislike beer. If one appreciates the album cool, but if one doesn't, doesn't even like the bands in the genre, then why say anything at all, stop wasting your time here. I would understand your comments more perhaps if you were a fan of extreme power metal, but the fact that you find most bands within the genre lukewarm, uninspired, etc tells me you aren't. I'm not a big fan of Dream Theater, but I'm not going to go say their music is uninspired when a lot of other people seem to enjoy it and just because I'm not a fan of it. Why waste your time here bashing this stuff, when you could be commenting about the good stuff or doing something more positive.
11.03.2008 - 21:06
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
Written by Guest on 11.03.2008 at 20:57

I just don't think you are in any place to be judging the songwriting on this album as lukewarm, uninspired, stale, etc. If you don't like the genre then don't judge the music in it. When brewers bring their beers to compete against other brewers, the judges panel is not going to be made up of people who dislike beer. If one appreciates the album cool, but if one doesn't, doesn't even like the bands in the genre, then why say anything at all, stop wasting your time here. I would understand your comments more perhaps if you were a fan of extreme power metal, but the fact that you find most bands within the genre lukewarm, uninspired, etc tells me you aren't. I'm not a big fan of Dream Theater, but I'm not going to go say their music is uninspired when a lot of other people seem to enjoy it and just because I'm not a fan of it. Why waste your time here bashing this stuff, when you could be commenting about the good stuff or doing something more positive.

Because it's a genre of the music (that is, Metal) that I enjoy very much. I enjoy Power Metal, I enjoy Extreme Metal. You're obviously bent out of shape that I don't enjoy this album. And for the last time, I'm not bashing it. I enjoy it to a degree, just as I might enjoy Dragonforce, but in the long run it does nothing for me. If I'm not "allowed" to have an opinion on this music, then no one anywhere could have an opinion on anything. You don't need a degree in theory to judge music. You just need to get a grip and just accept it. Damn man. It's just music, deal with it.
----
11.03.2008 - 21:37
Harmonic
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 11.03.2008 at 20:47

I was talking to wyatt in my comment and contrary to your beliefs, Bush won the first election without winning a majority vote. He won because of the electoral college. And Bush's current approval rating is 19%. I would say 19% is hardly a majority.

Well thank you for the friendly reception. I've got news for you: this is a forum. If you don't want someone else participating then consider having your discussion privately.

Hits total: 13122 | This month: 1