Metal Storm logo
Magnum

19.06.2006 - 02:30
Dam3k
So what about this great old school band from england?? Does anybody know them? What do u think? I think they are kinda underrated they have a really good songs which has never had the success they deserve...
----

26.06.2006 - 02:47
Dam3k
Come on... don't tell me nobody in this community knows this band!!! T_T
----

26.06.2006 - 19:34
TimmyPix
I know them, and boy have they fallen from grace! I live in a small village. Now one of Whitesnake's original guitarists (I think anyway, he was with them for 3 years but I don't know if he was there from the beginning) lives in this village also, and he now plays blues, and has a charity gig every year. Magnum are a support act! And I checked it up, this is the same Magnum who were big(ish) in the 80s!
----
And remember kids, don't play with matches - flamethrowers are much more fun!
26.06.2006 - 19:36
TimmyPix
Sorry I forgot to mention, this guitarist is Bernie Marsden! And I've played with him! but that's kind of irrelevant
----
29.06.2006 - 00:53
Dam3k
LOL cool =))) it's a shame this band is underrated and long ago it was tagged somewhat like metal...
----

29.06.2006 - 08:18
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
I quite like Magnum, especially their albums Chase the Dragon, On A Storyteller's Night, Marauder, and The Eleventh Hour.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

03.07.2006 - 23:22
TimmyPix
See I couldn't have named any of their albums... but from what I've seen of them at the gig, they play pretty standard eighties metal, couple o catchy songs.
----
05.09.2006 - 02:08
Dam3k
ye! maybe them are too old to be known nowadays
----

09.09.2006 - 20:45
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Dam3k on 05.09.2006 at 02:08

Well, they were never really big in the eighties either.
I remember never having any trouble getting tickets to their shows back then. Could show at the door and there would still be tickets. But yeah hell of a great band. Nice melodic semi-neo-progressive rock metal. Somehow reminded me of a more audience friendly version of Marillion. And I always had a softspot for Bob Catley's vocals. Nice melody lines.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

09.09.2006 - 20:54
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
For anyone interested in Magnum's history, here is what www.rockdetector.com has on them...

Birmingham based melodic Pomp Rock band MAGNUM has, over the years, enjoyed both well deserved success and periods in the wilderness. Centered around the supreme songwriting skills of guitarist Tony Clarkin and characteristic vocal stylings of BOB CATLEY, MAGNUM have certainly carved a niche for themselves with some quintessentially English, excellent and easily identifiable songs. They've also collected a loyal fan base and have achieved cult status for their very English blend of AOR and Hard Rock.

Formed in the mid 70s from an alliance of Clarkin and Catley, who had both paid their dues in a Birmingham covers band in the 70s, together with bassist Wally Lowe, drummer Kex Gorin and keyboard player Richard Bailey. Pre-MAGNUM, Clarkin had been involved with such formative acts as late sixties combo THE BOULEVARDS, MAGIC BOX and the London based COMPLEX.

Initially MAGNUM was established as a covers act, scoring a valuable residency at The Rumrunner venue in Birmingham. MAGNUM's first single (a cover of THE SEARCHERS 'Sweets For My Sweet') featured original bassist Dave Morgan singing lead vocal on the A side and Bob Catley on the B side. 'Sweets For My Sweet', which included a mid-section passage from 'God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen', was demoed, this disc securing a label deal from Roger Greenaway. Once the single had been cut, the band's dissapointment at its less than enthusiastic reception was added to as their gig at The Rumrunner was lost. MAGNUM's shift from covers to Clarkin's original material, together with the band's obviously increasing volume providing an impetus onto a new career path. Morgan formed HOOKER in 1976 with drummer Jim Simpson for the 'Bent Needles' album and later joined the ELECTRIC LIGHT ORCHESTRA.

MAGNUM's first album, 'Kingdom Of Madness', proved a grandiose affair. A year earlier, in 1977, the group had supported fellow brummies JUDAS PRIEST on their British tour and followed up with another tour with WHITESNAKE in October 1978, ensuring a great deal of exposure for the material on the album.

The second record, lazily titled 'Magnum 2' and produced by TEN YEARS AFTER bassist Leo Lyons, consolidated their early achievements and again saw the band supporting name artists across Britain. This time BLUE OYSTER CULT, in November, and KROKUS took the Birmingham outfit out on the road and a dual headliner with TYGERS OF PAN TANG also took place.

Easily at their best in a live situation, MAGNUM chose to record a live album for their third album. 'Marauder', produced by Lyons once again, appeared in 1980. A live 'Marauder' EP also appeared, containing tracks not available on the album But as MAGNUM's status grew so did band tensions within the group and Richard Bailey departed, teaming up with TRAPEZE and ALASKA and made room for Grenville Harding. However, shortly after a tour of Britain with DEF LEPPARD in April 1980 Harding was asked to leave and in came former RAINMAKER and LITTLE ACRE keyboard player Mark Stanway.

It was under the auspices of producer Jeff Glixman that the band's next studio album, 'Chase The Dragon, was recorded. This record really pushed the band to the fore and as it charted the band increased the live work, even heading off to support fellow Jet artist OZZY OSBOURNE in America.

However, the band's last album for Jet, 'The Eleventh Hour', did not give MAGNUM the hit they needed and label and band parted ways after it's release. Still, once again MAGNUM toured Britain, this time with an additional guest guitarist in ROBIN GEORGE.

During 1982 with MAGNUM inactive Gorin toured as drummer for TRAPEZE. 1983 proved a period of confusion for the band as Stanway announced he was working with THIN LIZZY's PHIL LYNOTT (following rumours he had joined WHITESNAKE) prompting rumours of MAGNUM's demise persisted. Stanway promptly toured Sweden with Lynott in a low-key tour of what was effectively a try out for a new line-up of THIN LIZZY.

Still, Clarkin, Catley, Lowe, Stanway and Gorin gave press statements that MAGNUM were still a going concern and intended to tour later in the year. However, as events turned out Stanway then teamed up with GRAND SLAM for a British tour.

At this point Kex Gorin left to join ROBIN GEORGE although his position was quickly filled by ex-HOOKER and BLOOMSBURY SET drummer Jim Simpson, whilst Stanway was replaced by THE ALLIANCE's Eddie George. Confusion reigned however when George left after two London Marquee gigs and his duties were once again assigned to Stanway!

1984 was to be the lowest point in MAGNUM's career. Catley briefly departed the ranks at one point with discussions being held as to his possibly joining BLACK SABBATH. Ever enduring though, MAGNUM signed a major publishing deal and then hooked up with Wolverhampton based Heavy Metal Records and released the excellent 'On A Storytellers Night' album, produced by Kit Woolven and bedecked with elaborate Rodney Matthews sleeve artwork.

The album contained numerous, soon-to-be MAGNUM classics, such as 'Les Morts Dansant' and 'How Far Jerusalem'. However, Clarkin was taken ill again midway through a British tour and his position was taken temporarily by former STAMPEDE and GRAND SLAM guitarist Laurence Archer.

With Clarkin fully recovered MAGNUM appeared twice on Channel 4's ill fated Rock programme ECT and toured heavily to promote the album, but not before Simpson had jumped ship to UFO, necessitating the recruitment of ex ITALIANS, ZOO Q and SECOND VISION drummer Mickey Barker.

MAGNUM's opening appearance at the 1984 Castle Donington festival fuelled rumours that the band had signed a major deal and sure enough they signed to Polydor shortly after. A major label gave MAGNUM the vital financial backing for recording budgets and touring they sorely needed. First offering on Polydor, 'Vigilante', was produced by no less than QUEEN drummer ROGER TAYLOR in Montreux. MAGNUM toured Britain as headliners no less than three times off the back of the successful 'Vigilante'.

Notably MAGNUM's classic track 'Les Morts Dansants' was re-worked by former SCANDAL vocalist PATTY SMITH, re-titled 'Call to Heaven' and included on her 1987 album 'Never Enough'. 1988's 'Wings Of Heaven' continued the trend with more hard touring and 'Top Of The Pops' appearances, giving MAGNUM their biggest selling album to date and deserved worldwide exposure. In their homeland 'Wings Of Heaven' reached the top five and in Sweden an amazing no. 2 position was attained. A British tour saw KINGDOM COME supporting.

The ensuing 'Goodnight L.A.' album, produced by Keith Olsen, featured for the first time outside songwriters such as Russ Ballard and Jim Vallance. It the album's release amazingly found Polydor seemingly tired of promoting the band! Despite this situation MAGNUM put in a highly creditable performance headlining the 1990 Cumbria Rock Festival, although record company politics became much worse when Polydor in America passed on the album. That same year Mark Stanway, in collaboration with brother Guy, put out a single 'Elected' credited simply to STANWAY.

In January of 1991 MAGNUM performed at the London Wembley Arena 'Great British Music Weekend', sharing a bill comprising THUNDER, DAVID COVERDALE, THE QUIREBOYS and OZZY OSBOURNE. Unfortunately, it came as no surprise when Polydor announced they had dropped MAGNUM from their roster after the release of the live album 'The Spirit', but MAGNUM's former A&R man had landed a job at EMI Records and so the band naturally moved to pastures new to record 1994's 'Rockart'. A European tour had British Trad Rockers LIONSHEART supporting.

MAGNUM then released albums on various labels, including an acoustic set with former label Jet Records as well as the 'Sleepwalking' album for Music For Nations as they struggled to maintain momentum. The 'Sleepwalking' album proved a fine effort and touring with support act MAMA'S BOYS proved MAGNUM still had an enviable following, although a farewell tour of britain was announced in late 1995.

However, as so often before, MAGNUM seemingly bounced back, securing a German deal with CBH Records for a live record. Shortly after Clarkin and Catley announced the formation of a new group HARD RAIN.

As the duo hit the recording studio for HARD RAIN's debut album, Mickey Barker joined new Pop Rockers HOLOGRAMS, a group that completed a successful support tour to MANFRED MANN in 1996. The same year Barker laid down the drums on veteran Southern Rockers MOLLY HATCHET's 'Devil's Canyon' album. Barker was to reunite with Catley and Clarkin as part of HARD RAIN's touring line-up.

Although happy with the HARD RAIN project, Bob Catley nevertheless recorded his debut solo album during 1998. Following the studio effort 'The Tower' an official 'Live Bootleg' album surfaced as HARD RAIN began work on a second album.

In early 1999 Clarkin ventured back into the studio once more, this time to contribute guest guitar on the MARSHALL LAW album 'Warning From History'. MAGNUM fans had more cause to dig into their pockets in 2000 when the Zoom Club label unearthed a rare set of live tapes 'Days Of Wonder' culled from a 1976 Birmingham Railway gig.

With the disintegration of HARD RAIN rumours abounded regarding a possible MAGNUM reformation. Catley issued a further solo album 'Legend' in the classic MAGNUM mould working with TEN guitarist VINNIE BURNS.

Clarkin and Catley finally regrouped MAGNUM in mid 2001 recording a comeback album 'Breath Of Life' for the German SPV label. In January of 2002 it would be announced that MAGNUM's new drummer was none other than the high profile figure of ex-THUNDER man Harry James. Released in February initial copies of 'Breath Of Life' came complete with a bonus six track live CD. Thankfully for their fans MAGNUM backed up the release with a full blown UK and European tour. TYLA would lend support for the British dates. MAGNUM's scheduled European summer 2002 festival dates would be cancelled when guitarist Tony Clarkin fell ill, suffering a heart attack just after an appearance at the 'Sweden Rock' festival. The guitarist duly made a full recovery and MAGNUM announced tour plans for the UK in December, supported by KICK. Meantime, Mark Stanway joined THE DOGS D'AMOUR for their Winter 2004 UK 'Heart-Shaped' tour.

To mark the twentieth anniversary of their classic 'On A Storytellers Night' album MAGNUM put in two April 2005 back to back shows at the Wulfrun Hall in Wolverhampton and London's Astoria. Both shows would feature the entire album and be filmed for DVD release. With Harry James obligated to THUNDER live dates MAGNUM pulled in Jimmy Copley to cover on drums, a scene veteran of M3, PAUL RODGERS and TONY IOMMI. That same year, leading German Power Metal band EDGUY covered 'The Spirit' on their 'Superheroes' EP.

Harry James featured as part of DEEP PURPLE singer IAN GILLAN's live band for an appearance at the prestigious Royal Albert Hall on 31st March 2006. The show, backed by the SCORPIONS, JUDAS PRIEST and BONED, was held in tribute to the late Radio One DJ Tommy Vance, host of 'The Friday Rock Show' and to benefit the Teenage Cancer Trust.

MAGNUM revealed a working title of ' Princess Alice And The Broken Arrow' as a new album title in August.

Credit/s: Garry Sharpe-Young
Copyright: © 2001-2006 Musicdetector Websites
Last updated: 29 augustus 2006
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

10.09.2006 - 00:12
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Today I saw one video of this abnd in VH1 Classic and my opinium are its boring and nothibng special one hit wounder band, I hawnt hear albums, but still I dunno if albums can be better how that song
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
10.09.2006 - 00:55
Dam3k
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 09.09.2006 at 20:45

Written by Dam3k on 05.09.2006 at 02:08

Well, they were never really big in the eighties either.
I remember never having any trouble getting tickets to their shows back then. Could show at the door and there would still be tickets. But yeah hell of a great band. Nice melodic semi-neo-progressive rock metal. Somehow reminded me of a more audience friendly version of Marillion. And I always had a softspot for Bob Catley's vocals. Nice melody lines.

Ye ye, I realized that they weren't that famous but I don't know why I think they have several catchy tunes... =), I discovered them in a old school metal recopilation, they are cool, but as I supossed only the old-metalheads of the web knows them =) (I mean u are not old at all... but u understood I think )
----

08.01.2008 - 09:57
Vinnie R.
Chido Chido
Bob Catley, one of the greatest singers, sadly i only have the "On a storyteller's night" CD. But is awesome, i love the song "Just like an arrow" Very Catchy!
29.02.2008 - 22:18
marillionfan
Account deleted
great band, their early works are even a bit progressive - their 70s work is great, even their AOR-ish stuff is great; Ieven say that they're an underrrated/underappreciated band, they surely deserved better.
01.03.2008 - 18:04
Hellish Star
Great band with several awesome album. My favorite one is "On as storytellers night". These guys deserved to be labeled as metal and deserve a place in the melodic metal forum...
----
www.myspace.com/hellishstar

Metal To Infiity Webzine: http://users.telenet.be/metaltoinfinity/MTIindex.htm