Metal Storm logo
Down

19.06.2006 - 08:28
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
Well, is anyone a fan of this bluesy, Rock/Metal "supergroup?" I, for one am. I really enjoy Southern sounding bands like Black Label Society, Alice in Chains (yes, I know they were from Seattle), Crowbar, Lynyrd Skynyrd, CCR (a bit) and the like. I enjoy their material from both albums, and as I sit here and listen to "Eyes of the South" on their myspace, I definitely need to pick up their albums. I have seen their debut at Music Warehouse before and when I get paid this Thursday, it's mine! Anyway, is anyone a fan? Really fanastic material.

By the way, I was never a huge Pantera fan, but Anselmo's vocals really impress me, not to mention just the awesome instrumentation. Wicked.
----
The force will be with you, always.
19.06.2006 - 09:13
Ur-Nammu
Account deleted
I would situate this thread in the alternative metal forum, given that I'd classify Down as stoner, but hey

Good band though, Anselmo's voice is a perfect stoner voice, and all that blues-soaked, drug-induced riffing they got going on... Good stuff.
20.06.2006 - 13:02
Troll
Account deleted
One of my favourite band! I love both their CD's and I hope their coming record is at the same level as the previous. I saw ém on their Europe-tour last month, amazing!
20.06.2006 - 15:01
Darth Satanious
Post Destroyer
@Troll:

I did not know they were going to release another record since Phil Anselmo assured that he would focus only in his new project, Superjoint Ritual. Now that I looked for more information, I see that it was Jimmy Bower who mentions this at the Metal Maniacs magazine.

I have both their albums. Their first one, "NOLA" (which is a short for New Orleans Louisiana, a word used for the local Doom Metal scene there) has these great songs such as "Temptation's Wings" and "Stone The Crow" (my personal favorite). Their second album: "II: A Bustle In Your Hedgerow", has other magnificent songs such as "There's Something On My Side", "Stained Glass Cross" and "Beautifully Depressed". Their music is Sludge Metal with Blues and Country influences.
----
Christless
21.06.2006 - 01:38
samael06
Account deleted
I'm glad Super Joint Ritual was also brought up. Because if you like Down you gotta check out SJR. I also heard that Phil would be taking some time off from Down and concentrate more on SJR. In fact, the report that I read (I forgot where) stated that the future of Down is right now in limbo. Hope that's wrong and that Troll is right.

27.06.2006 - 09:15
Endoftherainbow
Down has just recently played some shows so it would seem Phil is focusing on them. Down is one of my favorite bands Phil Anselmo is a fantanstic vocalist and fits the music so well. I can't get enough of their sludgy riffs their amazing. they're another one of those bands that just play straight forward kick ass metal with no bullshit. With members from Pantera, EyeHateGod, and Corrosion of Conformity though I would expect nothing less. My favorite Down album is II and my favorite songs are Staind Glass Cross, Stone The Crow, New Orleans Is A Dying Whore, Ghost Along the Mississippi, Temptations Wings, and Lysergik Funeral Procession. Anyone who likes Stoner Metal at all should check this band out.
07.07.2006 - 06:54
lordz
IzZo
Phil is the man
Nola is a great album that any metal head should own
the second CD was not better than the first one imo

i'm pretty optimistic that if these guys work on something new they would hit us with a classic
07.07.2006 - 07:11
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Yep, Down is pretty fucking sweet. Nola is great, but I don't particularly care for II. I don't remember why...it's been a while since I listened to II.
08.07.2006 - 08:49
Nickwillnotbe
I really like Down. (I have a snazzy Down logo patch on my jacket to prove it ;P) Nola was a great CD for me. The sludgy riffs and Phil's vocals just fit perfectly. I love pretty much every song on that CD. Down II didn't really make me feel the same way. It seemed that the vocal style had changed and the riffs were less sludgy and heavy. It was still a decent disc but eh, it just wasn't the same. I really hope they go back to their Nola sound.
12.09.2006 - 02:04
CianideDeath
Account deleted
I like Down II the best. It is really awesome catchy and heavy. Where did you get your down patch?
12.09.2006 - 06:10
thefadedline
Down are a damn cool band. I got to see them in May luckily. The gig sold out but I found some tickets on eBay for a good price too. They put on a great show. I think NOLA is a better album than Down II, mainly because NOLA was the first album I listened to by them so the songs have a stronger representation of who Down are to me. But some of the stuff on Down II is great (Ghosts Along The Mississippi especially).

I hear they are recording Down III right now. I wonder what it'll be like. There always seems to be years inbetween Down albums.
----
Relax and let the seat take the battery
12.09.2006 - 06:46
Winter Death
Account deleted
I haven't listened to them in awhile but I definitely prefer "II" over "NOLA." Just a whole lot of great song writing and performing. Nothing too flashy, just good music.
13.09.2006 - 01:10
CianideDeath
Account deleted
I hope Down III is more like II then Nola. Don't get me wrong I like Nola but I love the grittiness of II more. Ghosts along the Mississippi, Learn from my Mistakes and New Orleans is a Dying Whore are my favourites
13.09.2006 - 07:23
Winter Death
Account deleted
Written by [user id=5281] on 13.09.2006 at 01:10

I hope Down III is more like II then Nola. Don't get me wrong I like Nola but I love the grittiness of II more. Ghosts along the Mississippi, Learn from my Mistakes and New Orleans is a Dying Whore are my favourites

I agree. The great thing about Down II is the evolution from NOLA. The band didn't just rehash the same material for their sophomore outing. Instead the band improved in every area and produced an album totally unique and independent from their first. If Down continues this evolution, than Down III will be one kickass record.
14.09.2006 - 01:10
CianideDeath
Account deleted
We can only hope
18.09.2006 - 00:40
Nickwillnotbe
@CianideDeath

Sorry for the late reply. I got my Down patch from an ebay store. I honestly can't remember what user I purchased it from though. If I somehow stumble upon that information, I'll let you know.
17.10.2006 - 13:53
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
I dunno about what band you talk but only band what I know whit same name are from USA and play some kind a sluge metal and I had hear only album ''Nola'' but Im not shore if its wright band
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
21.01.2007 - 06:31
Darth Satanious
Post Destroyer
@Kariasakis7:

It must be.

I just read that the band is planning to re-release the first album, NOLA, with Rex playing bass instead of their former bass player Todd Strange (strange last name if it comes to be real). Additionally, they are planning to re-release a remastered version of the second full-length, what means that you people that haven't bought this album yet must hurry in buying it before the quality of the recordings improves even more.
----
Christless
21.01.2007 - 11:18
rebelos
Account deleted
Down is a great stoner band!
nola is awesome! my favorite tracks are Stone The Crow, Bury Me In Smoke and Eyes Of The South
13.02.2007 - 07:35
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Im going to see them next month opening for Megadeth and Black Sabbath (Dio Sabbath). But I dont really know much about them and I would like to know a few of there songs going into the concert, any recomendations?
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
15.03.2007 - 08:58
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
I just came back from heaven & hell and Down were supposed to open, but Phil was sick, but I did have the honor of meeting Rex Brown, and he signed my denim vest!
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
25.03.2007 - 00:56
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Quite a good band, like their Nola. Better than 'II', at least. The vocals of Phil are definatly perfect for this album! If they would've continued Pantera with this kind of vocals it surely wouldn't be as great.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
25.09.2007 - 06:27
Bitter Dawn
Ave Sathanas!
New album out tomorrow! I was finally able to acquire today though, but I've only made it to the second song and thus far it sound's good.
25.09.2007 - 22:10
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Looking forward to it!
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
27.09.2007 - 04:38
APOHAKC
The Bard
I was considering getting Down tattoo some time ago, and then friend came and show me his Down tattoo, anyway, awesome band, one of my favorites, especially first album, the new one - sucks!
----
They say that we are gone but I can't let you down
The heathen faith will rise again we won't fail now
I know we cannot die forever is our time
Give my people back to me free from Christianity!!!!
27.09.2007 - 05:03
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
Elite
I was turned onto this band this summer and I have to say, rather impressive. It made for some great chill metal for our weekly Garge Nights this summer.
----
(space for rent)
17.12.2007 - 09:43
CrypticMyth
Metal Scientist
I've only heard NOLA and it kicks a lot of ass. I love the opening to Stone The Crow as well as the magnum opus closer - Bury Me In Smoke. All the songs have the typical stoner meets southerner vibe going on and Anselmo fucking nails it. I never liked Pantera but you have to give it to Phil on Down. I really need to pick up the other albums I think...
----
"You're all the same, the lot of you, with your long hair and faggot clothes. Drugs, sex, every sort of filth. And you hate the police, don't you? You make it easy."
20.12.2007 - 00:13
Lowelas OF FIRE
Account deleted
Oh I love Down! Great to listen to when you are depressed and/or having drinks. I have all 3 of their albums! But I lost II , where the fvck is it?!
29.01.2008 - 23:29
soulonfire
Account deleted
Anyone notice how this band isn't listed on this website?
21.02.2008 - 03:18
SlaytallicA
Lycanthropy
I prefer Superjoint Ritual... For me Down is to danm calm, I like Phil screaming!!
----
One Pound Of Flesh, No More No Less, No Cartilage, No Bones, But Only Flesh...