Metal Storm logo
Symphony X

Original post

Posted by Endoftherainbow, 17.05.2006 - 05:23
One of my favorite Progressive Metal bands Symphony X has released nothing but great albums their entire career my favorite being the Divine Wings of Tragedy. Michael Romeo is a great neo-classical guitar player and can sweep extremely well. Michael LePond is also a very talented bass player with a great style and often uses techniques in their songs such as tapping. Michael Pinella the keyboard player is also amazing and sometimes samples great classical pieces in their songs. The drumming by Jason Rullo is also very unique and I find it easy to tell a Symphony X song from other bands similar to them by his drumming alone. Then there's Russell Allen who is my favorite Prog singer he has such a great voice and it really suites the music. In my opinion Symphony X is one of the top Progressive Metal bands around today and are far superior to Dream Theater.
05.06.2009 - 04:38
Ag Fox
Angel No More
Elite
Well... a 24 minute track isn't the easiest thing to get into lol
----
loves 小巫
29.07.2009 - 18:18
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
No news from these guys? It's about time they release a new album, they are probably working on that.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
30.07.2009 - 19:27
Ag Fox
Angel No More
Elite
Considering how long "paradise Lost" took, maybe not so soon >:
----
loves 小巫
31.07.2009 - 22:22
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
I hope you're wrong though. 5 years is a lot.
----

My Instagram
02.08.2009 - 02:48
Bolt Thrower
Account deleted
King of Terrors is such a great track. Not to mention they have probably the best album artwork in the business.
07.08.2009 - 07:36
Warlock84
An amazing band all around. Paradise Lost was incredible, and by far my favorite of their releases. Unfortunately I have missed them every time they have come around since I first started listening to them... so I certainly hope a new release is on it's way, or at least another tour. I would really love to see them live.
----
All we are is the passion that burns inside us
21.09.2009 - 16:17
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by BloodTears on 29.07.2009 at 18:18

No news from these guys? It's about time they release a new album, they are probably working on that.

ha, i like these guys too did you expect that?

i love their music, my favorite songs probably being Rapture or Pain and Orion, i love how Romeo is a cross between Dimebag, Malmsteen(check out the beginning of Inferno, now that is a dime-malmsteen mix if i've ever heard one) and Petrucci while playing about 10 riffs per minute. eggsellent.

also i noticed this recently, but all you Symphony X fans check out the song Sails of Charon by Scorpions, i find it has a very similar atmosphere to Symphony X's work, and the guitar work is pretty much what Romeo would have played if he went back to the 70s lol.
21.09.2009 - 18:09
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
Written by Valentin B on 21.09.2009 at 16:17

Written by BloodTears on 29.07.2009 at 18:18

ha, i like these guys too did you expect that?

i love their music, my favorite songs probably being Rapture or Pain and Orion, i love how Romeo is a cross between Dimebag, Malmsteen(check out the beginning of Inferno, now that is a dime-malmsteen mix if i've ever heard one) and Petrucci while playing about 10 riffs per minute. eggsellent.

also i noticed this recently, but all you Symphony X fans check out the song Sails of Charon by Scorpions, i find it has a very similar atmosphere to Symphony X's work, and the guitar work is pretty much what Romeo would have played if he went back to the 70s lol.

lol I reckon you have a good taste by now,.

Yes, Romeo is a bunch of guitar players at the same time, crazy playing but he can write beautiful melodies and solos as well. I kinda miss them though, they always spend so much time on their albums...
----

My Instagram
21.09.2009 - 21:03
Crème fraiche
As long as their new cd is as awesome as their previous efforts, I don't care how long they take to make it

Beats the hack bands that churn out a shit album every 2 years like clockwork.
21.09.2009 - 21:27
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by BloodTears on 21.09.2009 at 18:09

lol I reckon you have a good taste by now,.

Yes, Romeo is a bunch of guitar players at the same time, crazy playing but he can write beautiful melodies and solos as well. I kinda miss them though, they always spend so much time on their albums...

i'm full of surprises

am i the only one who caught the Cowboys from Hell reference in Orion?
21.10.2009 - 12:58
DrM
DreaMutilated
Written by Crème fraiche on 21.09.2009 at 21:03

As long as their new cd is as awesome as their previous efforts, I don't care how long they take to make it

Beats the hack bands that churn out a shit album every 2 years like clockwork.

Couldn't agree with you more!
01.11.2009 - 19:55
Angelic Storm
Melodious
I love Symphony X!

What I find amazing about them, is each consecutive album seems to be even better than the previous one! Michael Romeo is one of my guitar idols, and the whole band is just inasanely talented! Russell Allen is one of my fave singers, his voice is immense.

Apparently they are hoping to have their next album out next year. I won't hold my breath for that, but I'll be very pleased if it is! "Paradise Lost" was awesome, even though I had to wait five years for them to make the damn thing!
07.11.2009 - 00:27
His Eminence
Account deleted
Paradise Lost was absolutely amazing. It's definitely my favorite album that Symphony X has done so far. They're just one of those bands that keeps getting better in all aspects as each album is released.
07.11.2009 - 06:01
Valaskjalf
Account deleted
Yeah "Paradise Lost" sure was freekin awesome, still one of my favourite albums from them, maybe even a bit better than "The Odyssey"
09.11.2009 - 00:08
His Eminence
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 07.11.2009 at 06:01

Yeah "Paradise Lost" sure was freekin awesome, still one of my favourite albums from them, maybe even a bit better than "The Odyssey"

I agree with you. Even though the Odyssey has my favorite song by Symphony X (The Odyssey), Paradise Lost seemed better as a whole. Most every song on there is very strong...pretty much no filler.
20.11.2009 - 02:13
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat

SX is probably teh Only prog band I like... (Unless you count Mastodon as Prog, which would be as counting Tool as prog) Without being as pretentious as most prog guitar players are, playing a virtuous 28 minute solo that bores you to death.
----
"Nobody wants to be the weird kid, you just end up being the weird kid. You don't know how you ended up getting there" - Rob Zombie

http://jonas-bs.deviantart.com My dA, mainly photography, go check it out!
25.11.2009 - 00:06
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Written by +{Jonas}+ on 20.11.2009 at 02:13

SX is probably teh Only prog band I like... (Unless you count Mastodon as Prog, which would be as counting Tool as prog) Without being as pretentious as most prog guitar players are, playing a virtuous 28 minute solo that bores you to death.

I wouldn't say prog guitar players were pretentious. Seriously, who plays excessively long solos in prog? They sometimes make up excessively complex riffs and rhythms, but those can be fun at the same time.
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
26.01.2011 - 23:23
Hi Metal Storm community !
Just to let you know about the official French Website of Symphony x here :
www.symphonyx.comfr
and the facebook page http://www.facebook.com/SymphonyX.France
updates will follow with the coming events !
Symphony X Rulllz !
03.02.2011 - 22:44
Luneth
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 07.11.2009 at 06:01

I'd also concur, V: Thew New Mythology Suite and The Odyssey are masterpieces, but Paradise Lost just has a different, superior feel to it.
07.02.2011 - 23:45
Haven't heard much mention of V: the new mythology suite, such an epic album, and very different from the rest....If you guys haven't heard their live on the edge of forever, i highly reccommend it.
----
POWER METAL!!
07.02.2011 - 23:49
Baz Anderson
Staff
I consider both "V" and "Paradise Lost" to be quite a way better than "The Odyssey"...
08.02.2011 - 00:25
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Baz Anderson on 07.02.2011 at 23:49

I consider both "V" and "Paradise Lost" to be quite a way better than "The Odyssey"...

Only whatw orks for me is The Odyssey ... 1th song I heard in band in radio 365 some metal station it was 21 min long and only that album and song works for me , others dont so good .... but well Im a ''greek''
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
08.02.2011 - 00:53
Angelic Storm
Melodious
This is how Id personally place the Symphony X albums, in terms of my faves to least fave:

Paradise Lost
The Odyssey
The Damnation Game
The Divine Wings Of Tragedy
V
Twilight In Olympus
Symphony X
08.02.2011 - 12:37
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
Written by Angelic Storm on 08.02.2011 at 00:53

This is how Id personally place the Symphony X albums, in terms of my faves to least fave:

Paradise Lost
The Odyssey
The Damnation Game
The Divine Wings Of Tragedy
V
Twilight In Olympus
Symphony X

It's curious you like "The Damnation Game" so much. I think it deserves a lot more credit than people usually give it.
----

My Instagram
08.02.2011 - 12:57
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by BloodTears on 08.02.2011 at 12:37
It's curious you like "The Damnation Game" so much. I think it deserves a lot more credit than people usually give it.

To me at least, it's by far their most underrated album, and one of their best works too. It is true that most people dont hold it in as high esteem like say V or Divine Wings, but Ive never really got why. I think why I like it so much, is it manages to be very memorable and catchy overall, while still being complex if not as overtly so as some of the albums that came after it. I certainly love the album a lot, and see it as a real classic in it's genre, and for the band itself. Despite the majority of opinion regarding it as one of their weaker efforts.
11.02.2011 - 23:43
Xtopher
V is their best work hands down for me.
Then Divine Wings of Tragedy, and then Twilight in Olympus.
----
01.03.2011 - 04:08
thehondo
I have to agree with most critics and sites, top to bottom, Divine, Oddysey, V, Paradise Lost, Damnation, Twilight, Self-titled.
----
No time like the present
01.03.2011 - 05:24
Xtopher
What do you think about the new leaked song? and the new artwork?
im linking the song, although it cant be appreciated at its best from live footage.
at leats i can say that im glad keyboards are all over the song, Pinella is just a master.

----
01.03.2011 - 05:36
Kratos
The album cover looks cool and also interesting at the same time, but where did you find it? I haven't been able to find it at all over the web, never knew the even revealed it yet The song is but I am liking the song a lot. Can't wait to hear the whole CD.
01.03.2011 - 05:49
Angelic Storm
Melodious
That new song rocks! The new album's sure to be another winner for the Symphony X guys! xD