Metal Storm logo
Nightwish

Original post

Posted by Elodie Artour, 09.06.2008 - 16:12
Hey, guys! Don't you think it's high-time someone started a new topic about one of my favourite (and not only mine, actually) bands - Nightwish?

I adore them - both with Tarja and with Anette!

Well, I think there is not much for me to say, as I've already written most of the things I've wanted to.

So, feel free to discuss things, related to the topic 'Nightwish'.

P.S.: No arguing and offensing, please! Long ago, there have been rules added, which are meant to show what's not to do on this forum.
29.07.2008 - 14:18
Macedonia
Account deleted
By my opinion there is big difference between Tarja and the new girl. Tarja voice gave something special in their songs. The newer are without soul.
29.07.2008 - 14:43
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Author on 29.07.2008 at 14:18

By my opinion there is big difference between Tarja and the new girl. Tarja voice gave something special in their songs. The newer are without soul.

In some ways I agree whit you, IMO all bands has same thinks after line up changes and re union
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
30.07.2008 - 02:51
Fat & Sassy!
Elite
Written by Valentin B on 29.07.2008 at 00:55

wow... i can't even compare the song Amaranth to their old stuff, like maybe.. say a weak track...i mean fuck.. every song on Century Child and Oceanborn destroys this one(yes even Feel For You lol). did Tuomas invent that intro on the spot? it sounds cliche x 1000..

and i used to worship that dude

I THINK I read somewhere that Tuomas didn't want to put that song on the album... too poppy maybe?
30.07.2008 - 11:08
Sostoa
Well, what can I say...
I like both. I've seen them twice with Tarja and it was really great. Of course I wonder whether the things would change with Annete. I mean a line-up change, mostly if it's the singer, is always something to worry about. But when I saw them I was surprised. It was sold-out, something didn't happen last time with Tarja, and the show was great. I agree, she can't sing the same way Tarja did, but I think I could feel more fun in the band, the guys were really enjoying it. A reunion? I don't know, if Tarja really acted like a diva in the last times, I think it's difficult. Let's give a chance to Annete.
30.07.2008 - 11:24
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Fat & Sassy! on 30.07.2008 at 02:51

Written by Valentin B on 29.07.2008 at 00:55

wow... i can't even compare the song Amaranth to their old stuff, like maybe.. say a weak track...i mean fuck.. every song on Century Child and Oceanborn destroys this one(yes even Feel For You lol). did Tuomas invent that intro on the spot? it sounds cliche x 1000..

and i used to worship that dude

I THINK I read somewhere that Tuomas didn't want to put that song on the album... too poppy maybe?

that would certainly explain the crapiness of the song
05.08.2008 - 15:24
GT
Coffee!!
Staff
I finally got to see them live at Wacken and fortunately Anette sounds at lot less boring live than on cd, but I still miss Tarja on the old songs
----

Dreams are made so we don't get bored when we sleep
05.08.2008 - 17:52
Baz Anderson
Staff
I think a lot of people thought that from the Wacken show.. maybe it was just a bad night, I will see them again in a couple of weeks so I'll be able to see if she is like that all the time.
05.08.2008 - 20:44
GT
Coffee!!
Staff
Written by Baz Anderson on 05.08.2008 at 17:52

I think a lot of people thought that from the Wacken show.. maybe it was just a bad night, I will see them again in a couple of weeks so I'll be able to see if she is like that all the time.

Hehe I'm seeing them again in a couple of days, then I'll find out as well.

By the way I'm not saying she's a bad singer...just mediocre or something like that
----

12.08.2008 - 09:14
GT
Coffee!!
Staff
Now I wasn't too impressed by their performance at Wacken but they certainly convinced me with their show at Skanderborg Festival last week...even Anette. It was just very very good...she even hit some higher notes perfectly! and instead of the very criticised "pop-moves" we got to see her head-banging. She was also very talkative and had the crowd where she wanted us All in all: One of my best concerts!
----

12.08.2008 - 10:16
Jason W.
Razorbliss
Staff
Written by GT on 12.08.2008 at 09:14

Now I wasn't too impressed by their performance at Wacken but they certainly convinced me with their show at Skanderborg Festival last week...even Anette. It was just very very good...she even hit some higher notes perfectly! and instead of the very criticised "pop-moves" we got to see her head-banging. She was also very talkative and had the crowd where she wanted us All in all: One of my best concerts!

Interesting

I may have to rethink my decision to go or to not go to the Nightwish show on the 30th of this month. They are the only reason I'd go to the show, and I still really enjoy about 2/3 of the Dark Passion Play disc and listen to it quite frequently. I am a big fan of Anette (even the dancing ) but her performance last year was only okay. I'd love to see her on such a good night as you describe!
----
"After silence that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music." - Aldous Huxley
12.08.2008 - 14:35
Evican
Ann O'War
As Anette feels more comfortable with the band and her role she will get better. I saw them in February and Anette's voice was really worn out, it would not have been used to such an extensive tour schedule before. So it is logical to say that as her voice becomes more accustom to being used as much as it has been and will be in the future, she will sound better live.

So watch out for the next album, she will sound better than ever, not only that but the songs will also be written for her voice this time rather than her singing songs that were already written.
12.08.2008 - 14:36
Warman
Erotic Stains
The problem for me is that Anette has a great voice, she just doesn't have a Nightwish voice.
----
12.08.2008 - 14:50
GT
Coffee!!
Staff
Written by Jason W. on 12.08.2008 at 10:16

Written by GT on 12.08.2008 at 09:14

Interesting

I may have to rethink my decision to go or to not go to the Nightwish show on the 30th of this month. They are the only reason I'd go to the show, and I still really enjoy about 2/3 of the Dark Passion Play disc and listen to it quite frequently. I am a big fan of Anette (even the dancing ) but her performance last year was only okay. I'd love to see her on such a good night as you describe!

Oh you would be missing out if she has a night like the one I experienced, but again I wasn't impressed by the Wacken show...but it might have been due to the size of the two. Skanderborg is only about 40000 people and we were no more than a good 5000 at the concert I think...Wacken might have been to big for her (only guessing here).

@Warman: actually her performance of Dark Chest Of Wonders were 98% as good Tarja's version...so I think she's still learning
----

12.08.2008 - 14:55
Warman
Erotic Stains
Written by GT on 12.08.2008 at 14:50

@Warman: actually her performance of Dark Chest Of Wonders were 98% as good Tarja's version...so I think she's still learning

Maybe, and I actually liked her version of that song when I saw them live. But for me Tarja is just as important for Nightwish as... Micke Åkerfeldt is for Opeth. When she left I became one of those dudes who just couldn't accept Blaze Bayley as a replacement for Bruce Dickinson. I know some guys who were fans back then, they thought Blaze were good, but not Iron Maiden. And that's the case for me when it comes to Nightwish.
----
12.08.2008 - 15:04
GT
Coffee!!
Staff
Written by Warman on 12.08.2008 at 14:55

Maybe, and I actually liked her version of that song when I saw them live. But for me Tarja is just as important for Nightwish as... Micke Åkerfeldt is for Opeth. When she left I became one of those dudes who just couldn't accept Blaze Bayley as a replacement for Bruce Dickinson. I know some guys who were fans back then, they thought Blaze were good, but not Iron Maiden. And that's the case for me when it comes to Nightwish.

Hehe that's fair enough and I felt exactly the same way...until last Thursday after the show, then she had me convinced that she was "good enough" for the band.
----

12.08.2008 - 22:18
Fat & Sassy!
Elite
Written by Warman on 12.08.2008 at 14:55

Now, what if Blaze was Nightwish's vocalist?!
13.08.2008 - 12:50
GT
Coffee!!
Staff
@ FrankZappaInATux: now that would be weird...and probably quite funny as well
----

13.08.2008 - 14:02
Macedonia
Account deleted
Written by Warman on 12.08.2008 at 14:36

The problem for me is that Anette has a great voice, she just doesn't have a Nightwish voice.

I agree. She can not perform the old Nightwish songs as Tarja.
13.08.2008 - 21:36
Fat & Sassy!
Elite
Written by Author on 13.08.2008 at 14:02

Well, you are exactly right. That's because they are two completely different people...

Wait a second. Are you implying that Tarja is posing as Anette and will come back next album as Tarja! Madness!
13.08.2008 - 22:24
Macedonia
Account deleted
Written by Fat & Sassy! on 13.08.2008 at 21:36

Well, you are exactly right. That's because they are two completely different people...

Wait a second. Are you implying that Tarja is posing as Anette and will come back next album as Tarja! Madness!

I really dont understand you
14.08.2008 - 21:59
Fat & Sassy!
Elite
Written by Author on 13.08.2008 at 22:24

Written by Fat & Sassy! on 13.08.2008 at 21:36

I really dont understand you

The feeling is mutual, my friend. You posted (as I have quoted) that Annete "can not perform the old Nightwish songs AS TARJA". What you meant (I think), is that she can't perform the songs AS WELL as Tarja. I was being a sarcastic smart ass with my comment.
14.08.2008 - 22:56
Macedonia
Account deleted
It is ok.just my english is not so good to understand that. I must learn more.....
15.08.2008 - 17:37
Janne
Hugin
i understand that tarja must leave nightwish but why do they replaced her with a pop singer(anette)? she hasn't got an opera voice, but something like amerivan pop bitches who are only dancing under their music...
Despite this Nightwish's music is still good.
----
age]

-FOLK METAL HUNGARY-
15.08.2008 - 18:15
Ernis
狼獾
Written by Janne on 15.08.2008 at 17:37

i understand that tarja must leave nightwish but why do they replaced her with a pop singer(anette)? she hasn't got an opera voice, but something like amerivan pop bitches who are only dancing under their music...

So you want to say that anything that is not opera style is pop? Sorry, if they'd taken another operatic vocalist, Nightwish's quality would've dropped a lot...I heard Floor Jansen covering Nightwish, and as much as Floor does fine as the lead vocalist of After Forever, she sounds weaker as an opera singer compared to Tarja....only ones who could've replaced Tarja would've been Melissa Ferlaak, Lori Lewis or yeh...Brightman....

Anette is a very fine rock vocalist (and yes why not pop vocalist as well....she sang in an ABBA tribute act and as we all know ABBA may be a pop band but pop doesn't equal crap...ABBA's music is technically well performed, it's a symbol of a particular era and the songs themselves are composed very brilliantly and ABBA's music is (believe it or not) quite difficult for singers to perform which means that only a trained and strong voiced singers are able to sing these songs with quality....and Anette has indeed stated that the experience with ABBA songs has helped her a lot in preparation for the role as the lead vocalist of Nightwish)...

Many many contemporary "pop bitches" would never ever be able to sing such high quality music....That should prove that Anette is indeed a fine singer (yes I've seen bad quality videos of her and I've seen broadcasts of her singing in Australia where her voice did seem rough but that was because she was ill...happened to Tarja too...) plus I've seen her live twice by now and I must say again, she knows how to enchant the audiences and I'd say that some Tarja-songs suit her better than the current ones from DPP....plus she adds new dimensions and colours to some songs which were left unnoticed when Tarja performed these....A plus for Anette in the beginning of their tour was that while Tarja was strict and (as I've seen from the live videos of hers) always tended to perform the songs flawlessly and more or less exactly like they sounded on the albums....Anette on the other hand made every single performance unique by contacting the audience, by bringing out some shades, some passages, some notes that you maybe didn't catch before....in fewer words, every show she introduced the audience to something new...

I am very glad the band continued with non-operatic singer this time....This was indeed a right step....I know how important a vocalist is and the way the singer performs and the change of a vocalist indeed is a big and bold step but just look at the Gathering (shift from male death grunts to male clean vocals and then to clean female vocals)...the result after all was positive...

Nightwish indeed may have founded the style where an operatic singer fronts a metal band but you've got to admit that at the moment there's a huge pile of such bands and a great deal of'em are rather low quality....Nightwish tribute and fan videos where beginner pretty-girl singers try to aim the operatic vocals and the result is really poor...why? That ain't got any point at all....
Some say that Nightwish has adopted the style of Within Temptation now...yes, Anette may have a similar voice with Sharon (a bit) but the music of Nightwish is something that cannot be copied that easily and together with Anette's voice it creates a relatively strong and fine atmosphere...
Dead To The World is a good song where Anette proved she can hit higher notes with very clear voice...
Nightwish isn't defined by operatic vocals....they created a particular style and now they moved on to make something new....and that new is after all the undiscovered old....
15.08.2008 - 18:31
Janne
Hugin
Written by Ernis on 15.08.2008 at 18:15

Written by Janne on 15.08.2008 at 17:37

So you want to say that anything that is not opera style is pop? Sorry, if they'd taken another operatic vocalist, Nightwish's quality would've dropped a lot...I heard Floor Jansen covering Nightwish, and as much as Floor does fine as the lead vocalist of After Forever, she sounds weaker as an opera singer compared to Tarja....only ones who could've replaced Tarja would've been Melissa Ferlaak, Lori Lewis or yeh...Brightman....

Anette is a very fine rock vocalist (and yes why not pop vocalist as well....she sang in an ABBA tribute act and as we all know ABBA may be a pop band but pop doesn't equal crap...ABBA's music is technically well performed, it's a symbol of a particular era and the songs themselves are composed very brilliantly and ABBA's music is (believe it or not) quite difficult for singers to perform which means that only a trained and strong voiced singers are able to sing these songs with quality....and Anette has indeed stated that the experience with ABBA songs has helped her a lot in preparation for the role as the lead vocalist of Nightwish)...

Many many contemporary "pop bitches" would never ever be able to sing such high quality music....That should prove that Anette is indeed a fine singer (yes I've seen bad quality videos of her and I've seen broadcasts of her singing in Australia where her voice did seem rough but that was because she was ill...happened to Tarja too...) plus I've seen her live twice by now and I must say again, she knows how to enchant the audiences and I'd say that some Tarja-songs suit her better than the current ones from DPP....plus she adds new dimensions and colours to some songs which were left unnoticed when Tarja performed these....A plus for Anette in the beginning of their tour was that while Tarja was strict and (as I've seen from the live videos of hers) always tended to perform the songs flawlessly and more or less exactly like they sounded on the albums....Anette on the other hand made every single performance unique by contacting the audience, by bringing out some shades, some passages, some notes that you maybe didn't catch before....in fewer words, every show she introduced the audience to something new...

I am very glad the band continued with non-operatic singer this time....This was indeed a right step....I know how important a vocalist is and the way the singer performs and the change of a vocalist indeed is a big and bold step but just look at the Gathering (shift from male death grunts to male clean vocals and then to clean female vocals)...the result after all was positive...

Nightwish indeed may have founded the style where an operatic singer fronts a metal band but you've got to admit that at the moment there's a huge pile of such bands and a great deal of'em are rather low quality....Nightwish tribute and fan videos where beginner pretty-girl singers try to aim the operatic vocals and the result is really poor...why? That ain't got any point at all....
Some say that Nightwish has adopted the style of Within Temptation now...yes, Anette may have a similar voice with Sharon (a bit) but the music of Nightwish is something that cannot be copied that easily and together with Anette's voice it creates a relatively strong and fine atmosphere...
Dead To The World is a good song where Anette proved she can hit higher notes with very clear voice...
Nightwish isn't defined by operatic vocals....they created a particular style and now they moved on to make something new....and that new is after all the undiscovered old....

okay, anette is a good singer, i didn't say she's not talented but she isn't fit to Nightwish imo. her voice would sound great for example in Lunatica. i heard she moves very well on stage in live but it's not important for me, because it's not the point of metal. and I know a nightwish tribute band which can copy Tarja's voice the same level. maybe my problem is that I haven't listened nightwish much enough to get bored of it and i wasn't ready for new things...
----
age]

-FOLK METAL HUNGARY-
15.08.2008 - 18:39
MathC
Account deleted
Nightwish was already going downhill way before Tarja left so I don't really mind whoever they choose as a singer nowadays.
15.08.2008 - 18:50
Janne
Hugin
Written by Author on 15.08.2008 at 18:39

Nightwish was already going downhill way before Tarja left so I don't really mind whoever they choose as a singer nowadays.

Nightwish wasn't going downhill, why do you say that? nightwish isn't going to downlhill nor now.
----
age]

-FOLK METAL HUNGARY-
15.08.2008 - 18:54
MathC
Account deleted
The last good album they released was Wishmaster. And that was 8 years ago.
15.08.2008 - 18:58
Janne
Hugin
Written by Author on 15.08.2008 at 18:54

The last good album they released was Wishmaster. And that was 8 years ago.

No, that was the last PERFECT album they released. since then they "only" release brilliant albums
----
age]

-FOLK METAL HUNGARY-
15.08.2008 - 19:27
MathC
Account deleted
brilliantly boring, yes