Metal Storm logo
What I hate about my country

Original post

Posted by Valentin B, 19.08.2008 - 14:32
new thread! something i don't like about Romania is the fact that compared to other countries there are some really expensive shit, at least relative to the normal salary(mostly the utility prices) and of course the EXPENSIVE stuff(musical instruments , PC software and IT stuff like I-pods, playstations etc.), of course music albums goes without saying, they're ridiculously expensive, and then there's really cheap stuff(mostly food, which compensates with low quality).. you can't be sure of anything here!

haterz hate on!
02.03.2012 - 18:30
Milena
gloom cookie
Staff
So apparently, our promoters have decided Serbia needs more concerts, and out of some 9 bands (Ozzy, Shittallica and their guests, plus Guns n'Roses on Exit Festival) that will come, I like... approximately none, yay :/

Ozzy? Should have been Black Sabbath, but I guess that's fucked worldwide. With him he's bringing Black Label Society *yawn*, The Cult *probably playing around 5 songs I listened to when I was 11*, Satyricon *all the black metallers in Serbia, ALL 50 of them are pretty thrilled, to be fair*, Paradise Lost *guess that's decent* and Slash... and probably some other band which is so exciting I've forgotten all about it.

Craptallica (sorry, can't help it) is bringing Gojira - I've heard they're good, but even if I did hop on the bandwagon and take a listen just because they were coming around, the ticket is a bit pricy to go to see just one of the opening acts - and Machine Head. Too bad the thrasher in me is nonexistent...

And finally we've got Axl Burger and his mates on the only festival in the country - no need to say it's overpriced and shit, although foreigners seem to be having a blast on it - sorry lads, if I wanted to see you, I would have went to the individual show back in 2010.
----
7.0 means the album is good
02.03.2012 - 23:14
Ernis
็‹ผ็พ
Another wonderful example of the justice in Estonia...

Sharing music files: 8 months

Murdering your wife: 6 months... well... it was an accident... I mean, he didn't know that stabbing her in that particular artery would cause death... I mean... it wasn't the first time he stabbed her, it was a normal routine in the family. She had survived all the previous stabbings, so he didn't realise that this one could be fatal...

That's why wives who suffer because of their violent husbands are completely helpless. They are afraid. They know that nobody will ever protect them. And only when they're already dead, the bastard who did this to them, gets a punishment... such as 6 months free food and housing plus 18 months probation... I mean... the husband didn't think she'd die... usually the women get up again...
05.03.2012 - 19:43
Slayer666
Written by Milena on 02.03.2012 at 18:30

Satyricon *all the black metallers in Serbia, ALL 50 of them are pretty thrilled, to be fair*

Sweet. Fucking. Jesus.
I don't particularly care for most of their live setlist, as a lot of tracks come from the terribad new albums, but hearing "Mother North" live is well worth wading through all the crap.

Quote:

Paradise Lost *guess that's decent*

That's great too. I mean, they are kinda shitty live, but their setlists got pretty decent recently. Plus, when you live in Serbia, you can't really be picky about this shit.
05.03.2012 - 20:59
Milena
gloom cookie
Staff
Written by Slayer666 on 05.03.2012 at 19:43

Plus, when you live in Serbia, you can't really be picky about this shit.

I know, but going to an 8-hour show to see just one band whose old albums I vaguely like while being in a shit-ass financial situation (mom's taken the time off because of illness, so now she's receiving only 65% of her paycheck)... not worth it. Should really save that money to go to Metalcamp, but that is pretty much just a distant hope... if I'm going to ask for money for anything, it better be worth it, since right now I pretty much need every penny I can spare.
----
05.03.2012 - 21:39
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by Ernis on 18.02.2012 at 22:22

Ok good people... here we go! Estonia, a wonderful country whose politicians can't wait to accept ACTA.

kills three people.
Punishment - Three months in prison.

Well who do you hate most...?
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
06.03.2012 - 16:23
Spirit Molecule
spirit molecule
Written by Milena on 02.03.2012 at 18:30

Craptallica (sorry, can't help it) is bringing Gojira - I've heard they're good, but even if I did hop on the bandwagon and take a listen just because they were coming around, the ticket is a bit pricy to go to see just one of the opening acts - and Machine Head. Too bad the thrasher in me is nonexistent...

I would definitely go for Gojira no matter what. I would prefer them to headline as it would be way better than a support slot. I'm sure serbia doesn't have it as bad as india with regard to touring bands. I'm sure you get quite quite a few bands touring through there.

The last band I saw here was Opeth which was cool. Before that was Metallica, which I missed as I was in Europe, no biggie, but I would have liked to have been there to play with my band support, before that was Karnivool, which I was quited bummed about missing.

Most of the bands that come down I'm not a fan off, but I go anyway coz tickets aren't to expensive and it usually ends up with you getting drunk or stoned eventually, so its just a fun night.
----
If you never wake up from a dream does it become reality?

Last fm
Don't click here
06.03.2012 - 16:39
Milena
gloom cookie
Staff
Written by Spirit Molecule on 06.03.2012 at 16:23

I'm sure you get quite quite a few bands touring through there.

Most of the bands that come down I'm not a fan off, but I go anyway coz tickets aren't to expensive and it usually ends up with you getting drunk or stoned eventually, so its just a fun night.

No, we don't...
And I don't go to concerts unless I at least like the band, since I never get drunk nor stoned, and it is a bit expensive, not to mention organizing the trip from my hometown to Belgrade... which can either include getting enough people to rent a van to wait for our return from the show, or finding some place to stay during the night - the buss station or some coffee shop or something - because there are no night busses to my hometown.

Of course I find that a money spent on concerts is money good spent, that all hassle is worth it, and I'm always eager to go when we get one of those rare visits of bands I like... I just find it absurd that out of the abundance of bands coming now, I like none. I'd go to Metallica if we weren't in a shit financial situation right now, but since I'm not particularly crazy about any of the bands, I won't be sorry when I miss it.
----
06.03.2012 - 19:27
Spirit Molecule
spirit molecule
Written by Milena on 06.03.2012 at 16:39

No, we don't...
And I don't go to concerts unless I at least like the band, since I never get drunk nor stoned, and it is a bit expensive, not to mention organizing the trip from my hometown to Belgrade... which can either include getting enough people to rent a van to wait for our return from the show, or finding some place to stay during the night - the buss station or some coffee shop or something - because there are no night busses to my hometown.

Of course I find that a money spent on concerts is money good spent, that all hassle is worth it, and I'm always eager to go when we get one of those rare visits of bands I like... I just find it absurd that out of the abundance of bands coming now, I like none. I'd go to Metallica if we weren't in a shit financial situation right now, but since I'm not particularly crazy about any of the bands, I won't be sorry when I miss it.

Ah, well I thought most european cities had a pretty decent music scene, oh well my bad. I wouldn't go to a concert if I didn't like the bands and I had to travel for it. I live in a city where most bands coming down to india play at, so I generally don't have to travel for it. Also most of the gigs I do go for tend to be coz I might be playing as well.
Metallica was really expensive here as well, compared to normal ticket prices. I was wondering whether I should spend that much on it, luckily I wasn't in India at the time, but I spent almost twice the amount on a mastodon ticket in Stockholm and I didn't think twice about it. Does serbia have a lot of venues for bands?
----

Last fm
Don't click here
06.03.2012 - 19:42
Milena
gloom cookie
Staff
Written by Spirit Molecule on 06.03.2012 at 19:27

Ah, well I thought most european cities had a pretty decent music scene, oh well my bad. I wouldn't go to a concert if I didn't like the bands and I had to travel for it. I live in a city where most bands coming down to india play at, so I generally don't have to travel for it. Also most of the gigs I do go for tend to be coz I might be playing as well.
Metallica was really expensive here as well, compared to normal ticket prices. I was wondering whether I should spend that much on it, luckily I wasn't in India at the time, but I spent almost twice the amount on a mastodon ticket in Stockholm and I didn't think twice about it. Does serbia have a lot of venues for bands?

Most Eastern Europe rarely gets shows, but the Balkan area is the worst we got a lot of bands around 2009 and 2010 (a lot for me - around 10 per year or more) but then they kinda stopped coming. I heard about Metallica in India actually, there was some trouble linked to it as far as I recall?

Hmmm... we have one venue in Belgrade that can fit a 1000 people in (I'd need some more people to confirm this, I'm not really good with numbers ) in the "big" room, and there's a "small" room, about half that size. For "big" bands we have the Beogradska Arena, the capacity is - mmm, not sure if 12 000 or 20 000 but enough for most bands. And ofc we have stadiums for the really big bands.

These three "venues" or locations in Belgrade host about 90% or foreign shows... there might be a couple more in Belgrade and a couple in Novi Sad, but they don't get a lot of shows. In my town the only venue can provide space for about 100 people comfortably and it's pretty shitty to be honest. There are some larger ones but they are not usually rented for local metal shows, so when they are, it's like a mini-holiday for us really It's a shame, my town even ain't that small - around 150 000 - 200 000 live here... but I guess we're lucky to have a strictly rock venue at all. Some towns don't have that at all.
----
07.03.2012 - 15:33
Spirit Molecule
spirit molecule
Written by Milena on 06.03.2012 at 19:42

Most Eastern Europe rarely gets shows, but the Balkan area is the worst we got a lot of bands around 2009 and 2010 (a lot for me - around 10 per year or more) but then they kinda stopped coming. I heard about Metallica in India actually, there was some trouble linked to it as far as I recall?

Hmmm... we have one venue in Belgrade that can fit a 1000 people in (I'd need some more people to confirm this, I'm not really good with numbers ) in the "big" room, and there's a "small" room, about half that size. For "big" bands we have the Beogradska Arena, the capacity is - mmm, not sure if 12 000 or 20 000 but enough for most bands. And ofc we have stadiums for the really big bands.

These three "venues" or locations in Belgrade host about 90% or foreign shows... there might be a couple more in Belgrade and a couple in Novi Sad, but they don't get a lot of shows. In my town the only venue can provide space for about 100 people comfortably and it's pretty shitty to be honest. There are some larger ones but they are not usually rented for local metal shows, so when they are, it's like a mini-holiday for us really It's a shame, my town even ain't that small - around 150 000 - 200 000 live here... but I guess we're lucky to have a strictly rock venue at all. Some towns don't have that at all.

Well you've got venues for local acts so I guess thats cool.

The Metallica gig in India did have problems, they played two dates in India. The one up north(delhi) was canned, but the one in bangalore went on without any problems.

The city I live in doesn't have venues dedicated to metal, but we have a few places that local metal bands can play. If its an international band, a decently well know band that is, we have one open air venue where 90% of all concerts happen. There aren't that many live venues in India, especially for metal, but nothing to complain about, the scene is still developing.

What I do hate about my country is that everything shuts down early. I would love to walk out at 12am and be able to get a drink or be able to get something to eat at 2am atleast. It sucks that they shut down even restaurants by 11:30pm, well this is basically the city I stay in, but the rest of india is not much better. The good part is that you have these small little vendors selling tea/chai and cigarettes
----

Last fm
Don't click here
07.03.2012 - 15:39
Milena
gloom cookie
Staff
Written by Spirit Molecule on 07.03.2012 at 15:33

What I do hate about my country is that everything shuts down early. I would love to walk out at 12am and be able to get a drink or be able to get something to eat at 2am atleast. It sucks that they shut down even restaurants by 11:30pm, well this is basically the city I stay in, but the rest of india is not much better. The good part is that you have these small little vendors selling tea/chai and cigarettes

I think it's like that in most of places... There are maybe one or two places that work more or less around the clock in here, and it's probably like that in most of Europe.
----
07.03.2012 - 22:00
Ernis
็‹ผ็พ

In Italy post offices and other similar places shut the doors at 2 pm or even earlier. If you've got business, you need to do it early in the morning. And expect to stand in lines for a long time. As you can imagine, if the doors are open for only a limited time, it's kinda crowded.

Many grocery stores are also open for a limited time. The doors will usually always be closed from 11-12 until 3-4 pm (it's the siesta!). After 6-7 pm don't even expect a convenience store to be open. The only exceptions are large and important stores in downtown and shoppings malls (which don't exist in towns but in suburbs located far away from the centres. Chinese stores are also exceptions. The Chinese people work. Just like the Estonian people. There many shops are open 8 am to 11 pm and that even on Sundays (usually from 9 am to 8 pm or something)...
07.03.2012 - 23:35
Sonic MrSumo
At the moment...the weather...it's pissing down rain. My house is close to flooding!!
----
All the bridges in the world won't save you, if there's no other side to cross to.
- Rock poetry from Silverchair.
08.03.2012 - 09:57
Spirit Molecule
spirit molecule
Written by Ernis on 07.03.2012 at 22:00

In Italy post offices and other similar places shut the doors at 2 pm or even earlier. If you've got business, you need to do it early in the morning. And expect to stand in lines for a long time. As you can imagine, if the doors are open for only a limited time, it's kinda crowded.

Many grocery stores are also open for a limited time. The doors will usually always be closed from 11-12 until 3-4 pm (it's the siesta!). After 6-7 pm don't even expect a convenience store to be open. The only exceptions are large and important stores in downtown and shoppings malls (which don't exist in towns but in suburbs located far away from the centres. Chinese stores are also exceptions. The Chinese people work. Just like the Estonian people. There many shops are open 8 am to 11 pm and that even on Sundays (usually from 9 am to 8 pm or something)...

Damn, guess we have it better here. Government offices/public banks/post offices all close quite early, but the private sector works overtime, which makes it easier for working people who can't manage to do everything in the morning. As for convenient stores and grocery stores, most are open till about 9pm and you can find quite a few that are open till 11pm as well. Its just that once it hits 12am you can't get any sorta food, drink or anything else. I wish atleast over the weekends they would extend deadlines to about 2am, that would be cool. But anyway, I'm used to it, so we work around it. But I miss being able to walk out at 1-2am and being able to pick up some doner or something else to eat. Its fucked up that we don't have 7/11 in India!! Its practically run by indians in europe.
----

Last fm
Don't click here
10.03.2012 - 14:50
Ikuinen
Danish people complain about small unimportant things....
We don't sentence people that commit violent crimes in jail long enough ( maybe 2 years for rape...one person was only jailed for 11 years even though she killed 3 people)
11.03.2012 - 00:05
Valentin B
Iconoclast

I've got a shop right across the street from my home that's open 24 hours (and they don't even check ID's or stuff when selling even the hardest alcohol). Hell, the only two days you might probably not be able to get whatever you can acquire legally would be Christmas and New Year's Day.

I hated this in Spain, if you're unlucky and there's a Fiesta going on, EVERYTHING shuts down, not once was I actually starving because there was not one open shop (aside from in some dubious neighborhoods) in the vicinity.
11.03.2012 - 00:59
Ernis
็‹ผ็พ
Written by Valentin B on 11.03.2012 at 00:05

I hated this in Spain, if you're unlucky and there's a Fiesta going on, EVERYTHING shuts down, not once was I actually starving because there was not one open shop (aside from in some dubious neighborhoods) in the vicinity.

And they get paid a lot more for doing less work (compared to the poor countries of the east where shop assistants work 13h per day for 300 euros a month)... That's why Spain's economic situation is so sad. Same about Italy. They should create more jobs and extend their opening schedules. That would also bring more profit. Speaking of "dubious" neighbourhoods, the Chinese always work. And sometimes they even sell quite good stuff (although the prices are ridiculously high...) such as Qingdao beer...

In fact, there are places (at least in Italy) that are also open on Sundays but these are either outside the city limits (large shopping malls and convenience stores) or in the very centres (higher prices)... You always need to make good plans when you're about to gather some supplies.

Oh, almost forgot... tobacco products are sold exclusively in tobacco stores (unlike in the east where you can get your tobacco from any random convenience store) and those tobacco stores have limited opening hours... unless you're willing to go to the centre where they are open also on Sundays (for the tourists, most probably...)
11.03.2012 - 02:12
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Ernis on 11.03.2012 at 00:59

Written by Valentin B on 11.03.2012 at 00:05

And they get paid a lot more for doing less work (compared to the poor countries of the east where shop assistants work 13h per day for 300 euros a month)... That's why Spain's economic situation is so sad. Same about Italy. They should create more jobs and extend their opening schedules. That would also bring more profit. Speaking of "dubious" neighbourhoods, the Chinese always work. And sometimes they even sell quite good stuff (although the prices are ridiculously high...) such as Qingdao beer...

In fact, there are places (at least in Italy) that are also open on Sundays but these are either outside the city limits (large shopping malls and convenience stores) or in the very centres (higher prices)... You always need to make good plans when you're about to gather some supplies.

Oh, almost forgot... tobacco products are sold exclusively in tobacco stores (unlike in the east where you can get your tobacco from any random convenience store) and those tobacco stores have limited opening hours... unless you're willing to go to the centre where they are open also on Sundays (for the tourists, most probably...)

yeah they really need to do something to increase productivity. the end of the siesta is upon us..
11.03.2012 - 03:33
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Well Vigo you hate heat so for you sieta shood be good, sleep in chil dark room in yhe house, or cell a fruits on street market in +40¤C ....
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
11.03.2012 - 20:01
Ernis
็‹ผ็พ
Written by Bad English on 11.03.2012 at 03:33

Well Vigo you hate heat so for you sieta shood be good, sleep in chil dark room in yhe house, or cell a fruits on street market in +40¤C ....

Siesta in winter?

Actually nobody calls it siesta anyway. It's known as the "afternoon break" here...
11.03.2012 - 20:05
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Ernis on 11.03.2012 at 20:01

Written by Bad English on 11.03.2012 at 03:33

Siesta in winter?

Actually nobody calls it siesta anyway. It's known as the "afternoon break" here...

if youre lazy it works and mediteranian nastins are lazy
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
15.03.2012 - 14:46
arwestromen
What I hate about sweden????
That I have to pay 15,36 SEK/litre for gas
(If you want that in $ devide it with 8 and if you want it in £ devide it with 10)
----
Don't fuck with sweden
We gave you IKEA
15.03.2012 - 20:14
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by arwestromen on 15.03.2012 at 14:46

(If you want that in $ devide it with 8 and if you want it in £ devide it with 10)

if that's the only thing you hate about Sweden, for example here gas is 6 lei per litre (that's 12 sek) but the average wage here is six times as low as in Sweden.. so yeah, first world problems
15.03.2012 - 20:23
arwestromen
Written by Valentin B on 15.03.2012 at 20:14

if that's the only thing you hate about Sweden, for example here gas is 6 lei per litre (that's 12 sek) but the average wage here is six times as low as in Sweden.. so yeah, first world problems

meh so my country is better then your country on wages but still....I hate it, especially because I need the car to get to and from work.
----
Don't fuck with sweden
We gave you IKEA
15.03.2012 - 20:47
Spirit Molecule
spirit molecule
Written by arwestromen on 15.03.2012 at 20:23

meh so my country is better then your country on wages but still....I hate it, especially because I need the car to get to and from work.

I think the public transportation in Sweden is awesome, so really needing a car to get to work seems unnecessary. But then again I haven't seen the whole of Sweden, the cities I was in seemed to have everything well laid out. Here in India its 1.5$ a liter of gas, which is bloody expensive and we don't get paid like you.
----

Last fm
Don't click here
16.03.2012 - 15:07
Ernis
็‹ผ็พ

And for those who use neither US dollars nor pound sterling, could you give a hint in EU roubles? I know there are converters on Google but it sometimes annoys me a bit when people only think of the US dollar as "the currency." Plus you're from Sweden which is in the EU, therefore I would have imagined you'd think of euros too. But as we're speaking bout currencies already, I have to say that Sweden is a wonderful and brave country to still use the coronas. For instance both Italy and Estonia gave up their respective currencies and now use the euro and it was an economic disaster for the people in both countries.

I recall spending around 70 EEK when buying the food stuff at the store. When the euro replaced the corona, I had to start paying around 7 euros for the same things. The catch is that 7 euros is not 70 EEK... 7 euros is around 130 EEK... Suddenly everything just costs at least half as much as it used to, if not more. The only thing that's not increasing, is the income...
16.03.2012 - 16:04
arwestromen
Written by Ernis on 16.03.2012 at 15:07

And for those who use neither US dollars nor pound sterling, could you give a hint in EU roubles? I know there are converters on Google but it sometimes annoys me a bit when people only think of the US dollar as "the currency." Plus you're from Sweden which is in the EU, therefore I would have imagined you'd think of euros too. But as we're speaking bout currencies already, I have to say that Sweden is a wonderful and brave country to still use the coronas. For instance both Italy and Estonia gave up their respective currencies and now use the euro and it was an economic disaster for the people in both countries.

I recall spending around 70 EEK when buying the food stuff at the store. When the euro replaced the corona, I had to start paying around 7 euros for the same things. The catch is that 7 euros is not 70 EEK... 7 euros is around 130 EEK... Suddenly everything just costs at least half as much as it used to, if not more. The only thing that's not increasing, is the income...

Sucks to be you but seriosly that sucks alot, I hope that my country doesn't chancge our currency...but our government kinda wants to....let see 1 Euro is about 9 SEK so I pay about 1.7 Euro/litre
----
Don't fuck with sweden
We gave you IKEA
19.05.2012 - 14:54
Edmund Fogg
Not only did Hrper passed is C-38 bill, but also Qc leader now passed bill 78. WTF democracy?
----
You cannot sedate all the things you hate - MM
The Observer is the source of reality - Bloom
God damn it!! What did Diddy didn't do? - Satan
19.05.2012 - 15:04
Bulletdodger
Inflation, high unemployment rate, corruption, white plague, hooligans, skinheads, religious nutjobs(both muslim and christian), slow internet connections, overall lack of culture...
The list could go on, although living standards improved over the years.

Somehow, I still see myself living in Serbia for the years to come.
----
Aus dem Paradies, das Cantor uns geschaffen, soll uns niemand vertreiben können.
David Hilbert
19.05.2012 - 17:08
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Edmund Fogg on 19.05.2012 at 14:54
WTF democracy?

Nazi Canada. This country's going to shit, and fast.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."