Metal Storm logo
Pagan Altar

21.09.2008 - 20:51
VELVET (O)
Account deleted
Hailing from England, Pagan Altar play heavy/doom metal with a hugely retro sound to it. Incredibly they've been around since 1978 and only had 3 full lengths. 'Mythical & Magical' is an absolute stonker and has garnered 99% from 5 reviews on MA, so that should give an impression of the quality. Only discovered them a few months ago but they've had regular play ever since. I'm guessing a few of you on here will have heard and loved them.

Anyone who has a thing for 70's/80's heavy metal inspired doom should check these guys out immediately.
21.09.2008 - 22:14
Southern Wind
Account deleted
Outstanding band. Strictly musically speaking, all their albums are stunning doom metal. On the imaginery side, I had always felt attraction for traditional doom and heavy metal with an occult edge, and Pagan Altar master that.
21.09.2008 - 23:54
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Yeah they're awesome - too bad their albums are so hard to find :/
22.09.2008 - 10:23
routa
Account deleted
I love Volume 1, M&M not so much... haven't got The Lords of Hypocrisy yet.

@pyro: If I recall correctly, Shadow Kingdom Records has those in stock.

np: In the Wake of Armadeus

edit: Damn I love this song.
24.09.2008 - 17:12
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
OMG awesoem tread and band, so old and unknown outside doomesters world, somehow thay remains me nowdays druids who tell stories and nobody dont know nmothing about band life, realy greta band and Im happy band are in MS (say thank's to K7)
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
06.10.2008 - 18:41
Glen_Doom
Not much to say about Pagan Altar except that apart from making incredibly great music they are above all great persons always ready for a chat. They are definitely in my Top5 all time favourite bands
----
Spitting in the face of mainstream music !!!
26.07.2010 - 19:21
Got Mayhem?
A+ band. Just about the perfect combination of Doom and Heavy metal. Anyone who considers themselves a fan of either genre needs to hear Pagan Altar. I've gotta get a shirt of this band...
----
26.07.2010 - 19:30
ForeverDarkWoods
This is another one of those bands that totally rock but barely get any attention around here. This shit should be essential for anyone looking to call him/herself a metalhead.

"This is the age, the age of SATAN!"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VI5rWJa3es
----
Free nations are peaceful nations. Free nations don't attack each other. Free nations don't develop weapons of mass destruction!
- George W. Bush, ex-president of the United States of America
27.07.2010 - 05:22
Got Mayhem?
I'm listening to Mythical & Magical again, this time with high quality headphones, and it's just incredible. There are moments on this album where you could almost cry because of how magnificent it is. The last album I can remember giving me feelings like this was "Imaginations from the Other Side" and that was awhile ago indeed. I need to go get more of this band now.
----
30.07.2010 - 14:19
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Hm...something new for me i can check...nice
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

23.04.2011 - 03:43
Balthazine
I have Mythical and Magical as well as Volume 1. Love em both, both amazing albums. Always been big into the whole "doom metal, occult and witchcraft" relationship.
----
Sometimes in metal they have called me:
The Minneapolis Metal Music Examiner -I write articles on metal in the MN area for Examiner.com
The Metal Detector -A history of digging up old forgotten metal bands
Thrash Master -Famous for my Walls O' Thrash
03.05.2011 - 22:26
metaloprama
Very good band
09.05.2011 - 21:29
mortjoyeux
Mmmm I love Pagan Altar. I love their 2002 album The Lords of Hypocrisy. Vocals are amazing, and I love the heavy bass riffffs.
09.07.2011 - 19:24
spirit_inblack
harshhead
"The Lords Of Hypocrisy" is my favorite metal album, no questions asked.
10.07.2011 - 00:45
Vacant Throne
Went and listened to a few tracks of Lords of Hypocrisy, I guess it's not my cup of tea. A little too retro for my taste but talented stuff.
10.07.2011 - 02:45
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Vacant Throne on 10.07.2011 at 00:45

Went and listened to a few tracks of Lords of Hypocrisy, I guess it's not my cup of tea. A little too retro for my taste but talented stuff.

Retro is kind of a weird word for this band cause most of the songs were written way back in the 80s but only much much later recorded (something like Hell in that sense)
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

11.07.2011 - 01:46
Vacant Throne
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 10.07.2011 at 02:45

Retro is kind of a weird word for this band cause most of the songs were written way back in the 80s but only much much later recorded (something like Hell in that sense)

Oh okay that definitely makes sense then, I thought it was a White Wizzard kind of band.
11.07.2011 - 01:57
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Vacant Throne on 11.07.2011 at 01:46

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 10.07.2011 at 02:45

Oh okay that definitely makes sense then, I thought it was a White Wizzard kind of band.

I think their guitarist and vocalist, the Jones brothers must be way in their fifties even
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

11.07.2011 - 02:01
(((O)))
I don't like his voice, it ruins the music but im not really a big fan of traditional doom.
11.07.2011 - 02:05
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by (((O))) on 11.07.2011 at 02:01

I don't like his voice, it ruins the music but im not really a big fan of traditional doom.

Not too much a fan of his voice either (even though I am a Pagan Altar Templar ) and live he just keeps on chewing on gum
Although it has some traditional doom in it I wouldn't call PA trad doom. For me they're NWOBHM with some doom influences, just like Witchfinder General
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

11.07.2011 - 02:20
(((O)))
Quote:
Not too much a fan of his voice either (even though I am a Pagan Altar Templar ) and live he just keeps on chewing on gum
Although it has some traditional doom in it I wouldn't call PA trad doom. For me they're NWOBHM with some doom influences, just like Witchfinder General
Im listening to another PA track right now and I hate the vocals, they are almost as bad as the vocals in Divina Enema (god, Divina Enema sucks) but I like the music in PA, it's groovy and catchy.
11.07.2011 - 11:45
Daniell
_爱情_
Elite
It pays to get used to vocals, because the music is amazing. Wonderful heavy/doom.