Metal Storm logo
Most talented and original bands since 2000

17.05.2006 - 08:33
Scared4Life
Account deleted
im not too certain of any to be honest, there are many new bands which are quite good, but generally they sound like a blend of two or three bands.
The most origional sound iv heard of bands founded since 2000 is probably Epica,
the mid 90's was fantastic though since 2000 the picking have become a little thin imo, dozenze of bands with a new sound were coming out then. someone point me in a new direction please.
17.05.2006 - 08:47
Dark Cornatus
Powerslave
Elite
Spelt Talented and Original wrong man , i think we have to option to edit the titles of our own threads now, which is a great idea!
Epica are original i would say, but they have captured the style of the former band After Forever too.

The most original bands since 2000 i would say are:
Lost Horizon - Noone sounds like this Power metal band.
Pagans Mind - I think these guys bring Progressive Power Metal to a different level
Battlelore - They kind of blended like 5 genres here (Alternative, Folk, Power, Death, Symphonic)
Ensiferum - they were a different combo of Viking Metal to other bands
Asmegin - For Folk/Black Metal this is the most amazing and diverse album you will find, the amount of vocal harmonies and riffs are amazing

I am agreeing with Simon on this one, it is quite hard to find the unique bands of the last 6 years, the ones ive listed are only unique in some ways.
17.05.2006 - 09:05
Scared4Life
Account deleted
Written by Dark Cornatus on 17.05.2006 at 08:47

Spelt Talented and Original wrong man , i think we have to option to edit the titles of our own threads now, which is a great idea!
Epica are original i would say, but they have captured the style of the former band After Forever too.

The most original bands since 2000 i would say are:
Lost Horizon - Noone sounds like this Power metal band.
Pagans Mind - I think these guys bring Progressive Power Metal to a different level
Battlelore - They kind of blended like 5 genres here (Alternative, Folk, Power, Death, Symphonic)
Ensiferum - they were a different combo of Viking Metal to other bands
Asmegin - For Folk/Black Metal this is the most amazing and diverse album you will find, the amount of vocal harmonies and riffs are amazing

I am agreeing with Simon on this one, it is quite hard to find the unique bands of the last 6 years, the ones ive listed are only unique in some ways.

Thanks for the heads up, i have a habit of typos, lol it happens when you type fast. but it wont let me edit it... damn it. Anyway gone off topic for a moment, a friend of mine suggested Asmegin, i havnt got great fund to look into it though. But i will definately have to have a good look at those bands suggested, thanks Matt.
17.05.2006 - 09:18
Dark Cornatus
Powerslave
Elite
No worries man.
You will not be dissapointed with Asmegins debut effort, it is in my top 5 of all time!
17.05.2006 - 09:21
Scared4Life
Account deleted
Written by Dark Cornatus on 17.05.2006 at 09:18

No worries man.
You will not be dissapointed with Asmegins debut effort, it is in my top 5 of all time!

What the album called?
17.05.2006 - 09:26
Dark Cornatus
Powerslave
Elite
Hin Vordende Sod & So, its their only album, but a new one is coming soon.
Blodhevn is the best track off it.
17.05.2006 - 09:55
Warman
Erotic Stains
Now that I think of it, I don't listen to any original band formed this decade I listen to Norther which is a little orginial with the new album and I listen to Blaze which sound like any Heavy metal band out there-
----
17.05.2006 - 13:09
JT RIPPER
Account deleted
I think Wintersun is pretty talented there not overly orginial but they arent ripping anybody either.
17.05.2006 - 22:31
Talvi
What about Moonsorrow? No bands plays like them, an no one ever did before. And they are amazingly talented. And they are my favorite band too
----
My account on other musical pages:
http://www.last.fm/user/Pozito/
http://rateyourmusic.com/~Talvi
17.05.2006 - 22:40
Nathan Lurker
Genghis Tron are unique. http://www.genghistron.com Kayo Dot is quite unique too, weird stuff. It takes a bit of it's sound from post rock and a bit from Maudlin of The Well (members from Maudlin of the well started Kayo Dot).http://www.kayodot.net/
----

I came up from below when the she-wolf howled
and the night gave birth to her only child !Black Thunder!
I never knew no mercy I never knew no shame
I am hell in the storm clouds, the devil calls my name !Black Thunder!
17.05.2006 - 23:02
Hellsing
for me the best one is "Adromeda" I don't know u, and I understand there is not a lot a fans of progressive metal in this world..! but I'm one..! and that band kick ass..! I prefer it than "Dream Theater"...! if you have never listened to it.! I recommend it to you.!
----
±M@u®î©îر
www.myspace.com/voidcr
www.myspace.com/strato_mauricio
17.05.2006 - 23:15
Horlequism
Account deleted
Ephel Duath is one of the most original and innovative metal bands that have come out in the new millenium....their ability to mix black metal and progressive metal seemlessly gives them my respect...another good one would be Adagio...I know that Forte is heavily influenced by Malmsteen and that they have a lot of similarities with Symphony X, but they have managed to forge a semi-unique sound in neo-classical progressive power metal....

@Hellsing: It's Andromeda, not Adromeda...but yes, I agree...they are one of the better progressive metal bands to come out of the new millenium...I don't think that Chimera was a great album though...the only good song on that album that I've heard so far (I've only heard 3 or 4 tracks) is Periscope...
18.05.2006 - 01:14
Vanwarp
Some of the Best metal bands since 2000:

Riverside - Second Life Syndrome (2005) - Progressive Metal
http://www.riverside.art.pl/eng/main.html

Indukti - S.U.S.A.R. (2005) - Progressive Metal
http://www.indukti.art.pl/english.htm

Into Eternity - Buried In Oblivion (2004) - Progressive Metal
http://www.intoeternity.net/news.php

Mors Principium Est - The Unborn (2005) - Melodic Death Metal
http://www.morsprincipiumest.com/main_index.htm

Insomnium - Since The Day It All Came Down (2004) - Progressive Death Metal
http://www.insomnium.net/releases_since_day.htm
----
"Only sick music makes money today." Friedrich Nietzsche, German philosopher (1844 - 1900)
18.05.2006 - 08:46
Scared4Life
Account deleted
At least there is a little bit out their from what you guys are saying, my hopes suddenly rise that music isn't dying. Though imo, music as a whole in the last 10 years is no a downward slope.
Is their anything in the last 5 years you couldn't classify under any existing genre or two? I know we've had the Gothic Finnish metal split, but HIM have been around for a long time so its really only the name Finnish metal that hasnt been around a while. Whereas the style has been with us a long time.
18.05.2006 - 10:46
Lost One
Account deleted
I totally agree with Riverside..
Such brilliant melodies.
18.05.2006 - 13:08
Fireknight
Account deleted
These come to my mind right now . I might add some more in the future

Lamented Souls [they are quite old band but their first album came out in 2004 i think] - Doom metal
Lost Horizon - Power Metal
Wastefall - Progresive Metal
Mercenary - Power/Death Metal
19.05.2006 - 00:08
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
Elite
I would have to say my vote goes for OSI. With the second album being released not to long ago, they have shown they're not following any old format.

OSI has created a very interesting blend of progressive metal. With a line of Kevin Moore, Jim Matheos, and Mike Portnoy with Joey Vera, Sean Malone and Steven Wilson as support you get some interesting sounds. Now there is a bit of a Fates Warning/Dream Theater/Chroma Key/Porcupine/Opeth/Gordian Knot/Transatlantic thing going on, but the real beauties is the other styles they meticulously blend. The encompass a raw Metal groove style with a melodic Trip-Hop melody surrounded by Electronica and Industrial elements. The unconventional mix has lead them to create a new vein of Progressive music.
----
(space for rent)
19.05.2006 - 17:29
Stoemp
Did anyone hear from the french band 'Dagoba'. They bring great modern metal. I have never heard something like that. Sounds very original, raw but melodic. Check them out at:

http://www.dagobaonline.com
19.05.2006 - 23:26
Urizen367
Wintersun, who formed sometime in 04 (i think) and released an album around the same time. fast as hell, and with skills to boot. pounding, kick your ass and melt your face drums, and of course a vocal style uncomparable to any other. Wintersun is probably the best i've seen/heard in the past 6 years.
----
I will not reason and compare, my business is to create.
19.05.2006 - 23:40
CRODv
I agree that Epica is one of the most original bands since 2000, but I have to say that Riverside is very good, sounds really great and I think is one of the best since 2000.
----
---------
CRODv
19.05.2006 - 23:41
Warman
Erotic Stains
No, the most original band I've heard since 2000 is probably DragonForce. They are unique!
----
21.05.2006 - 04:35
Bitch Boy
Yeah, Lost Horizon obviously is one of the best bands that came up to scene after 2000.

Epica, Xandria, Sirenia, Darkwell are also good.
21.05.2006 - 14:16
Destryphior
If you have heard Die Apokalyptischen Reiter you've heard everything... They mix everything from Power and Folk Metal to Death and Black... It's impossible to put them in one genre... Stil they're talented and play great music... I deeply recommend them for anyone who wants something new.. and odd!
22.05.2006 - 20:36
Graveheart
I didn't see Communic mentioned anywhere. They are a progressive thrash/power/heavy metal band from Norway, they sound like Iced Earth with more prog and less power. The band was founded in 2003 and the debut album "Conspiracy in Mind" was released in 2005 and the next one "Waves of Visual Decay" is coming out later this year. Conspiracy in Mind is my favorite 2005 album, because it has no bad songs and all of them are carefully written. The guitar sound is very dynamic and there is no wankery to be heard. Some acoustic parts and many blasting riffs. Clean vocals all the way through, no keyboards. You will not forget this album.
23.05.2006 - 01:41
Stigmatized
Let's see, I would say the following-

Ensiferum
Wintersun
Equilibrium
Nile, doing something different with death metal, making it fresh again. They started more around 1998, but still...

I agree with Dark Cornatus that Asmegin is up there, very good band.
23.05.2006 - 02:22
Icarus
!PROSLACKER!
i agree with whoever said Andromeda, it really is a different band even thou its progressive they tend to sound completely separate from any other in their genre very unique indeed...
----
-At live's eve our flames will cease-
23.05.2006 - 02:25
Endoftherainbow
Between the Buried and Me is the most talented and original new band to come out since 2000 because in my opinion they took something shitty like metalcore and added so many elements that it turned into something great. I would describe their sound as a mix between Dillenger Escape Plan, Opeth, Death, Symphony X, and Rhapsody. They also have keyboards which is another thing that sets them apart from other metalcore bands and they have great flowing leads. My next choice for this would be Wintersun though because they are a great Folk Metal band they aren't that original though because they sound alot like the guys old band Ensiferum.
23.05.2006 - 08:01
Frost/bitten
Account deleted
Written by Bitch Boy on 21.05.2006 at 04:35

Yeah, Lost Horizon obviously is one of the best bands that came up to scene after 2000.

Epica, Xandria, Sirenia, Darkwell are also good.

Agree with Epica, and i havnt heard Darkwell so i cant comment, but Xandria kinda remind me of Nightwish, although a little more progressive and the classical compositions are more prominant. But Disagree with Sirenia, they have their own sound and are quite good, they are very much similar to early Tristania (Suprise,Suprise,lol).

Curious what are darkwell like?
24.05.2006 - 00:38
Bitch Boy
Well, the topic says "Talented and original", not only Original. Xandria isn't like Nightwish, because Xandria has nothing to do with power metal. But they are very talented, especially Lisa, who also plays the piano.

Darkwell maybe sounds like After Forever.
24.05.2006 - 08:39
Hellsing
Horlequism..! I know.! I just forgot the "N" Duh.!! My Mistake lol...!
----
±M@u®î©îر
www.myspace.com/voidcr
www.myspace.com/strato_mauricio