Metal Storm logo
Attracting Pop-listeners To Metal!!!

16.04.2009 - 22:05
ms68
If you want to attract a pop-listener to metal with one track, which track you’ll recommend to him?
----
The more you eat, the more you shit
No matter what you eat, it all turns to shit
16.04.2009 - 22:12
-Soulreaper-
Ive tried out some metal tracks on pop listeners and the one that I find that most people like is Amon Amarth - Death In Fire. And I can tell you that most pop listeners wont like Nile. Dont know why because they kick ass.
16.04.2009 - 22:15
tulkas
el parcero
Children of bodom's cover of oops i did it again. that would be THE song!
----
love is like a jar of shit with a strawberry on top
16.04.2009 - 22:17
Elio
Red Nightmare
When I got into metal, with bands as In Flames, Pantera and Children Of Bodom, I passed some songs to friends, trying to make them like those. Well, catchy Extreme Power Metal works, even if the vocals could be harsh for some, so still Power or Nu can be the best.
----
IntoPlighT said: "Slipknot is 15 years old how the fuck is that Nu metal?"

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
16.04.2009 - 22:31
Smurfophagist
Play them anything by Sonata Arctica....they're not far from being a pop band....
----
Having a signature is an absolute must.
16.04.2009 - 22:35
Ragana
Rawrcat
Haha, well, you won't recognise it... but I sent this song (from Latvian thrash metal band) to my friend and she liked it just because it was rude: Huskvarn - Ar Sirpi Pa Pautiem.
While there was another friend who liked Beseech - The Outpost.
16.04.2009 - 22:42
Valentin B
Iconoclast
3 Inches of Blood- Destroy The Orcs.

yeah lol come to think of it about the time when i bought my Bodom shirt, a friend was bored and downloaded their video of Silent Night, Bodom Night... he actually liked it(though i don't remember what he thought about the vocals).. come to think of it CoB's cover of Somebody Put Something in my Drink would work pretty swell for anyone(and i'm 100% it would be appreciated at any party considering the people there aren't against metal)

as for a song which i'd reccomend to someone, it depends on the person's background.

if (s)he's a music theory geek, or into classical music or jazz fusion or something like that, i'd show him/her Dream Theater- Learning to Live.

if said person was into rap, korn- freak on a leash, pantera- cowboys from hell.

rock? iron maiden- purgatory, wrathchild, judas priest- hellbent for leather, ram it down.

folk? skyclad- dreamer deceiver, ensiferum- old man, elvenking- skywards.

on the other hand there are some awesome songs which are pretty much universal, either out of popularity or out of them being so catchy and good that there's a good chance most people would like them if they just heard them: Ayreon- Day 11 Love, Judas Priest- Breaking the Law, Saxon- Princess of the Night, Wheels of Steel, Yngwie Malmsteen- If You Don't Remember I'll Never Forget, Europe- Scream of Anger, Queensryche- I Don't Believe In Love, tons of stuff by The 69 Eyes: Perfect Skin, Brandon Lee, Stolen Season, Angel on My Shoulder etc.
16.04.2009 - 22:47
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by -Soulreaper- on 16.04.2009 at 22:12

Ive tried out some metal tracks on pop listeners and the one that I find that most people like is Amon Amarth - Death In Fire

either you're joking or your friends are weird. i heard that song first time when i was already listening to such music and i still don't like it, it's way too damn heavy for me(the vocal delivery especially)
16.04.2009 - 22:47
Metalhead2
Skinhead1
Quote:

If you want to attract a pop-listener to metal with one track, which track you'll recommend to him?

Metallica - Call of Chtulu
16.04.2009 - 22:52
-Soulreaper-
Written by Valentin B on 16.04.2009 at 22:47

Written by -Soulreaper- on 16.04.2009 at 22:12

Ive tried out some metal tracks on pop listeners and the one that I find that most people like is Amon Amarth - Death In Fire

either you're joking or your friends are weird. i heard that song first time when i was already listening to such music and i still don't like it, it's way too damn heavy for me(the vocal delivery especially)

No, Im serious. I find it rather odd myself. I mainly tried this out when I was deployed to the desert last year. We would just sit around and talk and then we would talk about music and they would wonder what the music sounded like so I would play them some stuff. I played some Nile, Opeth, Obituary, Death, Amon Amarth, Burzum and what not. But some of them actually kind of liked Death in Fire for some reason.
16.04.2009 - 22:57
Elio
Red Nightmare
Well, still, Amon Amarth are quite sucky
----

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
16.04.2009 - 23:30
-Soulreaper-
Ewww, that's not nice. I quite enjoy their music.
16.04.2009 - 23:37
Elio
Red Nightmare
Written by -Soulreaper- on 16.04.2009 at 23:30

Oh man, now THAT's bad

----

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
16.04.2009 - 23:46
-Soulreaper-
Written by Elio on 16.04.2009 at 23:37

Oh man, now THAT's bad

Hah, to each their own I suppose. I actually just bought my tickets to see them in 2 weeks from today. Will be my 4th time seeing them. I know I know, I am a fanboy.
16.04.2009 - 23:58
Elio
Red Nightmare
Written by -Soulreaper- on 16.04.2009 at 23:46

Oh man, now THAT's bad

Hah, to each their own I suppose. I actually just bought my tickets to see them in 2 weeks from today. Will be my 4th time seeing them. I know I know, I am a fanboy.

Indeed you are! Well, to stay on topic, I don't think AMon Amarth would work that well. But if the guy says they do....
----

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
16.04.2009 - 23:58
RockeRoy
Pantera - Cemetary gates ore cowboys from hell
----
You found god? If nobody claims him in thirty days, he's yours

Walk with me in hell
17.04.2009 - 00:00
Ragana
Rawrcat
Ya' know what? I didn't though about it before but... Metallica always work. O_o
17.04.2009 - 00:04
Elio
Red Nightmare
Written by Ragana on 17.04.2009 at 00:00

Ya' know what? I didn't though about it before but... Metallica always work. O_o

It worked for me too, I was introduced in metal by Kill'em All
----

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
17.04.2009 - 00:31
tulkas
el parcero
Written by Elio on 16.04.2009 at 22:57

Well, still, Amon Amarth are quite sucky

noo, dude, you suck for saying such thing! AA is one of the best bands out there!
----
love is like a jar of shit with a strawberry on top
17.04.2009 - 01:15
sq_xeper
I think One from Metallica its a pretty attractive song for a pop-listener 'cause it has that guitar intro that any person could enjoy and the double bass part that is very recognizanle in any other metal song, also you could recommend to listen to instrumental songs from any band
----
The only way to learn is be aware and hold on tight...
17.04.2009 - 01:27
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
I would go with something that has a good sound, but still holds a friendly sound to the commercial friendly listener, IE Dio- Rainbow in the Dark or Judas Priest- Living after Midnight. Metallica is also a pretty popular choice, and it's not like they could have any more posers who claim to be fans (alot of them exist, it was not meant as a Jibe at true metallica fans) so you can't really hurt their name.
----
"For the Coward there is no Life
For the hero there is No Death"
-Kakita Toshimoko

"The Philosopher, you know so much about nothing at all." _Chuck Schuldiner.
17.04.2009 - 04:07
His Eminence
Account deleted
I've found that many of my friends like to listen to power/progressive metal when they use my iPod. Stuff like Hammerfall, Sonata Arctica, Dream Theater, Symphony X, and Kamelot seems to amuse them.

A lot of pop listeners probably would listen to metalcore as well. That's where I started. Most people I know don't start out listening to death metal.
17.04.2009 - 05:13
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
There are already Pop-listeners who listen to "metal". Sonata Arctica fans for one.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
17.04.2009 - 05:51
bard
Awesome subject, something i think about all the time.

It usually depends on who they are but... If they are girls I go for stuff like Nightwish or Leave's Eyes, if they are more like me I go for stuff like Finntroll or Eluveitie, and if they listen to hardcore / nu / ONLY metallica/iron maiden (I know a lot of these) I try to slip in some melodic death stuff like Amon Amarth, Arch Enemy, or maybe Cannibal Corpse again depending on who they are...and if they are really into metalcore I just play Nile - Lashed to the Slave Stick in hopes that they stop treating extreme emo music like it's liquid bad ass.

Overall, however, it's Wintersun - Beyond the Black Sun, Kalmah - Time Takes Us All, and Blind Guardian - Ashes to Ashes. These songs always get attention in my experience.
----
17.04.2009 - 11:03
DarkMoor99
Account deleted
I would recommend some Nightwish or Within Temptation. Maybe Sonata Arctica or Stratovarius.
17.04.2009 - 21:39
ms68
Excuse me but i wanted to know which tracks you give them to attract them to music you listen.
this is clear as daylight that pop-listener can enjoy nightwish, within temptation and other bands like these because the only matter for these people is pop-vocal and clean music. if you give somebody for example "i wish i had an angel" by nightwish 100% he or she will like it but the matter is that they only listen to vocal and don't understand anything from music. i know a lot of nightwish fans they don't know nightwish as a metal band. please recommend some tracks with thrash, death, black or kind of these backgrounds(True Metal). i wanna attract them to this kind of metal.
----
The more you eat, the more you shit
No matter what you eat, it all turns to shit
17.04.2009 - 22:07
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
Elite
The edited version of "End of Heartache" seems to work pretty well for me.
----
(space for rent)
17.04.2009 - 22:08
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by ms68 on 17.04.2009 at 21:39

Excuse me but i wanted to know which tracks you give them to attract them to music you listen.
this is clear as daylight that pop-listener can enjoy nightwish, within temptation and other bands like these because the only matter for these people is pop-vocal and clean music. if you give somebody for example "i wish i had an angel" by nightwish 100% he or she will like it but the matter is that they only listen to vocal and don't understand anything from music. i know a lot of nightwish fans they don't know nightwish as a metal band. please recommend some tracks with thrash, death, black or kind of these backgrounds(True Metal). i wanna attract them to this kind of metal.

hmm well in case you want to familiarize people with metal-like instrumentation, some guitar or keyboard driven stuff should work: Yngwie Malmsteen- You Don't Remember
17.04.2009 - 22:12
Ragana
Rawrcat
What the hell... take Children Of Bodom and you'll have a bunch of new emos.
Amorphis could be good as well.... Dimmu Borgir/Cradle Of Filth, very catchy and so. Actually the main thing is that the songs must be catchy enough.
17.04.2009 - 23:50
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Elio on 16.04.2009 at 23:58

Written by -Soulreaper- on 16.04.2009 at 23:46

Oh man, now THAT's bad

Indeed you are! Well, to stay on topic, I don't think AMon Amarth would work that well. But if the guy says they do....

the more midpaced songs like Under the Northern Star or The Fate of Norns are the closest this band gets to mainstream appeal(and it ain't too close lol)

Iron Maiden and Metallica work best, mostly