Metal Storm logo
Dream Theater

Original post

Posted by BloodTears, 09.06.2009 - 14:55
New Dream Theater thread, the other one is deceased.

Let the discussion begin.
29.07.2012 - 17:50
Warman
Erotic Stains
Written by Milena on 29.07.2012 at 17:34

2. You Not Me. Although some people say us snobby Dream Theater fans would have no problem with it if it were John Petrucci and not Desmond Child who had been credited for the song, I have a problem with the song. It's awful, period

True, but the demo version is pretty good in my opinion. But then again, the whole Falling to Infinity demo album is so much better than the actual album.
----
29.07.2012 - 17:52
Milena
gloom cookie
Staff
Written by Warman on 29.07.2012 at 17:50

True, but the demo version is pretty good in my opinion. But then again, the whole Falling to Infinity demo album is so much better than the actual album.

I dig the album as it is, actually. Kick the first two songs out and throw Raise The Knife in and you've got yourself a masterpiece. But I like it a lot this way too.
----
7.0 means the album is good
29.07.2012 - 17:57
Warman
Erotic Stains
Written by Milena on 29.07.2012 at 17:52

I dig the album as it is, actually. Kick the first two songs out and throw Raise The Knife in and you've got yourself a masterpiece. But I like it a lot this way too.

Overall, it's a good album but without a doubt their worst if you ask me. But when I got the demo version of it I was chocked. It's like a whole different album here and there. And yes, why didn't they include "Raise the Knife"? That one along with "Speak to Me" are the best tracks and they're not even on the album. A disgrace!
----
29.07.2012 - 18:00
Milena
gloom cookie
Staff
Written by Warman on 29.07.2012 at 17:57
their worst

If you've heard all of them and think FII is the worst, you're a special cookie not to be taken as an insult, I'm always curious to see someone deviating from the usual opinion of what the best/worst albums in a huge discography are. I've often been there too
----
29.07.2012 - 22:18
Warman
Erotic Stains
Written by Milena on 29.07.2012 at 18:00

If you've heard all of them and think FII is the worst, you're a special cookie not to be taken as an insult, I'm always curious to see someone deviating from the usual opinion of what the best/worst albums in a huge discography are. I've often been there too

I'm more insulted that you have to make sure that I've heard all of their albums. I thought I was known for being one of the biggest DT fanboys here, seems I've been slacking off lately. Shame on me!
----
30.07.2012 - 11:30
Milena
gloom cookie
Staff
Written by Warman on 29.07.2012 at 22:18

I'm more insulted that you have to make sure that I've heard all of their albums. I thought I was known for being one of the biggest DT fanboys here, seems I've been slacking off lately. Shame on me!

Hahahaha, sorry about that, but people don't usually go out and say FII is the worst album, so I had to Shame on you! Stop slacking off and start fanboying now!
----
30.07.2012 - 11:38
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Milena on 30.07.2012 at 11:30

Hahahaha, sorry about that, but people don't usually go out and say FII is the worst album...

I know a lot of die hard DT fans here in The Netherlands and about 90% of them will tell you they think Falling Into Infinity is their worst. Me as a casual (when they were called Majesty and at the time of the three full lenghts I was quite a die hard fan of DT myself, btw) DT fan happen to agree about that.
But maybe it is because the fans I mention, just like me, had been folloing DT from before they were called DT.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

30.07.2012 - 12:37
Milena
gloom cookie
Staff
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 30.07.2012 at 11:38

I know a lot of die hard DT fans here in The Netherlands and about 90% of them will tell you they think Falling Into Infinity is their worst. Me as a casual (when they were called Majesty and at the time of the three full lenghts I was quite a die hard fan of DT myself, btw) DT fan happen to agree about that.
But maybe it is because the fans I mention, just like me, had been folloing DT from before they were called DT.

From my experience, most people think it's some of the newer ones, most notably Systematic Chaos or Black Clouds, or for newer fans, their first, that's why I'm surprised
----
30.07.2012 - 16:03
Warman
Erotic Stains

I'm with you Marcel on this one. There's nothing weird at all about considering Falling Into Infinity to be their worst. All DT fans I know think so and I've always thought it was the general opinion in DT:s fanbase to think so too.
If one reads the booklet to the demo version of the album, the band itself are almost saying "sorry for this one, this is how it actually should sound".
----
30.07.2012 - 16:08
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Warman on 30.07.2012 at 16:03

I'm with you Marcel on this one. There's nothing weird at all about considering Falling Into Infinity to be their worst. All DT fans I know think so and I've always thought it was the general opinion in DT:s fanbase to think so too.
If one reads the booklet to the demo version of the album, the band itself are almost saying "sorry for this one, this is how it actually should sound".

good to see me and my surroundings aren't the only ones. Most probably it's a Balkan thing then to not consider FiI as their worst
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

30.07.2012 - 16:33
Milena
gloom cookie
Staff
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 30.07.2012 at 16:08

good to see me and my surroundings aren't the only ones. Most probably it's a Balkan thing then to not consider FiI as their worst

It's an online forum-thing; I know less than ten people who are into DT IRL... probably because I don't hang around the older folks as much as I should. Whenever I recommend something to 90% of my friends, their first question will be "is it the boring prog stuff you listen to, or something I could listen to as well?" I guess that with age comes the wisdom of checking stuff out regardless of the genre tag

"Hi Milena, wazzup?
- Listening to some music, chilling.
- Oh, cool, what music?
- A band called Coldworld. Troy recommended them to me. Some sort of black metal stuff?
- SINCE WHEN DO YOU LISTEN TO BLACK METAL?
- Dunno, I just dig this.
- At least it's not the boring prog stuff, you prog hipster.
- Dude, are you aware there's no such a thing as a prog hipster?
- Sure there is, you're it."
----
30.07.2012 - 17:12
Unhealer
Eclecticist
Written by Milena on 30.07.2012 at 16:33

prog hipster?

I guess you know it is time to change your MS title once again.
30.07.2012 - 17:21
Milena
gloom cookie
Staff
Written by Unhealer on 30.07.2012 at 17:12

I was thinking of purchasing one of those shirts that say "Prog Snob" and wearing it ironically *hipster*
----
31.07.2012 - 02:41
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
Elite
Written by Milena on 30.07.2012 at 17:21

Written by Unhealer on 30.07.2012 at 17:12

I was thinking of purchasing one of those shirts that say "Prog Snob" and wearing it ironically *hipster*

So you're going from my fan girl to a hipster...ironic.
----
(space for rent)
31.07.2012 - 02:44
Milena
gloom cookie
Staff
Written by Dane Train on 31.07.2012 at 02:41

I'll always be your fangirl, even when my hipsterism changes everything else I like.
----
31.07.2012 - 03:23
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
Elite
Written by Milena on 31.07.2012 at 02:44

Written by Dane Train on 31.07.2012 at 02:41

I'll always be your fangirl, even when my hipsterism changes everything else I like.

Haha. You should start a Dane Train Fan Girl club. It would be so KVLT Prog.
----
(space for rent)
31.07.2012 - 11:19
Milena
gloom cookie
Staff
Written by Dane Train on 31.07.2012 at 03:23

Haha. You should start a Dane Train Fan Girl club. It would be so KVLT Prog.

DT fan club! Wait, that reminds me of something. I can't put my finger on it...

And let's post about the band, maybe.
----
02.08.2012 - 04:53
Azarath
Free as a.. Fish
I've said it before in this thread: Falling Into Infinity is one of my top 5 Dream Theater albums. Their worst is Systematic Chaos, BC&SL or ADTOE. Which brings me to...

Written by Milena on 29.07.2012 at 17:34

Hmmm. In order of appearance:
1. New Millenium. Not exactly fucking repulsive but probably the worst opener ever.
2. You Not Me. Although some people say us snobby Dream Theater fans would have no problem with it if it were John Petrucci and not Desmond Child who had been credited for the song, I have a problem with the song. It's awful, period
3. Never Enough. Don't need to explain. Taking influence is okay, but when it doesn't sound like DT anymore, AND when it sounds like a band I dislike, of course I'm going to hate it.
4. Prophets Of War, as Never Enough v.2
5. The Best Of Times. Well, okay, not fucking repulsive either, but a really poor, sappy realization. I dig DT radio ballads but gimme a break.
6. Raw Dog

Songs I don't particularly care for:
Honor Thy Father, The Answer Lies Within, Panic Attack, Sacrificed Sons, Forsaken, ITPOE (both parts; they're okay musically but not for my taste), A Nightmare To Remember (day after day ), A Rite Of Passage, everything off ADTOE save of On The Backs Of Angels, Lost Not Forgotten and Breaking All Illusions. I'm getting better, I can tolerate LNF now! Actually a pretty cool rocker when you make it past the tickle section.

Interesting post. No real surprises there, except for "New Millennium". I love that song, one of my favourites off the album. "You Not Me" is one of the weakest, but I've never understood the almost aggressive dislike for it. It is what it is, and I have no major problems with it. "Never Enough" is one of the worst songs they've ever done, yet I like "Prophets of War". "The Best Of Times" is ok musically but those lyrics are pretty bad. Oddly sappy yet bland at the same time, which is probably why LaBrie doesn't sound convincing. And "Raw Dog" sucks. Yeah, I'm sure you wanted to know what I thought of your list so there it is.

I can agree with most of your "don't particularly care for" picks. I really like "In the Presence of Enemies" though - it has some wanky sections but also some really good ones and at least one that's stunning ("Heretic").

Just to throw something out there, since a previous poster also mentioned disliking it: I like "Forsaken". Just as I like "Wither". They're both good, focused songs, which DT apparently had problems with writing at that/this point in their career. Those two, as well as "Prophets of War" and maybe even "A Rite of Passage" come off even better than they already are just because they're squeezed in between general wank-fests or crap like "The Dark Eternal Night". After something like "A Nightmare to Remember" that seems to go on forever (despite the Beautiful Agony middle section and a cool riff here and there) those short, to the point songs are very important - without them the albums would be weighed down. And even outside the context of the albums they're still good, you know, songs.

Oh, and Petrucci's The Spirit Carries On demo is absolutely beautiful.
02.08.2012 - 18:08
JohnDoe
Account deleted
Written by Eternal Judgment on 02.08.2012 at 07:06

Http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sv1lLJ8ubhs THRASH NEW FUCKIN METAL !!! lots of melodys to!

wtf?! if you'd like to promote your band, there's a special thread for that, just look around, don't post randomly.
09.08.2012 - 05:50
Unhealer
Eclecticist
Wow, the setlist in Guatemala was even worse. Of course Octavarium would be nice, but the rest...
And Raw Dog, what a bizarre choice.
09.08.2012 - 14:04
Daniell
_爱情_
Elite

I know a lot of die hard DT fans here in The Netherlands and about 90% of them will tell you they think Falling Into Infinity is their worst.

They must be forgetting about DT's latest aborted fetus called "A Dramatic Turn of Events"
The title "A Dramatic Soiling of Pants" seems more appropriate by the way...
09.08.2012 - 14:12
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Daniell on 09.08.2012 at 14:04

I know a lot of die hard DT fans here in The Netherlands and about 90% of them will tell you they think Falling Into Infinity is their worst.

They must be forgetting about DT's latest aborted fetus called "A Dramatic Turn of Events"

Is just as bad, not worse
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

09.08.2012 - 15:16
Unhealer
Eclecticist

I like to call it "A Dramatic Turd Of Events".
12.08.2012 - 20:35
Stabby
Account deleted
Written by Unhealer on 09.08.2012 at 15:16

I like to call it "A Dramatic Turd Of Events".

I like that one.

Okay how about A Traumatic Turd Of Laments?

Not that it was that bad, but it wasn't good either...
16.08.2012 - 23:09
Yellax
Great takes on the name of Dream Theater's latest album, but perhaps it deserves a few more listens? Common, its not as bad as Octavarium...
----
I'm a furry. Get used to it.
17.08.2012 - 00:36
JohnDoe
Account deleted
Written by Yellax on 16.08.2012 at 23:09

Great takes on the name of Dream Theater's latest album, but perhaps it deserves a few more listens? Common, its not as bad as Octavarium...

I disagree, Octavarium is much better than DT's last album; and I really like ADTOE.
17.08.2012 - 12:41
jojo0215
Since the Blizzard published the Diablo 3, there has been disputes among the players all over the world. Until July 31, there are up to 10,000,000 players in total. It is amazing, isn't it? Even through it has some bad sides that disappoint the players, it is an interesting game on thw whole. How could you miss such a nice game. Get some diablo 3 gold to get started! It is not late at all!
30.08.2012 - 10:37
oblong
Account deleted
Bringing up an old conversation aboot Liquid Tension Experiment - my order of the 'Live in LA' DVD finally arrived ! Hooray !

TBH; if you're not that interested in hearing/owning both LTE albums, but would still like something of theirs (as confusing as that sounds) - buy this DVD, it has all the good stuff, great solos and definitely worth owning.

30.08.2012 - 11:18
Milena
gloom cookie
Staff
Written by Unhealer on 09.08.2012 at 05:50

Wow, the setlist in Guatemala was even worse. Of course Octavarium would be nice, but the rest...
And Raw Dog, what a bizarre choice.

That was probably someone trolling setlist.fm - they were throwing curveballs this tour, but not, you know, Raw Dog
----
31.08.2012 - 08:58
Stabby
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 17.08.2012 at 00:36

Written by Yellax on 16.08.2012 at 23:09

I disagree, Octavarium is much better than DT's last album; and I really like ADTOE.

I also prefer Ocatvarium. It has its moments. And I don't hate ADTOE enough to seriously call it traumatic, or a turd. But I do lament the fact that it's not so amazing.

I watched Scenes From New York again today; first time in a few years. Amazing as I remember it; what a powerful album and performance.

Their newest videos on youtube look great. I have high hopes for the next album.