Metal Storm logo
Satyricon

Original post

Posted by matos, 19.07.2006 - 18:44
No official Satyricon thread ?!? ok here it is !
I don't want to write a wide monologue about how i feel about the band, so i'll just give you the short version:
Satyricon: you should all know them! they've been my favourite band for quite a long time, it's hard to decide which album attracts me the most, but i'd say it's DMT. Many people don't like their later material (after Nemesis Devina), but come on Rebel Extravaganza is also a masterpiece, the main problem about this album is that it comes after their legendary 3rd album - Nemesis Devina. But i'd call RE a great example of moderen black metal that is not yet sell-out. About Vulcano - yeah, it's not that good album, but still there are some good songs to be found on it. After this album we all hoped that Satyricon would return to their roots, but they turned in totally different direction- towards mtv
So i guess that is a fatal downfall, for the Kings of Black metal

Sad ending of a story... But i have i wonderful news for my Slovenian friends! I've heared Satyricon are coming to Slovenia this autumn!! (sorce: http://www.rockthenation.at/index.php?id=37)
08.12.2006 - 00:42
Ulven i Manden
Account deleted
Yours posts guys proved that every nation "clearly understand" his neighbour...
22.12.2006 - 23:06
chuckie
Account deleted
Picked up DMT today OMFG im blown away, the melodic medieval sounding interludes in the songs are amazing...i love it, its sooo different then their new stuff...
23.12.2006 - 15:37
Ulven i Manden
Account deleted
DMT is one of the most atmospheric BM album ever... Indeed it is amazing and outstanding... Made by simple ways but Satyricon was able to create so dark and essential BM... Masterpiece!
22.02.2007 - 00:31
Black Serpent
Account deleted
Satyricon is a really good Norwegian Black Metal band! *Proud of being Norwegian *
22.02.2007 - 16:13
Sunioj
Written by Guest on 22.12.2006 at 23:06

Picked up DMT today OMFG im blown away, the melodic medieval sounding interludes in the songs are amazing...i love it, its sooo different then their new stuff...

The disc blows me away, I mean who uses flutes on a black metal album, who would think about that? It feels evil, yet the symphonic passages create a contrast that makes this album great.
22.02.2007 - 16:16
Warman
Erotic Stains
I agree, Dark Medival Times is a masterpiece and one of the most original albums in my collection. Very sad atmosphere over the songs too...
----
13.03.2007 - 13:20
Paganblood
The Aryaputra
Their 'volcano' doesn't sound good to me.. their old style was far more better.
----
that which shines without names and forms...
14.03.2007 - 00:24
Himann
Orm KrigGud
Written by Sunioj on 22.02.2007 at 16:13

Written by Guest on 22.12.2006 at 23:06

The disc blows me away, I mean who uses flutes on a black metal album, who would think about that? It feels evil, yet the symphonic passages create a contrast that makes this album great.

Yeah their old stuff is just amazing.. Even Shadowthrone is just awesome.. I was playing it yesterday on a whim.. Just amazing!! Anyway Dark Medival Times is still my fav Satyricon album.. So many memories with this album really..
----
To be Draped by the Shadow of your Morbid Palace. Ohh, Hate Living...The only heat is warm blood

So Pure... So Cold
Transilvanian Hunger
10.05.2007 - 20:57
Lathronniel
Written by Paganblood on 13.03.2007 at 13:20

Their 'volcano' doesn't sound good to me.. their old style was far more better.

u got that right and Now Diabolical isn't sth special...old satyricon are much more better
----
I amar prestar aen, han mathon ne nen, han mathon ne chae a han noston ned 'wilith...
11.05.2007 - 01:41
APOHAKC
The Bard
Well, Satyricon confiremed gig in Novi Sad.. can't wait!
I agree that old Satyricon is better (especially The Shadowthrone album ), but new albums are also good, I mean there are not like Dark Medieval Times but they have new sound which is quite ok
Volcano is awesome album, I really like that release, Now Diabolical is still new album, so I don't have full opinion yet Can't wait gig!
----
They say that we are gone but I can't let you down
The heathen faith will rise again we won't fail now
I know we cannot die forever is our time
Give my people back to me free from Christianity!!!!
11.05.2007 - 07:47
Judas
The Amputator
@Aronax Of Steel: I prefer 'Nemesis Divina' myself, it doesn't have the really thin guitar sound like the earlier two do, although it is less obviously folk-influenced too. But, "Mother North" is the single greatest Satyricon song, so...

I didn't mind 'Volcano' too much, and even though I thought 'Now, Diabolical' was crap at first, it grew on me a little, and now I think it's decent, although nothing special.
----
"Once the game is over, the king and the pawn both go back into the same box."
11.05.2007 - 19:06
Lathronniel
Written by APOHAKC on 11.05.2007 at 01:41

Well, Satyricon confiremed gig in Novi Sad.. can't wait!
I agree that old Satyricon is better (especially The Shadowthrone album ), but new albums are also good, I mean there are not like Dark Medieval Times but they have new sound which is quite ok
Volcano is awesome album, I really like that release, Now Diabolical is still new album, so I don't have full opinion yet Can't wait gig!

when i see ur posts on this forum abut the gigs u have in Serbia I must say u're one lucky guy
----
I amar prestar aen, han mathon ne nen, han mathon ne chae a han noston ned 'wilith...
11.05.2007 - 20:08
APOHAKC
The Bard
Written by Lathronniel on 11.05.2007 at 19:06

when i see ur posts on this forum abut the gigs u have in Serbia I must say u're one lucky guy

Macedonia is not too far away, you can gather some friends and come. Some of those bands I saw in Hungary. Satyricon is 15 July in Novi Sad. Dimmu Borgir will also play, and some bands are yet to be confirmed.
----
11.05.2007 - 20:12
Lathronniel
Written by APOHAKC on 11.05.2007 at 20:08

Written by Lathronniel on 11.05.2007 at 19:06

Macedonia is not too far away, you can gather some friends and come. Some of those bands I saw in Hungary. Satyricon is 15 July in Novi Sad. Dimmu Borgir will also play, and some bands are yet to be confirmed.

haha i would come alone but haven't been some news about gigs or so in the neighbour lands...so i don't know very much about that happening
----
14.06.2007 - 03:40
Germ
Account deleted
Satyricon are in my top. I'm telling you. I FUCKING LOVE this band. "Now, Diabolical" (2006) is amazing. It's my favorite album so far, and it gives me hope for the black metal genre.
14.06.2007 - 19:51
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Woohooh! Someone else who agrees with me. Not sure if it's my favorite, but it is really awesome.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
14.06.2007 - 20:08
Damned-In-Black
Now, Diabolical was simply one of the weakest albums I've heard in the last few years.

Not to do with the fact that it doesn't sound like black metal. But it's incredibly repetitive and boring, among other things. A few songs are barely distinguishable from one-another. I actually give them a little respect for doing their own thing, and a couple of their old releases are great, but they just didn't do what they attempted with the last album well. Got a feeling this stuff is what they want to continue with though, so lets hope they improve somewhat and at least make decent music out of their style. They're capable of it...
p.s. I did think "To The Mountains" was an ok track. The only one.
14.06.2007 - 22:15
Germ
Account deleted
Written by Damned-In-Black on 14.06.2007 at 20:08

Now, Diabolical was simply one of the weakest albums I've heard in the last few years.

Not to do with the fact that it doesn't sound like black metal. But it's incredibly repetitive and boring, among other things. A few songs are barely distinguishable from one-another. I actually give them a little respect for doing their own thing, and a couple of their old releases are great, but they just didn't do what they attempted with the last album well. Got a feeling this stuff is what they want to continue with though, so lets hope they improve somewhat and at least make decent music out of their style. They're capable of it...

You are retarded. Now, Diabolical is in NO way repetitive, it is in fact the complete opposite. Each song has so much personality!!! Look at "K.I.N.G." in comparison with "Delerium", and look at "Delerium" in comparison with "The Pentagram Burns". Oh, and To THe Mountains is not an "ok" track, it's a FUCKING AMAZING TRACK. It's fucking genius. I don't see how any black metal fan could think this album is boring.

PS: Not real black metal? What are you talking about? I'll bet in reality you are just some kid who was introduced to metal yesterday or something and is just trying to be cool by gassing off about shit he doesn't even know anything about.
14.06.2007 - 22:43
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Hey Germ, how about discussing things nicely?
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
15.06.2007 - 00:47
Germ
Account deleted
Nicely? What is this? Pre school? Some d-bag just comes off saying one of the best BM albums ever made is crap, for little bullshit reasons that make no sense, and I'm gonna put him in his place.
15.06.2007 - 00:59
APOHAKC
The Bard
It is not the way we discuss things here, you must respect his opinion, or at least to tell him why do you think he is wrong. If you don't want to do that just ignore his posts and write your opinion without commenting his.

Personally I prefer oldr Satyricon albums, and I am not a fan of their new releases at all. Their new sound is quite good but it is not all that great, I still prefer older sound from The Shadowthrone. Plus for 'Now Diabolical' is its orinality but songs are just something I can't listen for more than few days. It is little repititive for me, riffs and harmnies are based on same registres especially middle and high tones. Not bad but not my style definetely
----
15.06.2007 - 01:07
Germ
Account deleted
Aww, so you can't bash people opinions, tell them they suck and smash their dreams? What kind of metal community is this??

--oh and I like old Satyricon too don't get me wrong
15.06.2007 - 01:13
APOHAKC
The Bard
Written by Guest on 15.06.2007 at 01:07

Aww, so you can't bash people opinions, tell them they suck and smash their dreams? What kind of metal community is this??

--oh and I like old Satyricon too don't get me wrong

Sorry mate, no
Well, you can see that I already have warning for offensive behavior, if you offend people you will get one soon lol
----
15.06.2007 - 01:25
matos
hmm you guys are interesting... can't really agree with any of you 100%

Satyricon has been my fav. band for a few years now, i started liking them with DMT and Nemesis Divina, later went on with other albums, at first i did not completly like Rebel Extravaganza and Vulcano, especially because of the image and style change, but now i really enjoy them - RE is almost a perfect album!

And about a year later Now, Diabolical came along... wow, first i was totally incapable of judgment, but later i started to hesitate between "album for open-minded" and "sell-out album". But now i guess it's just kinda mix of both + something else, i still don't really know. It's a good album but Satyricon were better before 2000, well they're still great (especially live) just different
----
15.06.2007 - 02:00
Germ
Account deleted
right....and change is good.

I love all Satyricon, Satyr and Frost can do no wrong!!!!!!!
15.06.2007 - 05:19
Damned-In-Black
Written by Guest on 14.06.2007 at 22:15

You are retarded. Now, Diabolical is in NO way repetitive, it is in fact the complete opposite. Each song has so much personality!!! Look at "K.I.N.G." in comparison with "Delerium", and look at "Delerium" in comparison with "The Pentagram Burns". Oh, and To THe Mountains is not an "ok" track, it's a FUCKING AMAZING TRACK. It's fucking genius. I don't see how any black metal fan could think this album is boring.

PS: Not real black metal? What are you talking about? I'll bet in reality you are just some kid who was introduced to metal yesterday or something and is just trying to be cool by gassing off about shit he doesn't even know anything about.

Wow, a stunning amount of rational thought went into this post, I can tell! I'm highly offended.

...wait, no I'm not. My post was that of someone expressing their opinion. Yours was... something else. What's to be offended about?

Ok, so we disagree. Fair enough, I know a lot of people enjoy this album. I'm also entirely aware that a lot of people don't. So long as both groups have their reasons, what is the problem? You consider this album genius. I consider it plastic, commercialized, uninteresting pseudo-black metal. Discussion ends there, so far as I'm concerned. By the way, I've no problem with listening to commercial music, when I can enjoy the sound & themes. I can do neither with this release, though - and believe me, I have tried to like it, because their musical progression and ideas interested me.

And by the way, you should have quit while you were ahead and left that last comment out. If you'd taken 5 seconds to check with my profile, you'd see pretty clearly I'm not a kid of any kind, let alone one who was introduced to metal yesterday. I hope one day you'll come to understand the concept of "opinion".

@everyone else: sorry to continue this even briefly. I'll leave it at that, permanently
15.06.2007 - 11:57
Basso
Account deleted
Written by Damned-In-Black on 15.06.2007 at 05:19

@everyone else: sorry to continue this even briefly. I'll leave it at that, permanently

Dont worry... Its already proven who the failing part is... Oh and by the way I agree with your thought of Satyricon very much. Now Diabolical is imo, a mockery to music in general... its just so sad.. Im lucky they released Rebel Extravaganza, Nemesis Devina, DMT etc before..which happen to be exceptional albums.
15.06.2007 - 16:32
Lathronniel
Written by Damned-In-Black on 15.06.2007 at 05:19

Written by Guest on 14.06.2007 at 22:15

Wow, a stunning amount of rational thought went into this post, I can tell! I'm highly offended.

...wait, no I'm not. My post was that of someone expressing their opinion. Yours was... something else. What's to be offended about?

Ok, so we disagree. Fair enough, I know a lot of people enjoy this album. I'm also entirely aware that a lot of people don't. So long as both groups have their reasons, what is the problem? You consider this album genius. I consider it plastic, commercialized, uninteresting pseudo-black metal. Discussion ends there, so far as I'm concerned. By the way, I've no problem with listening to commercial music, when I can enjoy the sound & themes. I can do neither with this release, though - and believe me, I have tried to like it, because their musical progression and ideas interested me.

And by the way, you should have quit while you were ahead and left that last comment out. If you'd taken 5 seconds to check with my profile, you'd see pretty clearly I'm not a kid of any kind, let alone one who was introduced to metal yesterday. I hope one day you'll come to understand the concept of "opinion".

hmm can't agree with u more... i also think now diabolicas and newer albums aren't great..put in comparison nemesis divina with now diabolical?it isn't making any sence! also the videos?! they are so lame with fancy girls so not black spirit heh!ok leave the videos a side..the new sound?!heh dmt rebel e. and nemesis divina are highly above the new music...heh and their opinion of making black metal now?heh!
----
15.06.2007 - 18:12
matos
yeah! now that you mentioned... no one should listen Now, Diabolical right after pre 2000 albums. damn i tried that once... uff didn't touch now diabolical for about a month :s
Well if you want to like the new stuff you have to imagine that you're listening to a different band OR see Satyricon live! New stuff totally kills! (not saying old stuff isn't great)
----
15.06.2007 - 19:34
Damned-In-Black
Written by Lathronniel on 15.06.2007 at 16:32

hmm can't agree with u more... i also think now diabolicas and newer albums aren't great..put in comparison nemesis divina with now diabolical?it isn't making any sence! also the videos?! they are so lame with fancy girls so not black spirit heh!ok leave the videos a side..the new sound?!heh dmt rebel e. and nemesis divina are highly above the new music...heh and their opinion of making black metal now?heh!

Oh yeah, the videos. Those were painful to watch. It would have simply been amusing if they didn't make good music at one point in their existence.

DMT is my favourite Satyricon release - amazing atmosphere, good sound... Just a great album - and they had at least a couple more good releases after that... The new stuff is simply no comparison though, I agree.