Metal Storm logo
Satyricon

Original post

Posted by matos, 19.07.2006 - 18:44
No official Satyricon thread ?!? ok here it is !
I don't want to write a wide monologue about how i feel about the band, so i'll just give you the short version:
Satyricon: you should all know them! they've been my favourite band for quite a long time, it's hard to decide which album attracts me the most, but i'd say it's DMT. Many people don't like their later material (after Nemesis Devina), but come on Rebel Extravaganza is also a masterpiece, the main problem about this album is that it comes after their legendary 3rd album - Nemesis Devina. But i'd call RE a great example of moderen black metal that is not yet sell-out. About Vulcano - yeah, it's not that good album, but still there are some good songs to be found on it. After this album we all hoped that Satyricon would return to their roots, but they turned in totally different direction- towards mtv
So i guess that is a fatal downfall, for the Kings of Black metal

Sad ending of a story... But i have i wonderful news for my Slovenian friends! I've heared Satyricon are coming to Slovenia this autumn!! (sorce: http://www.rockthenation.at/index.php?id=37)
02.03.2008 - 02:28
rageing atheist
Account deleted
Written by NOИ on 22.02.2008 at 20:41

another true Norwegian black metal band that turned mainstream and shit. never was a big fan, they are ok for the starters of the genre and their fans.

I thought you didn't consider non-satanic bands black metal (Satyr has said that Satyricon has never been satanic or pagan band).
02.03.2008 - 02:43
NOИ
Written by Guest on 02.03.2008 at 02:28

Written by NOИ on 22.02.2008 at 20:41

another true Norwegian black metal band that turned mainstream and shit. never was a big fan, they are ok for the starters of the genre and their fans.

I thought you didn't consider non-satanic bands black metal (Satyr has said that Satyricon has never been satanic or pagan band).

there is a difference between religious / orthodox black metal and simply black metal, and offcourse pagan or nazi black metal, even dinosaurean black metal . Satyricon are in the second category. just an average band good for the starters / noobs, those who love Norwegian black metal and nothing more. I myself consider all these non religious bands just bands without the correct message. but in music, yes they all sound like black metal...
20.03.2008 - 17:47
LSD-25
Account deleted
i feel the satyricon bandwagon was very good uptil nemesis devina, and DMT was a outstanding album.
22.04.2008 - 14:03
ArtiA
Robin Goodfellow
it has a different genre in that case , the best
----
"The WAY" is perfect and complete like boundless space nothing redundant but because the mind continues to make distinction.
23.04.2008 - 15:51
VPeter
the new sample of "My Skin is Cold" sounds terrible, it's sounds just the same as any song of Now, Diabolical. I sense dark clouds aproaching this fall...
25.04.2008 - 16:09
Marilin
Account deleted
Well, for me the new track sounds more like mighty Volcano. And the graphic reminds Rebel Extravaganza. I surely hope new album is more related to them than only these two things. But come what may- I'm sure Satyricon will suprise my in pleasant way m/
09.05.2008 - 11:13
Marilin
Account deleted
... on 3rd November.
10.05.2008 - 23:14
blackart
Account deleted
they are one of my fav bands

they always release good albums and seem to be a kick ass band on live gig.

the new mcd seems to be again a rock n roller
12.05.2008 - 02:32
Necrogeddon
Born Too Late
i love satyricon, they are one of my fav bands and i love the recent albums like volcano and now diabolical where they are more rock n roll and more swaggery.
----
'I wish you all had one neck and that I had my hands on it.'
14.05.2008 - 02:22
Gordon Freeman
Dark Medieval Times was a monument of the early black metal movement. I don't give a damn about the rest of their crappy material. Pretty bland live too. Satyr is kind of a joke.
----
God Dammit Doug! Take off your hat, Night Moves is playing. Don't be a prick man!

http://www.last.fm/user/Axl_The_Viking
28.09.2008 - 13:39
Dragonforce89
Account deleted
Morway BM is the best BM.
28.09.2008 - 15:50
AiwiAstwihad
AiryanaKhvarenah
you may criticise their music, the sound, etc BUT i wonder why some ppl consider Satyricon an below-average BM band just because they are NOT (theistic) satanists. Come on, Satan is JUST a symbol not a real deity, they ARE anti-relligion after all which is the core of BM idealogy IMO.

Q: I have read in one interview Satyr claimed not to be a satanist. What about inverted crosses, satanic lyrics and overall approach? Antichristian and satanic do differ, but have much in common either.

Frost: Satyr is no satanist, he has never been and never said so, but he surely belongs to the darkside . Satyr does not believe in satan, and strongly hates religion. However there are other approaches to the darkside than satanism. Yep, read the lyrics; they reflect his inner world of darkness without being satanic . No question - the contents of the lyrics are black as are the music we play, but this blackness is not tied up with the deity satan.
What antichristianity and satanism have in common is an antichristian ideology , nothing else. Antichristianity does not have anything to do with a belief in, or worship of any deity. Concerning the use of the peter cross (inverted cross), this is not only a satanic symbol, it is a symbol of the left hand path (the darkside), of antichristianity and really - of black metal. The peter cross is no doubt a powerful, evil symbol and should therefor be used with a certain
respect. Satyricon has made use of this symbol, and we fully stand for the darkness it represents.

Q: Optically you look like a Black Metal outfit, but is it really like that in your opinion when you look at your concept? Do you really cultivate Satan or is it your spiritual bondage with darkness?

Satyr: Spiritual bondage with darkness, misanthropy and strongest christ-hate in the world make us follow this path. Our drummer is a Satanist, me and Samoth aren't . I will continue to create majestic black metal for the black souls and spirits. My music is filled with atmospheres. If you think it's important, call it what you will. (Musically: Medieval Black Metal ?ed.)
----
You who will come to the surface
From the flood that's overwhelmed us and drowned us all
Must think, when you speak of our weakness in times of darkness
That you've not had to face
29.09.2008 - 23:51
Robstar
Fucking Satyricon... Great Norwegian Black metal... All their albums are good... Their last stuff was not that great ... I prefer their oldest shit,,, All hail Satyricon... Jajaj...
----
Nothing is unreacheable
30.09.2008 - 10:26
-DC-002-
Mastercommander
their first three albums were Awesome and their best. After that it kinda spiraled downwards. I respect them trying to try something original. I just turned out watered down and mainstream. They just became a transition band for people to get into better black metal.
----
Coldgrits
01.10.2008 - 00:59
matos
Written by -DC-002- on 30.09.2008 at 10:26

their first three albums were Awesome and their best. After that it kinda spiraled downwards. I respect them trying to try something original. I just turned out watered down and mainstream. They just became a transition band for people to get into better black metal.

well said.. even though i'd like to defend Satyricon and disagree with you just because you're american (no offence) i can't.
I tried so hard to like the new Satyricon, well the albums are not that bad but if you want to like them as Satyricon fan you just have to imagine they were made by a different band...
----
08.10.2008 - 15:43
matos
----
08.10.2008 - 16:40
Marilin
Account deleted
The sound will definitely be better on the upcoming album, but still- Black Crow On A Tombstone is just kickass one, typical good and overwhelming Satyricon.
31.10.2008 - 15:23
W-Lash
Metal Master
I listened a bit from the new one - boring as always actually.
31.10.2008 - 17:08
matos
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hzt1FoQo3sc
new video trailer, on metal archives it actually says:"A music video for "Black Crow on a Tombstone" was made" but i guess it hasen't been released yet.
----
31.10.2008 - 17:49
matos
oh just btw, album has already leaked
----
31.10.2008 - 20:11
Marilin
Account deleted
Written by matos on 31.10.2008 at 17:08

new video trailer, on metal archives it actually says:"A music video for "Black Crow on a Tombstone" was made" but i guess it hasen't been released yet.

It'll be presented on Monday, latest on Tuesday.
31.10.2008 - 23:40
Smurfkiller
Account deleted
Ugh, I have to put up with this band live soon. They okay their old stuff, and also Cradle of Filth is going to be there. Oh well, Septic Flesh is worth it.
01.11.2008 - 05:44
-DC-002-
Mastercommander
I'd see Satyricon when they come here but I hate Cradle of Filth and I don't know Septic Flesh. I don't REALLY like their new stuff and the chances of playing a good amount of old material in the 30 or so minutes on stage is very unlikely.
----
Coldgrits
01.11.2008 - 18:14
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by matos on 31.10.2008 at 17:49

oh just btw, album has already leaked

I bought it the day you posted this, so no wonder it has leaked. It is readily available in shops.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

01.11.2008 - 18:14
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Guest on 31.10.2008 at 20:11

I bought it yesterday (Friday October 31st) in a regular cd-shop, so it has been released already.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

01.11.2008 - 20:55
Marilin
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 01.11.2008 at 18:14

I bought it yesterday (Friday October 31st) in a regular cd-shop, so it has been released already.

The video you mean?
01.11.2008 - 20:56
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Guest on 01.11.2008 at 20:55

No The Age Of Nero ALBUM and it has a bonus cd

The video you mean?
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

01.11.2008 - 21:05
Marilin
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 01.11.2008 at 20:56

Written by Guest on 01.11.2008 at 20:55

No The Age Of Nero ALBUM and it has a bonus cd

The video you mean?

And the vid comes out on Monday. Or is it a hidden bonus material on the album?
01.11.2008 - 21:25
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Guest on 01.11.2008 at 21:05

I've got the cd on me. So let me look...

CD1 is The Age Of Nero
Bonus CD (2) consists of:
1. My Skin Is Cold (ep version)
2. Live Through Me (live from Gjallarhorn)
3. Existential Fear-questions (live from Gjallarhorn)
4. Repined Bastard Nation (live from Gjallarhorn)
5. Mother North (live from Gjallarhorn) [cd version]
6. The Pentagram Burns (radio edit)
7. Last Man Standing (guitar wall mix)
8. Den Siste (analog mix)
9. K.I.N.G. (music video)
10. The Pentagram Burns (music video)
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

01.11.2008 - 21:32
Marilin
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 01.11.2008 at 21:25

Written by Guest on 01.11.2008 at 21:05

I've got the cd on me. So let me look...

CD1 is The Age Of Nero
Bonus CD (2) consists of:
1. My Skin Is Cold (ep version)
2. Live Through Me (live from Gjallarhorn)
3. Existential Fear-questions (live from Gjallarhorn)
4. Repined Bastard Nation (live from Gjallarhorn)
5. Mother North (live from Gjallarhorn) [cd version]
6. The Pentagram Burns (radio edit)
7. Last Man Standing (guitar wall mix)
8. Den Siste (analog mix)
9. K.I.N.G. (music video)
10. The Pentagram Burns (music video)

Hehe...
But how about the vid. of "Black Crow on a Tombstone"?