Metal Storm logo
Do YouTube?

15.10.2009 - 11:45
destroyah
supercharger
Elite
Hey guys

The thing is, I'm working on a short-term research project on YouTube for my 'methods of anthropology' course and well, so far, progress has kinda been on the slow side. I've set up my own video blog and I'm semi-actively ploughing through the tons of video blogs on the site in search of a research subject. Yeah, this is science! (I'm totally not doing this for my own amusement.)

So my question to the MS community is - how many of you actually use YouTube actively? By actively I mean how many of you actually keep video diaries/blogs or just fool around with video editing?

Anyway, here are my first efforts to put my webcam to good use: http://www.youtube.com/user/tuhokas
----
About me:

"The best out of all the people ever" - Washington Post

"We abandoned Christ for Destroyah's love!" - The Watchtower

"Simply amazing!" - Rolling Stone
15.10.2009 - 13:52
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
In the past i had an account where i uploaded my videos edited together with metal songs...but it was banned lately due to copyright claims (never try to use 20th Century Fox materials for this purpose)

then i created other account for creating youtube videos playlists...but i forgot the password
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

15.10.2009 - 17:52
TheBigRossowski
Just to help your science project, I am not a youtuber. I watch videos on there or some google videos, from Dawkins to Carlin, but that's it, man.

Youtube has some interesting videos, but is also full of a lot of shit.
----
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?
15.10.2009 - 18:07
tulkas
el parcero
Yup, same here. I don't have the slightest clue on how to edit a video, for example, so I just use youtube to fool around and find interesting stuff to keep me entertained. I have my account there, but it's mainly just to keep my favorites saved so I don't have to look around everywhere every time I want to watch one of them.
----
love is like a jar of shit with a strawberry on top
15.10.2009 - 18:08
Haddonfield
Chucky's Bride
Same as Tulkas, he's begiining to annoy me, he's something of a copycat.
----

"Seasons don't fear the reaper. Nor do the wind, the sun and the rain (we can be like they are)."
15.10.2009 - 19:27
jupitreas
hi-fi / lo-life
Staff
I've used Youtube to publish various video projects of mine but I never video-blogged. Actually, it seems like all those video-bloggers are attention-seeking narcissistic dipshits with no talent.

OK, so probably not ALL of them, but you know what I mean...
15.10.2009 - 20:29
Angelique
Bitchy Moderator
Elite
Never published a single video in youtube, just like Jup I absolutely hate even the idea of video-bloggers as well as most of the blogs, attention-seeking is the keyword here I guess.. I don't understand why I'd have to be interested on any strangers opinions or daily stuff.. and why someone think people would be interested in their random shit.

The lack of interest towards blogs and video-blogs might be an age issue tho, I don't represent reality-tv generation really.
----
I have more faith in my plumber than I do the eternal being. Plumbers do a good job. They keep the shit flowing.
-C.Bukowski
15.10.2009 - 22:19
Ernis
狼獾
Written by destroyah on 15.10.2009 at 11:45

Anyway, here are my first efforts to put my webcam to good use: http://www.youtube.com/user/tuhokas

Yes, the cam's blurry...secondly....I hear the same irritating screeching sound that I hear when using the school computers...
And you look like my Moscow roommate....in a way...

Yes, I have a youtube account myself but it consists of just few fan-videos I made during a short video-editing course....
15.10.2009 - 22:44
Insineratehymn
Account deleted
I used to be on YouTube all the time, until they forced the beta channel design upon the entire community. The design was almost universally hated, and yet YouTube implemented it anyway. To me, YouTube was basically saying that you don't have a choice, and we are going to force upon you whatever we want and you can't stop us. I left YouTube the moment they changed my channel over to the beta design. I bear only resentment towards YouTube now, and I sincerely wish that the site will keel over.
19.10.2009 - 00:23
destroyah
supercharger
Elite
Written by Angelique on 15.10.2009 at 20:29

Never published a single video in youtube, just like Jup I absolutely hate even the idea of video-bloggers as well as most of the blogs, attention-seeking is the keyword here I guess.. I don't understand why I'd have to be interested on any strangers opinions or daily stuff.. and why someone think people would be interested in their random shit.

The lack of interest towards blogs and video-blogs might be an age issue tho, I don't represent reality-tv generation really.

Well, the video blogs I've come across seem to serve a variety of purposes, from attention-seeking for the sake of recognition to attention seeking to alleviate certain personal issues. Also, one of the reasons I'm probing you guys is because I know there are channels out there which are private and serve other purposes than the mere (and human) need for attention. Currently I'm interested in finding out more about such private channels.

But, just a question - why do you think video blogs are more needy of attention than, say, normal blogs?

@Viggo - so your Moscow roommate's that hot? Well, I tried...
----
About me:

19.10.2009 - 02:32
jupitreas
hi-fi / lo-life
Staff
Written by destroyah on 19.10.2009 at 00:23

But, just a question - why do you think video blogs are more needy of attention than, say, normal blogs?

Its easier to turn on a webcam and talk about some useless shit than to construct an interesting piece of text... Im sure there are some video blogs out there that are actually well written and performed (and maybe even well filmed and edited) but I havent seen very many of these. Not that I've looked very hard though...
19.10.2009 - 02:39
Haddonfield
Chucky's Bride
Written by jupitreas on 19.10.2009 at 02:32

Its easier to turn on a webcam and talk about some useless shit than to construct an interesting piece of text... Im sure there are some video blogs out there that are actually well written and performed (and maybe even well filmed and edited) but I havent seen very many of these. Not that I've looked very hard though...

Check out a guy called Ray William Johnson, he does a video blog where he takes the piss out of videos posted on the net. He is pretty funny.
----

"Seasons don't fear the reaper. Nor do the wind, the sun and the rain (we can be like they are)."
20.10.2009 - 20:13
Evil Chip
I just use it to see music videos or scenes from movies I like. Except from that I don't do any other things in youtube. I dont know how to edit a video and Im not interested in knowing by now.
20.10.2009 - 21:30
Elio
Red Nightmare
I have a profile ther but just to rate and comment stuff, I couldn't make vids to save my life.
----
IntoPlighT said: "Slipknot is 15 years old how the fuck is that Nu metal?"

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
25.10.2009 - 12:00
destroyah
supercharger
Elite
Written by Haddonfield on 19.10.2009 at 02:39

Written by jupitreas on 19.10.2009 at 02:32

Check out a guy called Ray William Johnson, he does a video blog where he takes the piss out of videos posted on the net. He is pretty funny.

He seems to be pretty cool. If you like him, try Michael Swaim's Cracked TV on cracked.com. His recent videos haven't been that great, but some of the older ones almost constitute comedy classics.

Written by Guest on 15.10.2009 at 22:44

I used to be on YouTube all the time, until they forced the beta channel design upon the entire community. The design was almost universally hated, and yet YouTube implemented it anyway. To me, YouTube was basically saying that you don't have a choice, and we are going to force upon you whatever we want and you can't stop us. I left YouTube the moment they changed my channel over to the beta design. I bear only resentment towards YouTube now, and I sincerely wish that the site will keel over.

Tell me more about the design, I've never paid much attention to it in the past. And what is it about it that sucks so much? So far it's been problem free for me. So far...
----
About me:

25.10.2009 - 20:45
Insineratehymn
Account deleted
Written by destroyah on 25.10.2009 at 12:00

Written by Guest on 15.10.2009 at 22:44

Tell me more about the design, I've never paid much attention to it in the past. And what is it about it that sucks so much? So far it's been problem free for me. So far...

First of all, it's written entirely in Javascript, poorly-written Javascript that somehow manages to lag on a computer with 4gigs of ram. It's big, bulky, and ugly, and it has no option to fully customize your userpage. The video section takes up most of the space while all of the other stuff is crammed down at the bottom. There are even empty spaces that are used for ads which I hate. With the old design, the videos were in pages with 20 videos on each page. With the new design, all of the videos are crammed onto a single page. This means that if the person has hundreds of videos, it will become nearly impossible to find the video you want.
25.10.2009 - 21:34
Baz Anderson
Staff
Written by Guest on 25.10.2009 at 20:45

You can still view pages with grids of videos:

http://www.youtube.com/user/MetalStormEE#g/u
(If it isn't like that right away, just click "see all" or whatever.)
25.10.2009 - 22:11
Insineratehymn
Account deleted
Written by Baz Anderson on 25.10.2009 at 21:34

Written by Guest on 25.10.2009 at 20:45

You can still view pages with grids of videos:

http://www.youtube.com/user/MetalStormEE#g/u
(If it isn't like that right away, just click "see all" or whatever.)

Even with that grid it's near impossible to find a certain video if the user has thousands of videos.
26.11.2009 - 00:22
nana.MD
Star-Queen
I've uploaded a couple of videos, it's an easy way to share them with my friends instead of emailing them or something like that...it's amazing the bunch of crazy stuff u can find there, quite funny, like those boys moymoy palaboy, heard about them?
----
Live how you want just don't feed on me, if you doubt what I say I will make you believe...
30.11.2009 - 04:52
MetallicA
I have an account as well. I uploaded some videos from Maryland Deathfest awhile back. They're nothing fancy, just recorded them with a digital camera.

If you want to have a look, my name on there is euronymous2005

I have no blog, just a few videos of MDF and some random things.
----

God's disciples want you to die!
In the blazing inferno
Slewed on Satan's pitchfork
Burning for eternity
Death
I see it coming your way
by my hand... or by your fate
with no remorse.