Poll

Who is best?

Offspring
Green Day

Total votes: 73
06.11.2009 - 17:30
Haddonfield
Chucky's Bride
I just recalled an article I read in a French magazine that compared, and even graded, certain aspects of these two bands. It was in the days of Warning and Conspiracy of One. Green Day finished on top I recall because of consistency. Today, Green Day have hit new heights and Offspring has somewhat faded out. I've never been a huge fan of Offspring and used to like Green Day's early before they turned into emo freaks. I'm not asking who you prefer but who you think is the better to see if the general opinion matches that of the magazine.
----

"Seasons don't fear the reaper. Nor do the wind, the sun and the rain (we can be like they are)."
06.11.2009 - 17:47
Elio
Red Nightmare
I've never really known a lot about Offspring but I've somewhat enjoyed Green Day when I was younger, so this would be my choice.

I've always liked more blink-182 tbh.
----
IntoPlighT said: "Slipknot is 15 years old how the fuck is that Nu metal?"

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
06.11.2009 - 17:59
Haddonfield
Chucky's Bride
Written by Elio on 06.11.2009 at 17:47

I've never really known a lot about Offspring but I've somewhat enjoyed Green Day when I was younger, so this would be my choice.

I've always liked more blink-182 tbh.

I like early Blink 182 too, it gets you in the to party, Stifler style.
----

"Seasons don't fear the reaper. Nor do the wind, the sun and the rain (we can be like they are)."
06.11.2009 - 18:10
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
I think its impossible for The Offspring to release any bad song ever...
----

----
member of the true crusade against old school heavy metal, early 80s thrash, NWOBHM, traditional doom, first and second wave black metal, old school death metal, US power metal, 70s prog rock and atmospheric doomsludgestoner. o/
06.11.2009 - 19:19
Syk
myspace/bonerama
IMO modern Green Day is just atrocious. I loved the fuck out of Offspring's Conspiracy of One, wish I didn't lose my disc, that was almost full of sweetness. Earlier material, I haven't heard a whole lot... would expect Offsp to come out on top but they may be about equal.

This probably sounds like all preference which isn't what you asked for, but as far as I know The Offspring haven't been scraping the bottom of the barrel for most of this decade so they get my vote.
----
death ? thrash ? death/doom/prog ? Hail Zoldon!

he's not the kind you have to wind up on Sundays
06.11.2009 - 19:40
Haddonfield
Chucky's Bride
Written by Syk on 06.11.2009 at 19:19

This probably sounds like all preference which isn't what you asked for, but as far as I know The Offspring haven't been scraping the bottom of the barrel for most of this decade so they get my vote.

That's why I done this thread, a whole decade has gone by since the article in that magazine. Whereas I see Warning an CoO as late material for each band, for younger people it is probably seen as early. In the 90s, Green Day were much more consistent in the quality of their work. Offspring seemed to peak with Smash, then faded away until Peaking again with Americana. The new decade has seen Offspring remain more or less true to themselves whereas Green Day moved in a different direction, abandoning their older fans for the more fashionable younger emo scene.
----

07.11.2009 - 09:56
Angelic Storm
Melodious
The Offspring. I don't think Green Day got THAT much more poppy to tell you the truth...I mean "2000 Light Years Away" is extremely poppy, and that was one of their early songs! For me, Green Day peaked with "Nimrod" which I feel is definitely their best album, and very underrated. The Offspring definitely got more poppy as time went on, but always managed to hold onto their early punk roots in doing so, I like both bands really, but I feel The Offspring have been a bit more consistent with the quality of their material, and havent strayed as far from their roots as Green Day have.
07.11.2009 - 12:28
Haddonfield
Chucky's Bride
Written by Angelic Storm on 07.11.2009 at 09:56

The Offspring. I don't think Green Day got THAT much more poppy to tell you the truth...I mean "2000 Light Years Away" is extremely poppy, and that was one of their early songs! For me, Green Day peaked with "Nimrod" which I feel is definitely their best album, and very underrated. The Offspring definitely got more poppy as time went on, but always managed to hold onto their early punk roots in doing so, I like both bands really, but I feel The Offspring have been a bit more consistent with the quality of their material, and havent strayed as far from their roots as Green Day have.

To me, Green Day peaked with Dookie and Insomniac, my favorite, and Nimrod were the result of Dookie's success. To me, they changed with Warning, went more radio friendly. Yes,they've always been pop but in their own way. They now cater for trends dressed in pseudo goth/emo uniforms a la Good Charlotte. It's their whole attitude that has changed, they no longer make music for fun but for fortune and fame.
----

07.11.2009 - 12:43
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Haddonfield on 07.11.2009 at 12:28
To me, Green Day peaked with Dookie and Insomniac, my favorite, and Nimrod were the result of Dookie's success. To me, they changed with Warning, went more radio friendly. Yes,they've always been pop but in their own way. They now cater for trends dressed in pseudo goth/emo uniforms a la Good Charlotte. It's their whole attitude that has changed, they no longer make music for fun but for fortune and fame.

"Dookie" and "Insomniac" are great albums, especially the latter, which Id say is more consistently good then "Nimrod" even if it's not as creative as that album! Yep, they did change with "Warning", but I have to say I found stuff to like on that album, and even "American Idiot". But their latest album is just too much, and too far for me. There's not even a trace of the old Green Day left in their sound, and that really sucks. Wheras the latest album by The Offspring, while definitely being the most commercial thing they've ever done, has songs like "Hammerhead" and "Trust In You" which could have came straight off "Smash". I hope they don't continue even further into the commercial direction of their latest, and have more of their punkier style on the next album. But at least The Offspring still sound like The Offspring. Green Day sound almost like a different band entirely if you took away Billie Joe's vocals. I do like Green Day, and Im not one of these metalheads that gets out the crucifixes for them, but their latest album is really bad.
07.11.2009 - 17:40
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Its hard quasten, but I choose Green Day, because I like both bands in old realises, but Offspring hasnt impresed me whit lst albums. but Green Day tehre some songs what I like, even eraly albums I prefere offspring more how Green Day , but nowdays Green Day paly lil better even I doubt I ever will buy both band albums even own Offspring tape
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
07.11.2009 - 18:17
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
I never liked The Offspring. I don't appreciate the punk influences in their music that I view as really boring.

Before metal, i quite liked Green Day and their image is the less important thing imo. So I don't care if they look kinda goth/emo gays nowdays. I enjoyed American Idiot. So ti was an easy choice for me.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
07.11.2009 - 18:25
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by X-Ray Rod on 07.11.2009 at 18:17
Before metal, i quite liked Green Day and their image is the less important thing imo. So I don't care if they look kinda goth/emo gays nowdays. I enjoyed American Idiot. So ti was an easy choice for me.

I find it interesting that so many people say they liked Green Day before they got into metal. I had been a metalhead for years before I even knew about Green Day! I don't like limiting my music tastes like a lot of metalheads insist on doing. Most of the music I listen to is metal, but I like some other stuff too. Ive also never cared about the image a band has. The whole band could look emo, and be gay, but if they were still writing albums like ''Nimrod'', I wouldnt care!

I like "American Idiot". Mainly because there's still some elements of the old Green Day in there, wheras with "21st Century Breakdown", they've just changed way too much.
07.11.2009 - 18:33
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Angelic Storm on 07.11.2009 at 18:25

I find it interesting that so many people say they liked Green Day before they got into metal. I had been a metalhead for years before I even knew about Green Day! I don't like limiting my music tastes like a lot of metalheads insist on doing. Most of the music I listen to is metal, but I like some other stuff too. Ive also never cared about the image a band has. The whole band could look emo, and be gay, but if they were still writing albums like ''Nimrod'', I wouldnt care!

I like "American Idiot". Mainly because there's still some elements of the old Green Day in there, wheras with "21st Century Breakdown", they've just changed way too much.

I haven't heard the latest albums and from the comments I've heard I don't think I will any time soon.
I don't listen to metal all the time either. If you look at my favorite bands there is metal with other stuff like Post-Rock, Trip-hop and Rock/Pop
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
16.11.2009 - 08:39
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
I don't like either band, but I voted for Green Day. Sure they sold out with Dookie and continue to make themselves look like cunts, but Kerplunk! is a cool punky/grunge album, or whatever you would call it. I have not liked any song I've heard by The Offspring.

I love their cover of My Generation by The Who. I have such fond memories of Kerplunk!. I used to blast that album while playing Perfect Dark 64 in 7th grade
16.11.2009 - 19:25
Hamird
Lieutenant
I'm not really into this kind of Rock, maybe I used to be when I was a die hard Nirvana fan.. But from what I've heard from the both bands, I prefer Offspring rather than Green Day. Actually I never liked Green Day.
16.11.2009 - 20:21
tulkas
el parcero
Written by X-Ray Rod on 07.11.2009 at 18:17

I never liked The Offspring. I don't appreciate the punk influences in their music that I view as really boring.

Same here. Green Day over The Offspring, though I never really got into them.
----
love is like a jar of shit with a strawberry on top
16.11.2009 - 21:54
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
How come you guys simply don't like Offspring??

Its just.. music for anytime.. simple to hear, simple to enjoy.. and because they never change I always have at least some good music to hear at the radio..

Other thing... they will hardly become emo like Green Day
----

----
member of the true crusade against old school heavy metal, early 80s thrash, NWOBHM, traditional doom, first and second wave black metal, old school death metal, US power metal, 70s prog rock and atmospheric doomsludgestoner. o/
16.11.2009 - 22:46
Haddonfield
Chucky's Bride
Written by Uirapuru on 16.11.2009 at 21:54

Its just.. music for anytime.. simple to hear, simple to enjoy.. and because they never change I always have at least some good music to hear at the radio..

I agree, I just always preferred Green Day to Offspring before 2000, after that I must agree Offspring are the better band.
----

17.11.2009 - 00:38
Warman
Erotic Stains
I hate both, but my vote goes to Offspring. Because I liked them when I was like seven years old.
----
17.11.2009 - 00:47
Ragana
Rawrcat
The Offspring. They're more fun and less whiny compared to Green Day, imo.

HIT THAT, HIT THAT!
17.11.2009 - 00:49
Angelic Storm
Melodious

Some might say Green Day were always "emo". Billie Joe writing a song about coming to terms with his bi-sexuality ("Coming Clean") might strike some as "emo". Not me, I wouldn't, but some might.

I can honestly say I've never really disliked anything Green Day have put out, apart from their latest album. Which is mostly a lot of rubbish. At least "American Idiot" had about 5 songs which I really enjoyed. Even if the rest was crap.
17.11.2009 - 00:57
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
Written by Angelic Storm on 17.11.2009 at 00:49

Some might say Green Day were always "emo". Billie Joe writing a song about coming to terms with his bi-sexuality ("Coming Clean") might strike some as "emo". Not me, I wouldn't, but some might.

I can honestly say I've never really disliked anything Green Day have put out, apart from their latest album. Which is mostly a lot of rubbish. At least "American Idiot" had about 5 songs which I really enjoyed. Even if the rest was crap.

I dont know Green Day all that well. But it looks to me that they have take the same direction of bands like Sum41 and Blindside. Started as a cheesy punk, pretty fun to listen anytime and mostly radio ballads. But with their growing success changed into emotional stuff way too much.

With Offspring that didnt happen. Althou they have their ''less happy'' songs (Gone Away, Vultures and some of their last album), the good mood of most of the songs contaminates me
----

----
17.11.2009 - 01:06
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Uirapuru on 17.11.2009 at 00:57
I dont know Green Day all that well. But it looks to me that they have take the same direction of bands like Sum41 and Blindside. Started as a cheesy punk, pretty fun to listen anytime and mostly radio ballads. But with their growing success changed into emotional stuff way too much.

With Offspring that didnt happen. Althou they have their ''less happy'' songs (Gone Away, Vultures and some of their last album), the good mood of most of the songs contaminates me

The Offspring did do the same thing to a certain extent. 3 songs on the new album are completely a more alt-rock, emotional style than their other stuff. Though only "A Lot Like Me" came out sounding good, and seeing the experimentation paying off. The main difference between The Offspring and Green Day, is The Offspring haven't completely abandoned their older style, as there's 2 songs on the new album which sound like their "Smash" era material.
20.12.2009 - 01:19
The Shape
I say the Offspring, because Americana is a great album.. Although the rest of their stuff isn't nearly as good.
----
24.01.2010 - 03:21
Xim
Rocker of Worlds
I voted Green Day.

Offspring's early stuff sounds disturbingly like new-wave music to me and their new stuff is just generic not-so-alternative rock which doesn't really interest me that much.

Green Day's new stuff is also generic not-so-alternative rock, but their earlier stuff is quite good in my opinion. Their album Dookie is actually one of my favourite albums in general and has a lot of personal nostalgia for me.
30.01.2010 - 06:58
Edible Autopsy
I voted Green Day, I wouldn't say I'm a fan of either band but I do like a few complete Green Day albums. The Offspring never interested me that much.

But any band that can release Dookie, Insomniac and Nimrod would get my vote in any poll.
----
So let it be written
So let it be done
I've be sent here by the chosen one

So let it be written
So let it be done
To kill the first born pharoah son

I'm Creeping Death
24.12.2010 - 16:06
JD
Account deleted
I don't listin to both but voted to Green Day they have some good songs, i also heard The Offspring they are good.
03.01.2011 - 11:48
CFCVinn
Green day vs offspring?!?!?!? way to difficult!
03.01.2011 - 14:25
Damned-In-Black
I vote Offspring. They were among my favourite bands as I was growing up and I still like pretty much everything they released, from the very early days & onwards. What I heard from Greenday years ago was decent but nowadays they're releasing absolute tripe, so easy vote.
14.01.2011 - 00:19
Zenzero
Zenzero
Obviously Green Day