Metal Storm logo
Programming Languages

Poll

What is your favourite programming language?

C/C++
Java/C#
Perl/Ruby
Python
Other (please state)
Pascal/Delphi/Ada
BASIC/VB
Lisp
Fortran/COBOL

Total votes: 18
29.11.2009 - 16:49
Immortal
Firstly, I am aware that a preference of a language at a given time can only be determined by the task (or challenge) in hand but I'm asking this question more light-heartedly. Is there a certain language you prefer because of its syntax compared to another? Maybe there's one particular language which has always served you well for everything you've needed it to? It could just be because you like its name! Whatever the reason, it would be interesting to see if there are many other programmers on Metalstorm, the languages used and why.

Obviously the list would have to be incredibly long to name every single language in existence so I've tried to combine similar languages and also tried not to seperatly list languages that are closely related. I've focused on the more general purpose languages, rather than those tied to a specific use but if, say for example, you're into web development using ASP, PHP etc. still feel free to contribute.
----
"Hope is the greatest of all evils, for it prolongs the torment of man." - Friedrich Nietzsche
29.11.2009 - 17:38
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
I am currently working with Java in school and doing some web development in PHP...the basics of programming i learned with Pascal/Delphi, but now i dont feel to return to it ever again...and i never worked in other languages mentioned, so my vote went for Java
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

29.11.2009 - 19:31
AiwiAstwihad
AiryanaKhvarenah
Java, that's the one i use mostly.
Have worked with Pascal, Delphi, C, C++, C#, BASIC, VB, etc ... Just a bit...But don't remember that much from the syntax...Anyway, syntax ain't a big deal.
----
You who will come to the surface
From the flood that's overwhelmed us and drowned us all
Must think, when you speak of our weakness in times of darkness
That you've not had to face
29.11.2009 - 22:13
Ernis
狼獾
I don't know any single one of them....

I'd have nothing against learning some of these one day tho....
03.12.2009 - 05:13
Raiden
Down Under Staff
Elite
Well I know some Visual Basic and Java but I don't particularly like either of them. They're too long winded. As soon as I learned that I could do text processing with a program of 10 times fewer lines of code with Perl I was sold. I prefer web programming more but yeah I enjoy coding in Perl and PHP the most. I've thought of learning Python and Ruby one day although Ruby does look a bit weird.

Does XSL count as a programming language? I would say it almost does Anyway that's the most recent one I've learnt and I don't mind it too.
----
"Scream for me Melbourne!!!!"
- Bruce Dickinson

"I don't see any god up here"
- Yuri Gagarin (while in orbit, 1961)
04.12.2009 - 18:10
Hamird
Lieutenant
I've just learned Pascal and C++ so far in classes.. But I started learning HTML by myself and PHP in future.. Mainly I more like to write for web.
But I use no specific softwares.. I used to work with Visual Studio .NET but after converting to Linux, I became a notepad (text editor) writer.. That SO cooler than softwares.. I really enjoy writing in text editor.. I just installed compilers for C++, C and Java and the rest goes to a text editor..
04.12.2009 - 19:33
Immortal
Written by Raiden on 03.12.2009 at 05:13

Does XSL count as a programming language? I would say it almost does

Yup, I'm pretty sure it does, too.
----
"Hope is the greatest of all evils, for it prolongs the torment of man." - Friedrich Nietzsche
06.12.2009 - 16:31
AiwiAstwihad
AiryanaKhvarenah
...Don't miss the joy of Assembly. Making your system crash deliberatly by simply causing an overflow in a register could be kinda entertaining!
----
You who will come to the surface
From the flood that's overwhelmed us and drowned us all
Must think, when you speak of our weakness in times of darkness
That you've not had to face
07.12.2009 - 11:46
Khaldi
My favorite programming language is a C++ , but i working with Actionscript 3 in flash and flex (new version called flash builder ) , currently i have downloaded beta version of flash builder for 60 days tryal , but i hope final release should come soon .
----
Urartu is a NeoHittite and ProtoArmenian kingdom !!
08.12.2009 - 06:22
Immortal
Written by AiwiAstwihad on 06.12.2009 at 16:31

...Don't miss the joy of Assembly.

Joy? Assembly? ...
----
08.12.2009 - 10:13
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Why not?
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

08.12.2009 - 10:28
Immortal
Written by Ellrohir on 08.12.2009 at 10:13

Why not?

Too much like hard work lol
----
08.12.2009 - 14:38
Raiden
Down Under Staff
Elite
Written by Immortal on 04.12.2009 at 19:33

Written by Raiden on 03.12.2009 at 05:13

Does XSL count as a programming language? I would say it almost does

Yup, I'm pretty sure it does, too.

Sweet well there's another one that I like a bit (jury is still out a little )

@AiwiAstwihad: I remember having to do that in an assignment using C (well a buffer overflow anyway). Quite mind-boggling I found!
----
"Scream for me Melbourne!!!!"
- Bruce Dickinson

"I don't see any god up here"
- Yuri Gagarin (while in orbit, 1961)
09.12.2009 - 03:00
Derwood
Commodore basic!

Seriously, my programming skills date to DOS 5.0 and Turbo Pascal 3.2

Hell, I even programmed in Logo.

Anyone remember Turtle Graphics?

Fuck I'm old.
----
You can't fight evil with a macaroni duck!
09.12.2009 - 11:43
Immortal
Written by Derwood on 09.12.2009 at 03:00

Commodore basic!

Seriously, my programming skills date to DOS 5.0 and Turbo Pascal 3.2

Hell, I even programmed in Logo.

Anyone remember Turtle Graphics?

Fuck I'm old.

What the hell are all of those Just kidding, I kinda wish I was around in the early days of programming (on a home computer, that is) just watch how it all turned out. Do you still continue to program today or is it a thing of the past for you?
----
09.12.2009 - 22:15
Derwood
Written by Immortal on 09.12.2009 at 11:43

What the hell are all of those Just kidding, I kinda wish I was around in the early days of programming (on a home computer, that is) just watch how it all turned out. Do you still continue to program today or is it a thing of the past for you?

Even though I was doing some fairly advanced programming back in the day, those skills have not only gotten rusty but have fully crumbled into a fine iron oxide powder. It's one of the things that if I had it to do all over again I would change; I would go to university and get a degree, or at the very least pursue a serious hacking career. I was good at it.

I started on a Commodore Vic 20 with a cassette for external memory. It was barely past the punch card era, really. I think I was about 10, but I might be off by a year or two. Basic sucked. Pascal was such a massive improvement and what I did my most serious programming in. Dabbled a little in COBOL and Fortran; Logo was never anything more than a diversion. I even had one device that I had to program directly in hexidecimal.
----
You can't fight evil with a macaroni duck!
18.01.2012 - 14:48
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Currently learning java in my final year in college.My fav language and the one i'm most proficient with too.Wonder what language this site written in, i assume its php ??
18.01.2012 - 15:28
ANGEL REAPER
I study computing ...so i work with C/C++/C# and ASSEMBLY language, will learn java ...
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
18.01.2012 - 15:56
Spirit Molecule
spirit molecule
What, just one indian on this thread???

I don't know any I could help with tech support
----
If you never wake up from a dream does it become reality?

Last fm
Don't click here
20.01.2012 - 23:38
vezzy
Stallmanite
ENGLISH.

I am also epic BBCode expertz.

Seriously though, I'm decent at general web programming/structure - HTML and CSS (after much procrastination, I decided to crash course, get serious, etc.) and I currently have to make a website with an accomplice of mine for some serious business school IT project, but I'm no good at any other languages. Oh, I remember a few Batch commands and snippets of Visual Basic code, but besides that, nope.
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
07.03.2012 - 13:27
Immortal
Looking back at this, I really should have either listed Python with C and C++ or not at all. Never mind.
----
21.06.2012 - 21:10
Hendrikse
Account deleted
Been learning VB.Net on/off for about a year for college coursework. Basically made a program today where I made an aeroplane kill a terrorist using timers.

Pretty alright for only 1-hours work.
22.06.2012 - 00:17
Thrashette
I can't say I have a favourite programming language, since it's not something I particularly enjoyed and probably won't be doing it again (no more programming classes and no desire to do it for work or *shudders* fun). Java was my first one, then I learnt C++ and C, and I knew some bits and pieces of COBOL because of my former job... I think I'll vote Java since I've had the most fun times with that on my high school's programming team
11.07.2012 - 00:53
Sync
Account deleted
Off into town tommorow to get a beginners Python book. Hopefully over the summer I can get into ASP.NET, VB.NET - more, MySQL and obviously that Python book. Should help me a little more to get into Uni