Metal Storm logo
Canadian Death Metal

29.07.2006 - 08:34
Endoftherainbow
I created a thread exactly like this on the old metalstorm and I think it's time to recreate because I found it really interesting. So what's your favorite Canadian Death Metal band? What's your favorite album/song by that band? What do you think of the Canadian Death Metal Scene? Do you think Canadian Death Metal has it's own distinct sound?

My favorite Canadian Death Metal band is Quo Vadis. They combine amazing technical guitar riffs with great basslines and the superb drumming from Yanic Bercier. My favorite album from them is Defiant Imagination because it contains my favorite song which is Break the Cycle but another favorite song of mine from them is called Dream which contains some really great melodies.
Right now I think the Death Metal Scene here is doing kinda shitty except in Quebec shits going on down there that's pretty awsome. As for Canadian Death Metal having a distinct sound I'm not so sure but most of it is quite chaotic and technical and features some of the most insane double kick I've ever heard.
29.07.2006 - 13:05
ylside
Staff
Well that's the tricky thing with Canadian Death Metal, each band is unique ! I can't say that there is a Canadian sound, like the USA or Swedish one.
My top 3 would be :
1-Cryptopsy : The guitar lines of John Levasseur will never cease to amaze me.
2-Gorguts : Controlled Chaos <3
3-Martyr : Soo rythmic and enjoyable.

Others I've heard : Quo Vadis (never could get into them) and Obliveon (great band that is)
29.07.2006 - 14:38
Varoth
Account deleted
Something that is surely noticeable, is that many Canadian DM bands like their death metal technical such as Obliveon, Martyr, Quo Vadis, etc.
My favourite ones are Slaughter, Obliveon and Martyr. Slaughter's "Strappado" is a classic. Favourite song off that album would probably be "Maim To Please", or the title song, "Strappado".
29.07.2006 - 19:36
Wo0dy
Account deleted
Quo Vadis is pretty good man, i just got into them recently and they have alot of good stuff..
30.07.2006 - 00:25
Pyro
Account deleted
Don't forget to mention Kataklysm. Their first album, Sorcery, is an excellent release. And I've heard god things about their latest album "In the Arms of Devastation".
30.07.2006 - 01:32
Daru Jericho
Well my absolute favourite is Crytpopsy. Just can't get enough of their drumming. Kataklysm are second after that.
----
Aborted Misanthropic Smurf Puppy On Acid.

30.07.2006 - 01:46
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
Well, what is Strapping Young Lad considered these days?
----
The force will be with you, always.
30.07.2006 - 02:10
Endoftherainbow
I don't really know what genre to put them under because they're a combination of so many genres that it's hard to truly classify them.
30.07.2006 - 02:13
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
My favorite Canadian Death Metal band is Kataklysm. They've remained fairly consistent over the years and put on a great live show. The drumming is amazing and the guitar riffs are also really good.
30.07.2006 - 21:50
Aborted_Fetus
Account deleted
There is nothing in Kataklysm, it's an empty music,,noise(for me)
My top is as follows:
Cryptopsy-None so vile
Quo Vadis-passage in time, defiant imagination
Gorguts
31.07.2006 - 02:01
John Barleycorn
Minimalist
Written by Dangerboner on 31.07.2006 at 01:30

If anything is just noise it's Cryptopsy....

Hell, Gorguts doesn't even play together.

I sense a fight and a chance to participate In my opinion, Kataklysm is maybe one of the most boring death metal bands out there, at least from those bands that are relatively popular. "Generic" is the keyword here. I bought "Serenity in Fire" about a year ago, listened to it 2-3 times and gave it away -i it was just so boring and uninspired.
Cryptopsy, on the other hand, is original and displays quite a lot of diversity, not to mention that the drumming is objectively magnificent. Drumming in Kataklysm is very fast but quite repetitive, impossible to compare with mighty Flo. And if someone thinks they make noise then he/she should train his/her ears more.

And Gorguts was out of this world. "Obscura" is one of my favourite albums. They really showed new possibilities in death metal and for that I consider them to be the best Canadian death metal band, despite them being disbanded. Although Cryptopsy definitely comes close and probably is equally good. Gorguts was just more captivating for me.
31.07.2006 - 02:02
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
I didn't want to fight. I like Cryptopsy, but I don't like it when people bash bands in broad terms.

Serenity in Fire really isn't the best example of Kataklysm. Sorcery and Temple of Knowledge are good, but very chaotic. Shadows and Dust is my favorite of theirs. It's very fast yet structured.
31.07.2006 - 02:18
John Barleycorn
Minimalist
This "fight" wasn´t meant seriously, anyway. I haven´t heard those albums so I maybe will check them out, some day. I tend to judge bands quite quickly but I can excuse myself by pointing to the huge number of bands I want to listen to, so sometimes quick judgements are necessary.
31.07.2006 - 05:48
nana.MD
Star-Queen
...i think canadian metal has alot talented bands, i haven't listened to all of them but i'm doing that and looking forward to hear new ones...imo the best are quo vadis, martyr & cryptopsy
----
Live how you want just don't feed on me, if you doubt what I say I will make you believe...
31.07.2006 - 11:21
Sekhmet
Electric Witch
I haven't listened to every Canadian band, but I really enjoy Quo Vadis, Gorguts and Martyr. It seems that Cryptosy is quite popular in this thread, I should check them out!! (not a big fan of Kataklysm either)
----
I wish I had a mental survival kit...
31.07.2006 - 14:44
Xtreme Jax
Psycroptipath
My favourite Canadian DM bands would have to be Cryptopsy and Kataklysm, both are killer bands and everything is just excellent.

From what ive heard Quo Vadis and Martyr are very worth looking into. Any recommendations people from these two bands?
----

Hellcunt Smurf
31.07.2006 - 16:19
Ruines
Account deleted
It's sad the only bands mentionned thus far are Kataklysm, Quo Vadis, Gorguts, Martyr and Cryptopsy.

Utopy(R.I.P), The Truckers, Astral Gates, Despised Icon, Ion Dissonance, Axis of Advance, Vortex, etc. are all really good band, to tell a few names.
31.07.2006 - 23:01
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Ion Dissonance isn't death metal.
31.07.2006 - 23:06
Sekhmet
Electric Witch
Written by Guest on 31.07.2006 at 16:19

It's sad the only bands mentionned thus far are Kataklysm, Quo Vadis, Gorguts, Martyr and Cryptopsy.

Utopy(R.I.P), The Truckers, Astral Gates, Despised Icon, Ion Dissonance, Axis of Advance, Vortex, etc. are all really good band, to tell a few names.

Well, help us discover more bands through this thread (gonna have a look at the bands you mentionned)
----
I wish I had a mental survival kit...
31.07.2006 - 23:28
Ruines
Account deleted
The Truckers : http://www.myspace.com/thetruckersrock
It's really more metalcore than death tought

Vortex : http://www.myspace.com/vortexmetal

Those are two bands from my hometown which are really appreciated. For the more "gore/brutal death-obsessed", check out
Cumgun : http://www.myspace.com/cumgun

Also check out Neuraxis, which are getting quite big : http://www.myspace.com/neuraxis
01.08.2006 - 06:41
Immortal Plague
Bloodshedder
WHAT???!!!! do i hear people bashing Cryptopsy, they are the best Canandian Death Metal band without a dought, they create some of the most unique riffs ever made, they have very talented band members, and eeryone contributes in that band, everyone does their part equally, they are legendary, and without a dought are the best Canandian death metal band, and Gorguts are awsome too.
04.10.2006 - 13:23
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
For me there are only fiew death metal band swhat i know from Canada, if death/doom dont counds, but even in this genre Canada are poor

first:
Quo Vadis - Werry great abnd and its one of my fav bands of that gernre
Martyr - Well its great band lil simmilar how Quo Vadis
Cryptpsy and Cataclism - Eh never like them

Alos I known Shymphaty but I dont like it

This is all what I know, but reading post I remeber some names but dunno if I know how thay sounds
But Im suprised here nobody didnt mentiom Slaughter old shool band from Canada who play in 80ties similar how Possessed inm USA
''Strappado'' and ''Not Dead Yet'' are great albums
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
05.10.2006 - 01:46
Mega-Slayer
Written by Bad English on 04.10.2006 at 13:23

For me there are only fiew death metal band swhat i know from Canada, if death/doom dont counds, but even in this genre Canada are poor

first:

This is all what I know, but reading post I remeber some names but dunno if I know how thay sounds
But Im suprised here nobody didnt mentiom Slaughter old shool band from Canada who play in 80ties similar how Possessed inm USA

Slaughter was a great undergorund band of the 80's,I haven't yet bought "Strappado",cuz its so fucking expensive,but I do enjoy the song "Tales Of The Macabre" and "Disinegrator\Incinerator".Your right though,they played old school death like Possessed,"Strappado" is probably the second Death metal release.
----

Intestinally Punctured Smurf
05.10.2006 - 02:10
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Mega-Slayer on 05.10.2006 at 01:46

Written by Bad English on 04.10.2006 at 13:23

first:

Slaughter was a great undergorund band of the 80's,I haven't yet bought "Strappado",cuz its so fucking expensive,but I do enjoy the song "Tales Of The Macabre" and "Disinegrator\Incinerator".Your right though,they played old school death like Possessed,"Strappado" is probably the second Death metal release.

I had hear 2 albums, what I mention there nd I think this band are mix between Possessed and Monstrocity
strapaddo are secend official realise of them, firts was demo forgot name nd of course demos, but owner of them are lucky bastard
but Possessed was underground too, so this band are too i think best Canadian death metal band, best Canadian band hmm
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
07.10.2006 - 04:00
PRIMAL FEAR
Account deleted
Written by Endoftherainbow on 30.07.2006 at 02:10

I don't really know what genre to put them under because they're a combination of so many genres that it's hard to truly classify them.

They'd be Avantgarde/Industrial Thrash imo, i'll get back onto the topic now,lol.

My favourite band, like many others is Quo Vadis, what they compose is just unbelievable, the sinergy between every instrument used is just brilliant and is something I could have never imagined, not even in a hundred years. Their best album would have to be Day Into Night, although their most recent album would be a close follower: "Defiant Imagination".
15.03.2010 - 05:12
Huxly
Does nobody know of Autaric? Their an awesome death metal band outta Saskachewan
----
Thrash Forever
18.03.2010 - 11:14
Hylia
Written by Immortal Plague on 01.08.2006 at 06:41

WHAT???!!!! do i hear people bashing Cryptopsy, they are the best Canandian Death Metal band without a dought, they create some of the most unique riffs ever made, they have very talented band members, and eeryone contributes in that band, everyone does their part equally, they are legendary, and without a dought are the best Canandian death metal band, and Gorguts are awsome too.

Wow, your pretty defensive! I agree Cryptopsy are the best dm band from Canada before the unspoken king. I really cannot listen to that album at all, the vocals are horrible imo. But everything before that was great, I saw them live when Lord Worm was still in the band and they put on a great show.
24.03.2010 - 15:57
SilentScream
Blasphemer
What!? Nobody has mentionned Overthrow yet??? Within Suffering is a death/thrash classic!

03.05.2010 - 20:53
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
I was just listening to Purulence earlier and they absolutely kicked ass. They just don't make Death Metal like this anymore. I highly recommend them.

http://www.myspace.com/purulence1
----
The force will be with you, always.
04.05.2010 - 19:12
ylside
Staff
Written by SilentScream on 24.03.2010 at 15:57

What!? Nobody has mentionned Overthrow yet??? Within Suffering is a death/thrash classic!

What a tight sound, awesome. I am going to get the album in a bit then.