Porcupine Tree
Orphaned Land
Arcturus
Riverside
Pain Of Salvation

Total votes: 78
20.01.2010 - 02:47
cold103
I left out Tool, Dream Theater, and Opeth because of the popularity of those bands. They would likely be in the lead because of their popularity.

If you vote for "other", specify which band.

My vote goes to Ayreon. I love most of Ayreon's work. The album "Into The Electric Castle" is a must-hear!
20.01.2010 - 07:30
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
http://www.metalstorm.ee/forum/topic.php?topic_id=1656

A good idea for a poll, so good in fact that it's been done before. Cheers!
----
The force will be with you, always.
20.01.2010 - 13:59
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Other Pyschotic Waltz specely firts albyum I can listen many many times song I remeber and never be bored from it but Prof is not my but there some bands from list Arturus even I disagree they dont belongs here and also if Arcturus is Opeth shood be to
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
20.01.2010 - 15:30
macraigma
I wont be voting because I've only listened to 3 of those bands and of course Dream Theater, I'm not a big fan of Opeth nor am I a fan of Tool. I have all of Symphony X and I've heard some of Ayreon (will be getting 'into the electric castle' soon). I only have the one album from Porcupine Tree 'In Absentia'. So if I had to choose I would be picking either Dream Theater or Symphony X based on what I have heard from the bands listed in the poll.
----
"Now for the weak an abortion
Celebrate perfection that grows
The flesh, a gift of science
The soul a fault of a god"
21.01.2010 - 14:00
Powerslavex
Alexskywalker
My best out of the pile is Orphaned Land, i just love Mabool
21.01.2010 - 18:36
elekctric
I voted other and here is why ... I was checking out the band for the prog nation tour last year and Pain Of Salvation and Beardfish were to be on the bill so I had to check em out ... Sadly neither made the US tour but through sheer misfortune of planning ahead I got HOOKED on Beardfish ... so that would have been my pick
22.01.2010 - 03:16
ToMegaTherion
My vote is for Ayreon, Arjen is a master of prog, and a musical genius. But is am unsure of the reason for the exclusion of Opeth from this list, they should be in this list as one of the best know and most reputable prog bands on the scene, Dream Theater as well are another exclusion that makes little sense to me, but anyway it dosn't really matter, maybe it is just the personal preferance of the thread creater which is fair enough. After all it is exactly that- 'personal preference'.
23.01.2010 - 19:16
Ag Fox
Angel No More
Elite
Is Arcturus prog?
----
loves 小巫
23.01.2010 - 20:34
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
Written by Ag Fox on 23.01.2010 at 19:16

Is Arcturus prog?

I suppose so...they're very out there and use a lot of symphonic stuff...a lot of their stuff is pretty progressive, yeah...
23.01.2010 - 21:01
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
Elite
My vote goes to Riverside... I don't think there is a song by them I dislike. They are very good at conveying emotion in their music, just like Pain Of Salvation and Porcupine Tree, but have a different sound from those two. It's hard to describe it, but PoS and PT seem to be comfortable in the standards of their progressive rock influences (as apparent on Fear Of A Blank Planet with the appearances of Fripp and Lifeson) and Pain of Salvation have always reminded me of Van der Graaf Generator, something about the structure. Riverside don't remind me any other unconnected band- save maybe Tool, but that is still barely a reminder. It's a bit unfair to judge a band with fewer albums as better, but I am predicting that Riverside will only continue to improve in the future.
23.01.2010 - 22:31
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Contributor
Ewww...tough choices but I voted for other. Maybe you didn't put Fates Warning on the list because of popularity but IMO they are the pioneers of progressive metal hence they are my choice.
----
rekt
23.01.2010 - 22:41
cold103
As to why a few bands were excluded, see the original post.

Written by Clintagräm on 20.01.2010 at 07:30

But this thread has a poll and that one doesn't.
23.01.2010 - 23:29
I'm not a big fan of progressive metal, but there are a few bands that I really enjoy listening to. Out of the list put up there, however, I would not consider most of those bands to be progressive. As for Tool and Opeth, I don't like either one because they feel too bland. The only actual progressive bands listed up there are Riverside, Pain of Salvation, and somewhat Symphony X (I like to think of them as a bit more power metal). And out of those 3, there's an obvious choice: SYMPHONY X.

Symphony X is actually pretty damn near reaching god status with a few of their albums that are pure genius, which is why I voted for them mostly. Plus...I couldn't think of any other progressive band that would beat them.
----
DEATH 4 LYF3
24.01.2010 - 10:25
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
Written by cold103 on 23.01.2010 at 22:41

As to why a few bands were excluded, see the original post.

Written by Clintagräm on 20.01.2010 at 07:30

But this thread has a poll and that one doesn't.

Whether or not the poll exists doesn't really matter. Maybe if this was a "Best Prog Band out of these" and then list them. But when you have an "Other" option it opens it up for ANY prog band. I just feel it's redundant.
----
The force will be with you, always.
24.01.2010 - 18:13
DayFly
Agree with Clint W. Having a poll is not an asset, it's a liability in this case.
25.01.2010 - 17:24
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
I agree with Clint W. and DayFly. This thread is pointless. Especially since you haven't even explained the reason for the bands chosen. And definitely the "other" option is just unnecessary. I wonder where the staff are looking. This is supposed to be closed.
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
29.01.2010 - 16:54
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
As everyone knows by now, Riverside is my favourite band. But a lot of the bands on the poll and outside are among my favourites as well. But yes, I think Riverside deserves it just based on their originality and risk taking. It's almost unfair for Porcupine Tree that I vote for Riverside since they inspire Riverside so much and paved the way and are still at the top of their game, but there you go. PT and Riverside for me.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
30.01.2010 - 06:28
cold103
I'm surprised that Riverside has gotten as many votes as they have.

Written by K✞ulu on 25.01.2010 at 17:24

I agree with Clint W. and DayFly. This thread is pointless. Especially since you haven't even explained the reason for the bands chosen.

The bands chosen are some of the most well-known progressive-metal bands. I'll also add that I think they're some of the best bands in the genre.
30.01.2010 - 13:17
TheOwl
IN THE NAME from Canada..... once were called KINGSBANE!
fantastic prog metal noone knows about... check this:
30.01.2010 - 13:22
Warman
Erotic Stains
From the list I have to go with Symphony X. They have some amazing songs and albums, are pretty good live and can still put out great music.
But I voted "other" since Dream Theater probably is my favourite band of all.
----
01.02.2010 - 20:25
Valaskjalf
Account deleted
Its a 2-way tie between "Seventh Wonder" and "Suspyre"...

From the list probably Symphony X...its refreshing to see Dream Theatre not making the list by default, people seem to usually add them simply because they know their name not because theyre any good.
18.02.2010 - 03:19
whatsacow
Porcupine Tree!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I can't think of anything else to say, so i'm going to add some more exclamation marks !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
----
When God made up the golden rule, do you think he noticed that it condones rape?
18.02.2010 - 05:30
Dark Blood
The Avenger
If we go with popularity and common knowledge.. of course Dream Theater's the father of Progressive metal. But since some of the bands in the poll have done really amazing works, I left DT and Opeth aside, and voted for Ayreon. I love Arjen's every work, and music nowadays needs more artists like him.

Also want to mention Evergrey, I'm a big fan of their early works. And Riverside did a damn GREAT job in their last album... I was really amazed with it.
----
It is humanity who must pay homage to the greatness of the Universe... not the Universe to the human narcissism.
18.02.2010 - 06:51
Gobobbles
Account deleted
Written by ToMegaTherion on 22.01.2010 at 03:16

My vote is for Ayreon, Arjen is a master of prog, and a musical genius. But is am unsure of the reason for the exclusion of Opeth from this list, they should be in this list as one of the best know and most reputable prog bands on the scene, Dream Theater as well are another exclusion that makes little sense to me, but anyway it dosn't really matter, maybe it is just the personal preferance of the thread creater which is fair enough. After all it is exactly that- 'personal preference'.

Read the 1st post; it is explained why those bands are left off the poll.

I went with Symphony X. I luv most of their tunes throughout most of their albums. I almost picked Ayreon, but I get into Symphony X's metal a bit more. And I luv Mabool by Orphaned Land more than anything either of these bands have done, but this is not best prog-album...it is best prog-band
18.02.2010 - 13:40
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
Written by Dark Blood on 18.02.2010 at 05:30

If we go with popularity and common knowledge.. of course Dream Theater's the father of Progressive metal. But since some of the bands in the poll have done really amazing works, I left DT and Opeth aside, and voted for Ayreon. I love Arjen's every work, and music nowadays needs more artists like him.

Also want to mention Evergrey, I'm a big fan of their early works. And Riverside did a damn GREAT job in their last album... I was really amazed with it.

Did you check out Riverside early albums? It's not JUST their last album that is good.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
18.02.2010 - 14:53
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Voted for Orphaned Land...atm the only band from this list i can really enjoy...
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

18.02.2010 - 15:57
Roro
I vote for both :
Porcupine tree & Orphaned land
18.02.2010 - 18:30
Heretic
I like all of these bands but i love riverside !
so my vote goes to riverside .
18.02.2010 - 18:49
Dark Blood
The Avenger
Written by BloodTears on 18.02.2010 at 13:40

Written by Dark Blood on 18.02.2010 at 05:30

Did you check out Riverside early albums? It's not JUST their last album that is good.

Oh, yes I have all of them, and I specially like the debut album, Out of Myself. I just mentioned the last one cause it seems fair considering the differences between this and all the others, and how they've grown in quality.
But yeah, its not just their last one that's good. All of them are good.
----
It is humanity who must pay homage to the greatness of the Universe... not the Universe to the human narcissism.
18.02.2010 - 18:54
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Symphony X!