13. Take No Prisoners [demo] [2004 re-released bonus]

Top 20 albums of 1990: 1
Top 200 albums of all time: 2

Additional info
Re-released in 2004

Guest review by
Gorey
Rating:
1990 is a year to be remembered in the history of heavy metal. And it has to be said that the US Megadeth have made a lot for it with the launch of their cataclysmic opus, Rust In Peace. After three albums of good quality the four guys decided to release a (nuclear) bomb that has become a landmark in the metal world.
Dave Mustaine publicly reveals his genius, accompanied by his old mate Dave Ellefson. For this album, Mustaine has hired a new guitarist, Marty Friedman, and a drummer, Nick Menza. The first impression when you hear this album, is its pure, almost uncontrolled strength, that changes every riff into an earthquake.The guitars are omnipresent, they rhythm, without any moment of weakness, the lyrics, resolutely anti military and full of nuclear apocalypse. In this point of view, the excellent ?Holy wars? is a titanic opening. This track can be considered as a symbol of all the rage and determination that the album contains, as it combines heavy repeating riffs and guitar flights. This only track can justify the purchase of this album. Because it's a boost that allows the other tracks to be linked together with a great fluidity.

Read more ››
published 22.09.2003 | Comments (52)

Guest review by
Arian Totalis
Rating:
The year is 1990, and the 80's thrash scene will soon fade into the backdrop. There seems to be no hope for this genre beyond but a few bands, but only one of these bands was needed; Megadeth. Since the last album, Dave have ousted Chuck Behler and Jeff Young, and replaced them with Nick Menza and Guitar Giant Marty Friedman. With Political and Societal themes ready to launch, Megadeth was ready to make their fans Rust in Peace.

Read more ››
published 17.01.2009 | Comments (21)

Exactly 30 years ago, on September 24th, Rust In Peace was unleashed upon the world and had the impact of an atomic bomb. Just before thrash metal's demise, Megadeth released a magnificent masterpiece that was at the same time so aggressive yet dexterous, so catchy yet progressive, so melodic yet gritty, that it would be considered groundbreaking even if it was released today. Alongside the two Daves, Rust in Peace was the first Megadeth album to feature lead guitarist Marty Friedman and the late Nick Menza on drums, thus undoubtedly forming the most talented line-up the band ever had. Titles like "Holy Wars... The Punishment Due", "Hangar 18", and "Tornado Of Souls" are carved with golden letters on the Book of Thrash's Legendary Tracks. To be consumed incessantly and irresponsibly until nuclear warfare wipes us off the face of this planet.

nikarg's picks | More picks ››

Found in 251 lists
Top lists

Comments page 6 / 8

Comments: 227   Visited by: 4840 users
02.02.2015 - 21:36
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 02.02.2015 at 21:35

Why do people get so worked up about vocals in thrash metal?

To be fair most of them are awful. Like a horrible (albeit not literal) midground between black and death vocals, sans any real talent to do either. I tend to measure thrash vocals by how not irritating / grating they are, rather than how good they are like pretty much every other genre.
03.02.2015 - 01:37
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Funny as Souza is basically the one thrash vocalist I enjoy
03.02.2015 - 01:43
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Souza is great, but Balloff is better but Blitz is horrendous but Mustaine truly is the single worst thrash vocalist around. But tbh Souza isn't a shadow of himself. But then again the other bad ones are even worse nowadays.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

03.02.2015 - 01:58
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by deadone on 03.02.2015 at 01:55

Written by Guest on 03.02.2015 at 01:37

Funny as Souza is basically the one thrash vocalist I enjoy

I don't mind Souza (prefer Baloff) and have always enjoyed Bltiz's work.

I'm more sick of same sounding clones who just ape the classics and often don't do it as good.

So like Dukes in Exodus who tried to sound like, and to be honest sounded a lot like, Souza in Exodus?
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

03.02.2015 - 04:37
Mattybu
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 03.02.2015 at 01:43

Mustaine truly is the single worst thrash vocalist around.

I like the fact that on the first few Megadeth albums he just sounds like a guy emphatically saying/yelling a bunch of stuff. When he tries to actually sing it gets worse.
03.02.2015 - 04:51
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by deadone on 03.02.2015 at 02:13

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 03.02.2015 at 01:58

So like Dukes in Exodus who tried to sound like, and to be honest sounded a lot like, Souza in Exodus?

Never a fan of any of the Dukes era Exodus. Tempo of the Damned is the last album of theirs I have time for (I haven't heard the new one though).

Neither was I. But it hadn't hadn't to do with Dukes. It was the shoddy songwriting by Exodus with their songs which were way too long for their own good (just like Machine Head;s songs)
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

18.02.2015 - 00:13
Mountain King
K i K o
Definitely not number 1 of all time. I could name dozens of albums that are better in many ways, not to mention crappy vocals but that's not why Megadeth are popular anyway. Life is weird sometimes...
17.07.2015 - 03:37
Rating: 10
Rust in Peace, what more can be said? Mustaine's voice is what it is and Megadeth's fan base enjoys that way, it's what makes the band different beside the mindblowing guitar work. I have much to listen in the world of metal but this is something special, the personal and nuclear lyrics, the flow, the consistency, the fast riffs, man... i am young, but so far this my album, the perfect 10.
----
"Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player, that struts and frets his hour upon the stage, and then is heard no more; it is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing." - William Shakespeare
09.08.2015 - 02:06
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
Elite
18.09.2015 - 22:05
NicicumCumva
It just can't get any better than this.
26.11.2015 - 19:45
Rating: 8
I love this album,and i love megadeth,but i don't think this should be the best ranked album of all time imo.
12.02.2016 - 11:38
BlackMetalDay
Cannot be less than a 10 for me. Incredible quantity of high-quality solos in this album. For sure one of the best metal albums of all time.

16 April 1990 : Hammerheart
03 July 1990 : Cowboys From Hell
03 September 1990 : Painkiller
12 September 1990 : Never, Neverland
21 Septembre 1990 : Rust In Peace
09 October 1990 : Seasons In The Abyss
06 November 1990 : Coma Of Souls

-> Pretty prolific period metal-wise
28.02.2016 - 22:32
Metalheart35
Account deleted
16 times rated with "1"? lol Even if this is not the favourite style of somebody you can't seriously give "worst album i heard" for such well played music! Can only be people, that are angry, because they want this album not as the best of all time. In normal case you can rate this one not less than 6 points. For me it's even not the best one of all time, but i would rate this very good one with 8,5 points.
29.02.2016 - 03:38
Lord_Regnier
Written by Guest on 02.02.2015 at 21:36

Written by Guest on 02.02.2015 at 21:35

Why do people get so worked up about vocals in thrash metal?

To be fair most of them are awful. Like a horrible (albeit not literal) midground between black and death vocals, sans any real talent to do either. I tend to measure thrash vocals by how not irritating / grating they are, rather than how good they are like pretty much every other genre.

Vocals are often a problem for me in Thrash. Many times, I discovered a new Thrash band and I could like the music but vocals were so horrible that there's no way I could listen to that. For example, anything that sounds weak to me is a turn off. That's a reason why I never liked Bay Area Thrash at all. Vocals are almost always awful and weak. Teutonic Thrash is so much better when it comes to vocals.
----
"Why would we fear death, when life is so much more frightening?"
29.02.2016 - 03:44
Lord_Regnier
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 03.02.2015 at 01:43

Mustaine truly is the single worst thrash vocalist around.

I never understood why Dave decided to do the vocals himself, instead of hiring a good vocalist. Megadeth could have been so much better with a decent vocalist.
Dave is a good guitar player but it's obvious he has zero talent when it comes to vocals. And it's not a matter of age, as he already sounded horrible on Megadeth's first album.
----
"Why would we fear death, when life is so much more frightening?"
29.02.2016 - 11:03
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Lord_Regnier on 29.02.2016 at 03:38

Vocals are often a problem for me in Thrash. Many times, I discovered a new Thrash band and I could like the music but vocals were so horrible that there's no way I could listen to that. For example, anything that sounds weak to me is a turn off. That's a reason why I never liked Bay Area Thrash at all. Vocals are almost always awful and weak. Teutonic Thrash is so much better when it comes to vocals.

Pretty much fits with my experiences. I can tolerate less than great vocals if the music is worth it, but abjectly bad vocals and I won't bother. It's a useful tool to gauge something by if skimming it to see if it's worth it.
27.10.2016 - 17:52
Joppe
Steelemeister
I have no problems with the vocals of the original album, but the rerecorded vocals on the remaster sound like they don't belong on the album. Needless to say, the album I bought is the remaster one w/o knowing about the vocals

My ratings: original =10
remaster = 9
----
My vision is augmented
02.01.2017 - 04:39
ElmerCojones
Account deleted
The remaster sincerly was a very bad way to improve this album
02.01.2017 - 05:19
Maco
Pvt Funderground
Lol at your 1 for this and 10 for Ride The Lightning (right score for the album though).
----
Crackhead Megadeth reigns supreme.
08.01.2017 - 04:59
JasonFrench
Pure gold. Not a single weak track, nor riff on this album. Megadeth were by far the best songwriters of the big four and this album proves it!
01.03.2017 - 19:42
bguardian12
17 people qualified this album with a "1". Leaving aside the fact that I cannot understand how this is possible (I can understand a 7, or an 8, but a 1 in such a classic album only means that those people hate megadeth for some reason and are trying to bias the qualifications (and succeeding)), I think the way the average qualifications are calculated should be revised. These "1"s are clearly outliers and shouldn't be taken into consideration when calculating the average.
28.12.2017 - 20:32
Albert_Wesker_19
Account deleted
Since the album was remastered in 2004, the whole album that was just in another level, come in a complete crap
07.02.2018 - 20:06
escr_alien
Account deleted
Mustaine deserve to be punished by remaster this classic
22.07.2018 - 13:50
Rating: 8
Kuroboshi
Written by Guest on 28.12.2017 at 20:32

Since the album was remastered in 2004, the whole album that was just in another level, come in a complete crap

It doesn't make sense to give a 1 for that reason here: this is the original that we are talking about.
08.10.2018 - 22:52
Maco
Pvt Funderground
The older I get the more I realize how unique this band used to be during their first 4 glorious albums. No other band sounds like early Megadeth.
----
Crackhead Megadeth reigns supreme.
16.12.2018 - 01:13
Rating: 9
CobiWan1993
Secundum Filium
I just recently bought a used copy of the original mix at my record store, which is aptly going out of business next month (RIP), and I forgot how good this album is! I don't know what I was thinking with my older comments now that I've listened to it again. The musicianship on here is extremely tight and the songwriting is great, the introductory riff to the title track in particular is enticing! Great stuff all around.
----
Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe (Lao Tzu).
04.01.2019 - 14:31
Rating: 9
Maasai Mara
Mustaine is a mediocre vocalist and that is why this album is damn good. A classic album that deserves the tag. Miles ahead of Peace sells.
----
You are not metal enough until you visit Kenya. The cradle of mankind, where man learnt first to work with stones and first enjoyed the sounds produced by banging stones which later influenced metal in all its sounds and genres.
14.02.2019 - 23:42
Rating: 7
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Maybe their best, album, even better as Youthonasia(what is one of my fav from this band) . Songs from 1 to 4 are just killer songs, its amazing, brilliant album.
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
18.09.2019 - 03:32
Metren
Dreadrealm
Trying my best to learn some Megadave riffs on guitar has made me appreciate this album even more. A true masterpiece, even if Five Magics is sort of filler.
----
My one-man project's Bandcamp with free downloads: https://dreadrealm.bandcamp.com/
18.09.2019 - 23:07
Redel
Written by Metren on 18.09.2019 at 03:32

even if Five Magics is sort of filler.

Wow, I strongly disagree. Five magics, for me, belongs to the best from this album, actually to the best they have ever done.
In fact I fail to detect a filler on this album, it is indeed a masterpiece.

Hits total: 143631 | This month: 555