Album: Morningrise
Release date: June 1996

01. Advent
02. The Night And The Silent Water
03. Nectar
04. Black Rose Immortal
05. To Bid You Farewell
06. Eternal Soul Torture [2000 reissue bonus]

Actually, many people know Opeth. It is a love it or hate it band. You can love how the music flows without following typical structures. You won't expect those heavy riffs after the relaxing acoustic break. But you can hate how each song looks like some random riffs put together. Well, this review is from one who does love, at least, this album.

Well, I think we all know Opeth. Mostly long songs (in this album, we can say every song is long, the shortest is 10 minutes!), in which some riffs, which usually repeat for quite a while, make the music and don't follow the typical structure that other songs have. Don't expect a chorus or melodies to sing along with; just the music and the atmosphere it leaves. It is first progressive, not only for the already mentioned song structure but the technicality of each of the band members. You can find no weak point here because there isn't an instrument that shines more than the others. Even the bass, an instrument that is almost impossible to hear in extreme music is very easy to listen to here. The music is, either heavy, with growls, or acoustic with clean voices. Mostly midpaced or a bit slow. It isn't too much fast music here, but there are some riffs you can headbang to.

Even at first you will think of the album as a whole, later you will be able to separate each of the songs because each one is a piece of art by itself: the amazing riffs of "Advent," the epic closure of "The Night And The Silent Water," the magic (and amazing solo) of "Nectar," the epic (and the song that has one of the best guitar solos, or maybe the best) "Black Rose Immortal," the beautiful mostly-acoustic ballad "To Bid You Farewell."

I recommend this album to people who love music, because if they like what they play, they will love it. I can't think of any other bands that can play better than them this kind of music. But those people who just like heavy music and get pissed by the acoustic breaks, or that can't find a chorus to sing in the shower, sorry, but you have lost the opportunity to really enjoy life. This is, indeed, magic.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 10
Songwriting: 10
Originality: 10
Production: 10

Written by Talvi | 22.07.2006

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Guest review by
marco
Rating:
Before we get to this album, I would like to get an answer to a rather difficult question. Exactly what is Opeth's style ? The riffs are similar to progressive, but Opeth also has death vocals mixed with clean ones and acoustic guitars, plus on top of that the whole album has a dark atmosphere that surrounds the listener each time he/she listens to it. Here you will find everything, aggression and emotion, calm and anger, heaviness and mellowness, everything in one song, yet never sounding like different parts, but always in a flow.

Read more ››
published 18.09.2003 | Comments (23)

Guest review by
ToMegaTherion
Rating:
Many questions have been asked of the style and coherence of Opeth's music. Yet despite the debate and questioning Opeth remain one of the world's leading metal bands. The first of a long line of excellent albums by Opeth was released following their debut Orchid the year before. Morningrise is often regarded as the defining album for the band with a diverse range of sounds, often confusing in composition but nevertheless contrived expertly. It is an epic album full of epic songs, with elements of Death Metal and acoustic blues to mix things up. The album progresses and weaves through a barrage of riffs, solos and an undying unprecedented patience and passion for the music expressed by Mikael Akerfeldt.

Read more ››
published 01.10.2009 | Comments (19)

Guest review by
andreosokin
Rating:
Morningrise is considered to be an iconic album for death metal fans, but the word iconic also applies to Opeth's history, because it certainly gave them that boost of popularity in the underground metal scene of the '90s. Just look at the album ratings on various music database sites and you'll see what impact it had on the listeners.

Read more ››
published 01.11.2016 | Comments (10)

Comments

Comments: 27   Visited by: 234 users
05.08.2006 - 13:07
Rating: 9
dark awakening

Great review!
----
Baptized in a lake of acid tears...
05.08.2006 - 13:12
Damnated
Churchburner
Great review, this is my fav album of Opeth. your 10 is a good rating
----
Blessed is he that murders Christ in himself and in his fellow men.

Written by TheBigRossowski on 10.02.2009 at 16:01

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
06.08.2006 - 15:31
Rating: 6
Talvi

Yes, well, I don't want to look like a fanboy, having 2 reviews with a 10 rating... but I only have 3 albums in mind I'd rate with 10
----
My account on other musical pages:
http://www.last.fm/user/Pozito/
http://rateyourmusic.com/~Talvi
09.12.2006 - 02:24
Rating: 7
Passenger
Lost To Apathy
This is not my favourite Opeth album, but anything this band does is great, and everyone has his own personal favourite. Good review.
----
You don't make up for your sins in church. You do it in the streets. You do it at home. The rest is bullshit and you know it ~ Mean Streets
28.05.2007 - 06:15
Bitch Boy

It's a very good album indeed but not Opeth's best for me, I wouldn't have given the production a 10.
29.05.2007 - 00:09
Talvi

Written by Bitch Boy on 28.05.2007 at 06:15

It's a very good album indeed but not Opeth's best for me, I wouldn't have given the production a 10.

You are right. I would recheck all of my ratings if I could.
----
16.02.2008 - 08:16
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Its great....not 10 great though. Then again I really dont consider anything (anymore) worth a 10. Im not a big fan of the bass sound on it.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
16.02.2008 - 13:58
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Kinda too overrated... but this album is for me a 9,5...

The best album by Opeth IMO...
It just kick as the rest.
It's more beautiful
I'm with Dr.Rock... I don't believe in perfection, so that's why this album can't be a 10.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
17.02.2008 - 11:58
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Its not my Opeth's favourite, by no means but it indeed a wonderful piece. I don't think it deserves such a high rating either.

I still prefer my "Orchid" and "My Arms, Your Hearse" and "Still Life". Although it must be said that morningrise has beautiful passages, the lyrics are superior as always and the arrangements are quite good.
----

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
17.02.2008 - 12:33
Talvi

To all that say that this doesn't deserve a 10: I agree, and I don't like any rating from my old reviews, so stop with it please.
----
17.02.2008 - 23:51
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Written by Talvi on 17.02.2008 at 12:33

To all that say that this doesn't deserve a 10: I agree, and I don't like any rating from my old reviews, so stop with it please.

I didn't mean to bother you, sorry.
----

My Instagram
18.02.2008 - 01:10
Talvi

Written by BloodTears on 17.02.2008 at 23:51

Na, I'm sorry if I was so harsh. 3 comments in a row dealing with the same subject, that I said on my last comment, so well. You didn't bother ^^
----
18.02.2008 - 11:13
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Written by Talvi on 18.02.2008 at 01:10

Written by BloodTears on 17.02.2008 at 23:51

Na, I'm sorry if I was so harsh. 3 comments in a row dealing with the same subject, that I said on my last comment, so well. You didn't bother ^^

People usually talk about the rating when they comment on reviews. But I'm glad you're ok
----

My Instagram
18.02.2008 - 13:20
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
Written by Doc G. on 16.02.2008 at 08:16

Its great....not 10 great though. Then again I really dont consider anything (anymore) worth a 10. Im not a big fan of the bass sound on it.

Damn, the bass sound is what I miss the most. No other Opeth album come close, except maybe Still Life. This was my first Opeth album a few years ago and I listened to it non-stop throughout the winter, a few camping trips included. Listening to "Nectar" under the starlit forest canopy changed my whole perspective on life...
20.02.2008 - 07:09
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Written by Introspekrieg on 18.02.2008 at 13:20

Written by Doc G. on 16.02.2008 at 08:16

Damn, the bass sound is what I miss the most. No other Opeth album come close, except maybe Still Life. This was my first Opeth album a few years ago and I listened to it non-stop throughout the winter, a few camping trips included. Listening to "Nectar" under the starlit forest canopy changed my whole perspective on life...

Strange, Still Life had my favorite bass sound, very jazzy.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
23.02.2008 - 04:26
Rating: 8
ß
Problem?
Alright cd not really a huge fan of Morningrise and same goes with MAYH and Orchid. But I enjoy basically everything after Still Life.
----
My music blog - Updated regularly.
To live is to think - Cicero
06.03.2008 - 00:11
Evil Chip

Amazing Review, Opeth is an unique band and this album for me may not be their best but its a music masterpiece still.
03.07.2008 - 20:35
Elio
Red Nightmare
this is not my favourite opeth album, but nectar O.O to it's between 8.5 and 9...to me the best are orchid and still life which I give 10
----
IntoPlighT said: "Slipknot is 15 years old how the fuck is that Nu metal?"

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
16.02.2009 - 23:45
AngelOfDisease

Probably my favorite Opeth album along with BWP...
this is the album that got me into them
17.02.2009 - 00:19
Rating: 8
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
For me the best album by them
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

23.03.2009 - 14:38
Rating: 10
Xeros612

This has to be my personal favorite of the Opeth albums. Great sound, epic lengths, plus it's lacking one of the elements of more modern albums that I don't particularly care for.(The church organ.... just doesn't sound good IMO)

However, I really don't think we need people coming in and complaining about the rating one person gives to an album.
08.06.2009 - 09:44
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
Good album. Much better than Orchid. ''The Night And The Silent Water'' is my favorite track.
----

----
member of the true crusade against old school heavy metal, early 80s thrash, NWOBHM, traditional doom, first and second wave black metal, old school death metal, US power metal, 70s prog rock and atmospheric doomsludgestoner. o/
13.09.2009 - 14:38
Solstafir!

"Advent" is a phenomenal opener to a slightly different sounding Opeth...
The production really kind of repelled me at the start but I found myself playing it quite regularly...
Great album!
18.09.2010 - 03:50
advent

Nothing to be shame of here, i think it deserves the rating, it's perfection to me
21.02.2011 - 19:14
BlankFile

Advent Advent Advent.... Im hipnotized. This is one of the best albums ever released by a Metal band. Its pure dark magic! Perfection yes.
26.06.2011 - 02:26
musclassia

Every time I listen to it, Advent sets things off well, and then The Night And The Silent Water and Nectar remind me why this is the best Opeth album, and by the end of Black Rose Immortal I am just in awe - that song beats anything Opeth has done before and since, and theyve done a whole heap of amazing stuff in that time.
01.01.2014 - 04:42
JavierML

As many of the comments before, I wouldn't give a rating of 10 in production. I feel it lacks deepness, although you can hear the bass, it doesn't seem to fill the sound, which leaves the guitars kind of dry (really don't know if that makes any sense).
In The Roundhouse Tapes, The Night And The Silent Water sounds incredible, one of my favorites in that album.
Can't argue with the fact that originality, songwriting and performance deserve perfect score.

Hits total: 13122 | This month: 7