Metal Storm logo
Best Drums

Original post

Posted by Savage Messiah, 06.08.2006 - 03:45
Personally I prefer Tama's sound... plus most of the bands I listen to use Tama, but tell me what you like, which model and why

Poll

Which drum make is the best?

Tama
Pearl
Mapex
Gretsch
DW
Sonor
Premier
Other
Yamaha

Total votes: 43
23.12.2006 - 03:39
Savage Messiah
Metal Drummer
Written by [user id=3005] on 21.12.2006 at 10:28

Written by Syk on 21.12.2006 at 04:19

Horror stories from my mate - one of her cymbals got a split after one day's jamming, then the next day she put a hole in the kick drum.

Tama cymbals? I didn't know those exist
How the hell one can make hole into bass drum without using any tools?

Yes, Tama cymbals exist, if you go to the Tama website you will see that most drum sets are sold with standard Tama crash/rides.

Yeah @ Syk, it sounds like either the bass skin was already damaged or theres something wrong with the kick pedal?? No idea what happened there....

Have you actually played a Tama kit yourself?
23.12.2006 - 03:54
Savage Messiah
Metal Drummer
Written by [user id=18717] on 22.12.2006 at 20:17

I think using many different brands and styles can broaden your sound and style plus some less expensive cymbals can sound good and sometimes are more durable them expensive ones

I agree, though I tend to stick with Paiste and Tama, what brands do you use in your kit?
23.12.2006 - 04:17
Syk
myspace/bonerama
I guess they coulda been damaged... can't remember now if they were new or used. No I haven't tried Tama myself.
----
death ? thrash ? death/doom/prog ? Hail Zoldon!

he's not the kind you have to wind up on Sundays
23.12.2006 - 04:41
Savage Messiah
Metal Drummer
Written by Syk on 23.12.2006 at 04:17

I guess they coulda been damaged... can't remember now if they were new or used. No I haven't tried Tama myself.

Wait so you're just going by a strange experience your friend had??
How can you say Tama is crap if you haven't even tried it yourself? Are you a drummer?
23.12.2006 - 04:47
Syk
myspace/bonerama
No I'm not primarily a drummer I just thought that sounded like a crap thing for drums to do. Why is this so strange anyway, how long do they usually take to literally get bent?
----

23.12.2006 - 04:53
Savage Messiah
Metal Drummer
Well I don't have an exact expiry date for them, mine are still fine.
over time they take damage, but thats with serious hits, your mate must have hit them with something other than a drum stick :S

You said that DW is better, if you arent a drummer with experience on a kit, how could you KNOW that?
23.12.2006 - 04:59
Syk
myspace/bonerama
But can't I say that as a listener? Sam Sheppard from Sinate & ex-8 Foot Sativa uses them & they sound fuckin' awesome.
----

23.12.2006 - 05:13
Savage Messiah
Metal Drummer
Yes of course you can say it as a listener, and I agree that DW sound awesome.

BUT: If you are forming opinions of drum brands by ear only, how can you say Tama suck? Mike Portnoy uses Tama, Lars Ulrich uses Tama, along with the drummers from: Anthrax, Exodus, Mastodon, System Of A Down, Megadeth, Fear Factory, Slayer, Nightwish, In Flames, Judas Priest/Racer X, and Black Sabbath, just to name a few.
I don't see why these bands haven't influenced your opinion...
23.12.2006 - 05:31
Syk
myspace/bonerama
Lars uses Tama, huh? Have you even heard St. Anger?

But possibly the answer is cos I haven't heard those guys live. Well, System once, but I wasn't really focussing on the drums...
Portnoy & Slayer's recorded stuff is pretty good on the ears though so I guess I'll give Tama another chance.

What does Maiden use? Powerslave era drums sound excellent. Drop some more names.
----

23.12.2006 - 12:04
Savage Messiah
Metal Drummer
yeah well, Lars was a bad example. - No idea what else I can say about that lol, dont blame the drums, he created that sound from them, any brand could do it.

Nicko from Iron Maiden uses Premier drums as far as I know, and I agree about them sounding good...
ooh I just checked and he uses Paiste cymbals too. wo0t.
What other bands do you reckon have a good drum sound?
23.12.2006 - 14:18
Syk
myspace/bonerama
Deep Purple, Morbid Angel, Obituary, Pantera, Zyklon, Eidolon, Anathema, Queens of the Stone Age... how could I forget, Decapitated!
----

23.12.2006 - 14:32
Savage Messiah
Metal Drummer
Yeah I love the sound of Deep Purple's drums... I love that they always kept massive cymbals instead of following the "fast crash" trend.
24.12.2006 - 01:38
heresiarch
Forever Dead
Written by Savage Messiah on 23.12.2006 at 12:04

yeah well, Lars was a bad example. - No idea what else I can say about that lol, dont blame the drums, he created that sound from them, any brand could do it.

Nicko from Iron Maiden uses Premier drums as far as I know, and I agree about them sounding good...
I think that Nicko uses Sonor drums
----
Heaven queen , carry me away from all pain

No reason to live for
One reason to die for

... To live for my death ...
24.12.2006 - 02:13
Syk
myspace/bonerama
Ooh, and aside from being a trend in itself, what's so bad about fast crashes?
----

24.12.2006 - 05:06
Christos
High end drums from all manufacturers sound great, end of story. Even low end ones can sound awesome if tensioned properly, and can sound better when recorded due to a whole myriad of effects and sonic adjustments that can be made.

In response to the Tama cymbals issue, I would imagine they're similar to the Pearl cymbals - budget cymbals sub-contracted to a major manufacturer.

Now stop bickering about unimportant things and go PRACTICE!!!
----
ta bi
24.12.2006 - 05:11
Christos
And I should mention that it's common for a drummer to play different drums/cymbals in the studio than live!
----
ta bi
24.12.2006 - 10:20
Savage Messiah
Metal Drummer
Written by heresiarch on 24.12.2006 at 01:38

Written by Savage Messiah on 23.12.2006 at 12:04

I think that Nicko uses Sonor drums

Oh okay well he's seen here with Premier drums... He probably changed brands at some point...
http://www.drummerworld.com/pics/drum43/nicko_mcbrain1.jpg
24.12.2006 - 10:34
Savage Messiah
Metal Drummer
Written by Christos on 24.12.2006 at 05:06

High end drums from all manufacturers sound great, end of story. Even low end ones can sound awesome if tensioned properly, and can sound better when recorded due to a whole myriad of effects and sonic adjustments that can be made.

In response to the Tama cymbals issue, I would imagine they're similar to the Pearl cymbals - budget cymbals sub-contracted to a major manufacturer.

Now stop bickering about unimportant things and go PRACTICE!!!

Well, thankyou for your insightful input, though it wasn't entirely helpful as I was aware that all high end drum kits sound good, my intention for this topic was purely to find people's opinions of which brand is favourable.
Also, we werent bickering, merely discussing, as this is a -forum- .
While I'm at it, I don't need to be told to practice.

@ Syk, there isn't anything wrong with fast crashes, I just prefer the longer lasting and louder sound of the larger cymbals. Plus it seems to be a very nu-metal thing to do, to have small cymbals, more mainstream if you know what I mean?
24.12.2006 - 10:44
Syk
myspace/bonerama
"Plus it seems to be a very nu-metal thing to do, to have small cymbals, more mainstream if you know what I mean?"

I haven't noticed that. I think I agree with you about larger ones though.

Anyone gonna reply about the bands I listed up there?
----

24.12.2006 - 10:54
Savage Messiah
Metal Drummer
Well I agree with your list, they all have a really nice sound.
I downloaded this "drum check" recording by Morbid Angel, the drummer goes insane lol it's worth checking out.

It's xmas tomorrow... I want a new crash but I seriously doubt that'll happen. It's kinda lame how I spend every single dollar I get on my kit, I can't help it though what is everyone getting for xmas?
24.12.2006 - 11:02
Syk
myspace/bonerama
I'm getting nothing

Do you guys think there's anything bad about having a kit where each piece is from a different company?
----

24.12.2006 - 11:20
Savage Messiah
Metal Drummer
I think it adds variety to your kit, but like... well I wouldn't even know for sure, my whole kit is tama and paiste.
I'm thinking using the same brand means your sound will be more... flowing? like all the cymbals or toms sound good together, because they were designed to be played together...
24.12.2006 - 13:48
Syk
myspace/bonerama
I was just thinking if you found different drums that sounded mad cool, could make a perfect kit... like is there an amazing kind of FLOOR TOM or something?
----

24.12.2006 - 13:55
Savage Messiah
Metal Drummer
lol I dont know of any amazing floor toms, people choose the sizes of them and stuff, and obviously which brand...
I want a second, huge one for my kit, like Daniel Erlandsson's one....

People put tribal drums and stuff with their kit, and those "octoban" thingies..
I like the tribal feel, I'm not sure why, like Sepultura's earlier stuff, that was awesome.
Are you a fan of tribal drums in metal?
24.12.2006 - 14:05
Syk
myspace/bonerama
I dunno about randomly thrown in with proper normal metal, but I do really like the meandering tribal instrumental tracks from Soulfly.

..What brand are those?
----

24.12.2006 - 18:25
Christos
Written by Savage Messiah on 24.12.2006 at 10:34

@ Syk, there isn't anything wrong with fast crashes, I just prefer the longer lasting and louder sound of the larger cymbals. Plus it seems to be a very nu-metal thing to do, to have small cymbals, more mainstream if you know what I mean?

You do realise you can have large "fast" crashes since it only relates to decay? (PLus you can also have quiet large crashes and so on...)
----
ta bi
25.12.2006 - 07:46
Savage Messiah
Metal Drummer
Written by Christos on 24.12.2006 at 18:25

Written by Savage Messiah on 24.12.2006 at 10:34

You do realise you can have large "fast" crashes since it only relates to decay? (PLus you can also have quiet large crashes and so on...)

I meant in general man, obviously there are exceptions to the rule, though if you could provide an example of a large "fast" crash, that'd be awesome.
25.12.2006 - 10:33
Syk
myspace/bonerama
Okay so what exactly are "fast crashes"?
----

25.12.2006 - 12:12
Savage Messiah
Metal Drummer
Written by Syk on 25.12.2006 at 10:33

Okay so what exactly are "fast crashes"?

Cymbals with fast decay, like after you hit them, the sound doesnt keep going for very long. Usually they're smaller cymbals, like 16" 14" etc.
25.12.2006 - 12:27
Syk
myspace/bonerama
I see, like sustain for guitars. Is there a best brand for that
----