Metal Storm logo
Pyha - Korean black metal from a 12 year old

17.03.2010 - 17:44
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Or at least that's the prevailing rumour. If Pyha ever did record stuff he isn't 12 anymore but the tUMULt website describes him as an 8th grader. So.

Music is harsh, raw Burzum-esque black metal interspersed with ambient sections. Actually it's not that bad if you can stomach it and it has a lot more personality than your average black metal outfit and though it's not really my thing anymore it has certainly an interesting story behind it which I'm sure a lot of people will be curious about. Certainly check out The Haunted House album.

I assume there's some stuff here:
http://us.myspace.com/ruinedh

tUMULt description:
http://www.tumult.net/catalog/pyha.html
17.03.2010 - 18:59
Insineratehymn
Account deleted
I keep seeing his album "The Haunted House" on all of the sites I go to, but I have yet to download it. Since your recommendations have not failed me yet, I will be sure to check them out now.
17.03.2010 - 19:35
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 17.03.2010 at 18:59

I keep seeing his album "The Haunted House" on all of the sites I go to, but I have yet to download it. Since your recommendations have not failed me yet, I will be sure to check them out now.

It's certainly an interesting release, though I can't help but wonder if i'd feel the same way about it if it was a anti-christian Norwegian band called Svortsmösk or something. Sometimes a band is more interesting than the music but a number of people seem to rate that album so I'll let you decide for yourself ;]
17.03.2010 - 20:53
spirit_inblack
harshhead
I suppose I'm pretty much obliged to check this out as well. And I sure do agree with you there about the band likely being more interesting than the music, especially in this case. From the description it doesn't seem like anything I've never heard before, but even if the rumour is false, it's still enough to precipitate my interest. And the reviews on M-A for that album are very favourable. Come to think of it, I'm not actually sure that I've heard any Korean black metal before in the first place.
17.03.2010 - 23:27
don Bastardo

Haven't heard other albums than "The Haunted House" but this one is raw and harsh indeed...and pretty noisy as well. Don't know, if he's really a 8-grader, but it's some scary and good stuff he makes. I would'nt say really evil or grim or hateful..just scary, bleak and sort of desperate and melancholic...well, something that could be expected from album with anti-war thematics, (as the rumors say). Even if it's far from being best BM-album i've heard, it still deserves attention. And not only because of the fuzz about the age of this guy or he's origin. (Well...origin probably makes some difference cause BM groups from east, (Korea; Japan; China etc.), have some kind of a ancient and/or sinister feeling in their music). The Haunted House can stand out even without mysteries around it's maker.
----
Save the trees - wipe your butt with an owl.
18.03.2010 - 01:53
Insineratehymn
Account deleted
I must say, the production is really, really distorted. Normally, I would hate something like this, but in this case, I love it so much that I would have sex with it if it had a human form. Many black metal bands attempt to express their hate through the music, but Pyha is one of the few bands that manages to do this right. Whether or not he intended it, "The Haunted House" is a work of inventive genius.
18.03.2010 - 02:04
Zombie, M.D.

The whole thing smells suspiciously similar to bullshit like Velvet Cacoon using their "diesel harp" or Weakling (another tUMULt band, btw) burying copies of their album and only selling maps to get them.
----
"I really screwed up this time." - Jeffery Dahmer
18.03.2010 - 04:03
Insineratehymn
Account deleted
Written by Zombie, M.D. on 18.03.2010 at 02:04

The whole thing smells suspiciously similar to bullshit like Velvet Cacoon using their "diesel harp" or Weakling (another tUMULt band, btw) burying copies of their album and only selling maps to get them.

You call it bullshit, the rest of us call it genius.
18.03.2010 - 04:04
Zombie, M.D.

I'm not calling the music bullshit, I'm calling the story bullshit. tUMULt have a reputation of fabricating stuff. I guess getting people to listen to your shit by making crazy stories is pretty black metal in a nihilistic, dadaist sort of way....but c'mon.
----
18.03.2010 - 04:09
Insineratehymn
Account deleted
Well, suit yourself.
18.03.2010 - 18:44
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Written by Zombie, M.D. on 18.03.2010 at 04:04

I'm not calling the music bullshit, I'm calling the story bullshit. tUMULt have a reputation of fabricating stuff. I guess getting people to listen to your shit by making crazy stories is pretty black metal in a nihilistic, dadaist sort of way....but c'mon.

I never heard that Weakling story. I think it's cool that a label tries to take the piss out of Black metal, and releases some quality Black metal albums too (Genevieve is decent, P aa Opal Poere Pr. 33 is great and Dead As Dreams is fantastic, imo.)
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
18.03.2010 - 19:39
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Lucas on 18.03.2010 at 18:44

I never heard that Weakling story. I think it's cool that a label tries to take the piss out of Black metal, and releases some quality Black metal albums too (Genevieve is decent, P aa Opal Poere Pr. 33 is great and Dead As Dreams is fantastic, imo.)

It was planned but never went through with it.

http://www.tumult.net/tumult_article.html

There's nothing wrong with a little mystique to add to a band's personality, i think it's a fairly legitimate marketing technique (and far from being dadaist or nihilistic), especially for extreme music. I've always been fascinated by bands shrouded in mystery, VC, Blut aus Nord, DSO etc. and I don't think they would have done as well without it.

Besides with Pyha it's certainly plausible, it's not like it's a tech-death band that requires a particularly large amount of skill.
26.03.2010 - 22:35
The Turbanator

Heard this album the moment it came out. Quite possibly one of the best I heard. Haunted House is fucking amazing but I think that 12 year old story is kinda bullshit though.
----
In the name of forests; In the name of stars; In the name of all the seas; In the name of storms... Proud sons of ancient nation; Proud sons of sacred song in the wind; Proud sons behind a mirror of ice who told... Fathers of the icy age!!
27.03.2010 - 17:53
Zombie, M.D.

Written by Guest on 18.03.2010 at 19:39

Written by Lucas on 18.03.2010 at 18:44

It was planned but never went through with it.

In the one Weakling interview out there the main dude from the band said he never heard about the map thing until after the fact. It was all the labels doing, which I think is pretty bogus on their part.
----
02.04.2010 - 23:44
Bitter Dawn
Ave Sathanas!
Hm, interesting notion. While there are child prodigies that create art and music far beyond their level, it is possible for one of those types of children to behold an interest in extreme music. Whether the story is legit or not, I'll give it a listen and then post my thoughts - I'm having doubts about this being a brilliant or genius work though.
12.04.2010 - 12:46
Homage
Account deleted
Fascinating.
11.10.2011 - 15:39
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
New album out apparently.

Sounds pretty nice so far. A lot less noisy than The Haunted House though.
11.10.2011 - 17:18
The Turbanator

^ Nice. Thanks for the update.

Also, can someone explain what does " tUMULt " means?
----
In the name of forests; In the name of stars; In the name of all the seas; In the name of storms... Proud sons of ancient nation; Proud sons of sacred song in the wind; Proud sons behind a mirror of ice who told... Fathers of the icy age!!
11.10.2011 - 17:39
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by The Turbanator on 11.10.2011 at 17:18

^ Nice. Thanks for the update.

Also, can someone explain what does " tUMULt " means?

It's a record label that caters for extreme music like noise and some black metal. I think Weakling were on tUMULt.
11.10.2011 - 19:38
Frost Beast
Account deleted
Well, I'm fifteen years old, and I finished the guitar tracks for my first melodic black album.... No drummer though.
BTW 12's an awkwardly young age for Burzum-esque black metal. Must be a twisted kid.
11.10.2011 - 19:45
BreadGod
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 11.10.2011 at 19:38

Well, I'm fifteen years old, and I finished the guitar tracks for my first melodic black album.... No drummer though.
BTW 12's an awkwardly young age for Burzum-esque black metal. Must be a twisted kid.

The kid is from South Korea. Most of them are already masters of StarCraft by the time they're 13, so I wouldn't be surprised if this kid had the skills to play black metal by the age of 12.
13.10.2011 - 14:21
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by Guest on 11.10.2011 at 19:38

12 and 15 really isn't that much of a staggering difference at all.

I'm somewhere in between, btw. So that's that about my age.
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
13.10.2011 - 22:29
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by vezzy on 13.10.2011 at 14:21

You've been very cryptic about your true identity but I call bullshit on you being a preteen.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
13.10.2011 - 23:24
Slayer666

Written by Troy Killjoy on 13.10.2011 at 22:29

Written by vezzy on 13.10.2011 at 14:21

You've been very cryptic about your true identity but I call bullshit on you being a preteen.

This.
I imagine he's a bit over 20, like most people on MS.
Although, his temper might be that of a 6-year old, but I'm not sure a 6-year old from Bulgaria can form such coherent sentences in English.
13.10.2011 - 23:35
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Slayer666 on 13.10.2011 at 23:24

... but I'm not sure a 6-year old from Bulgaria can form such coherent sentences in English.

You might be surprised, actually
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

17.10.2011 - 14:22
vezzy
Stallmanite
Okay, I was kind of expecting that.

I'm not gonna bother convincing you guys.

(also should check out this band)

(and technically I'm a teen)
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
17.10.2011 - 22:18
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
I still call bullshit.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
18.10.2011 - 02:55
Void Eater
Account deleted
Well, Mozart wrote his first symphony when he was 8 years old, so it's not impossible that this kid could have written a black metal album. Gonna check it out later.