Metal Storm logo
What turned you into a Metal Head?

Original post

Posted by Bleed4Metal, 26.03.2010 - 19:39
I was never really into music as a kid. Than my uncles gave me some old school metal albums (Sabbath, Metallica, Pantera) and ever since its been metal through and through.
22.06.2011 - 12:24
Spirit Molecule
spirit molecule
Well its a long story.... I was on my motorcycle and as usual I was late for a meeting and I was speeding. This little cute pup happened to cross the road and I tried to avoid it, but I fell and I went straight into a street lamp. I cracked my skull in 152 places. The doctors did this new procedure where they replaced my skull with metal. I'm quite famous in China, they call me Xang xao shi, which translates to Iron Head, you could call me a metal head as well.
----
If you never wake up from a dream does it become reality?

Last fm
Don't click here
26.06.2011 - 04:17
It started back in 1989. I saw a clip on mtv of Guns n Roses. And that started it all for me. A little while later Metallica and Iron Maiden came a long. After a while Slayer and Sepultura came along. An it kept on going extremer music wise. In 93 i started to listen to Death Metal and still do. Its my favorite style of metal. I also like
to listen to bands like Dream Theater, Opeth, King Diamond, Mercyful Fate, Evergrey, Iced Earth, Emperor, Mercenary, etc. But nothing gets me going like a good brutal death metal song. I think my all time favorite deahmetal band is Cannibal Corpse and The Bleeding is my favorite album.
27.06.2011 - 18:21
Raziel
No joke I liked hard rock ever since a baby. When I was growing up my fav songs were motorhead- the ace of spades, powerman 5000 when worlds collide, cky 96 quiet bitter beings and Danzig- mother. Back then I didn't know it was metal or hard rock I just knew I liked it. with my friends liking softer music such as panic at the disco and fall out boy I just never got too deep into music until one day in high school I got into it and realized I liked metal.
28.06.2011 - 01:58
Iron Nostarion
Maiden Whore
IF YOU WANT TO READ MUCH:
[
What really started me in the path of Metal was.. I think, pop punk. However, I grew tired of its shit and tried metalcore (thinking it was "death metal".. sorry, Atreyu apparently isn't really death metal). Loved it. Then again I grew tired and especially of the cheap screamo stuff. Then when I listened to my first ever Metallica song on YouTube, "The Four Horsemen", there you go. I indeed then fell in love with Metal. I stayed like a year only juggling a small playlist comprised of a few Metallica albums, a few Slayer songs and Megadeth's "Peace Sells", which I had known from Rock Band 2. Also Judas Priest's "Painkiller".

Last summer, I got this metalhead blast after I listened to Cannibal Corpse's "Hammer Smashed Face" from a metalhead friend. And it changed my musical taste entirely, I dumped all of the shit that was on my library (about 100+ songs of crappy Pop which I had hated inside of me but couldn't find something else I liked). It made my taste wider in music in general. Although I took a few, light steps into diving deeper into the more extreme, since I had started first with Heavy and Thrash, then slowly also liked Folk and stuff, then Death, then Black, etc.
]

IF YOU WANT A SUMMARY:

Metallica got me into most of the stuff, imo. With a few Slayer there, too, and I was then - in just one year - the owner of a pretty much massive metal music collection. And that stuff on my MS collection isn't all.
----
To their tombs the people are immured,
There is their gold, treasure and wealth,
The only condition is to ignore them,
Those who feed on corruption and weave death
28.06.2011 - 04:46
stephenssaiyan
Account deleted
My friends older brother 15 years ago played master of puppets on his rr3 through peavy full stack and Ive been mesmorized ever since.
06.07.2011 - 14:22
Smriti
Rammstein.
----
http://www.last.fm/user/-Smriti-
06.07.2011 - 18:54
Uldreth
Mainstream metal tracks in World of Warcraft videos

Then a friend gave me a (at the time) full dicography of In Flames.

Then from then on I got into more and more extreme stuff.
06.07.2011 - 19:40
Cuca Beludo
Account deleted
Hard to say... I used to think music is a lost of time, then i started to play Guitar Hero and i listened some good songs. Some months after, i was searching more songs of the type on Youtube, discovered the band Maximum The Hormone (my favorite band, and the band that made me search even more metal). I begin to talk with peoples more Old than me, that saw the days when Hard Rock and Heavy Metal was all the rage, and finally i become what everybody see now
06.07.2011 - 19:43
Cuca Beludo
Account deleted
Written by Iron Nostarion on 28.06.2011 at 01:58

IF YOU WANT TO READ MUCH:
[
What really started me in the path of Metal was.. I think, pop punk. However, I grew tired of its shit and tried metalcore (thinking it was "death metal".. sorry, Atreyu apparently isn't really death metal). Loved it. Then again I grew tired and especially of the cheap screamo stuff. Then when I listened to my first ever Metallica song on YouTube, "The Four Horsemen", there you go. I indeed then fell in love with Metal. I stayed like a year only juggling a small playlist comprised of a few Metallica albums, a few Slayer songs and Megadeth's "Peace Sells", which I had known from Rock Band 2. Also Judas Priest's "Painkiller".

Last summer, I got this metalhead blast after I listened to Cannibal Corpse's "Hammer Smashed Face" from a metalhead friend. And it changed my musical taste entirely, I dumped all of the shit that was on my library (about 100+ songs of crappy Pop which I had hated inside of me but couldn't find something else I liked). It made my taste wider in music in general. Although I took a few, light steps into diving deeper into the more extreme, since I had started first with Heavy and Thrash, then slowly also liked Folk and stuff, then Death, then Black, etc.
]

IF YOU WANT A SUMMARY:

Metallica got me into most of the stuff, imo. With a few Slayer there, too, and I was then - in just one year - the owner of a pretty much massive metal music collection. And that stuff on my MS collection isn't all.

That was a long read
07.07.2011 - 00:24
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Ghetto environment!!
07.07.2011 - 00:42
Toddmovers
I think I gave my mom problems since I think I was born doing metal stuff. I have always loved rock.:wall:
----
Neighbor
09.07.2011 - 18:02
EmperorGonzo
Account deleted
Metal turned me into a metal head.
09.07.2011 - 19:55
When I was 10 I heard 'Book of Heavy Metal' by Dream Evil and my tastes have grown more and more extreme since then. Fuck yeah
09.07.2011 - 21:01
Bulletdodger
Written by Guest on 09.07.2011 at 18:02

Metal turned me into a metal head.

+1
Best answer so far.
----
Aus dem Paradies, das Cantor uns geschaffen, soll uns niemand vertreiben können.
David Hilbert
10.07.2011 - 00:50
Vacant Throne
When I was 12 I thought the cover to "Ride The Lightning" looked really awesome and as soon as I hit play on my Discman I never turned back!
16.07.2011 - 21:38
Randomly heard some Metallica aged 13 and went and bought myself Kill 'Em All...rest is history.
----
Abortion isn't murder. It's a perfectly good way to make smoothies.
17.07.2011 - 06:03
Xenosimian
12 years old someone gave me a Slipknot CD. From there I went into Cradle of Filth, As I Lay Dying, Darkest Hour.....etc....When I was 16 I found technical death metal (mostly Necrophagist, Aborted, Decapitated) and from there it was over. To this day tech death is my most favourite genre.
----
This body holding me, reminding me of my own mortality
We are eternal, this pain is just an illusion...
19.07.2011 - 02:22
Nesrail
Account deleted
My very first metal album was Linkin Park - Hybrid Theory. But I just wanted it darker. So I listen to Marilyn Manson and Korn. Then I heard about BLACK METAL!:necro: and was really into that. My first metal show EVER, was Gorgoroth in a little tiny space. And the rest is history:banger:
19.07.2011 - 03:55
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
First thing that turned me in to Metalhead was Ghetto Environment xD. I started with Maiden stuff then Metallica, Megadeth and then rest is history as other says.
19.07.2011 - 07:05
Lit. Metalhead
Account deleted
My transition into Heavy Metal is actually pretty amusing: My skull was born with cracks in it, so I had to have Titanium plating put on to fix it. One day when I was like 10 or so, A friend of mine called me a metalhead when he found out about it. I thought "Wow, Metalhead? What a cool phrase. Wonder if it means anything?" So I looked it up and discovered Heavy Metal with bands like AC/DC and Black Sabbath. Fortunately, my dad had a bunch of old CDs of Megadeth, Ozzy and Van Halen that I could listen to. I went on to discover other types (Black, Death and Thrash) myself.
19.07.2011 - 11:53
Pazu
Well, it's a pretty boring story actually, but it all started when I was around 14 or 15. Up to that point I really hadn't been listening to any kind of music. There was just no interest on my part. Then one day, one of my friends came over with his pc, so that we could play some games together. He was listening to some Linkin Park and I really liked the sound of it. I know, I know, LInkin Park is barely any metal, but that's how my story starts, so be patient. After listening to their albums Hybrid Theory and Meteora over and over and over again, I felt the need to check out something similar. Eventually, my frined and I discovered that band called Papa Roach, which is basically Linkin Park, just a littly more punky. However, our search went on, and so we also discovered Limp Bizkit and P.O.D., and I graduately enjoyed listening to heavier and harsher music bit by bit.

One day though, and this is where my boring story really starts, I was searching online for a song that was played during the intro of an anime called "X". I soon found out, that this song was "Mother Earth" by Within Temptation. I started listening to some of their other stuff and was amazed at how beautiful the quiet and often sad sound of the band was. It was a stark contrast to what I had been listening to before. That was around 2007-ish, and for a long, long time, WT was the only metal band I listened to, without even knowing it. Somewhere in time, I just grew a little bored of the same old stuff though, and was generally looking around for some good new music. This time, what grabbed my attention was a song in a fanvideo of a game called "Devil May Cry 3" (or 4?). Anyways, that song was "The Human Stain" by Kamelot, a band that I, once again, had to find out more about. That must have been around 2008, and yeah, someday I somehow found out, that I was actually listening to metal, which, to be honest, sort of shocked me a little at first, because there are certain things certain people tell about certain musical genres they have no idea of. You know, the usual story.

So, because I really, I mean really, enjoyed Kamelot's music, I had to search for other bands and songs of that ominous power metal genre. Of course looking at it now, it is no surprise, that I quickly discovered the work of my countrymen Blind Guardian. And from there on, it really was just one thing leading to another. I really forgot almost all about the Punk and Rock I had been listening to before (although Rise Against peaked my interest somewhere inbetween) and dug further and further into the realms of metal. And now you can read my "Help Me Get Into Death Metal" thread in the extreme forums, which is the latest station of my journey through music.

Me listening to metal really came down to Within Temptation, Kamelot and Blind Guardian. They introduced me to such a rich world with bands like Amorphis, Iron Maiden, Dream Theater, Wintersun, Helloween, Agalloch and so much more. Oh, and before I forget it, yes, DragonForce played a big role in that as well. No, I didn't get to know them through that Guitar Hero game, but found about them in a similar way I found out about Kamelot. Compared to what other bands I listen to now, they really don't shine all that much anymore, but sometimes DragonForce is just plain fun to listen to. I still like them a great deal.
19.07.2011 - 15:31
JÄY
Metal slave
...prolly an absent father
19.07.2011 - 18:52
Pennywise213
Account deleted
I was and am a big Hip Hop Fan, but in the Mid 2000s I got bored by the whole gangster shit and after I watched a Cradle of Filth video got to be an Extreme Metal fan.
But I still hate Judas Priest and other Posermetal.
20.07.2011 - 01:47
For me it was seeing Metallica's S&M gig on MCM (the Belgian/French version of MTV) when I was 10. I can pinpoint the moment to James's call-and-response of "MASTER -- MASTER!!" with the crowd during Master of Puppets. I'd never heard metal before and I just sat there transfixed by this sound which was alternately incredibly powerful and beautifully melodic, thinking FUCK YEAH every five seconds.
20.07.2011 - 03:55
SymphAlchemist
Evanescence.

Before I get crucified, I must say it's an easy band to lead people to search for "actual" metal bands.
22.07.2011 - 02:12
ColdRail
System of a Down

Well, mainstream metal, every friend of mine had toxicity and i started listening to soad until I got bored and started to looking for more metalbands, started with KoRn then when i heard behemoth's 'demigod for first time, I started to listen to every extreme metal genre one by one putting nu-metal right where it belongs. thank god I missed metalcore along the way
22.07.2011 - 05:46
Spirit Molecule
spirit molecule
Written by SymphAlchemist on 20.07.2011 at 03:55

Evanescence.

Before I get crucified, I must say it's an easy band to lead people to search for "actual" metal bands.

Haha, we're not judging you.
----
If you never wake up from a dream does it become reality?

Last fm
Don't click here
22.07.2011 - 07:35
EmperorGonzo
Account deleted
I was born and bread a metal head. The first show that I want to was Napalm Death. Grew up listening to extreme noise terror, napalm death, death, ect....
24.07.2011 - 08:43
SymphAlchemist
Written by ColdRail on 22.07.2011 at 02:12

thank god I missed metalcore along the way

metalcore sucks indeed heheh

Written by Spirit Molecule on 22.07.2011 at 05:46

Written by SymphAlchemist on 20.07.2011 at 03:55

Evanescence.

Haha, we're not judging you.

hehe

I just said that because I know how much prejudice there is against this band. Where I live there's a lot. Evanescence is even in the Metal Storm Black List

I've wondered why it is like this. Maybe because of it's popularity and for always being on media. And I must confess that there are a lot of poser fans too (it happens heh). Or maybe it is because of the simplicity of the songs.... But Lord, WHY IS IT NOT METAL for you?

hahehha
25.07.2011 - 09:54
ToMegaTherion
Music... and time... and taste.