Metal Storm logo
Free thrash metal!!

19.04.2010 - 19:34
Enemy
Bands it seems have realized that these days album sales aren't the best way to promote or make money. Bands like Gama bomb have been releasing their album for free in hopes of gathering more fans and getting more attendance at shows/merch sales etc. I think cds are great for the art and full packaging but with torrents and such there's no way cds will sell as much any more and it's just better if the music gets out to everyone. What does everyone here think?

My band Invection (www.myspace.com/invectionmetal) has been releasing our stuff for free for a while and we find a bunch of people really check it out more deeply when it's a full free release and not just some itunes or amazon sample and it's helped us a lot. You can download both of our EP's for free here, any feedback would really be appreciated. Here's the link to both our EP's:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/8lp5kh

The one concern people have is that if you offer music for free people won't buy it but I think that's not really true. Our EP "Demented Perception" was released on Stormspell Records and for an EP it sold pretty well and we continue to sell a lot of EP's and shirts at shows and we just get a lot more satisfaction out of knowing people are hearing and enjoying the music. With torrent sites these days anyway it's not like people can't find it for free, it just makes more sense for the band to do it themselves so they can control the quality of it, how and where it's released etc and the more sharing the better!
20.04.2010 - 00:25
Bitter Dawn
Ave Sathanas!
Much agreed man, this is some thing I've been saying on here for a while but, most people don't seem to grasp the concept there of.
20.04.2010 - 12:32
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Just made the link clickable. Now it stands out more. Hope it helps a bit.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

20.04.2010 - 14:46
Archetype
Thanks for the link!
I also agree. I'm thinking of doing the same thing when I get my music project/band into motion.
20.04.2010 - 18:10
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
Music sales falling is definitely a trend that has been ongoing and definitely wasn't helped by the economic recessions going around. I've heard all kinds of proposed solutions for not only downloading, but for making band revenue in alternative ways; things like radio song tax, unfortunately this would only help those bands which are played on the radio which would mean very few Heavy Metal bands.

I would like to think that the Metal community is more dedicated to their music than say Pop or Hip Hop fans, but then again I can guarantee that a lot of Metal fans still download. I think making albums available for free for a period of time after release is a great idea, or even releasing a previous LP/EP for free so that fans can get more a taste than just a few songs up on myspace, but I don't think this is a complete remedy to the situation either.

Honestly I have no idea what would help sales and the like except just community support which I believe is still very strong within Metal. There are big festivals that go on that draw huge crowds who all buy drinks, food, shirts, CDs etc so that definitely helps, in fact I believe most band revenue comes from touring, which itself costs a lot of money.

I don't download at all but I also am pretty selective when it comes to buying albums, but I definitely know that I buy albums that I've heard parts of before and free music obviously makes it easier for me to decide, along with seeing live shows; then again I'm not currently working so if I work instead of doing an internship over the summer I'm sure I'll buy a few albums. Just my two cents.

By the way, the band sounds great. Cheers.
----
The force will be with you, always.
20.04.2010 - 19:47
Insineratehymn
Account deleted
My habit is that I download an album first, and if I really like it, I'll go out and buy the physical copy. I found that the physical copy is of a much higher sound quality than mp3s. Also, looking at the album cover on a computer screen isn't the same as looking at it when it's right in your hands. In short, I support the bands, but it takes me some time to do so.
20.04.2010 - 20:26
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
Written by [user id=5630] on 20.04.2010 at 19:47

My habit is that I download an album first, and if I really like it, I'll go out and buy the physical copy. I found that the physical copy is of a much higher sound quality than mp3s. Also, looking at the album cover on a computer screen isn't the same as looking at it when it's right in your hands. In short, I support the bands, but it takes me some time to do so.

But wouldn't you agree once you have an album downloaded, you would be more partial to just leave it on your computer and just get the album another day? But eventually that another day never comes and you load it onto your mp3 player or burn it to a CD. I'm not accusing you, but this used to be me and I can bet that it's a lot of people; using a torrent program to download entire discographies in a few hours and then uploading it to an mp3 player is a lot cheaper and more efficient than driving to the store and spending tens to hundreds of dollars on CDs.
----
20.04.2010 - 21:12
spirit_inblack
harshhead
For the moment, personally it is better for me, even though I do buy a lot of cd's and I love vinyl and shirts and specialty items and such. I don't have a collection on here cause I really don't have the time to just sit down and input all of what I own, but I think it's good and bad. I definitely want the copy of an album in all versions possible if it's an album that I really enjoy, but on the other hand, my priorities to tend to have to pay for my school/rent/food first of all, so it's pretty nice in that way.
20.04.2010 - 22:49
Insineratehymn
Account deleted
Written by Clintagräm on 20.04.2010 at 20:26

Written by [user id=5630] on 20.04.2010 at 19:47

But wouldn't you agree once you have an album downloaded, you would be more partial to just leave it on your computer and just get the album another day? But eventually that another day never comes and you load it onto your mp3 player or burn it to a CD. I'm not accusing you, but this used to be me and I can bet that it's a lot of people; using a torrent program to download entire discographies in a few hours and then uploading it to an mp3 player is a lot cheaper and more efficient than driving to the store and spending tens to hundreds of dollars on CDs.

That may be, but I'm trying my best to not be known as an asshole who only downloads music and refuses to support the bands. Also, I don't have an mp3 player as I rarely leave my house and I don't have a CD-r drive so I can't burn CDs. Even if I did burn CDs, I would have no proper place to put them..
20.04.2010 - 23:33
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Contributor
Oh lord, another forum topic version of "this" subject

- Peeps will continue to download even after this economic resession because it is much more efficient to point and click rather then driving around town trying to find an ever-dwindling number of record stores that probably doesn't carry your rare metal anyways. For that matter, go into a Bestbuy/Target/Walmart and try to find a Porcupine Tree or Jesu cd...

- The actual downloads themselves are becoming much better in quality with programs such as FLAC and Apple Lossless...nearly identical to the commercial release

- Their are other ways to support your fav bands: go to concerts, buy merchandise, tell your metal friends about them, post news about them on a blog, twitter, myspace, facebook, etc.
----
rekt
21.04.2010 - 00:15
Bitter Dawn
Ave Sathanas!
Written by tea[m]ster on 20.04.2010 at 23:33

- Their are other ways to support your fav bands: go to concerts, buy merchandise, tell your metal friends about them, post news about them on a blog, twitter, myspace, facebook, etc.

Exactly. This is how the bands actually start to break even and, eventually make money.
21.04.2010 - 01:33
Enemy
Written by Bitter Dawn on 21.04.2010 at 00:15

Exactly. This is how the bands actually start to break even and, eventually make money.

Yeah, if we hadn't put our EP's up for free download and post them many places I'm pretty sure no one outside of our local scene would've heard of us. Also our EP "Demented Perception" actually did sell fairly well for an EP so people clearly are still buying cds and supporting the bands by buying cds and spreading the word. We're promoting stuff for free as much as possible with the hopes that when it comes time to release a full length all the people who enjoy our stuff will buy it, buy a shirt or come out and see us on a tour. If not even that then at least they'll know of us and be able to enjoy our music and that's a great feeling.
21.04.2010 - 02:03
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder

- Peeps will continue to download even after this economic resession because it is much more efficient to point and click rather then driving around town trying to find an ever-dwindling number of record stores that probably doesn't carry your rare metal anyways. For that matter, go into a Bestbuy/Target/Walmart and try to find a Porcupine Tree or Jesu cd...

- The actual downloads themselves are becoming much better in quality with programs such as FLAC and Apple Lossless...nearly identical to the commercial release

So what, don't even try and fix the situation? Do you download?
----
25.04.2010 - 05:10
Enemy
Anyone have any feedback on either of my bands EP's? part of the reason we post it for free is because we're going to be recording a new album this summer so any tracks you specifically liked, any stylistic thing you don't like etc I'd much appreciate.
25.04.2010 - 18:30
Saitenhexerin
Guys, that's some pretty amazing stuff you've got there! Especially the 2010 ep fucking rips! What I really like about your song is the mixture of these old school influences but you still sound somewhat innovative! I hope there'll be a full length debut in the future and some tours that also come over to europe! As I'm visiting San Francisco (hopefully) soon, I hope to catch one of your shows! m/
----
- When I die, bury me in smoke.
- Defendress of the Faith.
26.04.2010 - 06:41
Enemy
Glad you like it! We probably won't be touring europe any time soon but we'll be recording a full length this summer and hopefully it'll be better than anything we've done so far. Thanks for the support!
26.04.2010 - 15:14
Throne Dweller
The best way for projects like mine is really to give the option to sell CDs, but provide the download link regardless.

You're not really losing any sales because the people torrenting their shit will do it regardless; if somebody wants your CD they'll buy it.

As soon as I finish my EP it's being sent to as many download blogs as I can be bothered doing; create some circulation.
26.04.2010 - 18:32
Enemy
Yeah that's a good way to do it, is it going to be your first EP? If it's your second I'd strongly recommend going for a full album and shopping it to a small DIY label, that's the one regret I have with doing so many EP's. We put so much into each EP but it's hard to get a label interested in an EP and while internet promo is great, having your cd available from a label is still very valuable too.
01.05.2010 - 01:49
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Contributor
Written by Clintagräm on 21.04.2010 at 02:03

So what, don't even try and fix the situation? Do you download?

What needs to be fixed??
----
rekt
03.05.2010 - 05:23
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
Written by tea[m]ster on 01.05.2010 at 01:49

What needs to be fixed??

Answer my question, and I'll answer yours.
----
05.05.2010 - 01:24
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Contributor
Written by Clintagräm on 03.05.2010 at 05:23

Written by tea[m]ster on 01.05.2010 at 01:49

What needs to be fixed??

Answer my question, and I'll answer yours.

I don't think that really matters, downloading will never be stopped.
----
rekt
05.05.2010 - 04:20
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
Written by tea[m]ster on 05.05.2010 at 01:24

I agree, but with a scene like Heavy Metal, I think we should at least encourage the community to support bands by buying some albums. I realize that you can only get ahold of uber-rare demos via downloading and that really doesn't bother me. Even listening to an album in some other way than buying it is okay. But when people download whole discographies and burn them to CDs, never intending to buy them it's just kind of sad.

Yeah sure, you can support the band other ways, but that's not sound reasoning for downloading. I would just encourage people to buy when they can and try and just listen to samples or single songs when they can't. I find a lot of whole albums available to listen on youtube and do that sometimes. But downloading and keeping, burning it for yourself and others just isn't right. Especially when you have all these people who say they are die hard fans but don't buy albums. It's also annoying when people reason that they don't have money right now but don't see the misplaced reasoning in basically stealing from musicians trying to make money.

Just my two cents.
----
05.05.2010 - 12:37
Throne Dweller
Written by Clintagräm on 05.05.2010 at 04:20

Written by tea[m]ster on 05.05.2010 at 01:24

I agree, but with a scene like Heavy Metal, I think we should at least encourage the community to support bands by buying some albums. I realize that you can only get ahold of uber-rare demos via downloading and that really doesn't bother me. Even listening to an album in some other way than buying it is okay. But when people download whole discographies and burn them to CDs, never intending to buy them it's just kind of sad.

Yeah sure, you can support the band other ways, but that's not sound reasoning for downloading. I would just encourage people to buy when they can and try and just listen to samples or single songs when they can't. I find a lot of whole albums available to listen on youtube and do that sometimes. But downloading and keeping, burning it for yourself and others just isn't right. Especially when you have all these people who say they are die hard fans but don't buy albums. It's also annoying when people reason that they don't have money right now but don't see the misplaced reasoning in basically stealing from musicians trying to make money.

Just my two cents.

Most musicians who do it for the love of music (the musicians that instantly get my respect, regardless of their skill), aren't really in it for the money. They're well aware they won't break even on the recording expenses and creative work and they just like having their music heard.
I've bought at least $3,000 worth of CDs and I'm an unemployed student. There is no way I can afford any more for now and expansion of my library is a must with my constantly developing tastes, granted I might like a band for a while and intend to eventually buy their material, but then by the time I actually have the money I may not enjoy their music as passionately.

The problem is that not only is it convenient, but every individual has their own story behind how and why they can or cannot buy their music; it's temperamental and situational.
05.05.2010 - 19:34
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
Written by Throne Dweller on 05.05.2010 at 12:37

Most musicians who do it for the love of music (the musicians that instantly get my respect, regardless of their skill), aren't really in it for the money. They're well aware they won't break even on the recording expenses and creative work and they just like having their music heard.
I've bought at least $3,000 worth of CDs and I'm an unemployed student. There is no way I can afford any more for now and expansion of my library is a must with my constantly developing tastes, granted I might like a band for a while and intend to eventually buy their material, but then by the time I actually have the money I may not enjoy their music as passionately.

The problem is that not only is it convenient, but every individual has their own story behind how and why they can or cannot buy their music; it's temperamental and situational.

That's a terribly lame excuse. Maybe I want to expand my library but since I can't afford it I'll just go steal it. It doesn't really work that way. Saying "I've bought some albums so it's okay to download a few" doesn't make it okay either. You say it's temperamental and situational, but a burned CD can last just as long as an official hard copy. Why would you go buy an album you've already been able to listen to via downloading and burning once you've got to money when you could just save and continue downloading? Your reasoning is misplaced.
----
07.05.2010 - 10:21
Throne Dweller
Written by Clintagräm on 05.05.2010 at 19:34

Written by Throne Dweller on 05.05.2010 at 12:37

That's a terribly lame excuse. Maybe I want to expand my library but since I can't afford it I'll just go steal it. It doesn't really work that way. Saying "I've bought some albums so it's okay to download a few" doesn't make it okay either. You say it's temperamental and situational, but a burned CD can last just as long as an official hard copy. Why would you go buy an album you've already been able to listen to via downloading and burning once you've got to money when you could just save and continue downloading? Your reasoning is misplaced.

I think you misread my post, as saying my reasoning is misplaced suggests I left with a conclusion.
I never said it was an excuse for me to download an album; I just said it was my only option other than simply not having the music, which as a personal choice I choose to continue developing my library. I still try to support the artists I like, regardless.
07.05.2010 - 10:39
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
Written by Throne Dweller on 07.05.2010 at 10:21

I think you misread my post, as saying my reasoning is misplaced suggests I left with a conclusion.
I never said it was an excuse for me to download an album; I just said it was my only option other than simply not having the music, which as a personal choice I choose to continue developing my library. I still try to support the artists I like, regardless.

Just listen to songs up on myspace or last.fm. I don't see why you need to steal. I think you can do without downloading that album and burning it or putting it on an mp3 player; and I think you should. Simply deciding "I want that" and then stealing it is illegal. I would understand if it was a life or death situation or something like smoking pot, but this is a whole different issue. You can't support a band by stealing their music.
----
08.05.2010 - 04:04
Throne Dweller
Written by Clintagräm on 07.05.2010 at 10:39

Written by Throne Dweller on 07.05.2010 at 10:21

Just listen to songs up on myspace or last.fm. I don't see why you need to steal. I think you can do without downloading that album and burning it or putting it on an mp3 player; and I think you should. Simply deciding "I want that" and then stealing it is illegal. I would understand if it was a life or death situation or something like smoking pot, but this is a whole different issue. You can't support a band by stealing their music.

That's wrong; as stealing their music usually acts as a prelude to buying it. For me, anyway.

I never said it wasn't illegal, I already stated it's a personal choice, and I'm well aware of the repercussions it holds to the artists. I'm trying to break my internet usage too, so Myspace and Last.fm really doesn't cut it for me. Also I'd be damned if I could ever find 3/4ths of the artist's CDs I have to buy, regardless. Whenever I actually find something I'll break into my food-money, even. So don't be all self-righteous here. My initial post regarding this was contained my overview to why the industry is failing, and that's because it's all subjective and temperamental.
08.05.2010 - 10:25
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
Written by Throne Dweller on 08.05.2010 at 04:04

That's wrong; as stealing their music usually acts as a prelude to buying it. For me, anyway.

I never said it wasn't illegal, I already stated it's a personal choice, and I'm well aware of the repercussions it holds to the artists. I'm trying to break my internet usage too, so Myspace and Last.fm really doesn't cut it for me. Also I'd be damned if I could ever find 3/4ths of the artist's CDs I have to buy, regardless. Whenever I actually find something I'll break into my food-money, even. So don't be all self-righteous here. My initial post regarding this was contained my overview to why the industry is failing, and that's because it's all subjective and temperamental.

I understand, but it's still just a half-assed excuse. And besides, I'm the self-proclaimed, self-righteous king of the world. So don't be so fatuous regarding my facetiousness.
----
12.10.2010 - 07:37
Enemy
Bumping this because the new album is coming out soon! it's a full length titled Facet Of Aberration; artwork done by Dan Seagrave, 10 tracks, recorded at Studio SQ and Panda Studios and will be mastered by Alan Douches. If you haven't heard our old EP's now is the time to check them out as the album is getting closer to being done every day and we're talking to labels about a release!

http://www.sendspace.com/file/8lp5kh

also check out some new song samples on our youtube channel (and like the videos and subscribe to the channel if you can, we'd really appreciate it!

http://www.youtube.com/user/Invectionofficial

also you can check us out on our official myspace and facebook, add us/become a fan!

http://www.myspace.com/invectionmetal
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Invection/252167965052
24.10.2010 - 16:49
BudDa
Elite
Excruciator, a new thrash band from the States is offering up their new EP for free download at the following location
The EP is called; By The Gates Of Flesh..
----
Freeze! Step away from the hubris.