+ Concept - Concept Of The Human Equation
+ Drums - Interview With Ed Warby's Drums
+ Video - Day Eleven: Love [Video}
+ Teaser - Teaser Trailer

The Best Progressive Metal Album Of 2004
Top 20 albums of 2004: 2
Top 200 albums of all time: 44

Line-up
Arjen Anthony Lucassen - vocals, guitars, bass, mandoline, keyboards, synths, Hammond organ, lap steele guitar

Additional Musicians:
Ed Warby - drums, percussion

Marcela Bovio - vocals
Kevin James LaBrie - vocals
Mikael Åkerfeldt - vocals
Eric Clayton - vocals
Irene Jansen - vocals
Magnus Ekwall - vocals
Heather Findlay - vocals
Devon "Buddy Lackey" Graves - vocals
Devin Garret Townsend - vocals
Mike Baker - vocals

Robert Baba - violins
Marieke van der Heyden - cellos
John McManus - flute, whistle
Jeroen Goossens - flute, panpipes, didgeridoo, bassoon, recorder
Joost van den Broek - synth solo, spinet
Martin Orford - synth solo
Ken Hensley - hammond solo
Oliver Wakeman - synth solo

Peter Daltrey - voice
Yvette Boertje - voice
Boudewijn Bonebakker - transcriptions
Meri Pitkänen - cough

Staff review by
Jeff
Rating:
After 4 long years, one of the best musicians is back with again something? just magic? Thanks a lot for being back Arjen, thanks again for producing great stuff like you do each and every time.
My friends, the new fantastic album of Mr Lucassen through Ayreon is released now and I'm proud to say that we have here one of the most beautiful things that I've ever heard. "The Human Equation" with its fantastic guest singers combo, with its magic musicians, with its beautiful songs, is now in store and the only thing that I can say is that all the guys who pretend to be metal or music lovers must own it. Otherwise? Shame on you?

Read more ››
published 27.05.2004 | Comments (24)

Staff review by
Ivor
Rating:
After having busied himself with Ambeon and Star One the mastermind Arjen Anthony Lucassen is back with Ayreon - a project that can be equalized with the meaning of rock operas and concept albums. And this time he is back with the 6th ambitious album and as always with lots of guest singers and musicians.

Unlike previous releases this one has been accompanied with a lot of promotion that has tickled the nerves of fans for almost a year. But the wait was worth it. The album features eleven singers and great musicians of whom only drummer Ed Warby and Arjen himself have appeared on previous Ayreon albums before, a small rule Arjen introduced to keep things fresh.

Read more ››
published 11.06.2004 | Comments (13)

Found in 71 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 31   Visited by: 2052 users
24.05.2010 - 08:11
Rating: 10
Mehdi Taba
Mehdi Taba
I just can say that's a perfect great album.
----
Stop seeing things and people in a binary way. Everything has its own spectrum and complexity. Be patient and learn about the world.
26.01.2011 - 04:00
ErnilEnNaur
Account deleted
I don't know about perfect, but it's the best Ayreon album and that makes it my favorite album of all time. The only album that comes close is TBH by Kamelot, but nothing else can hold a candle to this powerful, emotional and entirely human masterpiece.
30.05.2011 - 23:28
MiguelLopes
Doesnt deserve less then a big 10
----
Participa no forum portugues de red hot chili peppers e ajuda-nos a crescer
http://rhcpportugal.forumeiros.com/
14.11.2012 - 22:37
Rating: 9
Erik M.
My second favourite Ayreon release, and definitely a great album. It has probably the best story out of any album I've ever heard. That being said, I don't like all songs, hence why it's not a 10/10 for me.
22.04.2013 - 11:51
Rhiannon
Account deleted
I finally got around to listen to this, and wow, it's really the masterpiece people say. However, it's one of those albums which needs time to get into, during the first listens it can seem boring/too mellow. But after a few more spins I really started to enjoy it, the vocals, the atmosphere, the story, the keyboard solos, everything. I still slightly prefer Into The Electric Castle, but it's a great album too.
30.07.2013 - 14:42
Lethrokai
For many metal fans, this album is a dream come true. I'm not going to call it "perfect" and raise it up to the sun in its eternal glory, (because lets face it, there is NO such album like that out there) but it IS my favourite album of all time.
Every single vocalist on the album shows off exactly what they can do. James LaBrie actually sounds BETTER than on a lot of his Dream Theater albums, and every single voice that takes the metaphorical stage on this album seems to be the star of the show.
The music is there for every kind of metal fan - you've got the folk, the prog, the heavy, the ballad... and all have been executed in high standard.
Rarely will you find an album so diverse, yet so flawlessly sewn together.
It's simply a masterpiece.
Not perfect.
But a masterpiece.
----
Sometimes you just need to roll the dice and look away.
26.10.2013 - 17:01
R Lewis
It took a while to grow on me, but this is beyond awesome. I can't get tired of listening to it.
----
We could be so much more than we are. Stop.
26.11.2013 - 18:44
LordHypnos
Account deleted
The first time I listened to this I found it quite boring, but now I like it a lot!
25.03.2014 - 22:09
R Lewis
Every now and then I take two hours for myself, lie on the sofa and play this. God how I love this album.
----
We could be so much more than we are. Stop.
01.09.2014 - 08:27
ATG
For anyone who wants to hear an album that combines every element of what progressive music is, this is a must listen to, The Human Equation is a masterpiece.
05.08.2017 - 21:41
Rating: 5
Rulatore
After running out of things to listen I decided to give this a try.

I'm really disappointed, even though I know some of the latest work from this guy, everyone claiming this is one of the best things ever made in music I decided to give it a try and I felt it was more of the same, except that this might be the first of its kind and I heard it backwards so nothing impressive

I don't get the hype with this guy and now this album, I admit that prog rock isn't really my main thing but this is just a storytelling album with simple music and a cool history. What I mean by this is that I feel that he didnt put much effort into the music as he did in the concept.

I've seen better prog rock albums and better concept albums than this by far. So yeah, I dont get the praise

Also, Mikael Åkerfeldt is really good on this one, like, surprisingly good
29.09.2017 - 08:47
el_Lillo
One cannot blame Ayreon for being over the top because that's what it is about: pomposity. So if one likes that kind of stuff then they're gonna like it and, in this case, love it. In my opinion, this is a good album, even more than that. What I actually like about this record is its ambition and, for that matter, it pays off.
29.09.2017 - 09:52
Rating: 7
Daniell
_爱情_
Elite
Written by el_Lillo on 29.09.2017 at 08:47

One cannot blame Ayreon for being over the top because that's what it is about: pomposity. So if one likes that kind of stuff then they're gonna like it and, in this case, love it.

But in this case this pomposity is hard to bear. the album contains quite a few good songs, that's why I rated it with a 7, but it's cheesiness and bloated pomposity is off the charts. Some of the next Ayreon's albums are even worse...
30.09.2017 - 05:59
el_Lillo
Written by Daniell on 29.09.2017 at 09:52

Written by el_Lillo on 29.09.2017 at 08:47

One cannot blame Ayreon for being over the top because that's what it is about: pomposity. So if one likes that kind of stuff then they're gonna like it and, in this case, love it.

But in this case this pomposity is hard to bear. the album contains quite a few good songs, that's why I rated it with a 7, but it's cheesiness and bloated pomposity is off the charts. Some of the next Ayreon's albums are even worse...

The thing is I rate records according to my taste because I don't think I can say that an album is good just 'cause I like it, or viceversa, y'know? I mean, if you say its pomposity is unbearable, then that's your taste and you rate it accordingly. But saying something is bad because I don't like it is another thing. In other words, some people like it the way it is and some people just don't but, personally, I find it kind of arrogant to think that I like only the best so what I don't like is bad.
29.11.2018 - 21:04
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
All Ayreon albums are great, but this one stand above all. This is the most solid 10/10 I can give
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

21.03.2019 - 00:47
Rating: 6
Redel

What is it that I am missing here? And where can I find it?
23.03.2019 - 21:09
Azarath
Free as a.. Fish
Written by Redel on 21.03.2019 at 00:47

What is it that I am missing here?

Emotions?
19.04.2020 - 22:50
The Witchfinder
Account deleted
Never knew how much I needed this in my life:

14.05.2020 - 14:19
Mr. Mackey
Fantastic album with a very pleasant atmosphere and lots of variations. For a large part not even metal, but who cares anyway
I prefer this one infinitely more than the other albums.
09.07.2021 - 04:20
Rating: 5
Vonpire

Absolutely nothing and no where to be found. But if you like cheese with pomposity you may call it "emotions".
----
Beware the Shadows of Dusk
19.01.2022 - 09:02
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Written by Azarath on 23.03.2019 at 21:09

Emotions?

Emotions.
I remember...
----

19.01.2022 - 09:44
Redel
Written by Ellrohir on 19.01.2022 at 09:02

Written by Azarath on 23.03.2019 at 21:09

Emotions?

Emotions.
I remember...

I dont.
This is one of those albums where I sometimes think I should maybe respin in order to recall and update.
But then I never do it.
20.01.2022 - 15:21
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
For me this album is a clear masterpiece.

And I regret I haven't seen that live:
----

03.02.2023 - 16:19
yeah1980
Almost 20 years ago...
I listened to this for the first time.
I'll never forget the first time.
When "Day Eleven: Love" happened.
The song was over and I was just blown away... Couldn't believe I still had a full CD to go through.
----
"Be water, my friend" (Bruce Lee)
03.02.2023 - 23:43
JoHn Doe

I don't get it either. And I love all sorts of prog.
----
I thought the two primary purposes for the internet were cat memes and overreactions.
04.02.2023 - 14:42
Redel
Written by JoHn Doe on 03.02.2023 at 23:43

It is definitely time for me to respin this album since I dont recall anything -- except for my reaction
04.02.2023 - 14:43
JoHn Doe
Written by Redel on 04.02.2023 at 14:42

Written by JoHn Doe on 03.02.2023 at 23:43

It is definitely time for me to respin this album since I dont recall anything -- except for my reaction

I will not, I can't stand this band anymore.
----
I thought the two primary purposes for the internet were cat memes and overreactions.
04.02.2023 - 14:46
Redel
Written by JoHn Doe on 04.02.2023 at 14:43

I will not

I dont promise that I will respin, I just realized that there is reason to do it.
28.12.2023 - 21:02
Rating: 8
Metren
Dreadrealm
Introducing this album to my best friend (who has never been a prog fan at all before today) as I write this. He almost looks like he has received a revelation from the gods. Love to see it, love to see the impact of great music on people who've never heard anything quite like it.
----
My one-man project's Bandcamp with free downloads: https://dreadrealm.bandcamp.com/
16.02.2024 - 09:39
majormalfunction
Strong album, lots of excellent executed ideas and the whole album feels like a entity. Every song here seems to have it's place and have something that stands out in them.. it's a long one but never boring.
----
Everything's twice as bright with money in your hands

Hits total: 41942 | This month: 127