Metal Storm logo
Bands you like, but are ashamed of it

Original post

Posted by tuerda, 25.08.2006 - 05:26
So yeah, I'm sure this happens to a lot of people. There is some band that you shouldn't like. There is something wrong with it. You might even think that it's bad . . . But you love it! You nod along to the music and can't help but sing along if you know the lyrics. You love it, and you hate the fact that you love it. So yeah, does this happen to anyone else, and if so, with what bands?

For me, the most obvious one is Rhapsody. They are really really cheesy, and all of their songs sound more or less the same to me. I feel it is all charged with vacuous optimism, and the lyrics are terrible. But yes, I like them. Please don't tell anyone.

Also, I like Bal Sagoth. They are pretty much the cheesiest band on earth, and it is precisely the cheesiness that makes me love them so. The "dark" vocals are anything but creepy and all of the "symphonics" sound fake. It's so bad that it's good!

There are some Emperor songs that I like. I have moral issues with liking Emperor. The black metal act is sometimes interesting, and often funny as hell. I approve of it . . . but only so long as it is an act. Church burning is not cool. Neither is killing people.
27.03.2008 - 14:55
Nox Lux
codebreaker
Full on Mr. Doctor! I strangely think she's really attractive too. I recommend you pick up the Greatest Hits album, and then download Who Is It? and Oceania individually (they were recorded after the Greatest Hits album was) for the ultimate collection in Bjork's best songs.

Korn's self-titled debut and Life is Peachy are indeed good albums, don't care what anyone says. I just didn't mention them because I don't find it as such an embarrassment.

What's truly an embarrassment is the crap they're churning out now.

----
][{ ]|/ ][_ "][" -- ][3) ][_ /=|[ [( ][{ -- ][][][ |E[ "][" ]|= ][_

"Thoughts fall in season with the right stand, rake the land
This Autumn's early leafshed a recompense for Summer's wane."
~ Nox Lux
28.03.2008 - 13:35
owl
*owl thinks hard*

*harder*

... can't come up with something I listen to and embarrasses me. If I like it, I assume it without any problems.
----
29.03.2008 - 01:07
Buggy
Account deleted
Personally, I have no ambivalence thowards my musical tastes. Socially, however, I will usually avoid mentioning to new people I meet (unless I know they share the same tastes) that I like some extreme metal bands (1349, Darkthrone, etc.), not so much because I am ashamed of it, but because it tends to generate inaccurate assumptions and expectations about myself in others (I don't identify or fit into the metal "culture" at all). Since it might give off the wrong impression, it's really a case of the less they hear, the more they know about me.
29.03.2008 - 04:23
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat
Written by Nox Lux on 27.03.2008 at 14:55

Korn's self-titled debut and Life is Peachy are indeed good albums, don't care what anyone says. I just didn't mention them because I don't find it as such an embarrassment.

What's truly an embarrassment is the crap they're churning out now.

Follow The Leader and Issues are pretty good too, IMO.
----
"Nobody wants to be the weird kid, you just end up being the weird kid. You don't know how you ended up getting there" - Rob Zombie

http://jonas-bs.deviantart.com My dA, mainly photography, go check it out!
29.04.2008 - 23:59
Haightredy
.......Dragonforce

............. *cries* ......hold me please...
30.04.2008 - 16:55
RhysTerk
Slipknot.
I'm not really ashamed that i like them, but i can't understand that people here don't like them.
IMO it's not nu-metal, more like Pantera-style-metal.
30.04.2008 - 22:40
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Pantera-style-Metal?!

I don't like Pantera... I'd never pay some attention to them... but it has nothing to do with slipknot.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
01.05.2008 - 22:51
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Written by Nox Lux on 27.03.2008 at 03:38

Frank Sinatra

Sinatra is simply amazing.

"The Very Good Years" is a fantastic album containing a lot of his best known performances, including "That's Life", "My Way", "Luck be a Lady", "My Kind of Town", and some live versions of "I've got you under my skin" and "The Lady is a Tramp"

I used to karaoke a couple of those songs - I can't sing for shit, but somehow could channel enough of the Chairman to croon an entertaining time. Did well with the ladies because of it, too.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
02.05.2008 - 02:26
Nox Lux
codebreaker
@BitterCold ~ Nice one. That album sounds great. One that's a little harder to get or that is not paid enough attention to or given as much praise, that deserves some notice is Watertown. This is a mellowing, and some might say more sombre album compared to his others. There is some of the most heart-string-pulling songs on that album. Check it out if you would like some Frank Sinatra songs that are a little unknown. Could also be well good for karaoke

@RhysTerk ~ I actually like Slipknot's self-titled. They are nu-metal though, because of the sampling and DJing as well as the lack of leads and that raw-rapping vocal technique. Probably anyone on this site would agree with me in saying they are actually the most quintessential and archetypal nu-metal band. I saw them live when I was 17 in Birmingham. They were actually quite good. Well, as you would imagine, 4 of them were quite good. The others were just....there...jumping around a lot. This reminds me of one of a joke;

How many Slipknot members does it take to screw in a light bulb?
4 to actually screw the light bulb in and 5 to jump around doing nothing.

Other bands I'm ashamed to say I like are;
The Panics
Resin Dogs
Gomez
Kate Nosh [that british Lilly Allen-style singer]
Brian Jonestown Massacre
The Dandy Warhols [that 'Dig!' film is one of my favourite films ever, and kind of changed my mind in the way that I view some of this kind of music]
Status Quo

----
][{ ]|/ ][_ "][" -- ][3) ][_ /=|[ [( ][{ -- ][][][ |E[ "][" ]|= ][_

"Thoughts fall in season with the right stand, rake the land
This Autumn's early leafshed a recompense for Summer's wane."
~ Nox Lux
05.05.2008 - 01:06
AngelofGrief
The Killers, Dresden Dolls, and Wicked Wisdom.
16.05.2008 - 01:26
Deus Ex Machina
Manowar.
They make me want to take off my panties, take pictures and send them...."fanmail"

Ok, FINE. I'm lying.
10.07.2008 - 17:07
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Deus Ex Machina on 16.05.2008 at 01:26

Manowar.
They make me want to take off my panties, take pictures and send them...."fanmail"

Ok, FINE. I'm lying.

LOL... best reply in the whole thread ... should have used the emoticon though

like other people here, i don't mention the heavier bands i enjoy, especially to people who don't like metal. i mean i was wearing a Led Zeppelin shirt one day at school for the first time and people started calling me names. guess who never heard of Led Zeppelin : i mean what if i was wearing a Paraccocidowhatever shirt?

i mean, who wouldn't laugh if they heard about a band like Judas Priest. people might find the name funny, so when people ask me what i listen to(and they don't like metal) i only say 'rock, heavier stuff, you know'
11.07.2008 - 13:08
Candlemass
Defaeco
Some Israeli rock/pop?
16.07.2008 - 09:34
Hrothdane
I by all means SHOULD be ashamed of alot of the metal I listen to (especially dragonforce)...

Instead, I blare it at work and sing along to it
----
Despair is death, and I'm not interested in dying.

Member of the True Crusade against True Crusades
27.07.2008 - 11:02
Diluted
Account deleted
beethoven.....
27.07.2008 - 11:56
FOOCK Nam
Written by Guest on 27.07.2008 at 11:02

beethoven.....

Why ashamed of Beethoven?
27.07.2008 - 12:38
Diluted
Account deleted
Written by FOOCK Nam on 27.07.2008 at 11:56

Written by Guest on 27.07.2008 at 11:02

beethoven.....

Why ashamed of Beethoven?

hes not metal... i dont usually tell people this, he's an amazing musician... he's just not the type of person i tell people i listen to
27.07.2008 - 12:44
Tórnach
Account deleted
I have the Final Fantasy 8 and 9 ending songs in my music library...and I listen to em often. Yeah, I'm ashamed as hell.
31.07.2008 - 17:06
EddieGunner
Valkoinen kuolem
all i like i like for myself, so i em not ashamed of nay song or band i like to listen
----
On pirun vaikea selvitä hengissä hautaan saakka
It is damn difficult to stay alive till the grave
Erno Paasilinna
:devil:
02.08.2008 - 01:45
thesabbathfan
slipknot and disturbed >.>
----
13.08.2008 - 20:56
Misfit
Account deleted
I'm not ashamed who I listen to. I listened to Sign's "Run to the Hills" and liked it if that tells you anything. I just don't give a fuck, especially what others say about my tastes.
21.08.2008 - 16:03
Deadsoulman
Elite
Written by Guest on 21.08.2008 at 14:40

I am certainly not proud of liking Portishead.

Portishead used to be a very good band - they really lost it with the new album I think. Granted, they're probably not the best trip-hop band out there, unlike what a lot of worshippers say, but they've had their moments of genius (like that "Roads" song for instance).
21.08.2008 - 16:24
Elio
Red Nightmare
Written by Guest on 27.07.2008 at 12:44

I have the Final Fantasy 8 and 9 ending songs in my music library...and I listen to em often. Yeah, I'm ashamed as hell.

man, all FFVIII tracks are wonderful!
----
IntoPlighT said: "Slipknot is 15 years old how the fuck is that Nu metal?"

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
24.08.2008 - 14:01
^Necrolust^
Written by Number Juan on 27.03.2008 at 03:21

I know it decreases my sperm count everytime I listen to them but........

ABBA.

I love ABBA aswell but why should we be ashamed of it?
----
Sin my soul,blesses with fire....
25.08.2008 - 04:16
Number Juan
Written by ^Necrolust^ on 24.08.2008 at 14:01

Written by Number Juan on 27.03.2008 at 03:21

I know it decreases my sperm count everytime I listen to them but........

ABBA.

I love ABBA aswell but why should we be ashamed of it?

The thing about ABBA is that they are the kinda thing you hide from people.

But in all seriousness, I don't care what people think about what I listen to.
----
A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand. - Bertrand Russell
25.08.2008 - 12:51
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
The Village People...

yes, I do listen to them still occassionally, ask Lucas/Nervel & Ivan they have seen a tape I have by them
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

25.08.2008 - 18:22
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 25.08.2008 at 12:51

The Village People...

yes, I do listen to them still occassionally, ask Lucas/Nervel & Ivan they have seen a tape I have by them

seen... good, so they haven't listened to it

YMCA is a pretty decent song though lol

and yeah, for the record, i like most disco songs, and 80s pop, at least it's better than the shit that's flooding the dance clubs now, though i do not feel shame in any way for liking this music.
29.08.2008 - 08:20
Oracle
Orcinus
I like Delta Goodrem.
and also like Hilary Duff, Lindsey Lohan, Hannah Montana(Miley Cyrus), Rhianna, Jennifer Lopez, Britney Spears, Christina Aguilera and that chick that sings 'I Kissed A Girl'... Lol nah joking about all those but i do like Delta Goodrem though, Kind of ashamed of it though
29.08.2008 - 12:47
Oracle
Orcinus
Written by Guest on 29.08.2008 at 12:24

Written by Oracle on 29.08.2008 at 08:20

also like Hilary Duff, Hannah Montana (Miley Cyrus) and Britney Spears

I have a really soft spot for all these artists but I am not ashamed of it, fukk no proud of it all the way

haha well i was kidding about liking them and you probably are too... If not, then thats ok
11.09.2008 - 01:12
Black Mass
Bon Jovi