Metal Storm logo
Demon's Souls

10.10.2010 - 17:07
Vunts
So, a topic about one great game, even if a bit flawed.

I got it on the note that it was said to be brutally punishing, and that is true. The game slauthers you if you act like an idiot and rush into combat. However, if you manage to keep a level head, then it doesn't screw you over with impossible battles or anything like that. This is what I love about the game. It doesn't have sequences where you know that you're doing everything right, but still fail. After every death you think 'yeah, should have done that instead'. Sure, sometimes the controls mess up the play a bit, like when you try to roll in one direction, but end up falling over a ledge when the boss has only 5% of health left (god damn Maneater), but they are rare.
The classes are nice, but it's a bit disappointing that by the end of the game, it won't matter what class you started as, since you can craft them at will, and they don't really have any uniqueness to them, other than the class name. I'm not at the end yet, only about 50 or 60 percent on the way, and even though I'm liking my thief who in pvp usually uses magic attacks, then it still feels a bit weird.

Coming to the PvP then, I love it. There's no better feeling than invading someone and seeing 3 enemies rush against you, and in the end getting the target to his last breath, only to be denied the final blow by his partners. The lack of communication within the game lacks, but the concept itself is glorious.

One thing that is a bit of a letdown though, is that most of the boss battles are exploitable. After failing many times on Maneater, I just decided to kill the first one without even entering the boss zone. And that's not even the worst of it. I don't know if the devs left the options there purposely, because every boss fight has at least some kind of exploit, either by environment or other mechanics, so it doesn't feel like an accidental fuckup.

Overall though, the game has a great feel. It's made in Japan, but it doesn't have the typical JRPG feeling to it. The music is solid, even though only a few tracks work outside the game (in game, everything so far has provided the perfect mood). Sound effects for sword slashes and magic effects feel as realistic as magic and sword slashes can be, and the graphical design for the levels and monsters is varied and detailed.

One of the best RPGs by far and it is a must have for any PS3 owner in my opinion (and the opinion of plenty of other people)!
07.11.2010 - 22:02
MetalSpider
This is definitely one of the best PS3 games Ive played. Its also one of the most difficult and challenging but its very rewarding. Sure it gets a bit frustrating with certain boss fights (and not necessarily because they are hard fights) and even certain areas with lots of enemies (or just tough and annoying enemies), but when you actually manage to move on, its really rewarding. This is definitely a game worth playing. I'd love to see Demon's Souls 2 and how they can improve upon the first one.
----

Thanks to Corrupt for these banners!
19.11.2010 - 21:15
Dark Blood
The Avenger
I started playing it recently. A friend of mine lent me his and I was quite surprised on how great this game is. It's one of the most difficult games I've played in years, and that's a great thing. Cause, let's face it, nowadays games are easy as shit and it's good to have some difficulty sometimes.
The great thing about it is, as said before, how rewarding it is after we beat a certain point. And another thing that I love is that when you lose you have the feeling that it was YOUR mistake and not the fact that it's difficult. Most of the times that's what happens, and if we know how certain enemies act, we know exactly how to react to that. If we die, it's cause there was something we did that didn't go right.

Great game indeed. And certainly one of the best on PS3.
----
It is humanity who must pay homage to the greatness of the Universe... not the Universe to the human narcissism.