Metal Storm logo
Forest Of Shadows

Original post

Posted by Anathemani@c, 31.08.2006 - 11:40
Yesterday I downloaded their "Where dreams turn to dust" ep and I was really amazed by the atmosphere they achieve.. Funeral, atmospheric doom metal is their style.. Or that's how I would subscribe it.. If you know them, let me see what you think of them and what which alboum would you suggest me...
16.09.2008 - 10:36
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
i didnt like Ningizzia so much. i dont say that Ningizzia is a bad band but i cant compare it to Forest Of Shadows. Niclas showed that he has a very creative mind (when i listened to his new song). the bad thing is that i couldnt find the song: "Slef Destructive" for download. (good quality)
10.11.2008 - 11:25
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Finally found it. its a nice album, but not better than the old ones. but i liked it so much thank Niclas.
10.11.2008 - 11:58
-DC-002-
Mastercommander
I like this band. I only know whats on their Myspace but its pretty crazy and cool
----
Coldgrits
11.11.2008 - 10:11
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Self Destructive is maserpiece at their new album

I have the 2 forest of shadows originals, but not this last album (( i want it sooon.
17.12.2008 - 05:33
the stranger
Forest Of Shadows is in my humble opinion one of the greatest doom bands(or solo-project) ever. I think that when Micce left the band it lost a lot. Departure is great, awesome, amazing, but Where Dreams Turn To Dust is just... let's say... an ocean of overwhelming feelings, a unique piece of art, music that achives a level of expression that can not be reached agian easily, not by band and least by someone else, it grows with over the time, no matter how long ago you heard it it's still going to make you feel like if you had just lost what is most meaningful to your life, like if you can never get hold of it again, ever, it makes you awe in despair, in melancholy and I was bloody glad when I got my package from Amazon with it inside. I could go on describing Where Dreams Turn To Dust, but I don't want to bore people and if I make it too long noone will read besides myself.
17.12.2008 - 10:08
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Written by the stranger on 17.12.2008 at 05:33

Forest Of Shadows is in my humble opinion one of the greatest doom bands(or solo-project) ever. I think that when Micce left the band it lost a lot. Departure is great, awesome, amazing, but Where Dreams Turn To Dust is just... let's say... an ocean of overwhelming feelings, a unique piece of art, music that achives a level of expression that can not be reached agian easily, not by band and least by someone else, it grows with over the time, no matter how long ago you heard it it's still going to make you feel like if you had just lost what is most meaningful to your life, like if you can never get hold of it again, ever, it makes you awe in despair, in melancholy and I was bloody glad when I got my package from Amazon with it inside. I could go on describing Where Dreams Turn To Dust, but I don't want to bore people and if I make it too long noone will read besides myself.

and what is ur opinion about "Six Waves of Woe"?
17.12.2008 - 19:07
the stranger
Written by [user id=31891] on 17.12.2008 at 10:08

Written by the stranger on 17.12.2008 at 05:33

and what is ur opinion about "Six Waves of Woe"?

Haven't heard anything yet. I suppose in the next months I'll get it. I'm looking forward to it. I was thinking that the album would be released next year.
By the way, the official band site is better than ever.
17.12.2008 - 22:19
Tony Harrison
I have no arms..
Written by [user id=31891] on 11.11.2008 at 10:11

Agreed on that, but Pernicious is also pretty amazing! I've heard the majority of their new album and it's definately been worth the wait. The electronic element introducted on Departure seems more present than before, but quite liking it and think it adds to the general coldness of the music.
----
This is an outrage...
17.12.2008 - 22:54
the stranger
Written by Tony Harrison on 17.12.2008 at 22:19

Agreed on that, but Pernicious is also pretty amazing! I've heard the majority of their new album and it's definately been worth the wait. The electronic element introducted on Departure seems more present than before, but quite liking it and think it adds to the general coldness of the music.

All those elements fitted pretty well on Departure. How does it evolve on the new album?
21.12.2008 - 22:14
Tony Harrison
I have no arms..
Written by the stranger on 17.12.2008 at 22:54

Written by Tony Harrison on 17.12.2008 at 22:19

All those elements fitted pretty well on Departure. How does it evolve on the new album?

Niclas seems to have ditched the screaming black metal vocals which were sometimes used on 'Departure', in favour of a mixture of growls and clean vocals, so overall the new album is sounding slightly mellower. As for the song writing, whilst some of the songs are hard to distinguish from one another (although i've only listened to it a few times so far), the quality remains high with decent production and some songs taking on a slightly hypnotic feel as they slowly build up to the inevitable crescendos (take 'Deprived' for example).

Definately a worthy contender for my favourite doom album of the year, although releasing it only now he was cutting it close!
----
This is an outrage...
21.12.2008 - 22:24
Southern Wind
Account deleted
The new album is certainly not as good as that masterpiece called Deaprture, but it's still a great piece of doom metal. I also felt a bit dissapointed about the vocals, they lost some of the desperation in the growling and that amazing darkwave feel with the clean ones, but the songwriting is great. I don't really agree with Tony about the hypnotic feel, which was indeed very important in Departure, but SWOW sounds more like straight-forward doom metal, probably focusing more in the "metal" part of the equation.

Anyway, I hope this album can grow so I can finally enjoy it like I do with Departure, that wasn't an easy listening at first. After all, some doom metal albums had grown montrously with the months this year, to my ears, especially that Mourning Beloveth's.
22.12.2008 - 01:54
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by [user id=5080] on 21.12.2008 at 22:24

The new album is certainly not as good as that masterpiece called Deaprture, but it's still a great piece of doom metal. I also felt a bit dissapointed about the vocals, they lost some of the desperation in the growling and that amazing darkwave feel with the clean ones, but the songwriting is great. I don't really agree with Tony about the hypnotic feel, which was indeed very important in Departure, but SWOW sounds more like straight-forward doom metal, probably focusing more in the "metal" part of the equation.

Anyway, I hope this album can grow so I can finally enjoy it like I do with Departure, that wasn't an easy listening at first. After all, some doom metal albums had grown montrously with the months this year, to my ears, especially that Mourning Beloveth's.

And we agree once again. ALthough I loved Mourning Beloveth's new one form the start hahahahaha.
But this new Forest Of Shadows is a huge disapointment for me. I played it abotu 20 times now and still it is disapointing. Way too mechanical and industrial sounding at times, but at other times it has some really fuckign brilliant moments. But Departure was better in my book. If it would be up to me this one won't get nominated this year.
Like you said, a nice doom album, but that's it for me. Middle of the road, okay not as much middle of the road as Swallow the Cum but still not what could have been.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

22.12.2008 - 02:22
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 22.12.2008 at 01:54

Way too mechanical and industrial sounding at times,

I also agree on that... I really liked the atmosphere from the prevous album. It felt like it came from the nature. But the industrial touches were waaaaay off IMO. Nothing to do with the sound of the band.

Not a bad album.. but I expected more.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
22.12.2008 - 02:58
Daniel
Took a listen to Forest Of Shadows. Really, really, really like.

I will have to get into some other stuff.

Best release in you guys opinion?
----
In The Cold Winds of Nowhere
22.12.2008 - 04:27
the stranger
Written by Daniel on 22.12.2008 at 02:58

Where Dreams Turn To Dust. Just read my post above. I consider it to be one of the best musical achivements ever. In other words, I fucking love it.
22.12.2008 - 10:03
Tony Harrison
I have no arms..
Written by the stranger on 22.12.2008 at 04:27

Written by Daniel on 22.12.2008 at 02:58

Where Dreams Turn To Dust. Just read my post above. I consider it to be one of the best musical achivements ever. In other words, I fucking love it.

I second that, the track 'Eternal Autumn' is my all-time favourite song. Great lyrics plus real desperation in his voice!
----
This is an outrage...
22.12.2008 - 10:30
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
@Marcel, Southern Wind

As I know Departure was a little disappointing for the huge Forest of Shadows's fans! cause they wanted to hear somthin like "Where Dreams Turn To Dust", so Im not agree that Departure was a masterpiece when u compare it with "Where Dreams Turn To Dust". and the other thing is that their new album is a masterpiece. songs r arlight but...

@Tony Harrison
... but Im not agree that the productuion is as well, cause I cant apart all instruments in this album.

but yes, its the best Doom release this year IMO.
27.01.2009 - 16:17
Pegasus
Written by [user id=31891] on 22.12.2008 at 10:30

As I know Departure was a little disappointing for the huge Forest of Shadows's fans! cause they wanted to hear somthin like "Where Dreams Turn To Dust", so Im not agree that Departure was a masterpiece when u compare it with "Where Dreams Turn To Dust". and the other thing is that their new album is a masterpiece. songs r arlight but...

totally agree....nth is comparable to "Where dreams turn to dust"...I can call it as "the perfect doom metal album"..."Wish" lyrics is my most fav lyrics ever...
for the new album i guess it's very good but still not comparable with "where dreams turn to dust"....
----
Still I dream but now I know I dream a lie...so I close my eyes and I die...
03.02.2009 - 17:12
elyar
Account deleted
Forest of Shadows at MS Awards
03.02.2009 - 18:34
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by [user id=37326] on 03.02.2009 at 17:12

They are nominated in the "doom metal" category. So, if you think that album is superior to anything else in that category, go ahead and vote for it.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

03.02.2009 - 19:00
elyar
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 03.02.2009 at 18:34

Written by [user id=37326] on 03.02.2009 at 17:12

They are nominated in the "doom metal" category. So, if you think that album is superior to anything else in that category, go ahead and vote for it.

semms that u dont know me Marc. anyway!
03.02.2009 - 19:01
elyar
Account deleted
It was nice if I could vote with my original nick, but someone banned me cause someone else insulted me. is this a Chines Democrasy or somthing?! lol
07.02.2009 - 23:34
Dest
I've known the band for years, thanks to the Doom Metal Radio playing their song Wish. In the last year I've finnaly been able to lay my hands on their albums. Where Dreams Turn To Dust is truly a masterpiece, and yes, Wish is probably one of the best songs ever created. Their new album is also quite good, I never really got into Departure, but I love Six Waves of Woe.
09.02.2009 - 15:49
dunkelheit_13
Written by Dest on 07.02.2009 at 23:34

I've known the band for years, thanks to the Doom Metal Radio playing their song Wish. In the last year I've finnaly been able to lay my hands on their albums. Where Dreams Turn To Dust is truly a masterpiece, and yes, Wish is probably one of the best songs ever created. Their new album is also quite good, I never really got into Departure, but I love Six Waves of Woe.

I sign it, itsjust what can I say about FOS. and my vote goes for them at MS doom awards for sure but I love In Mourning too! but its somthin like Progressive for me not a doom one.
----
war is over if you want
09.02.2009 - 18:50
ForeverDarkWoods
As far as industrial doom goes, Forest of Shadows are among the top two in the style (the other one being Senmuth from Russia, which is quite different). They also just seem to be getting better and better. Six Waves Of Woe is a masterpiece of the genre (which is quite small), even more so than the earlier material (even if the EP is also very good).
----
Free nations are peaceful nations. Free nations don't attack each other. Free nations don't develop weapons of mass destruction!
- George W. Bush, ex-president of the United States of America
11.02.2009 - 13:33
Dest
Industrial Doom? I've never heard of that genre

Please enlighten me, since I consider FoS to be Death / Doom.
16.02.2009 - 08:08
FOOCK Nam
More atmospheric IMO. I like both the Departure and the new one.
10.03.2009 - 09:31
dunkelheit_13
Written by Dest on 11.02.2009 at 13:33

you are right man, there is no such thing. and FoS is a Dark Metal in Niclas's opinion as he has wrote it at FoS's website. but yes Im agree with about Death/Doom, its more similar to Death/Doom than to Industrial! ppl has to care about lyrics and music togather.
----
war is over if you want
11.03.2009 - 16:45
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Dest on 11.02.2009 at 13:33

It's not like they have the industrial vibe all over it. But in the new album there's a touch of industrial/machenical sounds... No one actually talked about industrial/doom.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
29.08.2009 - 22:15
IllOmenNation
I have talked back and forth with the dude from FoS a few times. I enjoyed some stuff from them and have used it in one of my film projects.
----
Ill Omen Nation - Great Finnish/Scandinavian Metal! http://www.myspace.com/illomennation