08. The Lines In My Hand
09. Folklore
10. Marrow Of The Earth
11. Pyre [DVD bonus]
12. Face In The Snow [DVD bonus]

The Biggest Surprise Of 2011
Featured in "Getting Into: Opeth"

Additional info
Written and produced by Mikael Åkerfeldt.
Mixed by Steven Wilson and Mikael Åkerfeldt.
Engineered by Jens Borgen.
Mastered by Peter Mew at Abbey Road Studios.

"Slither" is a tribute to Ronnie James Dio.

Artwork by Travis Smith.

DVD contains a 5.1 mix of entire album, a "making of" documentary, and a card to download the bonus tracks Pyre and Face In The Snow.

Staff review by
Dream Taster
Rating:
The general consensus when a great band dares to move away from their original Death Metal sound is usually not positive. However Opeth have done it before masterfully with Damnation in 2003. They are back at it with one of the year's most anticipated albums, Heritage.

Cutting to the chase: Compared to their previous releases, Heritage lacks character. Despite the song structures being very progressive rock and the vocals being crazy good, the absence of catchy guitar riffs or memorable growls is a downer. One can positively recognize Opeth as the artist, especially since a lot of the songs borrow tidbits straight from the Ghost Reveries period. Certainly they manage to perpetuate a dark atmosphere throughout the album, but the mellowness of the whole thing is borderline irritating to someone expecting their trademark sound. I know we have been forewarned by Mikael Åkerfeldt himself about this being a throwback kind of release. Still, I believe this would be either catchier or more aggressive. Nevertheless the album does feature good moments, mostly from the jazz-infused portions of the songs.

Read more ››
published 20.09.2011 | Comments (134)

Guest review by
SauradipGhosh
Rating:
Heritage poses more questions than answers. Have Opeth reached a creative cul-de-sac? Have they chucked their "Extreme Progressive Death Metal" for good? Have they finally shed their "Underground Garage Band" (I am quoting Akerfeldt from an earlier interview) and have ventured out into the Pantheon of the "mainstream" Gods from their hallowed underground temple so frequented by hordes of reverent worshipers?

Read more ››
published 29.05.2012 | Comments (32)

Found in 84 lists
Top lists

Comments page 7 / 18

Comments: 520   Visited by: 3052 users
06.09.2011 - 15:16
JD
Account deleted
loool

"I Feel the Dark" is the best song.

'Nuff said!
06.09.2011 - 15:45
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Quote:
Written by (((O))) on 06.09.2011 at 14:47

[Incert rage comment here]

Lets see what happens.

Give me credit for bashing your opinion in a far more civilized manner than the average user.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
06.09.2011 - 16:07
Rating: 8
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
I don't understand the whole unconditional love for "Damnation". Sure, it is a good album, but it isn't the best thing ever released.

But, I'll have to accept people's opinion. That isn't difficult for me.
----

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
06.09.2011 - 16:12
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by BloodTears on 06.09.2011 at 16:07

I don't understand the whole unconditional love for "Damnation". Sure, it is a good album, but it isn't the best thing ever released.

This is what I believe is the cause of it: Opeth fans seem to think that Damnation is the only album within its genre, simply because they don't know any better. Something quite similar happens to Ulver, the average metalhead don't have a clue about electronica and when they enjoy Ulver's stuff they think they are the only band that is awesome in that style.
----
Rod, let me love you.
06.09.2011 - 16:17
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
Written by X-Ray Rod on 06.09.2011 at 16:12

This is what I believe is the cause of it: Opeth fans seem to think that Damnation is the only album within its genre, simply because they don't know any better. Something quite similar happens to Ulver, the average metalhead don't have a clue about electronica and when they enjoy Ulver's stuff they think they are the only band that is awesome in that style.

I think that might be the case, no comparison with anything else or over-embellishment of the album. As far as rating goes, "Damnation" is actually on par with "Heritage" for me since they are both in the 8 range.

Green Carnation's "The Acoustic Verses" is far lesser known and it beats "Damnation" as far as I'm concerned.
----

My Instagram
06.09.2011 - 16:25
JD
Account deleted

This is what I believe is the cause of it: Opeth fans seem to think that Damnation is the only album within its genre, simply because they don't know any better.

I strongly disagree with you.
06.09.2011 - 16:34
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Guest on 06.09.2011 at 16:25

This is what I believe is the cause of it: Opeth fans seem to think that Damnation is the only album within its genre, simply because they don't know any better.

I strongly disagree with you.

I can live with that.
----
Rod, let me love you.
06.09.2011 - 16:57
R'Vannith
ghedengi
Elite

It couldn't possibly be because the album is very good? I guess your generalization is right in a way but I think you neglect the quality of the music itself. But then again maybe I just have an unreasonable liking for 'Damnation', though I like to think I know a little about Prog rock.
Personally I prefer it to most albums Opeth have put out.
06.09.2011 - 17:47
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by R'Vannith on 06.09.2011 at 16:57

It couldn't possibly be because the album is very good? I guess your generalization is right in a way but I think you neglect the quality of the music itself. But then again maybe I just have an unreasonable liking for 'Damnation', though I like to think I know a little about Prog rock.

Yes, it's a generalization. Most generalizations are made because there's truth on it though.
I fail to see how I'm neglecting the music tbh, I like the album a lot, I just fail to understand how so many people scream at the top of their lungs whenever they get the chance to.

Let's face it. 4 pages for an album that isn't even released. There are so many people that will eat the shit out of Mikael anyday and that's clear

EDIT: Just to make some things clear, it's not a problem if you claim the album to be "the shit" because you simply enjoy the music... What I find hilarious are the people that go all "OMFG Opeth is the best band in the world, better than mozart and they are so making their music into the very best of every genre". You would like to think that they are not so many... but no.
----
Rod, let me love you.
06.09.2011 - 18:09
Rating: 9
I am listening to it right now for about the 10th time, and I absolutely love it (and yes of course I bought it, are you out of your mind?). Granted, it is not your typical Opeth album (it is prog-rock for sure with very little metal), however Opeth's core sound is still there though it all. This may sound strange, but a few parts of the album (like Folklore and Slither) actually remind me of little bit of 70's Priest mixed with some of Maiden's more progressive moments. IMO, it is an excellent album, and I would give it an easy 8.5 maybe even higher after a few more listens...

Long live Akerstache!
06.09.2011 - 18:16
Rating: 5
BaneConall
Fart Enthusiast
Based on the first couple listens this album is really boring ....
06.09.2011 - 21:28
DrM
DreaMutilated
Written by BloodTears on 06.09.2011 at 16:17

I think that might be the case, no comparison with anything else or over-embellishment of the album. As far as rating goes, "Damnation" is actually on par with "Heritage" for me since they are both in the 8 range.

Green Carnation's "The Acoustic Verses" is far lesser known and it beats "Damnation" as far as I'm concerned.

Well, it's a matter of taste I guess. I consider myself as someone with varied taste as I enjoy both classic 70s and 80s prog rock and the more extreme genres so I guess I have some base for comparison, and though I find the Acoustic Verse a compelling piece of incredible musicianship I hate to argue that Opeth's Damnation is the better one of the two. This might be a matter of taste, but for me it just feels like Green Carnation's album drags a bit in the middle part, whereas Damnation flows perfectly from its beginning to the end. But that's just my point of view.
06.09.2011 - 21:49
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
Written by DrM on 06.09.2011 at 21:28

Written by BloodTears on 06.09.2011 at 16:17

Well, it's a matter of taste I guess. I consider myself as someone with varied taste as I enjoy both classic 70s and 80s prog rock and the more extreme genres so I guess I have some base for comparison, and though I find the Acoustic Verse a compelling piece of incredible musicianship I hate to argue that Opeth's Damnation is the better one of the two. This might be a matter of taste, but for me it just feels like Green Carnation's album drags a bit in the middle part, whereas Damnation flows perfectly from its beginning to the end. But that's just my point of view.

And I respect your opinion

A lot can be a matter of taste, yes. I'm just against the overrated aspect of "Damnation" and pointless enhancement of its quality just because it is Opeth, if you know what I mean. And I'm a fan of Opeth, so I'm perfectly fit to talk about it.

If you can appreciate it for what it is and know what else is out there not to just focus on one band, I'm fine with that.
----

My Instagram
07.09.2011 - 00:08
Rating: 7
advent
Once you forgot that this is Opeth , put all your expectation behind ,accept the fact that this is a prog. rock album and just in the right mood for it , you will find this album is a good one, not their best effort i must say but it has its moments.
07.09.2011 - 00:41
Joker
This band have just recorded their soundcheck
Re-recording blackwater or still life every year can work just fine for me
07.09.2011 - 01:32
@gent_-_orange
Is it just me or does this album sound like Ghost Reveries if you were to take out all the metal ? (Which is by no means a bad thing)

Very good album this, I didn't think I would like it after the first listen but you never know.... Just give it a chance.
07.09.2011 - 12:21
Silent Jay
Can't say im a massive Opeth fan, only having just Blackwater Park and Still Life before and disliking Watershed.

But im actually quite enjoying Heritage. I can live with this for a while. Fuck the haters.
08.09.2011 - 10:35
R'Vannith
ghedengi
Elite
Written by X-Ray Rod on 06.09.2011 at 17:47

Written by R'Vannith on 06.09.2011 at 16:57

Yes, it's a generalization. Most generalizations are made because there's truth on it though.
I fail to see how I'm neglecting the music tbh, I like the album a lot, I just fail to understand how so many people scream at the top of their lungs whenever they get the chance to.

Let's face it. 4 pages for an album that isn't even released. There are so many people that will eat the shit out of Mikael anyday and that's clear

EDIT: Just to make some things clear, it's not a problem if you claim the album to be "the shit" because you simply enjoy the music... What I find hilarious are the people that go all "OMFG Opeth is the best band in the world, better than mozart and they are so making their music into the very best of every genre". You would like to think that they are not so many... but no.

I see what you mean, there's no doubt that there are some deluded Opeth worshipers out there. Also I didn't mean that you yourself don't account for the level of quality of 'Damnation', just pointing out that in making your generalization about Opeth fans you didn't mention said quality. But it's obvious now that you do consider it (from your EDIT comment)
And yeah 4 pages, now 5, for an unreleased album is quite impressive
08.09.2011 - 12:07
Rating: 6
Daniell
_爱情_
Elite
Opeth is 2nd on the popularity index on this site, only Iron Maiden in front of them, so no wonder that their new release causes so much interest.
08.09.2011 - 15:31
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Daniell on 08.09.2011 at 12:07

Opeth is 2nd on the popularity index on this site, only Iron Maiden in front of them, so no wonder that their new release causes so much interest.

You also have to add the fact that it was going to be a "different album".
----
Rod, let me love you.
08.09.2011 - 18:21
advent
After listening to it around 12 times , i find that it quite amazing at some parts , i also liked some song like "03. I Feel The Dark" and "09. Folklore" ,anyway it has some boring parts made me feel like if they are rehearsing not recording an album, i think they wanted to sound too simple but it failed to catch my attention , maybe this parts will grow on me with time, the album overall stand for it self and it's 7/8 stuff depending on the mood as some member said before , if it had another band label on it i would sure rate it higher and sure this album failed to fill my hunger for Opeth , it is like a dessert consist of one type(prog) you eat,you find it tasty at parts and ordinary at others, and you can't eat it if you felt too hungry for a good written music ( unlike early Opeth albums) , but i was waiting for a big , delicious and varied meal to fill my hunger for years to come.
09.09.2011 - 03:08
Kenos
Account deleted
... Now I have to fully agree with Mr Akerfeldt: an acquired taste. Couldn't be described better.
09.09.2011 - 06:22
Evil Chip
Judging from one listening the album seems to start if not weak a little boring. I mean starts fine but nothing brilliant IMO. From the first five songs I think I feel the Dark is the only really good song, while Nepenthe is way too long and with useless breaks that seem to kill all the atmosphere, at least for me. After Nepenthe all turns really good if not brilliant, except from some atmosphere killing breaks in some passages in Famine that ruined the brilliance of the song. But other than that from this point Haxprocess, The lines in my Hand, Folklore are top Opeth songs. The ending with Mrrow of the Earth its really emotional without turning into something too cliche or for pussy hearts, just straight and heart felt. About the damnation relation, I don't see any other than the only clean vocal focus.
09.09.2011 - 12:04
BehzadSh
Written by Evil Chip on 09.09.2011 at 06:22

From the first five songs I think I feel the Dark is the only really good song, while Nepenthe is way too long and with useless breaks that seem to kill all the atmosphere, at least for me.

I think a progressive metal should be this way, break atmosphere, create new (my opinion)
----
http://www.last.fm/user/behzadsh
09.09.2011 - 18:26
BlankFile
This sounds clearly like a progressive rock cd for what i´ve heard so far of Heritage (1 listen so far). Some parts reminded me of the bands Transatlantic and Pain of Salvation (No wonder Pain of Salvation will be in the Europe tour with Opeth). Well it sounds interesting, really listenable, but not my favourite taste. Some users said here that it resembles Damnation, but i don´t share the same opinion. Damnation has a different style, a darker one, more mellow and malancholic, and its acoustic in general. Personally I prefer albums like Watershed, Morningrise, Still Life, Blackwater Park, Ghost Reveries...
09.09.2011 - 22:12
silenius
Pure cumguzzling pleasure.
10.09.2011 - 05:58
R'Vannith
ghedengi
Elite
Listening to this now, reminds me of early Deep Purple at times, their self titled in particular. Not quite sure what to make of it yet.
10.09.2011 - 12:10
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by BehzadSh on 09.09.2011 at 12:04

From the first five songs I think I feel the Dark is the only really good song, while Nepenthe is way too long and with useless breaks that seem to kill all the atmosphere, at least for me.

I think a progressive metal should be this way, break atmosphere, create new (my opinion)

I understand him. If you break the atmosphere to abruptly... it sounds just awkward.
----
Rod, let me love you.
10.09.2011 - 16:22
BehzadSh
Written by X-Ray Rod on 10.09.2011 at 12:10

Written by BehzadSh on 09.09.2011 at 12:04

I understand him. If you break the atmosphere to abruptly... it sounds just awkward.

Agree, like one in "I Feel the Dark" about 3:00... but opeth always do this you can find similar one in other albums
----
http://www.last.fm/user/behzadsh
10.09.2011 - 17:13
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by BehzadSh on 10.09.2011 at 16:22

Agree, like one in "I Feel the Dark" about 3:00... but opeth always do this you can find similar one in other albums

Well, this will turn up to be a subjetive matter because I feel like the changes has been abrupt (and just plain random like "The Lotus Eater", I mean... it's ridiculous) just recently.
----
Rod, let me love you.

Hits total: 82380 | This month: 110