Metal Storm logo
What after Metal??

Original post

Posted by Bash', 03.09.2006 - 00:03
hey ppl,

i only want to express my feelings toward the thing that i loved, lived Metal..

i loved metal alot, and am listening for it for about 4-5 years, it becames a bestfriend.. lot of times i was going back to metal to solve my problems, when i am disturbed, when everybody left me, when i was alone, when i am angry, happy, sad, in love, in hate, in every moment Metal was my faithfull friend..

after any problem the best thing i've done is listening metal, on my first year on the university, i have NO friends else metal..

AND AFTER THAT ALL...!!!!!

i became so wiered about / with it ... i started to obtain alot of albums ... i now have more than 150 album, and hundreds of singles, i know a bit good amount of metal bands, at least in my country and between my friends, i am the most one who knows about metal bands and styles & countries (of course because of this great site) BUTTT..!!!!

actually there is a number of songs i've bought (from a while) and didn't listen yet, many things downloaded and never listened, always needs new stuff, and don't listen well for them, so weired..!!! the music became a less value to me, since i have alot alot stuff... event the good albums, i may not have the time to play them, or i don't play them without a reason, i don't know how do i act with the taste i used to b4... i feel that am listening for it as a habbit not coz i like it... i am searching alot for a band that i don't know, and that to fill up my time, but whithout satisfying results, seems like i know most of the (good) bands of the styles i liked..

even in the forum, i found it too hard to shoot a post.. i know i am not that active member, but i used to post better on the past...

what a problem, seems like i just want new stuff, and get bored from them just when i put my hands on them even if without listening ...

ppl say something please, i can't understand the situatution..!!!
20.04.2007 - 03:18
Oracle
Orcinus
Written by APOHAKC on 20.04.2007 at 00:52

Written by Oracle on 19.04.2007 at 03:40

Im going to keep listening to metal for the rest of my life. i will never get sick of it.

Are you sure in that? I mean you are only 19 how do you know that, I know people that was just like we, metalheads, and they said too... But now they are not into metal anymore

I meant i think ill listen to metal for the rest of my life. i like the music alot and i cant see myself changing unless the path of metal changes into something different.
20.04.2007 - 05:36
The Alchemist
Metalchemist
Written by Oracle on 20.04.2007 at 03:18

Im going to keep listening to metal for the rest of my life. i will never get sick of it.

Are you sure in that? I mean you are only 19 how do you know that, I know people that was just like we, metalheads, and they said too... But now they are not into metal anymore

I meant i think ill listen to metal for the rest of my life. i like the music alot and i cant see myself changing unless the path of metal changes into something different.

Same with me, but you never know what can change in your life...
----

I'm not afraid to die, I'm afraid to be alive without being aware of it
Sensorium - Epica
20.04.2007 - 08:25
Oracle
Orcinus
Written by The Alchemist on 20.04.2007 at 05:36

I know but i like to think that way though, unless music dramatically changes and my tastes wander then i dont know. but i dont think my tastes in music will change too much :
24.04.2007 - 19:11
Alex Smith
You gotta connect to people as more, as possible. You need for more new friends. I can be the one of them, amigo. You can also connect to me via MSN.
24.04.2007 - 20:54
RavenLord

Actually, studies into the development of musical tastes have shown that the music you listen to in your teenage years is the music you're most likely to listen to for the rest of your life (unless it's some dump teeny-pop, because no way in hell would a 30 year old admit to liking that!)

Myself, I can't see my musical tastes changing dramatically...perhaps broadening into more mainstream rock and blues and stuff, but it's all about metal and classical for me at the minute, and I don't think that'll change.
----
25.04.2007 - 03:15
The Alchemist
Metalchemist
Written by RavenLord on 24.04.2007 at 20:54

Actually, studies into the development of musical tastes have shown that the music you listen to in your teenage years is the music you're most likely to listen to for the rest of your life (unless it's some dump teeny-pop, because no way in hell would a 30 year old admit to liking that!)

Myself, I can't see my musical tastes changing dramatically...perhaps broadening into more mainstream rock and blues and stuff, but it's all about metal and classical for me at the minute, and I don't think that'll change.

Your point is really interesting, and I completly agree when you say that if you listen to teeny pop it's possible that you're not going to listen to it the rest of your life.
I don't think I'm going to change my musical taste dramatically neither, what I don't know is if I'm going to listen Metal the same way I do now in some years. You don't know exactly how life can change when you have to work, when you're a professional, some priorities begin to appear
----

I'm not afraid to die, I'm afraid to be alive without being aware of it
Sensorium - Epica
27.04.2007 - 02:30
A Kat Person
Account deleted
That's why an occasional change of genre is good though... I do believe there is such thing as "too much of a good thing." Sometimes metalheads are so gung-ho about it that they refuse to listen to anything else - then of course it just becomes played out. That chocolate example Nixx gave up there is good... I always think I could eat chocolate every day... but then sometimes I just eat too much of it, and afterwards I have to keep eating something real light like salad for a week and can't deal with chocolate cause I practically overdosed on it... but after I while I go back to it

One of the greatest things about metal, though, is that it is so innovative and varied. I listened to Metallica constantly in the 80s but not anymore (referring to the old stuff of course)... simply because for me it's so played out, when I put on one of their CD's it just doesn't grab me anymore. But there are so many new bands who keep on innovating... that as long as the musicians keep creating interesting new kinds of metal, I can't see myself ever tiring of it as a whole!
14.08.2007 - 10:40
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
i only hope there will be some real metal to listen in the future...just look on the Manowar - the most true metal band ever and their new album from this year - dull film score with one or two listenable tracks...where are the times of Kings of metal ? 20 years in the past...the same new Rhapsody of Fire - almost no more quality epic power metal in Dark Secret Saga (i enjoy one and half song from two albums)...where ended Within Temptation? where are heading Nightwish? into the poppy mainstream...nu-metal bands like LP aren't metal anymore nowadays...those "progressive metal" bands often seems much more as "alternative rock" for me...i'm afraid metal is slowly dying
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

14.08.2007 - 11:09
Pinusar
Account deleted
Maybe it is so, that when you get bored of your favourite bands a bit, the best solution is not to look for other similar bands, but try to get into another genre.
14.08.2007 - 12:23
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
but i'm not bored of them in general...i am bored with their latest production

i just wanna hear good epic-power metal or some challenging battle songs or wonderful sad ballads...and i feel a serious shortage of such a songs in the last years...almost all good stuff i listen to is 2004 or older...
----

14.08.2007 - 16:39
TombstoneHighway
Account deleted
metal's alright i guess

Seriously though, I only listen to metal (mainly), jazz, and electronica, and I couldn't be more satisfied.

Then again, maybe some crazy new style of music will come along and just KICK ASS and I'll scrap all that other stuff.
15.08.2007 - 11:41
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
something even worse that emo? i don't wanna be alive that day when it well happen
----

18.08.2007 - 06:12
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
I hope that emo doesn't take over metal...I don't think that emo will ever take over metal...when it does I will commit suicide...
18.08.2007 - 09:40
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
we still have at home albums like Kings of Metal and noone can take them from us so keep calm and no panic...yet
----

27.08.2007 - 03:37
SteelScream
Account deleted
Response to the Original post:
Calm down man, there is a lot of metal around mate, and you don't have to listen to it all, take a genre and start exploring. My all time favorite is good ol' heavy metal (Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, Motorhead - gods to me). I mean, i don't listen every single song all the time, i mean, i listened them all, some songs i like, some songs are, well, less than listenable.
So calm down, and do whatever the hell you like
Metal is not an obsession, it is a lifestyle
27.08.2007 - 04:13
4look4rd
The Sasquatch
I think this happens to many metalheads, as we get older our music taste changes a bit... It happened with me, a few years ago I basically listened to 100% metal (true metal lol) 24/7, but time passed and now I give a chance to other kinds of music such as prog, folk, alternative rock, bossa nova. However I didnt get tired of metal, I just tryed to listen to other things that are outside the metal circle (which happened to be pretty wide lol.)

Personally I dont see any possible way for a person to just get "tired of metal" because metal has what 10billion subgenres? Just try listening to different stuff, things that you are not used.
----
27.08.2007 - 04:39
selken
Irreligious
Response to the original post:
Well, metal has a huge impact on my life, too, Read my profile... all of that is because of metal.
I happens to me sometimes, for me, metal is the most important thing on my life -after family, but not friends. I have more than 930 albums among bought, downloaded from itunes, downloaded from elsewhere and leased discs. Sincerely I haven't listened to all of them, but I don't get worried for that.
About friends, well, not to be arrogant, but I have kind of good grades, and my few friends are people that have'em, too, not because I choosen them, it was cause we started to get together in hard courses (such as math, programming, etc.) instead. They don't seem to like metal, rather we share games and studies interests, so, is not mandatory for a metalhead to only have metalhead friends, actually I don't have any metalheads as friends.
Maybe, metal is turning so habitual for you that makes you lazy, or something, don't let metal affect your studies.
All of this crap I wrote comes down to this: remember that you (and me) are still too young, you'll have more time to organize your life, so don't worry man.
----
28.08.2007 - 20:24
ScabbeD'~
if u really smell your songs,u never going to say that they became my habits...they will be a part of your life,Real life,if u listen them Really...so,calm down,,,dont explore all the genres...Dont Care whats happened and...Follow your way!;)
29.08.2007 - 19:23
Nazeef
I know what is after Metal... It's Certainly Metal!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I don't know.. another kind of Metal, since Metal existence is related with human existence.
There will be always metal on earth...The cosmos is lavish!!
----
http://www.myspace.com/shallishine
01.09.2007 - 00:02
Ellie
Account deleted
I've had thoughts like yours run through my head before. But then I contemplate about how much of my life is this sub culture and how much I adore it. I mean I wouldn't be this if it wasn't how I wanted to be. It might seem pathetic but it really is my life and I love it like that. I wouldn't ever change it. I feel so lucky because it's something that I can belong to. So many people don't have anything like that in their lives.
13.10.2007 - 22:35
Sonsofsabbath
I listen to many genres of music. It moves in cycles. you have to keep things fresh and interesting. I have explored most popular genres except classical, maybe
e someday. I spent about a year and a half exploring jazz. It stareted with alex lifeson saying he was stan gets in rock in rio. I was curious so i researced getz and fell in love with his soloing. He created bossa nova don't you know. Astrid gilberto has the most innocent voice you will ever hear. Anyways , Then I went back to the beginnig, louis armstrong, the most important musician of the 20th century. It started in new orleans, and was an amalgam.. My exploration eventullay brought me to fusion, ah yes, fusion, 1969, miles davis, john Mclaughlin, chick corea ect.. rock met jazz, if you like metal you will like fusion, john Mclaughlin is an insane soloist, jaco pastorious, will blow your mind on bass. Jazz and metal share some commonalities, but metal seems to be uniquely nothern european white anglo saxon . Jazz on the other handis firmly rooted in black culture, as are most popular north american musical forms, at present anyways.

If you broaden your general musical understanding you will be cultivating a deeper understanding of metal. You may grow out of metal, but you may not, it is continually evolving and you have already created emotional connections with it that will last your life time.

You have to try somwthing different,but don't worry you will be back. Happy travels.
14.10.2007 - 05:29
Torture Killer
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 18.08.2007 at 06:12

I hope that emo doesn't take over metal...I don't think that emo will ever take over metal...when it does I will commit suicide...

now that is funny

But anyway metal is a genre of music that is constantly changing getting better and worse and as long as it keeps getting better i don;t see any reason why i would stop listening to metal.
15.10.2007 - 12:33
Woutjinho
Account deleted
there are hardly any good bands these days. but ofcourse you can still listen to the old albums. it can change but why stop listening to metal?
I cant call metalcore an improvement in metal, but I still listen to metal
16.10.2007 - 08:46
Judas
The Amputator
I think there is a natural evolution of musical taste that will take its course as each person grows. For example, I've gone from listening to Indian music, to rap, to Power Metal, to Extreme Metal, to all Metal, and now I listen to lots of old Progressive Rock too. In 10 years, I don't think I'll listen to Metal as exclusively as I do now. Of course, I'll still listen to it, but the older styles will be more favoured and I'll ignore the modern bands. Even now, after only 3 years of Metal under my belt, I find that the older, more influential bands have more sway with me than newer ones. Some stuff will stay classic, and some stuff that I dislike now will eventually become enjoyable to my ears in its own right.
----
"Once the game is over, the king and the pawn both go back into the same box."
16.10.2007 - 09:27
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by Guest on 15.10.2007 at 12:33

there are hardly any good bands these days. but ofcourse you can still listen to the old albums. it can change but why stop listening to metal?

There are just as many good bands now as there were years ago, unfortunately most of the good bands now are harder to find. ON a mainstream level metal has gotten shittier, but overall, no way.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
16.10.2007 - 15:59
Woutjinho
Account deleted
Written by Doc G. on 16.10.2007 at 09:27

There are just as many good bands now as there were years ago, unfortunately most of the good bands now are harder to find. ON a mainstream level metal has gotten shittier, but overall, no way.

depends on what genre you listen to. decent thrash bands similiar to sepultura and slayer are hard to find. there are good bands but they sure cant compete to those 2 examples
but grindcore on the other hand... very good bands these days still going on
16.10.2007 - 16:19
Opium
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 16.10.2007 at 15:59

depends on what genre you listen to. decent thrash bands similiar to sepultura and slayer are hard to find. there are good bands but they sure cant compete to those 2 examples

You're referring to recent times when you say that, yes? Because I can think of a handful of Thrash bands similar to those two from the 80's/90's, if you needed some recommendations
16.10.2007 - 16:23
Woutjinho
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 16.10.2007 at 16:19

Written by Guest on 16.10.2007 at 15:59

You're referring to recent times when you say that, yes? Because I can think of a handful of Thrash bands similar to those two from the 80's/90's, if you needed some recommendations

yes sure recommendations are always good
but I prefer the 80's more than the 90's. 80's are brilliant, 90's are good
20.10.2007 - 23:15
Remus
If you're asking yourself what comes after metal, then this genre of music is not your definitive preference. You need to do some soul searching to find out what your true favourite music genre is.

With me, metal is my definite preference so i don't need to ask myself what will come after it, as it will never end. That's a fact.

You can't JUST listen to metal though. Very few people perform this feat and still manage to stomach it 5 years after.

I listen to some pop (ok, quite a lot of pop), house, reggae and even some (good) jazz at least once a month. Good music is good music, it doesn't have to be necessarily metal!

Try this ^ , when you come back to metal it will taste, er, sound THAT much sweeter!
----
Procrastinate, NOW!
21.10.2007 - 04:50
O p e t h
Account deleted
when i had a girlfriend i stopped listen metal for a while. we are all time together an we listen the songs that my girlfriend listen just fucking erotic songs. and when we broke up i came back to my music stronger. im afraid to fall in love with a fucking woman because of this