06. Electron
07. Gate 21
08. Yes, It's Genocide
09. Peace Be Revenged
10. Left Of Center
11. Wings Of Summer

Experimental Alternative rock / Neo-progressive rock
Recorded: Home Studio, Los Angeles 2010
Label: Serjical Strike Records / Reprise Records (Warner)
Total Running Time: 44:09

People like Serj Tankian have earned their stripes in the metal biz, and don't need much of an introduction.

...But that's no guarantee for success.

On his second solo album, Imperfect Harmonies, Tankian let his creative juices flow once more and takes it another step further down the bright road of musical experimentation. A road that leads further and further away from what he used to do with System Of A Down - though he still is and stays, y'know, Serj Tankian. More than ever, Tankian reveals himself as a multitalented musical chameleon, blending together elements from a plethora of genres, such as classical rock, electronica, jazz and orchestral music.

This musical rollercoaster is actually anything but metal. Frankly, it's an unexplainable amalgam of schizophrenic yet touching anthems with bombastic symphonic arrangements, and with - of course - an outspoken deeper, darker message of political/environmental/social commentary behind it. And not to forget, Tankian's iconic voice adding some extra color to the genre-tripping compositions. That's basically the short version of the album.

Imperfect Harmonies, crazier than buying hallucinogens from an Andy Warhol soup can. That's basically the main motto of the album.

The biggest pitfall is the naïve search for anything resembling System Of A Down (or even his heavier debut for that matter). It's simply incomparable! So once you're done chasing ghosts and got that certain band out of your system (hiyo!), there's actually a fine piece of art-metal running circles all around you - and you didn't even know it. Sure, this will definitely need more than a few listens to sink in, and sure, you can barely get past Tankian's eccentric personality, but dammit son, nothing in life comes easy.

In the end it all comes down to a matter of perception, mood and timing. Apparently, there're indecisive boundaries between a pretentious piece of shit, a blank stare, and a work of staggering genius.

Written by Thryce | 03.01.2011

Comments page 2 / 2

Comments: 36   Visited by: 408 users
07.01.2011 - 16:48
jadawal

Is everyone going to fall into the social downfall of who's greater? Think for yourself instead of following your master.
07.01.2011 - 16:54
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by jadawal on 07.01.2011 at 16:48

Is everyone going to fall into the social downfall of who's greater? Think for yourself instead of following your master.

Don't make me repeat myself.
07.01.2011 - 17:14
jadawal

Or else what, your smarter and greater don't worry about it. Oh yeah Serj Tankian is an ok artist.
10.01.2011 - 20:37
Rating: 8
Passenger
Lost To Apathy
Fantastic album, it's impressive how Tankian manages to combine so many different elements in these beautiful songs.
----
You don't make up for your sins in church. You do it in the streets. You do it at home. The rest is bullshit and you know it ~ Mean Streets
12.01.2011 - 17:45
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Metal or not, I find Tankian to be a very...passable artist. This album is too ambitious for its own good and just ended up annoying me.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
12.01.2011 - 22:06
Rating: 8
Mikyz

Written by Troy Killjoy on 12.01.2011 at 17:45

Metal or not, I find Tankian to be a very...passable artist. This album is too ambitious for its own good and just ended up annoying me.

Yeah, If you're not a Tankian fan to begin with, I don't see you enjoying this album at all. I personally worship his vocal style and lyrics, so even if the musicianship doesn't impress me much, I still find myself spinning this record. Also, I think the reason why it's so ambitious is because in his last output Elect The Dead he wanted to create something different from SOAD's work but alas turned out similar, so I guess he tried a bit to hard on this one.
----
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone.

Hits total: 8255 | This month: 14